Start by marking “The Angel with One Hundred Wings: A Tale from the Arabian Nights” as Want to Read:
The Angel with One Hundred Wings: A Tale from the Arabian Nights

The Angel with One Hundred Wings: A Tale from the Arabian Nights

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The story opens in the City of Peace, as Baghdad was once called. It is a fabulously wealthy city, receiving tribute from an empire that stretches from modern day Afghanistan to Spain. Abulhassan Ibn Thaher is an old pharmacist and alchemist who is an intimate friend of the Sultan. When the young prince of Persia falls in love with Schemselnihar, the Sultan's beloved mistr ...more
Published January 2nd 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Angel with One Hundred Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angel with One Hundred Wings

Holly
Abulhassan, an elderly pharmacist and favorite of the sultan, assists the Prince of Persia and the sultan's favorite mistress Shemselnehar to escape to Spain.

Set in 800 AD in the City of Peace (today's Baghdad!) in the reign of sultan Harun, known for his appreciation and patronage for architecture, art, textiles, science and literature, this novel is rich in imagery. The bazaars, streets and palaces of Baghdad, then one of the largest cities, are exotic and mesmerizing and finely drawn. Horch h
Renee
This book is what happens when I wander into a bookstore with eleven dollars in my pocket and this strange desire to buy something.

It is the story of an aging pharmacist in an arabic country, set in the distant past, and how he fell back in love with the concept of love while double-crossing an old friend to help to lovers elope. Convoluted? A little. It's also a bit slow at times. But it's an elegant little story with a bit to say on love in the later stages of life/marriage.
Karen
This gorgeous tapestry of a story, set in the fabled and magical City of Peace of a 9th century that never was, is about love, and alchemy, and death, and faith. The atmospheric detail is rich and striking, from the wonders of the sultan's palace gardens to the incense and rosewater with which the men perfume their beards. Abulhassan the pharmacist, in many ways a secondary character to his own story, is wonderfully sympathetic and real. His inner struggle between the loyalty he owes to his olde ...more
Briynne
I thought of this book out of nowhere today at work, and embarked on a massive Google search to find the title. I read it a few years ago, and apparently promptly forgot about it (hence the three stars instead of four I remember it deserving). Anyway, it was a really cool book, set in ancient Baghdad. It's mysterious and full of lovely, exotic imagery. It's about an upright, loyal man who is friends with the sultan, but is asked to help the sultan's favorite mistress run away with the man she lo ...more
Kelayt
Much enjoyed...
Laura (booksnob)
Mar 09, 2008 Laura (booksnob) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens and adults who love a good story
I read this book aloud to my 9th grade class. It was a good book and we had great discussions surrounding the different culture and time period. It was a multi-layered story which made reading it aloud difficult at times but it had many interesting tales that the students found fascinating. I think this book is a good introduction to the 1001 Arabian Nights for teens and adults alike.
Karen Okamoto
This is a tale of the forbidden love between Abulhassan, prince of Persia, and the Caliph's favorite concubine, Schemselnihar. The narrator, a pharmacist, alchemist, and friend of the Caliph, agrees to abet their elopement and fears for his execution. I really enjoyed the story. It went skipping lightly and quickly along, and was a fast read.
matteo
The setting is fascinating: Baghdad during the time of the "Arabian Nights," in ninth-century Persia. The story, though, is fine. Not gripping, although mostly interesting. An easy read, but not one that I ever felt particularly invested in, and I'll probably forget the specifics of the plot and characters pretty quickly.
Holly
Loved this book. It's a story in old Baghdad about power, love and betrayal. It's in the first person of the main character, a "pharmacist" and his life of relationships. Fantastic book! It's a touching book and yes, I even cried while reading this book.
Heather
great story, this was an interpretation of one of the Arabian Nights stories. I really enjoyed the description of the city and scenery, it made me think about modern day Bagdad differently.
Dalia Mahdy
I enjoyed the fascinating descriptions of the city, the atmosphere and scenery.
The characters were really interesting and I loved the wise sayings of the main character "Abul Hassan ".
Ann Zweber
A fun little adventure that takes you through 8th century Baghdad. Palaces and neighborhoods, customs and traditions, sultans and servants, princes and pharmacists, love and honor.
Megan
Jun 06, 2008 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lorien
I really liked this book, it showed me a world that I was totally unfamiliar with, but am now intrigued with. I love the imagery in this novel... excellent writer!
Allison
An interesting look at Arabian culture. I enjoyed the book but it does have quite a few discourses on religion and society.
Keri
I really like T.Davis Bunn,I picked up one of his books just off the shelf in the library and have been impressed.
Jayeeta
May 27, 2007 Jayeeta rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who liked Arabian Nights
Really good book by a new author. Very Arabian Nights. Great imagery. Very fast read. Like reading a fairy tale again.
Jenn Dunn
It's a story of a family in early Baghdad, Iraq. A very well written, insightful read!
Nina
I went to high school with Daniel. He always did better in English than I did.
Shawna
quite an engrossing little book set in ancient baghdad. beautifully written.
Catherine Lera
A very nice read - a very sweet story
Marz
Really great book
Zyngyr
Zyngyr marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
D Lynn
D Lynn marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Ahlam
Ahlam marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015