Start by marking “A Thousand Lies: Lies Every Good American Must Believe” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Lies: Lies Every Good American Must Believe

A Thousand Lies: Lies Every Good American Must Believe

1.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Published December 14th 2009 by Poison Vine Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Lies

Christy Stewart
Feb 08, 2010 Christy Stewart rated it did not like it
All this book is a list of debatable statements. That's it. No justification or research, just a list.

In the introduction the author says the book isn't aimed to convince anyone of anything and that if we want to find evidence to back up his statements we should look on the internet.

What the fuck good is this book?

Here is a preview of my new book "This Book Is Shit”:

*ahem*

This book is SHIT.

It's true because I said it on the internet. Google it.

For the record, I don't agree or disagree with any o
Becky
Dec 16, 2015 Becky rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Pretty much nobody.
I won this as a First Reads giveaway, and I was really excited to read it. I consider myself to be a forward thinking, open minded sort, and the thought of reading the "lies" that Americans must tell themselves in order to be "Good" Americans was interesting to me. I was interested in this because I was hoping that it would lend a little insight into the lies, a little background, a little justification.

This book provided none of that.

Now, before I go on into just what annoyed me about this bo
Athena
Feb 15, 2010 Athena rated it did not like it
I received this book in the Goodreads giveaway.

In the introduction of the book A Thousand Lies, the author makes it clear that it’s “not the purpose” of the book “to convince anyone of anything”.

So does this book even have a purpose? Is it satire? It’s questionable if some of the statements are even lies. Some of the "lies" seem incomplete and fractured. Here are a few of the “lies” listed in the book along with my responses:

Statement #1
“You will never know why” – "Why" what?!?

Statement #2
“Ther
Daveski
Feb 15, 2010 Daveski rated it did not like it
This book reads like a series of Facebook status updates from a teenager who just saw Fight Club for the first time. The majority of the "lies" are just vague edgy statements that are more about opinion than anything else. Many are sentence fragments or contain typographical errors. Some are just nonsense ("Cakes must be done when they are removed from the oven").

I wonder who the intended audience of this book was? People who are already used to questioning society will find nothing new here, an
Lady
Feb 11, 2010 Lady rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I have to admit this book isn't what I expected. The idea that there are certain lies we must believe if America's political system and culture will endure was interesting. I would presume a part of the point is to bring those lies to light so that we will question them and possibly even change the course of the American system.

The part where I was disappointed was that this is just a list of those lies.
The list is interesting and thought provoking and, in the right context, could create very i
Rachelle
Feb 25, 2010 Rachelle rated it did not like it
I won this book through First Reads on this site. Originally, I was thrilled to get it. Based on it's description, I was under the impression that this book would list a "lie" then give some insight as to why it's a lie, maybe some historical background. Unfortunately, this book was literally just a list of items the author seems to be angry about. Some of the so called lies aren't complete, and many of them are not meaningful. I'm not sure if this is because the book is in it's first printing a ...more
Julie
Mar 04, 2010 Julie rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I was intrigued by the teaser: "These are a few of the lies we must believe if America's political system, culture and world dominance is to endure. Our faith in them insures we never question who we are, how we live or the world we have made. They are essential. We can't live as we do without them." So, I entered the drawing and got a copy. Well, it was a complete disappointment. Let me also say that, although I did not pay any money for t ...more
Suzanne El-hileh
Feb 10, 2010 Suzanne El-hileh rated it did not like it
In concept, this book sounded like a great idea. In practice, it fails to serve any purpose at all. After having a chance to read through the book, I discovered it is nothing more than a random list of statements the author believes to be lies. While some of these statements are logically false, others can easily be proven to be fact. Additionally, some of the statements in the book are worded in a way that implies a level of conspiratory thinking not often seen outside of paranoid schizophrenic ...more
Emily
Feb 12, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
I recieved this book for free through a giveaway on this site.

