Start by marking “Hummingbird Book” as Want to Read:
Hummingbird Book

Hummingbird Book

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Attract amazing hummingbirds to your backyard With this comprehensive, beautifully illustrated guide, you'll find it easy to attract these tiny jewel-like birds to your own yard. The Stokes Hummingbird Book provides all the information you need to bring hummingbirds up close, identify them, and understand their fascinating and varied behavior. The book includes: * Range ma ...more
Published November 16th 2008 by Little, Brown & Company (first published September 19th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Hummingbird Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hummingbird Book

Kathryn
I learned some fascinating stuff about hummingbirds. a few highlights:

* Hummingbirds have the largest known relative heart size of all birds
* A hummingbird can consume half its weight in sugar each day
* A hummingbird can fly at 45 mph and can go forward, backward, or upside down
* One type of hummingbird migrates 3,000 miles each year.
* Hummingbirds are fierce little creatures
* When they're really tired, hummingbirds go into a state of torpor, where they seem to be dead
* (my favorite) They make
Tony Taylor
I checked this book out from the library as a resource for learning a little more about hummingbirds... those fascinating little wisps of birds that frequent my feeder throughout the day.

The book is full of useful illustrations and photographs, as well as facts and lists related to hummingbirds and their habitats. It is a good basic reference books, but does not delve very much into the many species of hummingbirds found around the world.
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in hummingbirds
Shelves: birding
This is a great book for anyone who wants to learn about hummingbirds. It has great information on how to feed them, where to place feeders, how to attract them, as well as a lot of things I didn't know already. The pictures are great (actual color photos) and show many different kinds of hummingbirds, their nests, and babies. I read the whole thing in about an hour or so and I just love looking at all the beautiful photos.
Megan
Good, basic information. General for the entire US, not specific to any region.
Sheila
Worked like a charm; my place is Hummingbird Central.
Karen
A basic introduction and some good photographs.
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
April
April added it
Apr 03, 2015
michelle lepp
michelle lepp is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2015
Jo Perry
Jo Perry marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Wendie Warner
Wendie Warner marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Jessica Claycomb
Jessica Claycomb marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Amel
Amel marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Jennaah
Jennaah marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Rosa G. Brinkman
Rosa G. Brinkman marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Stokes Field Guide to the Birds of North America Stokes Field Guide to Birds: Eastern Region Stokes Beginner's Guide to Birds: Eastern Region Stokes Field Guide to Birds: Western Region Stokes Guide to Bird Behavior, Volume 1