Start by marking “The Forsyte Saga” as Want to Read:
The Forsyte Saga

The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Saga #1-3, incl 1.5 & 2.5)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"The Forsyte Saga" depicts the volatile mixture of love and money. The tartly rendered narrative of the Forsyte clan reveals both adultery and intrigue as it pins down the English national character. Translated into many languages and twice made into a television miniseries, "The Forsyte Saga" has been admired ever since its completion in 1922.
Published September 1st 2009 by Barnes & Noble

To ask other readers questions about The Forsyte Saga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forsyte Saga

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughThe Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettThe Ruby Brooch by Katherine Lowry LoganThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryRoots by Alex Haley
Best Family Sagas
11th out of 255 books — 380 voters
Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenBewitching Love Potions & Charms by Raven Tempest
Cover Couples
95th out of 761 books — 576 voters

More lists with this book...

Magrat Ajostiernos
Esta familia y cada uno de sus miembros se van a quedar conmigo durante mucho tiempo...
Carol
Bueno, pues aquí ando, liada con otra lectura del fantástico Club Pickwick. Para el mes de marzo se disputaba leer o bien Emma, de Jane Austen, o bien el primer libro de la Saga de los Forsyte, que finalmente se alzó vencedor de forma aplastante. Yo había votado por el otro, pero tenía claro que saliese el que saliese iba a leerlo. Ya que la saga entera cuenta con más de 900 páginas (recopiladas en un solo volumen) para el club solo se pedía leer el primer libro, El propietario, siendo opcional ...more
Sep 17, 2014 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elana Barton
Shelves: 1001, 2014, kindle
What first struck me about this novel was how it felt like a more fully fleshed out version of Anna Karenina. Soames reminded me of Karenin because they both are generally decent men who are doing the best within their limited natures to make their respective wives happy, but are unable to do so and are baffled that they cannot. They are even more flummoxed when their marriages and their worlds start to change.

Irene on the other hand is much more in control than poor Anna. Just as beautiful and
Harini Srinivasan
This is a grand work, spanning some 50-odd years in the life of a large English family, the Forsytes. The series runs to three trilogies, and this is the first one, beginning in Victorian times. Though very British in its social aspect, the human feelings, failings, relationships and dilemmas of the characters are universal. There always have been Forsytes everywhere, and always will be.

In spite of their acquisitive, possessive natures, which the author deplores, the Forsytes are very likable.
Book Wormy
The Forsyte Saga John Galsworthy
3 Stars

Essentially this is the story of two main characters Soames Forsyte and his wife Irene.

Soames and Irene are the central characters in this novel about family, family secrets and changing times. Through them we learn about the older generation of Forsytes and through them the younger generations are affected with sad consequences.

While I enjoyed this read and following the family down through the generations I much prefer the way Penny Vincenzi handles the s
Yuliana
My most favourite book of all times! I read it three times - twice in translation (Russian and Ukrainian) and then in original. All three times I was impressed with it. The writing is exquisite, really my style, exactly the kind I enjoy.
The story of one man and his emotions throughout three generations, the story of the family, of the country - very gripping. I actually liked the main character even though he is not your typical positive hero; quite on the contrary - cruel, possessive and cold.
Grace
Rating 3.5

This was a long book (892 pages)telling the story of the Forsythe family over several generations. I think this was initially written as separate books and I got the impression that the books were written several years apart because the style of writing was very different.

I'm glad I read this, although I wondered if I would ever finish it. The start was very slow and it took a while for me to get into the story. I enjoyed the latter part of the book because the story flowed a bit faste
Erin
I read this wanting to see the PBS production after reading it and became so involved in the characters and their struggles and victories. It is written in a very interesting point of view. You really only get inside the heads of the Forsyte's themselves despite the numerous hangers on around them. It is a fractured family and will definitely make you feel better about yours. It's an interesting insight into Victorian, turn of the century era London and the society. If you liked Vanity Fair you ...more
Philip
Ah, the Forsytes - what a family! One becomes irresistibly drawn into their escapades and foibles (especially if one has also seen the superb 1967 television series adapted from this trilogy and the companion trilogy, A MODERN COMEDY). There are characters you'll love to hate, and characters you'll almost hate yourself for loving - THE FORSYTE SAGA has it all as it chronicles this singular family from the Victorian era through the 1920s.
Chris Gager
I really don't know what rating to give it. I just remembered it. A part of the curriculum in English at Loomis though we only had to read the first part. I'm not sure I even got through that. Tough reading for a teenage American boy interested in Playboy and sports. Old Jolyon... Young Jolyon etc. and on and on. Made into a classic Masterpiece Theater series starring Eric Porter(I think). Date read is a guess.
Ann L. Arnold
Lanquidly longing looks

This story of a family's stormy course through the end of the Victorian Age focuses on the longings of one of its members for things he can never grasp. Though it progresses slowly, as perhaps kiss proper for the era it depicts, it does contain some beautiful images and some suspense. Worth a read if you have the time.
Shawna
The three books that make up The Forsyte Saga are brought together here for over 800 pages of family drama! The Forsyte family is deeply connected to money and property in Victorian England. The book follows the whole family, but the main story centers around Soames and his narrow view of property, which includes people, and how that affects his relationships.
Mary
I found this rather a struggle. It has all the elements of a sensation novel, but plods through them in such a terribly ponderous way. And I couldn't warm to any of the characters.

I have the other volumes in the 'Forsyte Chronicles' but I'm not sure I can bring myself to continue in this world.
Nadyne
Nov 20, 2011 Nadyne marked it as to-read
Other thoughts/reviews:

luxury Reading: http://luxuryreading.com/forsytesaga/...
A look at an upper middle class English family over three generations in the early 1900's. Enjoyable.
AKbooks
Three and a half stars.
Alexis
Aug 29, 2011 Alexis marked it as to-read
Free from Amazon
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Katrina Hutchins
Katrina Hutchins marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Elizabeth Lemke
Elizabeth Lemke marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
NAINA
NAINA marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Ceci
Ceci marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Jessie
Jessie is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2015
Dlafave
Dlafave marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Sarah Ryman
Sarah Ryman marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Olive Sparrow
Olive Sparrow marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Please edit this book's series info 9 22 May 23, 2015 04:32PM
  • Miss Mackenzie
  • Complete Barchester Chronicles
  • A Tale of a Tub
  • Great Ghost Stories (Thrift Editions)
  • Feeding The Mind (Collected Works Of Lewis Carroll)
  • Life After Death: A History of the Afterlife in Western Religion
  • Warrior's Lady (Stones of Destiny, #3)
  • The Secret of the Island
  • Glastonbury: The Novel of Christian England
  • Philippe Derblay o Amor y orgullo
  • The Savage Curtain (Dragonblade Trilogy, #3)
  • Citizen of the World: The Life of Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Volume One: 1919-1968
  • A Knight To Desire (The Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars, #3)
  • The Warrior's Maiden
  • A Bloodsmoor Romance
  • Doctor Marigold
  • A Knight's Persuasion (Knight's, #4)
John Galsworthy was an English novelist and playwright whose literary career spanned the Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian eras.

In addition to his prolific literary status, Galsworthy was also a renowned social activist. He was an outspoken advocate for the women's suffrage movement, prison reform and animal rights. Galsworthy was the president of PEN, an organization that sought to promote intern
More about John Galsworthy...

The Forsyte Saga (4 books)
  • The Man of Property
  • In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga)
  • To Let
  • Собственник. Последнее лето Форсайта (Сага о Форсайтах, #1)
The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3) The Man of Property To Let In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga) The White Monkey (The Forsyte Saga)