The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook

The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  3,513 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Book annotation not available for this title.
Title: The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion
Author: King Arthur Flour
Publisher: W W Norton & Co Inc
Publication Date: 2003/09/01
Number of Pages: 512
Binding Type: HARDCOVER
Library of Congress: 2003046253
Published September 25th 2003 by Countryman Press (first published September 17th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
28th out of 829 books — 837 voters
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisThe Last Chinese Chef by Nicole MonesMedium Raw by Anthony BourdainHeat by Bill Buford
Great Books about Food
47th out of 146 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Rick Segers
If I can quote one of the comments on this book, "if you like to bake then you need this book." It's a grand collection of recipes for baking bread (homemade rye bread yum), pies (the best Key Lime pie recipe I have found) and just about every recipe in the book is great. Couple this with information on their website and with practice you can master most baking skills easily. I know most cookbook fans don't just have one book but when the subject is baking this is the only one you would need.
Mary Mcelveen
Jan 05, 2010 Mary Mcelveen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who bakes.
Shelves: cookbooks
If you bake, you need this book. It could be subtitled "Everything You Need to Know about Flour and the Baking Process". From the difference between hard and soft wheat to the reasons behind every step in the baking process, it is all here. Excellent reference, and excellent recipes. If I were forced to winnow (some wheat humor, there) my collection down to 5-10 cookbooks, this would be among them.
Elsha
I came from a home where homemade bread was rarely produced and I have always wanted to get into bread baking so this is one of the places I started. King Arthur's web page is another. This book offered excellent information and tips about bread making. I only thoroughly read the yeast bread section since the book is probably 600 pages or more. I came out understanding the science behind baking and yeast a little better. I've attempted quite a few loaves in the past few weeks and none of them ha...more
Meghan
This is the best cookbook I have ever owned. Forget Better Homes and Gardens and America's Test Kitchen; for a beginning baker, this is the one to get.

Almost every recipe comes out quite good, and several have been excellent. The White Bread 101 recipe makes the best rolls I have ever eaten, the Apple Maple Walnut Cobbler is so easy and tastes so satisfying, the soft wrap bread is so tasty and versatile - it can serve as both naan or a wrap for tacos, the pumpkin pie is delicious and I don't ev...more
Christina
This book is a really good book. I give it 3.5 stars; four just seems too high. This is a thick book full of accurate recipes. Anyone who is into cooking knows it is a pain when measurements given do not result into a good final product. All of the recipes I have tried so far are excellent. The biscotti recipes are really great especially when dipped in chocolate ;). One of my biggest complaints for this book is the set up of the recipes and pictures. For such a large cookbook there are very few...more
Katie
I am so excited that I received this book as a gift at my bridal shower. I love to bake and this is the quintessential baking cookbook. I live at a high altitude and it even has a small section of advice for high altitude bakers. I can not wait to use this exhaustive collection of baking recipes throughout the years.
Becky Cook
This baking book is not for beginners! However seasoned bakers will find some amazing formulas and fun baking adventures. In the breakfast section you will find the most amazing basic pancake recipe! Give it a try... If you a new baker check it out of the library first and try some of the formulas and then make a purchase. Happy Baking!!!
Courtney
A little complex for the beginner baker. But some really great recipes too. Worth a look.
Georgia
This is unquestionably the best baking cookbook I've ever read-- clear and detailed instructions, a wonderful variety of recipes, and thoughtful explanations behind proper baking practices. I'd give it a 4.5/5 only because I'm so used to seeing pictures besides recipes now (this tome does not have that, though it does have a handful of beautiful photos at the center), but really, a classic baking book.
Karen Jean Matsko Hood
The King Arthur Flour Baker's book is a great collection of recipes for baking.The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
Riona
This is another cookbook I've had for ages but have barely made any of the recipes in it. I really like the layout--there aren't many photos, just a few color inserts, but the sheer amount of recipes makes up for it. This is definitely like a baking bible. I especially like that they list both volume and weight measurements for all recipes.

As with all my cookbook reviews, I'll update as I cook from this!

Gingerbread Pancakes -- 4 stars
These have really good flavor, but I found them a touch on the...more
Amanda
I've never made a bad thing from this cookbook. EVERYTHING is wonderful! Illustrations, explanations, glossary, everything is helpful & delicious. Its my "go to" of all my cookbooks. Love the sandwich rye bread and several pie recipes!
Ashley Sigmon
Every single recipe in this basic baking cookbook is, as one friend would say, "business."
CJ
Mar 02, 2008 CJ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: cooking
I have not read all of this book, as it is mostly a recipe book, but about 1/3 of it is the science behind baking and how ingredients combine to make your breads and cookies and cakes rise or be fluffy or not. Knowing the 'why' behind the recipe is helping me make the substitutions that I like doing to try and make slightly healthier versions of bad for you treats! I am a fan of the KA flours and their website too, though. This one is from the library, but I think I need to purchase one to keep...more
Genie
Oct 21, 2010 Genie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
This cookbook rocks! If you like to bake, it is a must have. The information is outstanding, basic info that I like to be able to reference easily, and tips and tricks from their stellar test kitchens. My goal is to be able to do all of our bakery goods, crackers and sandwich rolls for example, as well as bread and cookies, and this cookbook has a recipes for all these items. Most important, what I've baked out of it has been excellent!
Kristin
Incredibly comprehensive with a lot, a lot of detail. Not as much as the Bread Bible, but still. My only complaint (besides the unwavering use of potato flour - I'm sorry, but who the hell has potato flour?) is that the book tries to cover so many areas, and in doing so, doesn't get really deep on yeasted breads. I could give a shit about cakes and cookies, you know?
Eva
Apr 27, 2008 Eva rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like to bake, or like to read about yummy baked goods
This is the most amazing baking book I have ever read/used. It has great explanations for how things work - chemical reactions that make your muffins rise, etc and an fantastic section on artisan breads. There is a recipe for nearly anything you would ever want to bake. Every recipe I have tried has come out perfectly. Awesome book!
Gloria
While I did not actually find time to bake any yeast bread, I love this book. It is thorough in its explanations; the recipes appear to be delicious and do-able. Lots to explore in this thick book beyond bread though bread is perhaps the strongest reason to pick this up. And the web site is absolutely excellent.
Marcela Mulleady
This book is a must for all bakers. Don't worry about your skill level. There are recipes here for every one. King Arthur also teaches free classes. Check their website for more information.

I attended two of their classes and I was so impressed by the professionalism and quality of classes. First class act.
Catherine Woodman
This is one of an excellent series by King Arthur on baking--having been to their store in Northfield a number of times, I can see that they have alot of experience with baking and took a long time to go from there to doing cookbooks, which is a good way to do it--these recipes work and are delicious
Pinky
I'm addicted to bread, and this book doesn't help that addiction at all! It has great tips for making bread for everyone. Measurements in both size and weight, as well as clear, consise descriptions and beautiful pictures to get those juices flowing, a must have for those that love bread too.
Liz
Jul 05, 2008 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any baker; anyone trying to learn baking
Shelves: cookbooks
If I were on a deserted island that happened to have an oven, this is one of the books I'd want to have with me. This book is a great first baking book to buy, with a mix of a wide range of recipes, from cookies to breads. I've never made anything from this that I didn't enjoy.
Seth
A great basic cookbook. You will most likely have all the ingredients for almost every recipe in this book on hand, unlike a lot of newer cookbooks which call for odd and expensive ingredients. And it had a large breakfast section which I enjoyed.
Aleeda
Aug 11, 2011 Aleeda added it
This is one of my go-to books when I'm looking for recipes for baked goods. Sometimes there's a hint in there about a technique or an ingredient that makes the knowledge useful beyond that recipe. KAF tests and retests, tweaking each recipe as necessary.
Laurie
Mar 14, 2008 Laurie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bakers, Anyone who is a fan of bread, cookies, cakes, or pastries in general
Shelves: delectable
This book has a recipe for anything you can think of that you want to bake! I also love the fact that there is plenty to read, from the history of certain foods to baking tools.

P.S.- The popover recipe is amazing!
Willow
This is the best cookbook ever! Every recipe I've tried has been excellent. Of course it's all about flour, so it only has breads, scones, muffins, cookies, pizza crust and pancakes...stuff like that. It's excellent though.
Stacy
I checked this out from the library, and I have already put it on my Amazon wishlist. It has great recipes and wonderful information. I rank it right up there with my America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated cookbooks.
Liz
Favorite recipes:
Key lime pie
Peach cobbler (adapted from two recipes)
Spencer's favorite whole wheat sandwich bread is here. For bread, I remain obsessed with the NY Times no-knead recipe, slightly modified.
Cathy
Just bought this cookbook. I have been wanting this book for a long time. So excited to finally be able to sit down and flip through all the wonderful recipes. Can't wait to roll up my sleeves and get busy!!
  • The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook: All the joy and variety of baking-the experience and tradition of America's most historic flour company (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks)
  • The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • The Bread Bible
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • The Lady & Sons Just Desserts: More Than 120 Sweet Temptations from Savannah's Favorite Restaurant
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • I'm Just Here for More Food: Food x Mixing + Heat = Baking
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • Baking
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • Beard on Bread
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook: All the joy and variety of baking-the experience and tradition of America's most historic flour company (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks)