Start by marking “Holy Bible (TNIV)” as Want to Read:
Holy Bible (TNIV)

Holy Bible (TNIV)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Endorsed by scholars and pastors across the country, the TNIV is the new translation for today's generation. It combines uncompromising reliability, the clarity of today's language, and the heritage of the most trusted translation, the NIV.
Published September 9th 2008 by Zondervan (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Mark Ward
I'm putting this among my favorites not for the translation (the TNIV isn't my preferred version mainly because it stands outside the KJV tradition which made it into my heart and mind first) but for the typography.

The editors of this setting of the Scriptures did boldly what I honestly believe all Bible publishers should do except for study editions: they took out all verse and chapter numbers and left the Bible in a single-column, paragraphed format.

I have one serious quibble, if there is such
Natalia
It was like watching a charlton heston movie (as far as the descriptions and 'feel' of it)! Lots of gore, violence, sex, fear and loathing... and uplifting notes to cope with it all! Great history book or moreso, book of 'memoirs'. As THE most talked about book going - I thought it should be read cover to cover. It did change my perspective on many 'religious' issues (as far as understanding what parts of particular religions come from the Bible and how they must have interpreted it) but, it did ...more
Chris
Always have to give the Bible five stars--it really is an amazing book. As for this translation, I really enjoyed it. The TNIV has the feel and readability of the NIV, although the wordings more frequently diverge from traditional phrasing to fresh renditions. One of the most notable changes is the use of gender-inclusive language where appropriate. My impression is that the TNIV is more judicious in making these changes than the NRSV, which seems to change almost everything, even when it seems ...more
Merilee
Apr 01, 2012 Merilee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to read the Bible through
Recommended to Merilee by: TJ Southerland
This is an amazing presentation of the Bible. It is easy to read because verse and chapter markers have been eliminated. Also, the text is not in columns, like most Bibles - rather, it reads all the way across the page in normal paragraph form (except for songs/poetry, which are centered in the middle and look like lyrics should.)

Besides all that, the books are arranged in a sensible order (chronologically in the order that they were written, for the most part) and the introductions to each book
Lavonne
Yes, I read the Bible cover to cover from January to March. And since I'm completely unqualified to rate or review the Bible, I'll leave it at that. But I would recommend reading the Bible to anyone.
Ashley Rose
This is my favorite Bible in print. It is thought provoking and inspiring. In my humble opinion, it's a must read for any Christian woman.
My church is using this guide to read the entire Bible in one year. I love the thought of this, of doing it together as a congregation, but in practice I haven't kept with it. I know I could jump back in, so I've left this book on my Currently Reading shelf, but I don't think it is going to happen right now, and I've finally told myself that this is ok. This doesn't mean that I've given up on reading the Bible! It just means that I'm not actively working to read the entire book (books, really) b ...more
Tripleguess
I love this little Bible. My sister gave it to me so I could have one in my purse to take to church and everywhere with me. It's the perfect size and the magnet leather latch helps keep it closed so it doesn't get beat up from lying open in my purse. I put it in an inside pocket that happens to be the perfect size, and I learned to put it there with the unbound side away from the "mangler zone" in the middle of the purse so the page corners don't get beat up. So far it is holding up well.

Now I c
Mike
I like the note taking space, accordion pockets, and the size (not huge, but small enough to fit in a small pack). I have only seen this type of bible in tniv and rarely niv. I am not attached to any particular version but I will defend the tniv from all the crap it is getting.

Sometimes when I preach I use the tniv because the way it is translated is easier to communicate the point of the verse to the largest audience possible (most often in regards to differences in gender).

If I don't have th
Raymond
Set of CDs with one DVD, I must admit I haven't got past the first discs in the Old, and New, Testaments. This needs high quality playback equipment. My computer didn't do it justice.
Chris
I've never read through the Bible so quickly. The language in this flows so well and has been adapted to today's dialect so well that I simple burned through the pages, reading chapter after chapter in a short span of time.

