Start by marking “Forgotten Among the Lilies: Learning to Love Beyond Our Fears” as Want to Read:
Forgotten Among the Lilies: Learning to Love Beyond Our Fears

Forgotten Among the Lilies: Learning to Love Beyond Our Fears

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The author of The Holy Longing explores the debilitating obsessions that often dominate our lives and offers down-to-earth guidance for learning to leave our fears, anxieties, and guilt “forgotten among the lilies.”“Rarely do we taste the food we eat or the coffee we drink. Instead we go through our days too preoccupied, too compulsive, and too dissatisfied to really be ab ...more
Published February 20th 2007 by Image (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Forgotten Among the Lilies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgotten Among the Lilies

Alison
This was a gift to me from Brother Martin; an 82 year old Hispanic monk and WWII veteran whom I developed a crush on while on retreat at the Trappist Abbey of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Thomas Merton was a Trappist monk). At the beginning of my three days at the Abbey, Brother Martin loaned me a book and a tape; "The Spirituality of Imperfection", and "Br. Martin, Memories of the War in the Pacific". I lent him "War and the Soul". At the end of the three days, we met and traded back, and he gave me ...more
Katie
I finished this book a while ago but somehow forgot to note it here. I love this book so much. I wrote several long journal entries about all the things it made me ponder and consider and re-evaluate. Rolheiser is a much-needed quiet, contemplative voice in a hurried, brash world. And not contemplative in that kind of staged, yoga pants and mat sort of way, either. He isn't afraid to approach controversy and frightening questions. He makes you look at yourself and your flaws unflinchingly, and r ...more
Quilltips
This was, beyond a doubt, one of the most beautiful and healing books I have read in a very long time. I took my time with this book, reading it a few sections at a time and thinking about them, and I think the slow pace helped me to absorb more of what it said.

Perhaps the most thought-provoking section, in my opinion, is his series of essays on whole sexuality and its place in human life and interaction. He gives a beautiful defense of priestly celibacy -- from the perspective of someone who ha
Jeff
WOW. This book was amazing, and I definitely recommend it. It had long chapters, broken into small subchapters which made you think over the chapters quite a bit in different ways. The subtitle is, "learning to love beyond our fears," but in reality it's about receiving the love of God despite our fears, and in receiving that love, the unconditional love of God, and the radically gracious and merciful love of God, how that empowers us to live life free and enables us to give our lives more freel ...more
Charlotte Jones
This is a fantastic book filled with practical and necessary truths. It is a collection of smaller essays and is easily read in a short span of time. There were a few sections I read 4 times because they were just so great.
Laurie
Kelsey
Amazing, wonderful book! It felt like some passages were speaking straight to my soul, giving words to thoughts that I'd never been able to put into words before. LOVED, LOVED it.
John Osman
We used this book for a book club and it was a source of much discussion. A few of Rolheiser's reflections were extremely powerful and the source of transformation.

The book is a collection of essays from Rolheiser's column published in numerous Catholic periodicals and/or publications. They are just the right size for reflection - two or three pages. As a matter of fact, they are just the right size as a source for the different media form of the web. One could take the text and add images or au
Phil
This is a set of short pieces on various topics dealing with prayer and being a Christian (specifically, a Catholic) in the real world. Those familiar with Rohlheiser's other books will notice familiar themes present in a rather freer style. Rohlheiser has a tendency to default to grace which makes him a gentle read. His insights are generally good, although any collection will have elements which are not necessarily the strongest. On the whole, a good collection and worth reading.

Theresa Noble
I really enjoy Rolheiser's books, they are very insightful. However, I found this book a bit disjointed and hard to get through. I felt like some of the chapters were homilies he had given at funerals thrown in as chapters and that was a bit disappointing to me. The book did not seem unified.
Darren
Never have I heard the erotic nature of man understood as a force that aids the spiritual life, but Rolheiser makes this lesson clear throughout.

"Christianity will have power when we have vital communities which can, concretely, offer an alternative to the second-best compensations that our world offers.

When the touch of human warmth, genuine community, is withheld, we will always have a lot of unbelievers and a lot of struggling believers."
Erica
Oct 03, 2012 Erica added it
This was a wonderfully insightful book. I really enjoyed how many topics were explored in regards to love. I feel it is a book I could read over and over again and truly gain new insights each time. It is something that you could choose a specific topic to look at and use as a meditation or part of prayer.
Sarahmarie
A wonderful read about connecting to faith and Christ and being able to let go of our fears to live life more fully. One to savor and read slowly. I didn't relate fully to all of the Roman Catholic thinking, but I appreciated the universal Christian truths and reminders of love and grace.
Bernice
This book is written topically, so you can just flip to certain writings and receive his insights. I liked some of his writings and I didn't like others. Sorry I can't be more specific. But, I read a chapter of this book during breakfast for months, so I can't remember a lot of it.
Michael Hsu
An amazing book!
Albert Hong
I love this guy. I find such resonance with how he sees God, the world, and what the good life really is. Nice, short pithy reflections that get straight to the point.
Patti Clement
Love anything written by this author!
Sister Mary Lou Schmersal
Sister Mary Lou Schmersal is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2015
Marie Pickard
Marie Pickard marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Sarah Rolewicz
Sarah Rolewicz marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Kelli
Kelli added it
Jun 09, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
❄Elsa Frost❄
❄Elsa Frost❄ marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
CatholicVolNet
CatholicVolNet marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Dennis-Lisa Rogers
Dennis-Lisa Rogers marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Praying Our Goodbyes
  • Spiritual Classics: Selected Readings on the Twelve Spiritual Disciplines
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
  • Stand Against the Wind: Fuel for the Revolution of Your Soul
  • Called To Question:  A Spiritual Memoir
  • The Church of Mercy
  • The Human Condition: Contemplation and Transformation (Wit Lectures)
  • Finding God in Unexpected Places
  • The Bad Catholic's Guide to Good Living: A Loving Look at the Lighter Side of Catholic Faith, with Recipes for Feast and Fun
  • Can You Drink the Cup?
  • Armchair Mystic: Easing Into Contemplative Prayer
  • The Cloud of Unknowing: and The Book of Privy Counseling
  • Flannery O'Connor: Spiritual Writings
  • Catherine of Siena
  • The Shadow of His Wings
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • The End and the Beginning: Pope John Paul II -- The Victory of Freedom, the Last Years, the Legacy
The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality The Shattered Lantern: Rediscovering a Felt Presence of God The Restless Heart: Finding Our Spiritual Home in Times of Loneliness Sacred Fire: A Vision for a Deeper Human and Christian Maturity Our One Great Act of Fidelity: Waiting for Christ in the Eucharist