Start by marking “Boogers Are My Beat” as Want to Read:
Boogers Are My Beat

Boogers Are My Beat

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  791 ratings  ·  64 reviews
The New York Times calls him "the funniest man in America," and his legions of fans agree, laughing and snorting as they put his books on bestseller lists nationwide.
In Boogers Are My Beat, Dave gives us the real scoop on:
- The scientific search for the world's funniest joke (you can bet it includes the word"weasel")
- RV camping in the Wal-Mart parking lot
- Outwitting "s
Published September 23rd 2003 by Crown Publishing Group (NY) (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Boogers Are My Beat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boogers Are My Beat

Jaret
This is an awesome collection of Dave Barry's articles from the Miami Herald. He begins his collection with a great laugh at American politics especially the Presidential Election of 2000. He then moves on to articles he wrote about life and his family. I particularly enjoyed the articles about the band he plays in with other authors including Amy Tan and Stephen King. (Poor Amy Tan's husband during "Leader of the Pack") He finishes the collection off on a serious tone. He wrote two articles abo ...more
Dale
Very, very, very good.

Boogers Are My Beat: More Lies, But Some Actual Journalism
is a collection of Dave Barry's columns from the summer of 2000 through September of 2002. They are read expertly by veteran narrator Dick Hill. I usually hear Hill reading crime novels and the like but I was pleased to hear that he has expert comic timing and turns out to be a perfect narrator for Barry's offbeat sense of humor.

Topics include:

*The 2000 Democrat and Republican political conventions;
*The 2002 Salt La
Ariadna73
Here is my review in my Spanish Blog: http://bit.ly/OO5X0S
Journalist Dave Barry discusses matters just as the winter Olympics the cold weather at the cities of Dakota; and the way Florida people use euphemisms to make cockroaches look cool; just by re baptizing them Palm Bugs. I laughed a lot with this book; but also cried a little because the author decided to close it by including to very serious and heartbreaking columns about his impressions on 9/11. He described how Gettysburg has been conv
Steven
I felt that the humor was on par with Barry's other nonfiction works, but what impressed me the most about this book were the final two essays. The first was written immediately after 9/11, the second on the one year anniversary of the attack. I found both essays to be very heart-wrenching and poignant. I might even make a practice of reading them every Patriot Day; not to wallow in the despair and outrage, but to remember the event's impact, especially as the years continue to roll by.
Kathy
Reading (wading through?) this entire book was worth the time spent because of the final two articles which Davy Barry wrote about the 9/11 tragedy.
molly
It's been a long time since I read a Dave Barry book. I read a bunch in the early 90s (note to self: add those books here when you get a chance) when I was an adolescent. I thought he was hilarious. I still think he's hilarious but maybe not quite as hilarious as I remember from when I was a kid. This collection is a bit dated, the columns on the 2000 election and the conventions were likely funnier at the time. But I love the columns on random stuff that baffles him (and the rest of us, too). I ...more
Justin Offermann
Dave Barry is one of the few authors who can consistently make me laugh out loud, even when I'd rather not (as when I'm reading in a public place-the looks some people give you when you laugh out loud while reading a book, it's as if the very idea of the written word being that funny is inconceivable). As a political junkie, I especially enjoyed the columns concerning the 2000 elections, but there wasn't a bad one in the bunch. To echo what others have said, I found the final column in the coll ...more
Jack Oughton
Terrible book title but this guy can be truly hilarious.
Vanessa
Not my favorite Dave Barry compilation, but this is worth a read for his longer-form (and serious) essay on 9/11 alone.
Dolly
Jan 31, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dave Barry fans
Shelves: 2009, humor, nonfiction
Dave Barry has a unique "guy" kind of humor, and yet I find it incredibly funny too. It's probably because he writes in such a self-deprecating way. This is a compiliation of some of his humor columns, ending with two serious essays on 9/11. I really enjoyed reading this book, although it took me longer than usual to get through it. The last two essays were excellent as well, and I finished the book with tears running down my face. I look forward to reading more of his books.
EK
Dec 13, 2007 EK rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those looking for light reading, short articles
You can make money being a) facetious b) funny and dish it out in small doses.

Apropos to what is going on in the US right now, the book does end on a sombre note -- first, Barry's emotional reaction to 9/11, and later, a reflection on what happened later. In a way, a reiteration of the complex American experience in its journey on the war on terror, and surprisingly, a breath of fresh air after the light hearted spin on things.
this was the best Dave Barry book I read in a really long time, if ever. I found myself laughing out loud throughout this book – really cool things like the mountain of garbage and all the other great essays that were so funny. I love Dave Barry's humor most of the time, and this was him at his best. He also had two articles about 9/11 that were very moving and brought tears to my eyes. The book made me laugh and cry.
James
An above average compilation of Dave Barry's Miami Herald humor columns. I write this review only to strongly advise against hearing the book via audio. I concur with Lynn Lusson Magil's review; the narrator, Dick Hill, severely messed up his delivery of Dave Barry's style of humor - reliant on puns at the end of a sentence that aren't conducive to Hill's one-trick staccato pronunciation of them. Read the book instead.
Amanda
I recently read Barry's "Dave Barry Slept Here," and I really enjoyed it, but I liked this so much better. "Boogers are My Beat" is a collection of his collumns, and I must say that I enjoy reading his collumns better than his other works.

