Start by marking “The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics” as Want to Read:
The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics

The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics

This book examines the jubilee economic ideas taught in the Hebrew Jehovah texts:

1. All slaves should be released every seventh (Jubilee) year.
2. All debts should be forgiven every seventh (Jubilee) year.
3. No person should be required to work more than 6 days a week.
4. Possessions such as land, money, food, houses, should be returned to the larger community during the 7th
Published September 2001 by Tell the Word (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics

Michael
I had high hopes for this, but like many religious views, it resides in the cramped world of ancient tradition: "What did Paul say about such and such?" "Maybe the parable actually meant thus and so!" It's also not a book, but a disjointed pamphlet of short articles, some of them dubiously argued.

Before any commenter condemns me to hell, allow me to point out some of the problems here: inequality is an inevitable result of nature. I will never be the world's greatest jockey or a champion shot-p
TEAR Australia
Feb 19, 2009 TEAR Australia rated it really liked it
READ MORE AT:

RELATED VIDEO:

“We read the gospel as if we had no money, and spend our money as if we know nothing of the gospel.”

With this quote from theologian John Haughey, Ched Myers begins a journey through the scriptures to discover an alternative economics. An alternative to a system that leaves 800 million people hungry while urging us to consume endlessly, accumulate desperately and borrow recklessly.

The Biblic
Drick
Jan 17, 2010 Drick rated it it was amazing
In this small book (70 pages), Myers lays out the Biblical case for Sabbath Economics based on the principles of Jubilee articulated in Leviticus 25. What Myers shows is that a Jubilee perspective pervaded the ministries of both Jesus and Paul, and that terms such as "grace" and "forgiveness" are not only spiritual in meaning, but also have an economic dimension. Myers references several other authors who provide a clear understanding of the socio-economic and political context of the Biblical s ...more
Stacey
Dec 18, 2008 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians who want to be challenged with their economic resources
Recommended to Stacey by: Michaelanne
I thouroughly enjoyed the journey this book led through the scriptures. I know more of Christ now then I did when I started, I am also challenged in many ways, and am left wondering, "what next? How should I then live?"

Myers begins with a quote from theologian John Haughey, "We read the Gospel as if we had no money, and we spend our money as if we know nothing of the Gospel."

Myers interpretations of the parable of the talents is compelling. What was Christ saying, in light of his society's view
leighcia
Aug 10, 2009 leighcia rated it liked it
A set of essays on economics in God’s kingdom, reflecting particularly on what regular debt forgiveness and repatriation of land would mean in today’s society. It’s nothing out of the ordinary, but it’s an excellent introduction for those interested in the topic.
Shalom House
Jun 11, 2008 Shalom House added it
Recommended to Shalom House by: Alternative Seminary course
What I learned from this book is that God has laid out a nonviolent economy, that if followed would allow for human innovation & material success but would also never allow for humans to live in poverty, debt or slavery for very long.
Kim
Aug 30, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
this is a great overview of ched myers' vision of biblical sabbath economics. i'm not sure how well it would work as a group discussion for folks who were not already on board with his ideas, but for those who are, it is awesome.
Jay
May 12, 2008 Jay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
if this book was even partially attempted to be lived out--the whole world would change.
Eric
May 19, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Some really interesting things to think about and some new thoughts on parables that we think we know. Definitely recommend this if you can get your hands on it.
Christopher Heintz
Christopher Heintz rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Theo Kayser
Theo Kayser rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Zachary Kovitch
Zachary Kovitch rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2014
Devon
Devon rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2011
Steven Schallert
Steven Schallert rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
ben adam
ben adam rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2013
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2010
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2015
Harold Vance III
Harold Vance III rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2012
Brett Gershon
Brett Gershon rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
May 24, 2011
Noah
Noah rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Chad
Chad rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2010
Dale
Dale rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2016
Raleigh
Raleigh rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2012
Corey Hampton
Corey Hampton rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Bethany Caldwell
Bethany Caldwell rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2009