Start by marking “The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics” as Want to Read:
The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics

The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This book examines the jubilee economic ideas taught in the Hebrew Jehovah texts:

1. All slaves should be released every seventh (Jubilee) year.
2. All debts should be forgiven every seventh (Jubilee) year.
3. No person should be required to work more than 6 days a week.
4. Possessions such as land, money, food, houses, should be returned to the larger community during the 7th
Published September 2001 by Tell the Word (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics

TEAR Australia
READ MORE AT:

RELATED VIDEO:

“We read the gospel as if we had no money, and spend our money as if we know nothing of the gospel.”

With this quote from theologian John Haughey, Ched Myers begins a journey through the scriptures to discover an alternative economics. An alternative to a system that leaves 800 million people hungry while urging us to consume endlessly, accumulate desperately and borrow recklessly.

The Biblic
Michael
I had high hopes for this, but like many religious views, it resides in the cramped world of ancient tradition: "What did Paul say about such and such?" "Maybe the parable actually meant thus and so!" It's also not a book, but a disjointed pamphlet of short articles, some of them dubiously argued.

Before any commenter condemns me to hell, allow me to point out some of the problems here: inequality is an inevitable result of nature. I will never be the world's greatest jockey or a champion shot-p
Drick
In this small book (70 pages), Myers lays out the Biblical case for Sabbath Economics based on the principles of Jubilee articulated in Leviticus 25. What Myers shows is that a Jubilee perspective pervaded the ministries of both Jesus and Paul, and that terms such as "grace" and "forgiveness" are not only spiritual in meaning, but also have an economic dimension. Myers references several other authors who provide a clear understanding of the socio-economic and political context of the Biblical s ...more
Stacey
Nov 10, 2009 Stacey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians who want to be challenged with their economic resources
Recommended to Stacey by: Michaelanne
I thouroughly enjoyed the journey this book led through the scriptures. I know more of Christ now then I did when I started, I am also challenged in many ways, and am left wondering, "what next? How should I then live?"

Myers begins with a quote from theologian John Haughey, "We read the Gospel as if we had no money, and we spend our money as if we know nothing of the Gospel."

Myers interpretations of the parable of the talents is compelling. What was Christ saying, in light of his society's view
Eric
Some really interesting things to think about and some new thoughts on parables that we think we know. Definitely recommend this if you can get your hands on it.
leighcia
A set of essays on economics in God’s kingdom, reflecting particularly on what regular debt forgiveness and repatriation of land would mean in today’s society. It’s nothing out of the ordinary, but it’s an excellent introduction for those interested in the topic.
Shalom House
Jun 11, 2008 Shalom House added it
Recommended to Shalom House by: Alternative Seminary course
What I learned from this book is that God has laid out a nonviolent economy, that if followed would allow for human innovation & material success but would also never allow for humans to live in poverty, debt or slavery for very long.
Kim
this is a great overview of ched myers' vision of biblical sabbath economics. i'm not sure how well it would work as a group discussion for folks who were not already on board with his ideas, but for those who are, it is awesome.
Jay
if this book was even partially attempted to be lived out--the whole world would change.
Enid
Food for thought.
Eric Phillips
Eric Phillips marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Stefano Giudici
Stefano Giudici marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Brian Henry
Brian Henry marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Arul Raj
Arul Raj marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Lindy Edstrom
Lindy Edstrom marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Wcsims
Wcsims added it
Jun 21, 2014
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
brokentapedeck
brokentapedeck marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Sebastian Sakaria
Sebastian Sakaria is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2014
Justin Thurn
Justin Thurn marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Luke Harms
Luke Harms is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2014
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Binding the Strong Man: A Political Reading of Mark's Story of Jesus Ambassadors of Reconciliation: New Testament Reflections /Restorative Justice/Peacemaking V-1 Our God Is Undocumented: Biblical Faith and Immigrant Justice Who Will Roll Away the Stone?: Discipleship Queries for First World Christians Ambassadors of Reconciliation, Volume 2: Diverse Christian Practices of Restorative Justice and Peacemaking