Start by marking “The Bloody Sun (Darkover #17.2)” as Want to Read:
The Bloody Sun (Darkover #17.2)

The Bloody Sun (Darkover - Chronological Order #17.2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,200 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
This is the re-written version of the original story.

To Terran Jeff Kerwin the distant planet he remembered only as a childhood dream was home. But when years of planning finally brought him back to Darkover, ha found that there was no peace for him there--not for someone with both the red hair of a Com'yn lord and the bastard strains of Terrani in his blood; not for someo
Published by Ace (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Bloody Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bloody Sun

The Last Hour of Gann by R. Lee SmithGrimspace by Ann AguirreStarshine by G.S. JennsenFortune's Pawn by Rachel BachFinders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair
Best Adult Sci Fi Romance & Sci fi with Romance
301st out of 485 books — 678 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Books on My Shelf
64th out of 151 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike Smith
Jul 29, 2011 Mike Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the 3rd novel written in the science fictional Darkover series, first published in 1964. The only version now available (and the one I'm reviewing) was updated in 1979 and incorporated some material that was cut from the first edition for length reasons and some new material that took into account later Darkover books written in the 60s and 70s.

This edition is much more polished than the first two books, The Planet Savers and The Sword of Aldones. I don't know how much of that is the ori
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley, but my affection for her rests not on the Avalon books, which I didn't care for, but her Darkover series. Darkover is a "lost colony" of Earth that falls into a medieval society. Ruled by a psychic aristocracy, it is later rediscovered by a star-spanning high-tech human federation after centuries, giving the series a feel of both science fiction and fantasy. Most books in the series examine this culture clash and this book is no exception as it focuses on a Te ...more
Sho
Just to get this bit over with. I was appalled and horrified to find out about MZB and her husband and the abuse. (if you don't know about it, sorry for possibly spoiling one of your favourite authors - for details google)

I haven't read one of her books for ages because of this, but i needed brain candy and I really do enjoy the Darkover novels because they cover a lot of the bases for me: sci-fi, sci-fantasy, telepaths, complicated relationships, huge time-span). I was unsure if I'd be able to
Beatriz
Sep 07, 2015 Beatriz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Antes que todo debe reconocer que me encanta el estilo de esta autora. La forma en que traspasa las emociones y los conflictos de los personajes es muy profunda y no por eso pierde el hilo de su narración. En particular, El sol sangriento -el primer libro que leo de la saga Darkover- es una novela íntegra, no solo porque se puede leer en forma independiente de cualquiera de los demás libro de la serie, sino porque además cuenta con todos los componentes de quienes gustan de este género: fantasía ...more
Jimmy
Jul 07, 2015 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Kerwin grew up in the Spaceman’s Orphanage on Cottman IV, until he was forced to travel to Earth. When he wasn’t able to imitate their lost Earth son Jefferson Andrew Kerwin, he joined the Terran Space Service to make his way back home to Darkover. Around his neck he wears a blue stone. He’s had it for as long as he can remember, but he has no idea that it’s a matrix stone. (view spoiler) ...more
John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing
The Bloody Sun (1964) 191 pages by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Jeff Kerwin was born on Darkover, raised in the Terran orphanage until he was twelve when he went to live with his grandparents. Jeff studied and joined the Terran space fleet and now with a few years of service has a choice of assignments he asks to go to Darkover. Jeff is looking for records of his past but when he looks he is told that there is no record of a Jeff Kerwin having ever been in the orphanage and even less information on his
Christopher Sutch
Mar 12, 2014 Christopher Sutch rated it really liked it
First, to clarify (because this book has a confusing publication history), I own a late printing of the "expanded and revised" edition of this novel (1979) that also contains the short story "To Keep the Oath." Because this novel deals with the fallout from events in the later novel _The Forbidden Tower_, I'm guessing Bradley decided to add in some material to her original 1964 novel to let her readers know what had happened to the characters in that novel and the eventual fate of the seeming re ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Darkover, with its catalyst stones, towers full of red-heads with psi powers, and its forgotten colonist history. Fascinating and mysterious, I loved the combination of space port and medieval city existing side by side, and to me, this is the best book in the series.
Lesley Arrowsmith
Dec 06, 2014 Lesley Arrowsmith rated it liked it
I sat up late at night to finish this book, which is always the sign of a good book for me - but in this case it wasn't because this book was particularly well written, but because it immersed me in the world of Darkover, which I haven't visited for a long time. I've read The Forbidden Tower, many years ago, so the background was somewhat familiar, but for the rest I was in much the same position as Jeff Kerwin, remembering some things and being surprised by others.
Certain things in the Terran s
Surreysmum
Sep 20, 2009 Surreysmum rated it liked it
Shelves: 1984, fantasy-fiction
Chuck
Jun 08, 2009 Chuck rated it it was amazing
Up-front, I will say that this is, by far, the best of its kind that Bradley wrote. The "kind" I refer to is the "A red-headed Earthman in the service of the Terran Empire feels strangely drawn to Darkover and finds his destiny, including true love, on that strange planet" book. It's a familiar motif, and one which Bradley very deliberately followed; she said that "the essence of the Darkover novels" is "the clash of cultures between Terran and Darkover." Although I understand why she did this, ...more
Mariana
May 30, 2015 Mariana rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm big fan of Marion Zimmer and this book remind me of that. The reading is very fluid and captivating. Although the course of the story is very predictable and have nothing original in the plot I kept wanting to go further with the reading. This book has many of the particularities of Marion Zimmer that I learn to enjoy and accept. She really made me open my mind and be more comprehensive and tolerant.
Esther
Aug 02, 2014 Esther rated it liked it
This is one of my favorite Darkover books; I find it to be both accessible and interesting. It was very strange re-reading it in the light of Bradley's daughter's accusations, though: with those in mind, the character of Elorie of Arilinn is rather suspect, as well, I suppose, Jeff Kerwin.
Jeanne Johnston
Nov 12, 2015 Jeanne Johnston rated it really liked it
Another Terran defects to Darkover. Or is he? This one's a little mystery, intrigue, history, and surprise at the end.

