Start by marking “To a Young Jazz Musician: Letters from the Road” as Want to Read:
To a Young Jazz Musician: Letters from the Road

To a Young Jazz Musician: Letters from the Road

In To a Young Jazz Musician, the renowned jazz musician and Pulitzer Prize—winning composer Wynton Marsalis gives us an invaluable guide to making good music–and to leading a good life.
Writing from the road “between the bus ride, the sound check, and the gig,”

Marsalis passes on wisdom gained from experience, addressed to a young musician coming up–and to any of us at any
Published March 12th 2009 by Random House (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about To a Young Jazz Musician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To a Young Jazz Musician

Mitch Albom
Nov 30, 2015 Mitch Albom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In preparing my latest novel, which is set in the world of music, I read dozens of music-related books. I found Marsalis’s take on the life of a musician out on the road to be a master class of what it really means to be an artist. You needn’t play a note to appreciate it. That may be the most artistic part of it.
Juli
Apr 12, 2009 Juli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A 5-star little treasure. Marsalis writes from the road to a young musician he is mentoring. His style is engaging, candid, and has deep truth and insight. He starts with a thought that can sum up what he addresses in the rest of the book - "See, that's the main thing younger people want to know - is it okay to be themselves, as musicians, as human beings?" I think we are all asking that question - Is it ok to be me? Marsalis is a great companion for the journey for any musician, artist, or deep ...more
Lynn Wilson
Apr 28, 2008 Lynn Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Letters written by Marsalis to a young man he is mentoring, this book is full of wisdom about life beyond music. Full of advice about staying true to one's authentic self while contributing to the culture. I would recommend this book to everyone who is venturing out into the world, and to those who have questions once out there. Well-written, heartfelt, a keeper.
Jeff
Dec 07, 2016 Jeff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
wynton marsalis is NOT cool
Austen
Feb 04, 2009 Austen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
This book consists of Wynton's half of an epistolary exchange (that takes place while Wynton is on a tour in 2003) with a young jazz musician who had recently moved from Oklahoma to New York. The young man's questions send Wynton off onto thorough articulations of the philosophy of being a (jazz) musician.
He touches on the need for humility and integrity, commitment and persistence. Wynton mentions his belief that the quest to become a better musician is the same as the quest to know ones' self
Sonja
Jun 15, 2014 Sonja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love jazz so I thought this book would be interesting. I read about 2/3s of it and then went on to other books for a year or so. Recently, I picked it up again and finished it. He did have a lot of good things to say about life that would apply to anyone, musical or not. I liked the last chapter the best. Maybe because it was more about his life.
Andreas Steffen
Mar 08, 2009 Andreas Steffen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no short-cut to jazz improvisation. Marsalis preaches that it's all about hard-work, constant reflection and finding the right way of practising. I enjoyed the intimate form of a letter exchange!
Chuck Jackson
Oct 05, 2010 Chuck Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the opening contains language that younger teens may be surprised at, the letters address real topics in a real way. He is supposedly writing to a 19 year old who moved to NYC to play music so some of the specifics may not relate to kids I know but it is nonetheless worthwhile.
Josh  Giunta
Dec 26, 2014 Josh Giunta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A beautiful book. Wynton possesses and shares the dignity that all musicians & artists should aspire to carry. A great read for any creative person in any field, and those interested in American ideals and culture.
Babi Mendes
Jan 02, 2014 Babi Mendes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book for jazz musicians and enthusiasts.
Nicole
Feb 17, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone that considers themselves a musician of any genre whould READ THIS BOOK. It causes you to question your motives, actions and your charater.
Jess
Aug 16, 2010 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic.

Review to follow.

"And that's the soulful thing about playing: you offer something to somebody. You don't know if they'll like it, but you offer it. " P 110
Devin Porter
May 09, 2011 Devin Porter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm certainly not young, but I found it inspiring nonetheless
Trey
Nov 30, 2008 Trey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, Music Lovers
Shelves: own
One of my favorite books! A truly inspirational book that focuses on the inner journey of becoming a true musician.
Hector Gallegos
Mar 13, 2013 Hector Gallegos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-growth
It's like being inside Wynton's head. Highly recommend! You no longer wonder what it would be like to have a conversation with Wynton. You can very well imagine these letters being addressed to you.
Warren Benton
This was a pretty neat book. Marsalis now as the old dog is writing to a young musician like he once was, He talks of things you need to really learn to be a great musician.
Michele
May 05, 2009 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of thoughts on life and jazz. I picked this up at the same time I started the Ken Burns "Jazz" series and hadn't realized Marsalis was interviewed for the series too.
Ruby Thomas
Ruby Thomas rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Au Privave
Au Privave rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2014
Kevin Aldrich
Kevin Aldrich rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Jeffrey C. Ingalls
Jeffrey C. Ingalls rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2014
Joe Campe
Joe Campe rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2010
Shannon Ramos
Shannon Ramos rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2012
daryll judson
daryll judson rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Dre
Dre rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2011
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Deena Baty Family
Deena Baty Family rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2017
Spencer Strand
Spencer Strand rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Rokas Kucinskas
Rokas Kucinskas rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Wars of Reconstruction: The Brief, Violent History of America's Most Progressive Era
  • Voltaire in Love
  • Imperial
  • Half-Earth: Our Planet's Fight for Life
  • The Ritalin Orgy
  • Django
  • Piano Starts Here: The Young Art Tatum
  • Homo Necans: The Anthropology of Ancient Greek Sacrificial Ritual and Myth
  • Jazz On A Saturday Night (Coretta Scott King Honor Book)
  • Crescent and Star: Turkey Between Two Worlds
  • Juventud
  • Rainer Maria Rilke and Lou Andreas-Salomé: The Correspondence
  • So What: The Life of Miles Davis
  • Our World
  • Mirages: The Unexpurgated Diary of Anais Nin (1939-1947)
  • Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares: How to Avoid Unplanned and Unwanted Grammar Errors
  • The Atheist's Prayer
  • Woman with a Blue Pencil
Wynton Marsalis has been described as the most outstanding jazz artist and composer of his generation. He has helped propel jazz to the forefront of American culture through his brilliant performances, recordings, broadcasts, and compositions as well as through his leadership as the artistic director of Jazz at Lincoln Center (JALC). Wynton Marsalis is the music director of the world-renowned Linc ...more
More about Wynton Marsalis...

“And that's the soulful thing about playing: you offer something to somebody. You don't know if they'll like it, but you offer it.” 15 likes
“And the thing about jazz, through all the business involved in practicing and improvement, it's always sweet: the improvement that you notice in the ability to express yourself, the feeling of playing, pushing yourself out into an open space through a sound, man. That's an unbelievable feeling, an uplifting feeling of joy to be able to express the range of what you feel and see, have felt and have seen. A lot of this has nothing to do with you. It comes from another time, another space. To be able to channel those things and then project them though an instrument, that's something that brings unbelievable joy.” 5 likes