Start by marking “1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace” as Want to Read:
1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace

1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace (Irish Century Novels #5)

The Irish Century concludes in this climactic novel; Llywelyn's masterpiece is complete

The Irish Century series is the story of the Irish people's epic struggle for independence through the tumultuous course of the twentieth century. Morgan Llywelyn's magisterial multi-novel chronicle of that story began with 1916, which was followed by 1921, 1949, and 1972. It now conclud
Published July 1st 2010 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 1999, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1999

Michael
This was the hardest book in Llywelyn's The Irish Century series for me to read because it is so recent history, and the story has not yet come to a finish. I remember watching the news, and reading about what was happening in northern Ireland, not quite understanding intellectually, but knowing in my heart where my loyalties lay. Later, I was privileged to meet some of the people Llywelyn writes about, and thank God most of them are still alive and guiding Ireland to a peaceful future.

I highly
Joe McMahon
May 23, 2017 Joe McMahon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to agree with the general mood of the other reviewers. There were some inconsistencies in the fictional plot, but it was bearable. Two topics stand out in my interest: the extent to which loyalty can be destructive; and the role of collusion between a government's secret agencies and people who murder.
Sara
Sep 15, 2012 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking up right where 1972 left off, Bloody Sunday, 1999 is the final novel in the Irish Century series. This book is filled to the brim with the tension, mayhem and horror that marked the last quarter of the 20th century in Ireland. Events from Bloody Sunday, the random murders of the Irish people for nothing more than their religion, the bombing of Dublin, the explosion that killed Lord Mountbatten and his grandchildren while boating, the interment of suspected Volunteers in inhumane conditio ...more
Katy M
May 30, 2016 Katy M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book felt rushed. I don't know if the author just got sick of the series. Or, if there was too much info for one book, but not enough for two. The last 10 years or so just felt like it was on fast forward.

I haven't like Ursula since 1949, and while she was more likeable as an old lady, I didn't really feel she redeemed herself in my eyes. And, Barbara. Is anyone really that self-centered? We are all, every one of us, self-centered to a certain degree. But, I swear, Barbara thinks people exi
Mary Alaga
Mar 22, 2012 Mary Alaga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best series I have ever read. From 1916 to 1999, I feel that I have a better understanding of the Irish experience. How the Irish just wanted to be their own country, to be free to rule themselves, but the interests and the might of the English government wouldn't allow it .
I remember the the one sided filtered press that we (the U.S.) got about what was happening in Ireland. The atrocities committed by the IRA, but not the atrocities committed by the British Military. We he
Katrina
While I didn't enjoy this book as some of the others in the series, overall it was a good book! I didn't think the author did as well of a job explaining all the different parts of Irish politics in the late 70s, 1980s and 1990s but it was good none the less. The one thing I really didn't like about it and why it didn't get four stars was (view spoiler) ...more
Tom
Jul 23, 2012 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the best historical fiction I've ever read. In fact, most of these books in her Irish Century series have been a little dull. I like the story, and liked the exposure to the characters thinking. Inasmuch as I lived through a lot of the events talked about in the book, or rather, I was alive during, it was interesting to see them from a different point of view. The story itself, though, is fairly week, and the book is only as long as it is because of the use of quotes and little snipp ...more
Joe Kendall
This is the last book in a gripping series about the Irish Troubles during the twentieth century. This last installment takes place between Blood Sunday 1972 and 1999. Llywelyn does a fantastic job bringing the reader in and ride the emotional roller-coaster that is the Irish life. She does a fantastic job of showing all the good that the IRA could do and all the bad that they did with it. How the different sects of unionists were ruthless to anyone that was not them. And how the British managed ...more
Pam Diggins
Mar 29, 2015 Pam Diggins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a really difficult time rating this book and series.
It is a very readable way to learn the history of 20th century Ireland as it mixes actual history with the fictional Halloran family's story over several generations. My criticism is that the author's presentation at times was unsophisticated and also random facts and world history were not smoothly cited.
But I ended up giving it 4 stars as it was so informative without the dryness of a textbook. The books certainly enriched my last two
Alma  Ramos-McDermott
Barry Halloran’s personal fight as a photojournalist against Ireland’s occupation by the British continues in the last book of The Irish Century series. In “1999” readers are infused with information about the various IRA Republican factions which continued their battles for a united Ireland, contrasted with crimes committed against Catholics by British and Protestant organizations aided and abetted by local police. Read the rest of the review on my blog: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress....
Kathryn
Jul 10, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last in a set of novels covering a century of Irish history. Well-written and researched with a true flavor of the culture and politics of the nation, I now want nothing more than to read more about the country's history, which is far more complicated than the BBC would have had us believe.
Karen Gibson
Sep 14, 2015 Karen Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book in Llywelyn's Irish Century series. It was good, but somehow this one and 1972 just didn't draw me in like the first three books of the series did. I'm glad I read the whole series, though. I feel like I have a little better grasp of the players and events in Ireland's quest for independence.
Amanda
Apr 13, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a while to get through this last one but worthwhile and educational series!!