I don't like how the Terrans are making inroads.

I also don't grok how Terrans have managed to remain so provincial about sex. I mean, good grief--even Star Trek knew enough to say with space travel, marriage should be a temporary contract (5 years). And how do you settle countless worlds but still consider others to be alien and beneath you? How are there still just two sexes? I
Linden
Dec 22, 2014 Linden rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread
I am rereading all of the Darkover books in publication order.

I really enjoyed this inside look at living inside a Tower, being part of a matrix circle, and the resolution of the Forbidden Tower story-line.

I can't call it "amazing" just because the writing is a bit too dramatic and the characters not developed fully.
Juan
Feb 02, 2014 Juan rated it liked it
La mitad del libro ese interesante y entretenido, analiza como una socidad "primitiva" se obstina en no ceder ante la "civilizacion" luchando por conservar sus tradiciones. Pero la segunda parte Zimmer vuele a su feminismo y amazonas..... y se torna panfletario y doctrinario....
Karina
Jun 29, 2014 Karina rated it liked it
I read the 1964 edition. A lot of this old SFF is hard on the scientific feminist brain. Psychic abilities instead of technology and promiscuous women as a symbol of equal rights. A nice enough book, but with too much dialogue.
Xeddicus
Dec 04, 2015 Xeddicus rated it it was ok
2 and 1/2. The mystery of who was was interesting at first, then kind of stalled. Darkover itself is kind of blah, as it's run by arrogant hypocritical fool hippies. Terran's could just force them to hand over whatever at this point.
Bill
Apr 27, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it
In the early blush of my Sci-Fi love affair (the 70's), I had heard or read that MZB had used strange logic (Darkover was so far from Earth that the laws of physical space had changed) and it turned me off from this series.

I may have been hasty. This is a great piece of work with a very 70's pop mentality of ESP and the like would be like. And I can see, how the natives and most of the "ruling" class/practitioners would have come across as magic users in the early stories or the early history.
Fishface
Feb 11, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the book that got me sucked into the Darkover series. By far my favorite book that really paints a picture of a fascinatingly alien, yet very human, world.
Marcello Tarot
Mar 30, 2013 Marcello Tarot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: artù-darkover
Colpi di scena degni di una soap opera!

