Hummingbird Book

Hummingbird Book

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Attract amazing hummingbirds to your backyard With this comprehensive, beautifully illustrated guide, you'll find it easy to attract these tiny jewel-like birds to your own yard. The Stokes Hummingbird Book provides all the information you need to bring hummingbirds up close, identify them, and understand their fascinating and varied behavior. The book includes: * Range ma...more
Published November 16th 2008 by Little, Brown & Company (first published September 19th 1989)

Kathryn
I learned some fascinating stuff about hummingbirds. a few highlights:

* Hummingbirds have the largest known relative heart size of all birds
* A hummingbird can consume half its weight in sugar each day
* A hummingbird can fly at 45 mph and can go forward, backward, or upside down
* One type of hummingbird migrates 3,000 miles each year.
* Hummingbirds are fierce little creatures
* When they're really tired, hummingbirds go into a state of torpor, where they seem to be dead
* (my favorite) They make...more
Tony Taylor
I checked this book out from the library as a resource for learning a little more about hummingbirds... those fascinating little wisps of birds that frequent my feeder throughout the day.

The book is full of useful illustrations and photographs, as well as facts and lists related to hummingbirds and their habitats. It is a good basic reference books, but does not delve very much into the many species of hummingbirds found around the world.
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone interested in hummingbirds
Shelves: birding, own
This is a great book for anyone who wants to learn about hummingbirds. It has great information on how to feed them, where to place feeders, how to attract them, as well as a lot of things I didn't know already. The pictures are great (actual color photos) and show many different kinds of hummingbirds, their nests, and babies. I read the whole thing in about an hour or so and I just love looking at all the beautiful photos.
Megan
Good, basic information. General for the entire US, not specific to any region.
Sheila
Worked like a charm; my place is Hummingbird Central.
Karen
A basic introduction and some good photographs.
D
KC
KC marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Brenda Oldfield
Brenda Oldfield marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Mark
Mark is currently reading it
May 21, 2013
Patri
Patri added it
Feb 27, 2013
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2012
Luvaneezer
Luvaneezer marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2012
The Stokes Field Guide to the Birds of North America Stokes Field Guide to Birds: Eastern Region Stokes Field Guide to Birds: Western Region Stokes Guide to Bird Behavior, Volume 1 Stokes Beginner's Guide to Birds: Eastern Region