Very interesting book. I enjoy politics, and some of the lies listed in this book made me grin with pleasure. While other lies in this book rubbed me the wrong way. Others yet just made me curious for information, as the lies listed I had no idea anyone disputed, and I wondered if it truly was a lie or not. Overall I really enjoyed it, it really made me think about things that I don't usually even question, which seemed odd for me be
Feb 10, 2010 Sarah rated it did not like it
I won this book through First Reads, and I'm glad about that, because at least it means I didn't waste money on it. I was excited to receive it, but I was under the impression that these "lies" would be categorized and then expounded upon, mostly through the author's opinion but backed up by some research.

All this book is, is a list of 1000 sentences that the author calls "lies." That's it. In completely random order. Had I known this was all it took to be a published author, I could have bee
Mindy
Feb 10, 2010 Mindy rated it did not like it
Just received this in the mail from Goodreads' giveaway. I've glanced at a few of the lies. Haven't read much yet.
---
Did not "finish" this "book." It's just a collection of statements. No order, no explanations. Just statements on a page. I started in the front only got two - three pages in. The next day I started at the back.

He repeats himself. Page 5 "Americans are admired and loved around the world." Page 97 "The world loves and admires America and Americans." Same statement different order.
J. Guevara
Feb 22, 2010 J. Guevara rated it it was amazing
He clearly indicates from the start that there are no sacred cows, and spares no one as he sets about to piss off everyone. Mission accomplished. I loved it. Even if not to make up for all the undeserved one-stars, I'd still give it a 5* -- for courage, if nothing else.

I didn't agree with all the lies either, but I did appreciate that the book revealed a truth: A lot of people need to go to a proctologist to get a haircut
Darryl Cole
Feb 09, 2010 Darryl Cole rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A real eye opener. Some of the things listed in this book I agreed with, others I could argue about for hours, but that's part of what makes this book good. After reading this book you will view things in a new way. Asking your self questons others would never think of, insteed of going with what ever your told.
Sarah Williams
Jan 30, 2010 Sarah Williams rated it it was amazing
This is an infuriating, challenging, eye opening list of lies and I've had a lot of great fun sharing them with my friends and family. There are some lies here to offend everyone. No one's ox escapes ungored. Are they all really lies? Everybody's answer to that one is different.
Marty
Feb 09, 2010 Marty rated it really liked it
Goodreads win 1/31. I found this very thought provoking. An excellent resource for speach, or report writing, conversation topics; some I thought were true and this shows how at times we need to think for ourselves.
adrienne
Feb 25, 2010 adrienne rated it did not like it
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway and was fairly excited waiting for it to arrive in the mail, expecting a potentially witty political satire. Had I known when entering the giveaway that this was less a novel or essay, and more a series of one-liners, I would not have bothered.

This is not to say (write) that some of the statements aren't amusing or controversial or interesting, because they are, however there is nothing more to the book than these quick blurbs. There is nothing given
Aditi
Sep 09, 2015 Aditi rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I too won this book as a First Reads giveaway from Goodreads.

I am not too impressed with this book. This book isn't thought-provoking and doesn't challenge the reader's ideas. It doesn't encourage discussion or clear thought. It's a list, and it's passive.

The author's note says that this book is guaranteed to offend everyone. Is offending the object of this book? If so, then it is a very limited object and apart from provocation, this book does nothing. Anything controversial in our society ten
Kalyn
Mar 22, 2010 Kalyn rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this through a First-Reads giveaway. The premise is an interesting one, but the execution is what falls flat. The idea is that the book is a list, and only a list, of a thousand lies that Americans must believe in order for the country to function the way it does and for Americans to continue to see America as a superior country/ Americans as a superior people.

There is nothing in the book that begins to show why these statements are lies - the research is up to the individual. It seems a
Barb
Feb 18, 2010 Barb rated it did not like it
Shelves: politics, giveaway
So often as a progressive liberal people tell me that to question my country is to "hate" it. I don't believe that. Knowledge, discourse, and dissent allow a country to become great. I look forward to reading this book which I am being sent as a giveaway on Goodreads.

Now that I have read the books I can say that it was a major disappointment. I would not recommend it to anyone. The author may want to jump up and say "see, I told you so" thinking I wish to allow the lies to continue. However, tha
Nicholas
Feb 01, 2010 Nicholas rated it it was ok
Violet
Feb 08, 2010 Violet rated it liked it
Won this from Goodreads, waiting for it to come in the mail. Can hardly wait to see what this book says.

My book came today and I sat down and read it in a couple of hours. I found it very intersting. A lot of it I agreed with, some I wondered about, and some I didn't quite understand. Some I felt was repetitive. I think I would have enjoyed it much more if it was put together in sections. Such as 9/11 occurances. science, government, history etc.

Some of the lies that were said: "American industr
Jessica
Feb 10, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok
Goodreads win - I work in State politics (although I am nonpartisan with my job) so government and politics are intriguing to me. My husband is also a HUGE political buff, so this will be a great book for us to enjoy and discuss together!

After receiving this book in the mail, I was extremely disappointed. I was expecting more than what it was. I didn't think it was just going to be a list.

I agree with the author that some things I agreed with and some I didn't, but I still found it an extremely
Joyce Mannarino
Feb 09, 2010 Joyce Mannarino rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a giveaway and was a little disappointed. This book lists out all of the lies that we are exposed to daily but it doesn't make an arguement for or against them. It doesn't explain how or why. Anyone could make the same list on their daily life but I wouldn't think it would get published.
Briseida
Mar 07, 2010 Briseida rated it it was ok
It was all over the place. I did not expect that the book was going to be simply a list. However if you like to think about conspiracies, this is a good book for you. It was a little depressing...probably because there is a lot of truth to the lies.
Jeannie
Dec 01, 2010 Jeannie rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a Firstreads giveaway, good thing because I never would have wasted my money on it.

The description of this book led me to believe that it would offer insights and information about how we are trained to function in society. I presumed it would address subjects such as the media, cover-ups, and perhaps shed some light on little known truths to help us gain an understanding as to why we beleive these "lies" as good Americans. I found none of this in the book.

The author notes tha
May 06, 2010 Laura rated it did not like it
I was not impressed with this book. I found several grammatical errors and bad sentence structure while reading. I think the author could have done a better job of proof-reading his text before he got it published. Some of the lines weren’t separated when they should have been and this could have been easily fixed. This book just lacked effort.

Some of the lies didn’t even make sense and there were some that I didn’t feel were applicable to America. I agreed with some of the lies, but some I foun
Tony
Feb 13, 2010 Tony rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
Full disclosure: I won this book through goodreads.

And it's a good thing I did because it would have been a waste of time & money otherwise. This book is a list of 1000 lies, or so the author believes, that Americans do believe, or more importantly, must believe in order for America's world dominance to continue.

I will give the author this credit, they clearly are upset with many aspects of America - women's rights, government, science, religion to name just a few. Clearly I am not as smart
Inakat
Jan 15, 2013 Inakat rated it really liked it
I downloaded this book from Amazon. The foreword was clear and concise about the intent of the writer, so with that I dove in.

The best description that I could come with of the book is a compilation of thought provoking statements. The further along I read, the more I came to the conclusion that author was leading the reader to think about their own biases and judgments. While it was far from my usual choice of reads, I was pleasantly surprised that it addressed some "politically incorrect" tho
Sami Sundell
Nov 12, 2011 Sami Sundell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, non-fiction
The book is described as listing "a few of the lies we must believe" and then goes on to produce a listing of individual sentences which are apparently thought as lies by the author. According to Amazon author notes, lack of argumentation is by design.

According to the same notes, "the list makes many uncomfortable", which I guess is true. However, it's not that much that it challenges people, but that it is just cumbersome to read.

Many of the lies are constructed by taking something that author
Patrick
Nov 29, 2010 Patrick rated it liked it
The form of novel is interesting, but a lack of dividing the text into categories or themes makes it disjointed. Topics are not strung together by category, there are large jumps in subject matter from statement to statement. Jumping from one subject to another is more confusing than instructive. The work is at it is peak when similar ideas are lumped together to create a cohesive flow to the "lies." The obvious choice would have been to divide the book into chapters: Military, Religion, Politic ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »