Start by marking “Born in Death (In Death, #23)” as Want to Read:
Born in Death (In Death, #23)

Born in Death (In Death #23)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  18,011 Ratings  ·  560 Reviews
Eve Dallas has a grisly double homicide to solve when two young lovers-both employees of the same prestigious accounting firm-are brutally killed on the same night. It doesn't leave Eve a lot of leftover time to put together a baby shower for her buddy Mavis, but that's supposedly what friends are for.
Now Mavis needs another favor. Tandy Willowby, one of the moms-to-be i
Published November 7th 2006 by Putnam (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Born in Death, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jilly
Aug 08, 2016 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Eve has to throw her bestie a baby shower. She's not amused that the men get out of the whole thing and are going out drinking during it.

"We'll think fondly of you over beer, me and my penis."

She ate a little more, then smiled slowly. "You've still got to be in the birthing room when she pushes it out."

"Shut up, Eve."

"Your penis won't save you t
Sylvia
Nov 23, 2013 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed out loud and I cried. One of my faves in the series for sure.
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read 8-11 September 2013
Awwwww. Births usually make me laugh or creep me out[in books I mean] but it was great in this book, I even cried!

2nd read 3-8 January 2016
Karla

5 Stars! By far the most amusing read in the series.

This ragtag crew has endured the worst human nature can dish out, murders, kidnapping, mutilation...horrific things, and it barely even fazes them, but a baby coming into the world turns them inside out. Just the mere thought or mention of what the body has to endure during a pregnancy and birth has them cringing in fear and disgust.

I was in stitches for a good part of the book, but the last hour I was howling with laughter. I thought Roarke
Maria
This book deserves five stars for just the scene where Eve is dashing back and forth between two hospital rooms and two women giving birth. The baby shower is a close second. And Roarke and Eve's reactions when two women go into labor in their home is a definite third. All of them are wonderfully funny. I love the way Eve is working two cases at once, going without much needed sleep along with Roarke, while she juggles the two and barely beats out the babies' arrivals with a solution to both cas ...more
Angela
Dec 21, 2008 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery, in-death
Is the In Death series really up to 23 books? Wow. No wonder it's getting harder for it to have installments that stand out from the crowd. The last few have been more or less "meh", and this one didn't particularly grab me either. It wasn't bad reading--just didn't have any particular substance. The mystery was simple and unsurprising, and I was tired of the subplot of "Eve and Roarke are panicky about Mavis having her baby" a few books ago. (At least the good news is, now they can actually sto ...more
Bigd_041555
Feb 18, 2016 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say - I love this book. The experience that Mavis, Eve, and Roarke (and of course Leonardo) go through is quite hilarious and right on the mark. This book really humanizes the cast of characters - the "crime" is despicable as are the criminals, which makes this police procedural a great book.

Two thumbs up and 5 stars - highly recommend this book!

On to Innocent in Death (another favourite).
Glamdring
Sep 22, 2014 Glamdring rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My favorite so far and the more funny in my opinion.
LJ
BORN IN DEATH (Police Proc-NYC-Future) – VG
Robb, J.D. (aka Nora Roberts) – 25th in series
Putnam, 2006- Amer Hardcover
*** Eve Dallas is investigating the murder of a young professional woman. One murder quickly turns into two as her fiancée is found murdered in his apartment; two murders, one killer. To Eve, the motive clearly ties back to their work. But in the midst of the investigation, Eve’s extremely pregnant friend, Maise, begs Eve to find a fellow mother-to-be, Tandy, who has suddenly disa
Caro
Aug 31, 2014 Caro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-death
Woo-Hoo!!! That was a good one. Plenty of love, emotions, tense, finger-gripping, good amounts of humor that has you snickering and laughing, aggravation, steaminess, some good doses of weirdness, some panic (still smiling about those bouts), some happy and touching moments, and everything in between. A great read that gets you started and keeps pulling you along. Love the interactions in this one. The ending was page-flipping and left you with a smile that's both fun and a sweet happy at the sa ...more
Steve
Mar 21, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, in-death
I found this book difficult to put down, much like the entire In Death series I've read to date. The action picked up the first page, and through a maze of plot twists, some expected and some unexpected, the climax came quickly. When the dual reasons for the title of the book hit me, I had to take a moment. I loved the resolution, but would have liked to have seen a little more.
Kara-karina
Jul 11, 2016 Kara-karina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it was hard to beat the previous book in the series, this was still a very good read which brought tears to my eyes. All these babies being born, and Eve was completely out of her element along with Roarke, which was hilarious. Give her a few murders, and she is back to her comfort zone! Nice, fast, engaging read, and at times, very touching.
* * *
Побить качеством предыдущую книгу серии было конечно невозможно, однако Рождённая в Смерти читалась всё-равно очень хорошо, и я аж от неё просле
Kerry
Feb 08, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: 9, library, mystery, 2006
This was a lovely addition to Robb's series and the continuing tale of Eve and Roarke. We've been counting down to the birth of Mavis' baby for a while now and in this book, the big day finally arrives.

Robb manages some lovely humour as Eve and Roarke, neither of which has an experience of functional and happy families, try to come to terms with what it will mean to be Mavis and Leonardo's support people at the birth. Eve finds herself doomed to throw a baby shower, and manages only with Peabody
Andree
Apr 23, 2016 Andree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Went back to this series on a whim. It's almost an old friend. This one is solid, but I wouldn't say spectacular. There's nothing wrong with it. Eve and Roarke panicking about Mavis' impending pregnancy is obviously one of the highlights. Another is Roarke's face being described as "angel-kissed." I mean, sadly no doomed poet reference, but the description's still up there in the top five absurd descriptions of Roarke. I laughed aloud.

But apart from the pregnancy stuff, none of this stood out. I
Steph Ann
Apr 30, 2015 Steph Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hopping back into this series is like visiting with a friend you haven't seen in awhile: no matter how long it's been, you're easily able to catch up as if no time had passed. This book was great from page 1, with Eve having to attend childbirth classes with Mavis. All the scenes involving Eve dealing with Mavis' pregnancy were priceless. The two cases Eve's working on are both very interesting, and it kept me guessing until the end. I'll have to read the next one as soon as I can!
Maria
Jun 28, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

After reading this book, I have to admit that I am very glad for the fact that this series has so many books! Simply amazing! Mystery, drama, humor, romance… everything combined perfectly!

This time, Eve has to solve the mystery of the murder of two lovers and to help the very pregnant Mavis find one of her friends who is also pregnant and missing. Of course, she has the help of her sexy husband but this time ther
Courtney
Jul 10, 2014 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best (and certainly most comic)in the series. This is Eve's outing as it display's just about every side of her character and personality from best to worst. All the characters have their roles to play, but this one is about Eve and ultimately shows how her character is softening as a person -- although certainly not as a cop.

Scanning some of the other reviews, I feel sorry for the folks who pick up a book well into a series and then criticize and pan the entire series because they do
Ira
Feb 04, 2016 Ira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one so good!
Roarke wanted 5 or 6 kids, hallelujah for that Eve, LOL:)))
Breathe Eve, breathe...

I kind of found out what was going on at 60%, but still fun to see how it's happened!

I love this series, actually the mystery or suspense in it not that fabulous.
I won't keep read them if just for those reasons, but I love it because the characters in this series are so wonderful and fun eventho the crime itself are grim.
Yup, that what make me continue reading how Eve and Roarke keep supporting ea
Lou Douglas
Oct 25, 2014 Lou Douglas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot going on in this book, and while I generally enjoy reading it (I've read through the series a few times), the enjoyment is not necessarily derived from an excellent murder mystery. However, there are some good elements here:

The murders of the young couple at the beginning are just sad - such brutal ends to promising lives.

The parallel story of Mavis getting ready to deliver, Eve and Roarke's complete terror at the thought of being involved in the delivery.

