Start by marking “The London Companion” as Want to Read:
The London Companion

The London Companion

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  32 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
If you love London, then this is your book, mate. Within these pages are hundreds of facts, figures, stories, quotes, jokes, and anecdotes—from its earliest times, when hippos swam the Thames and elephants lived in Trafalgar Square, right up to the present day. Find out whose head fell off London Bridge into his daughter’s lap, what goes on at the Horseshoe and Faggott Cut ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Robson Books, Limited

To ask other readers questions about The London Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The London Companion

Rivers of London by Ben AaronovitchThe Ghost Map by Steven JohnsonLondon Under by Peter AckroydThe Water Room by Christopher FowlerLondon Under by Peter Ackroyd
Legends & Folklore of London
38th out of 119 books — 15 voters
Catch-22 by Joseph HellerLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottMy Name is Joe by Stefan BourqueThe Daughter of Time by Josephine TeyHeart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Average Joes? Not these guys ...
86th out of 135 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott
Apr 17, 2013 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: 2000s, london
This little pocket book of quirky facts about London is just thick enough to keep you amused as you hop over the Atlantic. Jo Swinnerton and her crew culled a small stack of Metropolitan guides for off-beat information. They bundled their research in this dainty little volume, The London Companion (2004), that won't take up too much space on your fold-down tray. The type is tiny, but the facts are fun, and the ribbon gives it a splash of elegance.

Elephants in Trafalgar Square? Piranhas falling o
Lucy
a collection of fascinating facts about London. Even the page numbers have a fact attached to them: page 12 says 12 is the average number of operas produced in London each year; page 126 says 126 is the number of parish churches in London. Some facts are not of interest to me, such as things about the history of cricket, and when various stations of the Underground were founded, moved, renamed, or closed.
Highly recommended for travel lovers and trivia lovers. I'd love to have my own copy. Well w
Clare O'Beara
Jul 20, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it really liked it
This neat little book has been carefully edited to fit a few items on each page with nothing spilling over onto another page. Even the page numbers are used to tell us the percentage of theatres in Britain which are in London, or the year in which such a firm opened.

Facts and lists about London cram each page, from films using Trafalgar Square to the original and new names of Tube stations whose names have been altered.

The origin of the Tube map was when an unemployed draughtsman decided to ma
Brooke
May 29, 2012 Brooke rated it really liked it
Brilliant little companion book for those interested in London -- travelers, students, historians, writers, architects, and the simply curious. You're bound to find at least one fascinating tidbit. I especially enjoyed the creative use of page numbers as "by the numbers" facts.
Mandy
Sep 07, 2007 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves london, history and knowing random trivia
This is a part of a collection of "Think Books". They have multiple topics covered in the London Companion. It was the equivalent of having your great-uncle along for the trip, telling you quips about local history that no museum or tour guide could ever remember. Really neat.
Meredith
Jan 23, 2008 Meredith rated it really liked it
my friend picked this book up when we were in London and I had to get a copy for myself. I pick it up and flip through whenever I'm feeling homesick for London. All the tidbits and useless knowledge make me feel better :o)
Brittanie
Jun 21, 2011 Brittanie rated it really liked it
This book just fuelled my desire to see London for myself and helped me mark a few places on my to-see list. Very interesting facts, both historical and modern-ish (my copy was published in '04).
mike
Jun 20, 2007 mike rated it liked it
Recommends it for: london tourists
Shelves: londres
One of the first of the compendia of trivia that are all in vogue now. One of the best, too -- but still, something to pick up, enjoy on the airplane, and not really pick up again.
Emily
Jul 02, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
AMAZING random facts about London. A great bathroom read for an anglophile if you know what I mean...
Melyni
Apr 16, 2011 Melyni rated it really liked it
A fun book on facts and history about London.
Anand Lukose
Anand Lukose marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Rylee Warner
Rylee Warner marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Mr T J Whiteman
Mr T J Whiteman rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Andrew Schalkwyk
Andrew Schalkwyk rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Radha
Radha marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Chris Millington
Chris Millington rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Vinod Pillai
Vinod Pillai marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Mary Sier
Mary Sier marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Maximilian
Maximilian marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Liza
Liza rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
David
David added it
Feb 23, 2015
Denise Matthess
Denise Matthess rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Maianne
Maianne rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2015