Start by marking “The Ivory and the Horn: A Newford Collection (Newford Book 6) ” as Want to Read:
The Ivory and the Horn: A Newford Collection (Newford Book 6)

The Ivory and the Horn: A Newford Collection (Newford Book 6) (Newford #6)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  2,152 ratings  ·  48 reviews
In the city of Newford, when the stars and the vibes are right, you can touch magic. Mermaids sing in the murky harbor, desert spirits crowd the night, and dreams are more real than waking.Charles de Lint began his chronicles of the extraordinary city of Newford in Memory amp; Dream and the short-story collection Dreams Underfoot. In The Ivory and the Horn, this uncommonly ...more
Published April 1st 1995 by Tor Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Ivory and the Horn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ivory and the Horn

Mikela
I was first introduced to deLint's world of urban fantasy with his book, Dingo, and it was love at first word. He has the ability to look beyond the day to day struggles and show the magic of the world around us, a dream world where all is possible and the inhabitants take on a life of their own, blending mythology, the spirit world, fantasy and reality together and inviting his readers to join him.

I must confess though that I truly lack an appreciation of short stories. I've always preferred a
Rachel
Another collection of Newford short stories, and they are as powerful as ever. More of the backstory on some characters we know and like, and the introduction of all sorts of characters we haven't met before, and may never again. De Lint recently announced that he's done with Newford -- I can only hope he changes his mind! These are wonderful stories, and very inspiring.
Erin
Charles de Lint is one of my guilty pleasures - he can be pretty cliched in his descriptions and his characters can get a little preachy. I generally don't mind the preachy tendencies because I tend to agree and there are usually other qualities in his writing that make up for it.

I read this story collection over a number of months when I just needed something quick and different for my nightly reading. By the end of it I was wondering why I read de Lint in the first place. This is a very weak b
Isabel
I was quickly drawn into this book when I found that the first two stories followed on from stories in "Dreams Underfoot", which I read a while ago. There's always something magical just around the corner in Newford, and characters you've met before keep reappearing. I think that if you read too many of Charles de Lint's stories too close together you could find them slightly cloying, and the amount of repetition can be a little annoying, but if you spread them out they are wonderful reads for a ...more
Janet
The title and the cover art of The Ivory and the Horn implied high fantasy to me, but instead this is a pioneering set of urban fantasy short stories from back before UF was a common genre category. In the mid-90s (at least to the best of my memory), fantasy rarely involved characters with any 'modern' problems. Stories set in 20th century or futuristic cities had grit and smoke, but also usually shined with a noir gloss. Charles de Lint's Newford residents are the fantasy contempories of charac ...more
Michelle M
de Lint is always a reliable good read. This novel takes place in his urban fantasy setting of Newford, a huge city where the edges shimmer and the touch of the fae is always in the air. The second of the Newford books, this is a set of short stories that cycles around a handful of characters that pop in and out of each other's tales. It reminded me a lot of the Bordertown novels, though that is a shared universe and Newford is de Lint's alone (so far!). I shall definitely read more.
Cupcakencorset
This fine collection of short stories is part of de Lint's Newford series. The characters are a mix of familiar and new, with explorations of the mythos of this world. The stories vary widely in length and give the reader glimpses of Newford that will, I hope, be explored in depth in later books in the series.
Todd Reiser
Ivory and the Horn continues DeLint's Newford chronicles.
Short stories filled with mythic characters and cityscapes that are at once modern but remind us of the ancient forgotten wonder of the inner landscape
June
Nov 15, 2010 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Literary Fantasy readers
Recommended to June by: Erin
A collection of short stories where the characters are more concerned with people than money, and can see the magic in the world, how people overcome evil and problems. More literary fantasy.
Aurora Deshauteurs
The Newford collections seem to have different themes, #6 is a bit heavy on the tragedy but it combines the faerie and urban reality very well. The stories feel very individual and fresh.
Wendy Darling
My mom picked this up for me at a library sale based solely on the fact the cover looked like the covers of the Wraeththu books -- which is true. And I have heard good things about Charles de Lint, so what the hey. Of course, I hadn't been too fond of that one book of his I had read. Can't even remember the name now. However, it turns out this book of stories gave the same feeling as that book, which was also slipstream urban fantasy. The stories are in different styles, some a single point of v ...more
Althea Ann
A collection of short stories, all set in DeLint's imaginary city of Newford. DeLint is a good writer. I can't deny that a couple of these stories even made me cry. But, overall, their quality is really diminished by being too social-agenda-oriented. Too many of them seem to be written For Disadvantaged Youth; To Have a Positive Influence. It's been a recurring criticism I've had of DeLint's writing - he's good enough to just let his characters Be People, rather than Girl-With-An-Eating-Disorder ...more
Jen3n
Another collection of short stories from Charles de Lint set in the fictional Candian city if Newford, where aboriginal spirits mingle with fairies and street musicians in a lovely urban-fantasy soup.

