Start by marking “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Mark Twain once said “The rumors of my death were greatly exaggerat—BRAINS!!!!!”

Pulled from the grip of Mark Twain’s rotting zombie hands, is Tom Sawyer like you’ve never seen him before, in a swashbuckling, treasure-seeking adventure, spiked with blood, gore, and zombie madness.

In this expanded and illustrated edition of Mark Twain’s beloved tale of boyhood adventures, To
Published August 3rd 2010 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithAbraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-SmithSense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. WintersPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Steve HockensmithJane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin
The Monster Mash
37th out of 108 books — 337 voters
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithJane Slayre by Sherri Browning ErwinSense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. WintersMr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda GrangeLittle Vampire Women by Lynn Messina
A Violation Of A Literary Classic
17th out of 26 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheri
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead (Don Borchert)*

This was an adventure book with a bit of a twist. It had the classic feel of the original Tom Sawyer stories with the twist being zombies, or as called in this book the "Zum". It took a bit adjusting as I was reading, I found myself enthralled in an adventure with Tom, Huck and friends then the Zum would enter. I did get used to it, and liked the book.

A fun book to read if you are into zombies, if you are into the classic Tom Sawyer stor
Georgiann Hennelly
This was an interesting read Tom Sawyer with a bit of a twist,Zombies, only they called them Zum the undead. Tom,s usual mishaps are injected with a taste of macrabre as the world is over run with a zombie virus known in the south as the zum. In this world Tom still manages to con his friends to do his chores for him but instead of whitewashing the fence they have to sharpen the fence posts to points to help against a zum attack.. to escape the constraints of civilized life Tom and his pal Huck ...more
Seregil of Rhiminee
Before I say anything about this book, I'll say a few words about classic books, which have been converted to horror versions:

I think it's interesting that old classic books are being converted to horror versions. It's a fascinating phenomenon, because for example Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice has been converted to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and it has sold well (these new versions are surprisingly popular). These horror versions are a bit different from the original books, because they
Beth
Another volume in the vein of Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, The Adventures of Tom Sayer and Undead is prefaced with a note to this new edition, setting the story within an invented historical context that leaves room for the Zums (zombies).

Borchert rewrites the American classic Tom Sawyer, setting the tale in
19th century overrun with the zombies. Literally a chapter by
chapter revision with the same characters and scenes, the author can
be commended on maintaining the voice, style and struc
It shouldn't surprise any of my regular readers that I've really gotten into this zombie mashup concept going on in books lately. In fact I've decided I should become some sort of expert on the subject, so when I saw this ARC at PLA (yes, I realize that was all the way back in March) I just had to take it home. Unfortunately, I've never read the original Adventures of Tom Sawyer, so I can't compare the two (except for what I learned by watching the movie Tom & Huck, starring then teen heartt ...more
I tried - I really tried to get into this book. But the idea of the Zum and Tom Sawyer? No. The humor of Twain's classic is just lost with the addition of the Zum, and the added bits do nothing to make the story resonate the way the original does. Most of the set pieces are there (the picket fence, the camping trip, Injun Joe, Becky Thacher, etc.) but when you have maggot-infested dead people popping up, well, something's lost.

Please, stop this trend before it happens again.

ARC provided by publ
Mike Dougherty
I never read the original Tom Sawyer adventures so im not sure if the story is re told into a different kind of adventure. I like this story because it is filled with adventure,love and true friendship. Tom and Huck go out to find a treasure and discover that they have walked into something totally unexpected. This is a book that always kept me wondering what was gona happen next. A great book that brings back the legend of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn back into our times.
Michelle
Basically a word for word account of the original classic tale but instead a life where Zums (zombies) roam around and Tom wants to become a Zum hunter and Injun Joe is more than just dead, but undead.

And this took my forever to read only because I got bored with it and the lack of zombies to entice me to read on. Overall I did enjoy reading about the boyhood of Tom, but will refrain from recommending this to anyone else.
John Poindexter
The book did a pretty good job of sticking to the original story. But, I am not impressed with the Zum addition. First you don't see one until you are about three for ths of the way through the book, then it is really hard to relate to injun Joe as s Zum.

I think the classic should be left alone and zombie books written for and about zombies.

I received this Advance Reading Copy from Goodreads giveaways.
Alicia
Can I just start by saying that Twain fans would die and Twain himself would role over in his grave if he read this book. While the book was imaginative, it lacked what I consider any effort to make a story real. I was highly dissappointed by this book. I couldnt even finish it, which is sad because this is only the third book that I have ever not finished.

Dont waste your time or money!
Heather
Another fun monster mash-up! If you enjoyed the original and love some zombies thrown in this is the one for you! And it's a fun read for the approaching Halloween holiday.

The beginning was a bit slow and there are some obvious changes from the original. I recommend it for a light fun read.

Thanks to First Reads here on Goodreads for offering me the opportunity to read the book.
Donna
I won this from First Reads. I liked it better than I thought I would. It's been a long time since I read the original, but this had the "flavor" that I remembered. I actually thought this was more entertaining than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
Lori Wilkey
This was a humorous retelling of the Tom Sawyer story but this time there are zombies (known as Zum) walking around. A quick read, I did enjoy seeing some of the events that make Tom Sawyer classic with a different perspective. Instead of white washing the fence, Tom convinces his friends to make stakes to keep the Zum out. This was a fun, quick read.
Carol
A great spoof of Tom Sawyer with some unique changes and a little supernatural element to increase excitement, involving a virus that changes so many things. Mark Twain is sooo droll, with a dry sense of humor. Don Borchert added to this with his unique spin toward fantasy.
A good read.
Ichaerus
Jul 14, 2010 Ichaerus marked it as to-read
Cannot WAIT to get my hands on a copy of this. Love all of the "reimagined classics" books out there (currently reading Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, with Android Karenina and Little Women & Werewolves up after that), and just flat out love all things zombie.
Shoshana
I'm actually surprised at how small a role the zombies played. Reading this felt like revisiting Tom Sawyer with occasional references to the flesh-eating undead. I'm not quite sure what the point was, but it doesn't leave me aghast at the state of literature, either.
Ted
It's an okay story. It has most of the important elements and characters from the original book, but this adaptation just didn't come together all that well.

Disclaimer: I got this book for free from GoodReads.com's 'First Reads' giveaway.
Rich
Mar 26, 2012 Rich rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Noone.
It was "nothing to write home about." I read Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain in high school and I really enjoyed. I thought it would be the same, if not better with the addition of Zomibes... But sadly I was wrong. It's was "Okay," at it's best.
Shane
This was my first monster/classic mash-up. It obviously mimicked the original work, but the zombie (Zum) twist made a familiar story fun. I really enjoyed the writing.

I won this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway.
Alissa
If you're looking for a book that is actually about zombies...this is not it. Not that is isn't full of adventure (just as the original) it's just that very little of that adventure involved zombies.
Robert Steagall
This book was an excellent alternate history of Tom Sawyer living in a world where the dreaded Zum walk the earth, but this doesn't stop young Tom, Huck and Joe from having adventures.
Shannon
It was fun if not taken very seriously. I thought it was a fun twist on the original story. I found it an enjoyable and fast read if you want something that is just fun.
Misfit
Aug 17, 2012 Misfit marked it as will-never-read
Shelves: monster-mash
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

PS, this is a GR giveaway if anyone really wants to check it out. Not me.
Diana
Well-Done Macabre Twist on a Great Classic

My full review is published here:
Jackson
It was a perfect day without clouds, adult supervision, or the undead.
Melissa Schmidty -Schmidt
Haha I love these genre-bending bastardizations of classics!!
Alex
A little too similar to Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn
Nancy
i don't know. so far not very bloody.
Stacey
Fun spoof.
  • Robin Hood & Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • I Am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
  • Little Vampire Women
  • Northanger Abbey and Angels and Dragons
  • Emma and the Vampires (Jane Austen Undead Novels)
  • Grave Expectations
  • Boleyn Tudor Vampire
  • Henry VIII, Wolfman
  • Little Women and Werewolves
  • Shakespeare Undead (Shakespeare Undead, #1)
  • Alice in Zombieland
  • Romeo & Juliet & Vampires
  • Wuthering Bites
  • Vampire Darcy's Desire: A Pride and Prejudice Adaptation
Don Borchert is a library assistant in suburban Los Angeles. He lives in Lomita, California.
More about Don Borchert...
Free for All