I felt that this novel had less character development, that it simply focused on fact and less on emotion and the characters.

BUT so glad I read them. Loved the whole series!! I just wish there was a little more life in this conclusion.
Cris
Jul 18, 2014 Cris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in Llywelyn's Irish Troubles series. All of them are well-written books. I was in Ireland twice during the late 90s as the peace talks emerged. This particular book targets that recent history and is the stronger part of the book. The family story line in this one almost gets in the way of the unfolding violent and challenging 1970-1990 Irish history timeline.
Michele
Mar 05, 2008 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm usually very opposed to mixing fiction and non-fiction, but I think Llywelyn does it about as well as anyone could. I loved this entire series. I'm sorry there are no more novels to follow in this series, but that's really a good thing, given the subject matter.
Candy
Sep 01, 2010 Candy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final book of the series was as absorbing and informative as the other books. I'm so glad that I read this series. I've learned a lot about the history of Ireland and better understand the situation between the North and the South.
Shawna
Jan 18, 2013 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I loved this book, I had the same problem as I did with 1972. I couldn't get attached to the characters throughout the story. I enjoyed the story itself and if you've already read the rest of the series, you should absolutely check it out.
Kathleen

Much slower moving than other books in the series, but a fitting conclusion overall.
Gail
Jul 23, 2008 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irish History - the way it was so not very long ago..must read before a trip to Northern Ireland!!
Vionna
Jun 04, 2014 Vionna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book kept telling the story of life in Ireland which was fraught with danger and hatred. Peace finally came to gorgeous country. The characters in this book will long be remembered.
Natasha
Nov 19, 2012 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE Ireland and LOVE historical fiction so these are a favorite
Kathy
Apr 16, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifth in a series about the history of Ireland. The author is one of my favorites.
Esther
May 18, 2014 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the story itself seemed slightly weaker than in the other books. but irish peace talks amd its setbacks tell a story of their own
Susan
Dec 17, 2007 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry to see this series end.

This was not the strongest book of the series but still an excellent read.
Mary Korey
Dec 07, 2015 Mary Korey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read about a time I lived but told through different eyes. The book is well researched.
Shiva Seven
Shiva Seven rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2014
Bill Sullivan
Bill Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Gennaro Milo
Gennaro Milo rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
Joe Diate
Joe Diate rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Claddagh Ring: Ireland's Cherished Symbol of Friendship, Loyalty, and Love
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)
  • Tipperary
  • The IRA
  • Daughter of Ireland
  • The Book of Kells
  • My Heart is Not My Own
  • The Oxford History of Ireland
  • Bobby Sands: Writings from Prison
  • The Death of a Joyce Scholar (Peter McGarr, #8)
  • The Rebels of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #2)
  • The Red-Haired Girl from the Bog: The Landscape of Celtic Myth and Spirit
  • The Great Hunger: Ireland 1845-1849
  • Ireland's Pirate Queen: The True Story of Grace O'Malley, 1530-1603
  • Mother Ireland: A Memoir
  • The Big Fellow: Michael Collins and the Irish Revolution
  • The Bodhran Makers
  • Mick: The Real Michael Collins
Morgan Llywelyn (born 1937) is an American-born Irish author best known for her historical fantasy, historical fiction, and historical non-fiction. Her fiction has received several awards and has sold more than 40 million copies, and she herself is recipient of the 1999 Exceptional Celtic Woman of the Year Award from Celtic Women International.
More about Morgan Llywelyn...

Irish Century Novels (5 books)
  • 1916: A Novel of the Irish Rebellion
  • 1921: The Great Novel of the Irish Civil War
  • 1949: A Novel of the Irish Free State (Irish Century)
  • 1972: A Novel of Ireland's Unfinished Revolution (Irish Century)

“We have freedom of the press; I think it’s guaranteed in the Constitution or something.”   The” 1 likes