The Bloody Sun (Darkover #17.2)

The Bloody Sun (Darkover #17.2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  2,055 ratings  ·  46 reviews
This is the re-written version of the original story.

To Terran Jeff Kerwin the distant planet he remembered only as a childhood dream was home. But when years of planning finally brought him back to Darkover, ha found that there was no peace for him there--not for someone with both the red hair of a Com'yn lord and the bastard strains of Terrani in his blood; not for someo...more
Published by Ace (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Bloody Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bloody Sun

Mike Smith
This is the 3rd novel written in the science fictional Darkover series, first published in 1964. The only version now available (and the one I'm reviewing) was updated in 1979 and incorporated some material that was cut from the first edition for length reasons and some new material that took into account later Darkover books written in the 60s and 70s.

This edition is much more polished than the first two books, The Planet Savers and The Sword of Aldones. I don't know how much of that is the ori...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I'm a fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley, but my affection for her rests not on the Avalon books, which I didn't care for, but her Darkover series. Darkover is a "lost colony" of Earth that falls into a medieval society. Ruled by a psychic aristocracy, it is later rediscovered by a star-spanning high-tech human federation after centuries, giving the series a feel of both science fiction and fantasy. Most books in the series examine this culture clash and this book is no exception as it focuses on a Te...more
Christopher Sutch
First, to clarify (because this book has a confusing publication history), I own a late printing of the "expanded and revised" edition of this novel (1979) that also contains the short story "To Keep the Oath." Because this novel deals with the fallout from events in the later novel _The Forbidden Tower_, I'm guessing Bradley decided to add in some material to her original 1964 novel to let her readers know what had happened to the characters in that novel and the eventual fate of the seeming re...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Darkover, with its catalyst stones, towers full of red-heads with psi powers, and its forgotten colonist history. Fascinating and mysterious, I loved the combination of space port and medieval city existing side by side, and to me, this is the best book in the series.
Valerie
This later version of the 1964 original starts differing from the very beginning by the edition of a prologue containing a dispute between Damon Ridenow and Cleindori (about whether she should go to Arilinn to be trained as a Keeper in the old ways). This is one of the few points at which Cleindori appears as an actor, and gets a speaking part in her own life.

The rest of the story is told from the point of view of Cleindori's son, who has no conscious memory of his mother. A lot of things are ex...more
Valerie
I have both this edition and the later edition, which I'll review separately.

Here I'll just say that I haven't made a point-by-point comparison with the later edition, though I've read both. The experiment with the second person narration ('you did this' 'this happened to you') appears in both editions, but isn't sustained past the prologue. Probably it proved too hard to use throughout; it's a strainful conceit.

All things considered, I'd recommend this edition only AFTER you've read the later e...more
Cera
I think the early-80s rewrite of this novel is my favourite of the Darkover books, so this early version of the story will always hold a place in my heart. It's about Jeff Kerwin, a half-Terran half-Darkovan who grew up in an orphanage and was eventually sent to Terra to live with his father's parents. Now an adult, he gets himself posted to Darkover and immediately starts looking for traces of his past, only to encounter mystery and possible conspiracy at every turn. This book explores a lot of...more
Surreysmum
Chuck
Up-front, I will say that this is, by far, the best of its kind that Bradley wrote. The "kind" I refer to is the "A red-headed Earthman in the service of the Terran Empire feels strangely drawn to Darkover and finds his destiny, including true love, on that strange planet" book. It's a familiar motif, and one which Bradley very deliberately followed; she said that "the essence of the Darkover novels" is "the clash of cultures between Terran and Darkover." Although I understand why she did this,...more
Esther
This is one of my favorite Darkover books; I find it to be both accessible and interesting. It was very strange re-reading it in the light of Bradley's daughter's accusations, though: with those in mind, the character of Elorie of Arilinn is rather suspect, as well, I suppose, Jeff Kerwin.
Juan
La mitad del libro ese interesante y entretenido, analiza como una socidad "primitiva" se obstina en no ceder ante la "civilizacion" luchando por conservar sus tradiciones. Pero la segunda parte Zimmer vuele a su feminismo y amazonas..... y se torna panfletario y doctrinario....
Karina
I read the 1964 edition. A lot of this old SFF is hard on the scientific feminist brain. Psychic abilities instead of technology and promiscuous women as a symbol of equal rights. A nice enough book, but with too much dialogue.
Marcello Tarot
Colpi di scena degni di una soap opera!

