1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace

1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace (Irish Century Novels #5)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Irish Century concludes in this climactic novel; Llywelyn’s masterpiece is complete

The Irish Century series is the story of the Irish people’s epic struggle for independence through the tumultuous course of the twentieth century. Morgan Llywelyn’s magisterial multi-novel chronicle of that story began with 1916, which was followed by 1921, 1949, and 1972. It now conclud...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

Joe Kendall
This is the last book in a gripping series about the Irish Troubles during the twentieth century. This last installment takes place between Blood Sunday 1972 and 1999. Llywelyn does a fantastic job bringing the reader in and ride the emotional roller-coaster that is the Irish life. She does a fantastic job of showing all the good that the IRA could do and all the bad that they did with it. How the different sects of unionists were ruthless to anyone that was not them. And how the British managed...more
Sara
Picking up right where 1972 left off, Bloody Sunday, 1999 is the final novel in the Irish Century series. This book is filled to the brim with the tension, mayhem and horror that marked the last quarter of the 20th century in Ireland. Events from Bloody Sunday, the random murders of the Irish people for nothing more than their religion, the bombing of Dublin, the explosion that killed Lord Mountbatten and his grandchildren while boating, the interment of suspected Volunteers in inhumane conditio...more
Mary Alaga
This was one of the best series I have ever read. From 1916 to 1999, I feel that I have a better understanding of the Irish experience. How the Irish just wanted to be their own country, to be free to rule themselves, but the interests and the might of the English government wouldn't allow it .
I remember the the one sided filtered press that we (the U.S.) got about what was happening in Ireland. The atrocities committed by the IRA, but not the atrocities committed by the British Military. We he...more
Michael
This was the hardest book in Llywelyn's The Irish Century series for me to read because it is so recent history, and the story has not yet come to a finish. I remember watching the news, and reading about what was happening in northern Ireland, not quite understanding intellectually, but knowing in my heart where my loyalties lay. Later, I was privileged to meet some of the people Llywelyn writes about, and thank God most of them are still alive and guiding Ireland to a peaceful future.

I highly...more
Tom
This is not the best historical fiction I've ever read. In fact, most of these books in her Irish Century series have been a little dull. I like the story, and liked the exposure to the characters thinking. Inasmuch as I lived through a lot of the events talked about in the book, or rather, I was alive during, it was interesting to see them from a different point of view. The story itself, though, is fairly week, and the book is only as long as it is because of the use of quotes and little snipp...more
Vionna
The final book kept telling the story of life in Ireland which was fraught with danger and hatred. Peace finally came to gorgeous country. The characters in this book will long be remembered.
Esther
the story itself seemed slightly weaker than in the other books. but irish peace talks amd its setbacks tell a story of their own
Amanda
Took a while to get through this last one but worthwhile and educational series!!

I felt that this novel had less character development, that it simply focused on fact and less on emotion and the characters.

BUT so glad I read them. Loved the whole series!! I just wish there was a little more life in this conclusion.
Kathryn
This is the last in a set of novels covering a century of Irish history. Well-written and researched with a true flavor of the culture and politics of the nation, I now want nothing more than to read more about the country's history, which is far more complicated than the BBC would have had us believe.
Michele
I'm usually very opposed to mixing fiction and non-fiction, but I think Llywelyn does it about as well as anyone could. I loved this entire series. I'm sorry there are no more novels to follow in this series, but that's really a good thing, given the subject matter.
Shawna
While I loved this book, I had the same problem as I did with 1972. I couldn't get attached to the characters throughout the story. I enjoyed the story itself and if you've already read the rest of the series, you should absolutely check it out.
Candy
The final book of the series was as absorbing and informative as the other books. I'm so glad that I read this series. I've learned a lot about the history of Ireland and better understand the situation between the North and the South.
Susan
Sorry to see this series end.

This was not the strongest book of the series but still an excellent read.
Gail
Irish History - the way it was so not very long ago..must read before a trip to Northern Ireland!!
Kathleen

Much slower moving than other books in the series, but a fitting conclusion overall.
Kathy
Fifth in a series about the history of Ireland. The author is one of my favorites.
Dan Bob
I really liked the rest of the series but this one I just could not get into.
Natasha
LOVE Ireland and LOVE historical fiction so these are a favorite
Krista
Krista is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Laurie Ann Vasily
Laurie Ann Vasily marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
  • Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland
  • Daughter of Ireland
  • Tipperary
  • The IRA
  • The Rebels of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #2)
  • Redemption Reissue
  • In the Name of the Father: The Story of Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four
  • The Great Hunger: Ireland: 1845-1849
  • The Year of the French
  • The Story of the Irish Race: A Popular History of Ireland
  • Gracelin O'Malley
  • The Great Shame: And the Triumph of the Irish in the English-Speaking World
  • Wars of the Irish Kings: A Thousand Years of Struggle, from the Age of Myth Through the Reign of Queen Elizabeth I
  • Galway Bay
  • Ireland's Pirate Queen: The True Story of Grace O'Malley, 1530-1603
  • Patrick: Son of Ireland
  • Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy
  • Anchored in Love: An Intimate Portrait of June Carter Cash
Morgan Llywelyn (born 1937) is an American-born Irish author best known for her historical fantasy, historical fiction, and historical non-fiction. Her fiction has received several awards and has sold more than 40 million copies, and she herself is recipient of the 1999 Exceptional Celtic Woman of the Year Award from Celtic Women International.
More about Morgan Llywelyn...
Lion of Ireland Druids 1916: A Novel of the Irish Rebellion Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish Red Branch