Anche se può essere letto indipendentemente – come tutti gli altri romanzi della saga, del resto – “L’esiliato di Darkover” si apprezza molto di più se prima si ha letto “La Torre Proibita” di cui ne è, in un certo senso, il seguito ambientato un paio di generazioni dopo.
L’intreccio è del tutto coinvolgente, e a mano a mano che leggi continui a fare ipotesi su ipotesi su quanto possa essere successo, su quale sia il mistero da svelare, ecc. E, quasi alla f
Erin
Jan 13, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, i-own, grownup-books
Just re-read this, in one of the DAW omnibus editions, with Star of Danger and Winds of Darkover, which I haven't got to yet.

I remember this being one of my favorite Darkover books when I was reading them in college, and I still like it quite a bit. There's something about the "partial-amnesiac-looking-for-his-missing-past" storyline that gets me every time, and the Forbidden Tower arc is one of the ones I like best, as "brave rebels trying to subvert the Establishment" is one of my story-trope
Jim3987
Jun 21, 2009 Jim3987 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Fantasy
I may have to change this rating because I am having trouble remembering which book in this series goes with which name. If this is the one that I think it is, then it is the best of the series.

To a great extent, most books of this series are a rewrite of the other books of this series - certainly there is a large group that are very similar. I find it strange that so many of these books culminate in the same realisation, in particular. Of the books that all are very similar, I think that this
Jenny
Apr 06, 2014 Jenny marked it as to-read
Read this one second
Dec 18, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
THe journey of self-discovery is an oft-travelled road, but Marion Zimmer Bradley takes us down it in a refreshing and characteristically engaging style through the eyes of Jeff Kerwin. Learning more of the aftershocks of the Forbidden Tower and seeing into the inner workings of Arilinn, the changes overtaking Darkover are fascinating to watch.

As always, the world building and character development are lovely, and the reveals throughout the book pile up to a startling climax.
Erika
Nov 17, 2010 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
The first book of the 'Darkover' series I read. I think it's a good place to start since the main character is an outsider who knows nothing about the ways of this world and we get to experience it and learn about it with him. It was very easy to identify myself with the protagonist and his difficulty to understand a culture so different to his (our) own. Very enticing, it left me craving for more... now I'm hooked on the Darkover series!
Nicole
Feb 19, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book.
Algot Runeman
Jun 20, 2013 Algot Runeman rated it liked it
Jeff Kerwin tries to reconnect to his childhood in this story that tries to make psionic power into hard science. Bradley casts her hero into the mix of Darkover politics, clan loyalties and the threat of takeover by the Terran Empire.

I giggled when Jeff stepped out of the spaceship hatch and climbed down the rungs of a ladder to the spaceport surface. Given that the book is from 1964, it made perfect sense.
Recommended
John
Sep 29, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
1979 Grade A. Book D10. Fictional year 2110.
2013 Grade A.

Bloody Hell, what a conclusion. Make sure you have time to finish it when you get to it. The first half of the book is also hard to put down. It gets introspective enough in the third quarter that I speed read bits. But it more than makes up for that in the rest of the story.
Jose Miguel Gonzalez
Jeff, del imperio terrrano, que decide viajar a Darkover para encontrar sus origenes, se ve envuelto, sin quererlo, en una aventura que cambiará completamente su vida... y posiblemente la de Darkover.

Me está gustando esta saga... y ya me queda poco para completarla...
  • Vazkor, Son of Vazkor (Birthgrave, #2)
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • Sword and Sorceress 22
  • The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3)
  • Dream Dancer (Kerrion Empire, #1)
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume II (Omnibus: No Quarter / The Quartered Sea)
  • Serpent's Reach
  • Blackmantle
  • The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)
  • Get Off the Unicorn
  • Seed Seeker (Seed, #3)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...

Darkover - Chronological Order (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Darkover Landfall (Darkover, #1)
  • Stormqueen! (Darkover, #2)
  • Thunderlord: A Darkover Novel
  • The Fall of Neskaya (Darkover, #3; Clingfire, #1)
  • Zandru's Forge (Darkover, #4; Clingfire, #2)
  • Hawkmistress! (Darkover, #6)
  • A Flame in Hali (Darkover, #5) (Clingfire, #3)
  • Two to Conquer (Darkover, #7)
  • The Heirs of Hammerfell (Darkover, #8)
  • Rediscovery (Darkover, #9)