While I prefer the Newford books that feature Tamsin House to some of the more random collections, this book is reall not bad at all. Mostly, I think, it's from being one of the first ones before de Lint became obviously obsessed with one of the biggest MarySues in the history of modern fiction: Jil
Patty
I am so glad that I picked up one of de Lint's books this week. I felt like I had been reading by rote. Much of what I had been reading did not hold my interest. I was glad I read the books I had picked up in the last two weeks, but none of them seemed out of the ordinary to me. Here I am with more reading time and the books I was reading didn't seem worthy of the time I had.

However, all I had to do was read the first story, Waifs and Strays, in this collection and I was reminded why I read. I w
Anna Blanchard
This is defintely a book one should not judge by the cover. The artwork on cover may allude the potential reader to think that this book is a teen science fiction book. Instead this is another wonderful collection of short stories about the lives of residents in Newford. Great character development, great ordering and placement of stories.
Parthena
I think Charles De Lint has a great imagination and has written some inspiring, innovative tales before, but for some reason this novel fell a little flat for me. There were definitely stories in here that I enjoyed, and even one or two that moved me, but a lot of the tales just weren't as intriguing to me as some of his other short stories.

I've noticed De Lint tends to reuse a lot of the same themes throughout his books...the homeless, "street life," runaways, etc...and while he often delves in
Tommy /|\
The Ivory and the Horn is a set of short stories set in de Lint's Newford environment. Perhaps, the most compelling thing about de Lint's stories is that he writes characters in a manner that makes me want to actually met them. He writes stories in a way that makes me want to step into them and become another one of the characters. For me, this is the magick of his writing - and the thread that I keep pulling at whenever I pick up one of his novels. Characters that I can relate to, characters th ...more
Patrick Mcgee
Charles de Lint is a master. That's the best way I can summarize the work I have read of his to this point. This is the second collection of inter-connected shorts I have read and they are some of the best out there both from a collection and urban fantasy perspective. I can't get enough and can't believe it took me this long to discover this groundbreaking urban fantasy author. Check him out if you are interested in seeing where urban fantasy got its roots. I think some of the current urban fan ...more
Harmony Rose
This has been my favorite book for a very long time, and it was my introduction to my favorite author to date. This is a collection of short stories centered around a fictitious city named Newford. In it people living modern ordinary lives are creatively touched by something magical.
JM
By the time I got to this one, Geordie, Christy, Jilly, Sophie and the rest had become as familiar to me as any fictional carácter I'd spent time with. I guess my personality, history and age were such that I identified with them a lot and, thus, the books spoke to me plenty.
Glendalee
This book was just like Dreams underfoot, short stories about your favorite Newford characters, ive been reading quite a lot of De Lint lately and i have not gotten tired of the dream world he creates in his story.
Barbara
Very interesting set of short stories, some which the characters intersect, others where they do not. I enjoyed the blend of the hard realities faced by the characters and their ability to temporarily suspend disbelief.
Valissa
"You and me, everybody, we're a set of stories, and what those stories are is what makes us what we are. It's all these stories and how they braid together that tells us who and what and where we are."
Mark Schebel
These stories are kind of hit-or-miss, presumably because they are some of his earlier ones. But, like it's predecessor "Dreams Underfoot", it's a great introduction to his Newford characters and environs.
Leslie
This collection of short stories came together to mean more to me than the individual stories did, adding to my picture of Newford. I was pleased to greet some old friends, Jilly in particular.
Lindsay
Aug 13, 2008 Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lindsay by: Mark
Shelves: fiction
I really like this author's stories. I want the world he creates to be real. I'm still kind of a kid, I guess. But, sometimes, his tone does seem a tiny bit judgmental.
Amanda
The stories in "Dreams Underfoot" had a bit more magic in them as a whole, but there were a couple of stories that I just adored in this volume.
Julianna Wilson
Dearest, Charles de Lint,

I'm going to be so bummed when I finally finish the Newford collection. Keep up the inspired writing!

An Admirer.
Jill
Charles DeLint is another author I discovered from short stories. This is my favorites of his work. His world is so magical, yet so normal.
  • Bordertown (Borderland, #2)
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #1)
  • Finder (Borderlands)
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Giant Bones
  • To Charles Fort, With Love
  • A Red Heart of Memories (Red Heart of Memories, #1)
Charles de Lint is a Canadian writer of Dutch origins. He emigrated to Canada with his parents when he was four months old. He is married and lives in Ottawa.
More about Charles de Lint...

Newford (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1)
  • The Dreaming Place (Newford, #2)
  • From a Whisper to a Scream (Newford, #3)
  • I'll Be Watching You (Newford, #4)
  • Memory and Dream (Newford, #5)
  • Trader (Newford, #7)
  • Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8)
  • Moonlight and Vines (Newford, #9)
  • Forests of the Heart (Newford, #10)
  • The Onion Girl (Newford, #11)
The Blue Girl (Newford, #15) Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1) The Onion Girl (Newford, #11) Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8) Moonheart