Anche se può essere letto indipendentemente – come tutti gli altri romanzi della saga, del resto – “L’esiliato di Darkover” si apprezza molto di più se prima si ha letto “La Torre Proibita” di cui ne è, in un certo senso, il seguito ambientato un paio di generazioni dopo.
L’intreccio è del tutto coinvolgente, e a mano a mano che leggi continui a fare ipotesi su ipotesi su quanto possa essere successo, su quale sia il mistero da svelare, ecc. E, quasi alla f...more
Erin
Just re-read this, in one of the DAW omnibus editions, with Star of Danger and Winds of Darkover, which I haven't got to yet.

I remember this being one of my favorite Darkover books when I was reading them in college, and I still like it quite a bit. There's something about the "partial-amnesiac-looking-for-his-missing-past" storyline that gets me every time, and the Forbidden Tower arc is one of the ones I like best, as "brave rebels trying to subvert the Establishment" is one of my story-trope...more
Jim3987
Jun 21, 2009 Jim3987 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of Fantasy
I may have to change this rating because I am having trouble remembering which book in this series goes with which name. If this is the one that I think it is, then it is the best of the series.

To a great extent, most books of this series are a rewrite of the other books of this series - certainly there is a large group that are very similar. I find it strange that so many of these books culminate in the same realisation, in particular. Of the books that all are very similar, I think that this...more
Jenny
Apr 06, 2014 Jenny marked it as to-read
Read this one second
THe journey of self-discovery is an oft-travelled road, but Marion Zimmer Bradley takes us down it in a refreshing and characteristically engaging style through the eyes of Jeff Kerwin. Learning more of the aftershocks of the Forbidden Tower and seeing into the inner workings of Arilinn, the changes overtaking Darkover are fascinating to watch.

As always, the world building and character development are lovely, and the reveals throughout the book pile up to a startling climax.
Erika
The first book of the 'Darkover' series I read. I think it's a good place to start since the main character is an outsider who knows nothing about the ways of this world and we get to experience it and learn about it with him. It was very easy to identify myself with the protagonist and his difficulty to understand a culture so different to his (our) own. Very enticing, it left me craving for more... now I'm hooked on the Darkover series!
Nicole
I enjoyed this book.
Algot Runeman
Jeff Kerwin tries to reconnect to his childhood in this story that tries to make psionic power into hard science. Bradley casts her hero into the mix of Darkover politics, clan loyalties and the threat of takeover by the Terran Empire.

I giggled when Jeff stepped out of the spaceship hatch and climbed down the rungs of a ladder to the spaceport surface. Given that the book is from 1964, it made perfect sense.
Recommended
John
1979 Grade A. Book D10. Fictional year 2110.
2013 Grade A.

Bloody Hell, what a conclusion. Make sure you have time to finish it when you get to it. The first half of the book is also hard to put down. It gets introspective enough in the third quarter that I speed read bits. But it more than makes up for that in the rest of the story.
Carole-Ann
I have the 1978 UK Arrow version of this (before the re-write) so I presume it is the same as the original US version.

Jeff Kerwin comes home to Darkover and gets involved in lots of escapades and adventures before he discovers his heritage.

Great fun, and quite moving in parts.
Jose Miguel Gonzalez
Jeff, del imperio terrrano, que decide viajar a Darkover para encontrar sus origenes, se ve envuelto, sin quererlo, en una aventura que cambiará completamente su vida... y posiblemente la de Darkover.

Me está gustando esta saga... y ya me queda poco para completarla...
Janni
Sep 16, 2008 Janni added it
This is the book that--handed to my by a friend--got my hooked on Darkover in high school, led to hours and hours of reading as I looked for every Darkover book I could find, and ultimately led to my first short fiction sale. :-)
Bradley
A nice tale full of revelations and mystery. I like the Darkover setting because of the correct mixture of psi powers and sci fi elements. This may be an older story but it is still relevant today. Truly a delight. =)
Deidre
of the "surprise you're a Comyn!" books, this one is one of the best...plus I've been waiting to find out what exactly happened to Cleindori since the doom and gloom note at the end of the Renunciates books...
Sharon
I didn't read this series in order, so read several volumes before I realized that Darkover's origins were Terran. This story clarified that history very nicely with the protagonist's struggles.
Susan Baxter
Years ago I read all of the Darkover sci fi fantasy books. It was wonderful to revisit this world. Marion Zimmer Bradley is a remarkable visionary and creative author!
Yuriko Jacobo
it was a cool book but a bit confusing at the beginning, although as it went by, reading became easier and interesting, the finale was very interesting though.
Susan
I consider this to be The Bloody Sun I... when she re-released the book MAJOR plot points had changed and the book was almost 4 times as thick...
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • The Birthgrave (Birthgrave, #1)
  • Blackmantle
  • His Conquering Sword (Jaran, #3)
  • The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3)
  • The Trouble Twisters
  • Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3)
  • The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)
  • The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun, #1-3)
  • Golden Witchbreed
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham...more
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) The Firebrand