As I read, I laughed out loud several times, and it made me happy to see some of his collumns which I remember having read in the newspaper.

Dave Barry pretty much cracks me up.
Neil
It was light and entertaining enough, though I wasn't a fan of the ending. Not that I didn't appreciate the topic of 9/11 or the things that he wrote about it, but it felt seriously out of place as the ending to a book of humourous articles of Dave's over the years. He may consider it some of his best writing, and I may have thought it was pretty good too, but it was in the wrong book.
Joe
A collection of Dave Barry's humor columns from around the year 2000 to 2003. He is a pretty funny writer. It ends with his views of 9/11, one column written a day later, the other one year later. He proves through the beginning of the book what a great comedic writer he can be, but the ending shows what a powerful serious writer he can be as well.
David Allen
Begins with daily columns he wrote about the 2000 political conventions and the 2002 Winter Olympics, follows with some regular columns and ends with two serious pieces about 9/11. Some of his shtick has worn thin, at least with me, but there's funny stuff, such as his visit to North Dakota, where a sewer lift station was named in his honor.
Scott Wright
This was often laugh out loud funny. It's satire and at times heart felt. Weasals chomping on my privates to a beautiful essay on the horrific events in September of 2001. I would reccomend this to people that aren't looking for a story, but want some funny moments in history. Some are dated because...well they are dated.
Joy
I love listening to Dave Barry on tape. He is lots of fun, but I would probably use my reading time for another genre of books. Anyway, he is so funny discussing feng shui, home repair, taxes, "smart" appliances, and the 2000 presidential election. He also had serious thoughts on the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
M.A. Brotherton
I enjoy the works of Dave Barry, and Boogers are My Beat is a nice collection of his columns from the first half of the decade, starting with the 2000 Presidential Elections and moving on to some pretty sad topics to end it all.

A good quick read for people who like disjointed humor columns.

Paul
The book includes Dave Barry's reports from the 2002 Winter Olympics, meaning his take on Salt Lake City and the Mormons. It also includes two excellent, serious essays, one written after 9/11 and one written for the one-year anniversary of 9/11.
Heather Cawte
I'd heard that Dave Barry was funny, but this is the first time I've read one of his collections.

Can't write more now. Off to buy all the others....

(And the two serious pieces at the end, on 9/11, were worth the whole book price on their own.)
Karen
I'm not ashamed to own that I've loved this guy since I was a teenager. Okay, maybe I am just a little. But who can resist a book that makes them laugh aloud every few minutes and insist on reading passages to busy and slightly annoyed spouses?
Ben
I hadn't read any Dave Barry in a while, because his columns hadn't been as sharp as when he was in his prime. This collection of columns isn't as good as his best, but it's as good as his average work, which is still pretty enjoyable.
Chad
A collection of his newspaper columns. The first section is dated humor surrounding the 2000 election that don't hold up after a decade. So far, the other chapters aren't based on current events, and are still fun to read.
Eddy
A great read. A few of the assembled articles in this book were serious. Most were funny and full of Dave's classic wit. A glorious few were hilarious and will make you spew milk out of your nose. You have been warned.
Michelle
I actually listened to this book on tape. There were some good funny parts, especially the ones about his 3 year old daughter. The parts about North Dakota were funny at first but got a bit repetitive.
Jill
Some really funny stuff. Some great stuff even. And some stuff that was not so funny. I was surprised about his 9.11 essays and thought they were good. It's the only serious stuff I know of him writing.
Rachel
I most enjoyed the last two articles, which are serious in tone and deal with the terrorist attacks of 9/11. They are a touching link to what I saw and who I felt and what I thought that day.
Kristin
I was not a huge fan of this book. At times, I had difficulty deciphering between facts and jokes. Maybe I should read the newspaper more often. Additionally, this book is slightly outdated.
  • Dracula is a Racist: A Totally Factual Guide to Vampires
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • A Practical Guide to Racism
  • You're a Horrible Person, But I Like You: The Believer Book of Advice
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry
  • My Custom Van: And 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays that Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Pure Drivel
  • When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home
  • Unnatural Selections
  • Scrum Bums: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Eyeheart Everything
  • Thriving on Vague Objectives
  • The Darwin Awards Countdown to Extinction
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)

“I love the Olympics, because they enable people from all over the world to come together and--regardless of their political or cultural differences--accuse each other of cheating.” 117 likes