Start by marking “What Nurses Know ... PCOS” as Want to Read:
What Nurses Know ... PCOS

What Nurses Know ... PCOS

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Polycystic ovary syndrome, or PCOS, is a common endocrine disorder that affects as many as one in 15 women. The symptoms often begin in adolescence and include weight problems, lack of regular menstruation, and excessive amounts of male hormones. While the causes are unknown, insulin resistance, diabetes, hirsutism, and obesity are all strongly correlated with PCOS. What N ...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Demos Health (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What Nurses Know ... PCOS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Nurses Know ... PCOS

Carol Brannigan
Feb 01, 2011 Carol Brannigan rated it liked it
Shelves: reference, er-arc
Since I have been diagnosed with PCOS, I had high hopes for this book. The information presented was accurate, well organized and I am sure I will refer to it from time to time. The only downfall, is much of the information is more of a common sense/common knowledge aspect. Even for people who don't suffer from this- its still always a good idea to be at your ideal wight and to exercise and eat right. These aspects, while good advice aren't overly helpful in the long run. "Easier said than done" ...more
Kat
Feb 19, 2012 Kat rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women with PCOS
This is the first book I've read on the subject, but I've done a lot of reading online from various medical sites & medical forums. This read probably like any other medical book - a lot of it wasn't "in plain english" for me to understand, but I got the gist of it because of other stuff I'd read on the subject.

Really there wasn't much more here to learn other then the fact that depression & anxiety can be triggered and intensified by PCOS. And here I thought it was my old age creeping
Kelly
Mar 30, 2014 Kelly rated it liked it
This is a good book to read if you are interested in a basic overview of the condition, diagnosis, and treatment options.
Leah
Jan 19, 2016 Leah rated it really liked it
Had lots of wonderful information that helped answer a lot of questions I had.
Iva
Jun 01, 2015 Iva rated it really liked it
It's an excellent read on the basics of PCOS and PCOS treatment with some great detail on medication, diet and exercise. It is a must read if you are struggling with PCOS or want to better understand what's going on with a relative, a friend or a partner with PCOS.
Samantha
Aug 22, 2010 Samantha rated it liked it
Good place for those just learning about PCOS to start. At the end of each chapter there are excellent resources for further reading. Perhaps what I enjoyed most were the "testimonials" in each chapter from two women who have PCOS. They did a good job of showing the reader that the symptoms and experience of having PCOS is different for everyone, and that what may be true for one person is not necessarily true for all.
Kara
Jul 22, 2013 Kara rated it liked it
There are a few other books that are much better as far as the topic of PCOS goes. This book was not terrible, but it was very much an overview of different topics and did not go into any depth.
Angie Wolters
Jan 29, 2013 Angie Wolters rated it liked it
Very informative but basic knowledge in this book. I was able to read it in an evening and only had about two moments of aha, new knowledge, in this book.
Allets
Jan 06, 2014 Allets rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely informative. I wish that I would have found it sooner!
James Wegmann
James Wegmann marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Naz
Naz marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Britta
Britta added it
Dec 29, 2015
Hannah Boss
Hannah Boss marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Jessica Thurlow
Jessica Thurlow rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Courtney Ireland
Courtney Ireland marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Dionne Desiano
Dionne Desiano rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2014
Samlopi Lopi
Samlopi Lopi marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Caro
Caro marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Sandra44
Sandra44 marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Sandra44
Sandra44 marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Michelle Evans
Michelle Evans marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
M. L.
M. L. rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Stormy
Stormy added it
May 15, 2014
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014