Start by marking “The London Companion” as Want to Read:
The London Companion

The London Companion

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  9 reviews
If you love London, then this is your book, mate. Within these pages are hundreds of facts, figures, stories, quotes, jokes, and anecdotes—from its earliest times, when hippos swam the Thames and elephants lived in Trafalgar Square, right up to the present day. Find out whose head fell off London Bridge into his daughter’s lap, what goes on at the Horseshoe and Faggott Cut ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Anova Books

To ask other readers questions about The London Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The London Companion

Scott
This little pocket book of quirky facts about London is just thick enough to keep you amused as you hop over the Atlantic. Jo Swinnerton and her crew culled a small stack of Metropolitan guides for off-beat information. They bundled their research in this dainty little volume, The London Companion (2004), that won't take up too much space on your fold-down tray. The type is tiny, but the facts are fun, and the ribbon gives it a splash of elegance.

Elephants in Trafalgar Square? Piranhas falling o
Clare O'Beara
This neat little book has been carefully edited to fit a few items on each page with nothing spilling over onto another page. Even the page numbers are used to tell us the percentage of theatres in Britain which are in London, or the year in which such a firm opened.

Facts and lists about London cram each page, from films using Trafalgar Square to the original and new names of Tube stations whose names have been altered.

The origin of the Tube map was when an unemployed draughtsman decided to ma
Brooke
Brilliant little companion book for those interested in London -- travelers, students, historians, writers, architects, and the simply curious. You're bound to find at least one fascinating tidbit. I especially enjoyed the creative use of page numbers as "by the numbers" facts.
Mandy
Sep 07, 2007 Mandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves london, history and knowing random trivia
This is a part of a collection of "Think Books". They have multiple topics covered in the London Companion. It was the equivalent of having your great-uncle along for the trip, telling you quips about local history that no museum or tour guide could ever remember. Really neat.
Meredith
my friend picked this book up when we were in London and I had to get a copy for myself. I pick it up and flip through whenever I'm feeling homesick for London. All the tidbits and useless knowledge make me feel better :o)
Brittanie
This book just fuelled my desire to see London for myself and helped me mark a few places on my to-see list. Very interesting facts, both historical and modern-ish (my copy was published in '04).
m
Jun 20, 2007 m rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: london tourists
Shelves: londres
One of the first of the compendia of trivia that are all in vogue now. One of the best, too -- but still, something to pick up, enjoy on the airplane, and not really pick up again.
Emily
AMAZING random facts about London. A great bathroom read for an anglophile if you know what I mean...
Melyni
A fun book on facts and history about London.
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
April
April added it
Jan 09, 2014
Tony
Tony added it
Apr 20, 2013
Andre
Andre marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
Sarah added it
Apr 21, 2012
The History of Britain Companion: Fascinating Folklore, Mysterious Histories, & Britannic Brilliance The Cook's Companion The History of Britain Pocket Companion London Pocket Companion Cook's Pocket Companion