While I used to think the KJV and NKJV are the ONLY versions to read, this helped me see the greivous error of my way. Not only is it nice to have the current language, but it is good to read the different interpretations of the original text. In translations, nuances are alwa
Phileo Truth
The gender-sensitive rendering of the language merely demonstrates how far the church will go to accommodate a world that rejects it. It is unfortunate that such contemporary sensitivities have convinced a publisher to modify the language. Having to carve out a reference to the female gender wherever the masculine word (such as "mankind" or "brethren") was understood in generations past to include the female gender among the collective, is just plain touchy. Trying to equalize the culture's sens ...more
Dana
If you want to power through and "read" the entire Bible, this is a great option. I really liked the theatrics and the "experience" of the Bible with the background noises and music. However I will say that sometimes it got in the way of being able to focus on the message. For example, with all the sacrifices and wars that occurred in the Old Testament, the background noises of slaughter were sometimes difficult to handle early in the morning on the drive into work. But it at least broke up the ...more
Bria
Jun 29, 2013 Bria is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, favorites
I love to use this rendition of the Bible for my daily reading time. It flows like a real book should, and makes reading the Bible enjoyable rather than a chore that some church official told me I had to do to be a good Christian eons ago. Anytime anyone mentions daily Bible reading, I always recommend this version. Love it so much, I just purchased the Kindle version too. Now, if only the publisher would hurry up with the Spanish translation of the entire Bible and put it on Kindle, I'd be a ha ...more
Ryan Adair
Don't get me wrong, I love the Bible. I chose to read through this translation over the past six months since my parents bought it for me on Christmas 2005. The text is highly readable and flows well, but I don't like some of the gender neutrality where it actually matters (and I'm not talking about the dear brothers and sisters passages). Other than that, I prefer a more word for word translation like the ESV. But overall, I liked this and it was very beneficial to read.
Kara
This is the second Bible I read through....I actually have the TNIV version of this (which, despite some of the liberties TNIV takes, I thought it was easier to read than NIV)...and I absolutely LOVE the sidebars and such in it...mine is a really pretty tru-tone duo-tone pink with a metal faceplate in the bottom corner and has held up WELL to use...lots of room for note taking and was one of my favorite "carry to church" Bibles early on...gorgeous!
Clare Cannon
This is the BEST audio version of the New Testament I have heard. The voices are simply amazing, especially the rather important voice of JC himself (you feel like he is there, speaking to you). The music behind the words is perfect, though I sometimes skip the halleluia songs which pop up occasionally (they are always separate tracks so they are easy to skip.) I have listened to a part of it every day for the last 5 years; it still makes me cry.
Tina
I've read through the Bible several times, but never in one year. I used the Book-at-a-Time Bible Reading Plan from Discipleship Journal (www.discipleshipjournal.com). The plan had me daily read about 3 chapters from one book in the Bible and then a chapter of a Psalm or Proverb. It allowed one day for reflection which was nice to take a break or get caught up. I found the pace easy to keep up with and was glad I did it.
Dominique
There is so much to say about this book, that it's amazing. This is the only book that I have ever highlighted in. I love to read parts of it over and over again, not caring if it's repetitive. This is the book I turn to if I have questions, or if I'm just bored and want something to do. I'm more likely to read this book than any other
Corrie
What more can be said?

If you don't have a TNIV yet, I'd recommend going out and buying one right away. The TNIV gets closer to the original meaning of the text while remaining readable to modern English-speakers. I love this particular edition because it comes in pretty colors (mine is sky-blue, cream, and camel).
JM
This was the absolute best audio Bible that I have ever listened to. The production was first rate and it was very inspiring to listen to celebrites act out Biblical characters. I was very blessed during the 180 days in which I read/listened to this book. I highly recommend it!
Andrew
Ok... well I was brought up in a religious sect, but I would recommend you to read it, but not interpret it like other idiots try, or start a war in the name of God.

PS. It amuses me that it's authored "anomymous."
Kimberly King
Mar 16, 2009 Kimberly King rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!
I learn more and more each day. Right now I'm reading Matthew for the 40 day challenge at church, but also reading the Old Testament and learning about the creation of Adam and Eve.
Dave Wagoner
Bible, verse-and-chapter removed for readability. Never take a verse out of context again. Never use a contextless verse as a misguided, self-serving weapon again. Etc etc.
Sue
Jan 26, 2008 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Every year I read a different version of The Bible. This year (2007) it just happens to be Today's New Intermational Version. I'm reading it chronologically.
Katrina (Kindred Dreamheart)
I loved it! I have the old & new testament. It was expensive at the time, and I was a starving college student. But it was worth every penny.
Brian Cox
The Bible is always a good, honest gut (& soul) check to read through. It is the guide to eternity and how to lead your life on this Earth.
Christopher
Mar 29, 2009 Christopher is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I'm doing a "40 day challenge" through Kensington Community Church ... Matthew, Mark, Luke & John. It's going great so far!
Thomas
A great way to get some "bible reading" in during my commute. Very well produced.
Jeremy
Actually only bought Luke so far. It's good but maybe a little too over produced.
  • How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour
  • The Kingdom New Testament: A Contemporary Translation
  • The Coffeehouse Gospel: Sharing Your Faith Through Everday Conversation
  • Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • The Portable Seminary: A Master's Level Overview in One Volume
  • Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs
  • The Oxford Companion to the Bible
  • Battlefield of the Mind for Kids
  • The Message of Acts: The Spirit, the Church, and the World (Bible Speaks Today NT)
  • The Book of the Acts, Revised
  • The Message New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • Complete Jewish Bible : An English Version of the Tanakh (Old Testament) and B'Rit Hadashah (New Testament)
  • The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard
  • Christian Theology: An Introduction
  • The Language of Love & Respect: Cracking the Communication Code with Your Mate
  • Chazown: khaw-ZONE - A Different Way to See Your Life
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Quran