A promising cast of chara
Christine
Natalie Copperfield, a conscientious, young accountant, is found beaten and strangled in her apartment, apparently as a result of discovering suspicious financial activity within the high profile firm with which she's employed. Her boyfriend who works for the same accounting firm, is found murdered by the same method in his apartment, having been killed shortly after his girlfriend. Lt. Eve Dallas begins investigating into the two murders while also preparing for and anticipating the birth of Ma ...more
Gina
I sort of agree with some of the reviews I've read elsewhere. Sure, the book wasn't as exciting, the plot not as thick as previous books, but I think Eve and Roarke needed to work some things out more personally than the usual norm that we've read. I really liked the ending, how Eve's past still manages to catch up with her - and how she can push it back, push it away. She was there for the best friend that needed her there, wanted her there, and I think with both, Eve and Roarke in that room wi ...more
Tonya
Mar 14, 2011 Tonya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was looking at other reviews and found this one right on the nose, so I'm copying it: This is my first "In Death" series by J.D. Robb...and it will be my last. Maybe I made a mistake starting with #23 of the series!? I really enjoy a good murder mystery, and the plot was OK, the only reason I forged on and read the entire book. However, I did not find the characters likeable, and I saw no purpose in setting it in 2060 other than giving the author a chance to use imaginary, futuristic vocabular ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
May 03, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it it was amazing
The "...IN DEATH" series, without a doubt, is one of the best. The perfect mix of mystery, psychological thriller, and romance, each book in this series always offers up a reading delight.

Once again, Eve Dallas is faced with solving a horrific crime. This time, as often happens with Dallas, the death of a young account executive and her financial manager fiance brings her own strong emotions into the mix. Since she's already dealing with the imminent arrival of Mavis's baby, the fact that she a
Caz Malpas
4.5 BABY STARS

I loved this one, the storyline wasn't the reason why though, oh no what took it to one of my favourites in the series was it was hilarious, Eve and Roarke crapping themselves about being a birthing partner to Mavis cracked me up, there was a lot of banter and funny comments between them both as well as Peabody's sarcastic jibes to Eve just made the book for me!

A funny great read, and I have to confess I may well of had a tear in my eye at the end.

NEXT PLEASE.......
Kathy Schwartz
Mar 09, 2011 Kathy Schwartz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first "In Death" series by J.D. Robb . . . and it will be my last. Maybe I made a mistake starting with #23 of the series!? I really enjoy a good murder mystery, and the plot was OK, the only reason I forged on and read the entire book. However, I did not find the characters likeable, and I saw no purpose in setting it in 2060 other than giving the author a chance to use imaginary, futuristic vocabulary that was either confusing or silly. Pregnant women were intricate to the story, bu ...more
Coralie
Nora Roberts isn't my favorite author, but these JD Robb books are recommended by a lot of people I know. I didn't hate this, but it took me a long while to get into it. I didn't feel that the futuristic elements of the book added to the appeal. I think that Roberts (Robb) sets her character up with a filthy rich husband to make the story easier to write. Of course she can solve all these crimes when she has a husband with all the resources and time in the world to help her. And even though ther ...more
Dana
Mar 07, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time Eve Dallas has a very busy time. Two young lovers have been found murdered from the same accounting firm. That same accounting firm is making doubly sure that no information regarding their accounts will ever land in the police's hands.

At the same time Eve and Roarke attend the dreaded birthing coach's class and Eve is preparing for the baby shower that she is to give Mavis. Eve doesn't have a clue and Peabody helps her out. But Tandy Willowby, a friend from Mavis' birthing classes has
Meggie
This story was excellent, full of humor, with well created and written murder case. I read the story many times now, but didn't rate it jet so it was once again an enjoyable audio experience. I loved it whole!
Jane
Mar 15, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite in the series. I literally laughed out loud toward the end. And there were even some tears. I am completely cognizant of the fact that these are the literary equivalent of Cheetos. And Cheetos rock.
Vicki
I'm getting a little too good at predicting the killer in these, and this one was particularly telegraphed. Still a decent read. Also Dallas needs to show some personal growth pretty soon. Being terrified of babies and children and all things soft is feeling a bit rote at this point.
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Born In Death (Dec. 2014) Spoiler Zone 36 23 Jan 07, 2015 08:22AM
J.D. Robb : Born In Death (Spoiler Zone) 19 53 Jan 23, 2014 10:17AM
JD ROBB 13 80 Jan 02, 2014 05:45PM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Hades
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“I can handle it. But it stinks, if you ask me, really stinks, that you get to go out somewhere drinking beer while I'm stuck at Baby Central. Just because you have a penis."

"We'll think fondly of you over beer, me and my penis."

"Shut up, Eve."

"Your penis won't save you then, Pal.”
40 likes
“The worst, the very worst requirement of friendship, in Eve Dallas's opinion, was sitting through an entire evening of childbirth classes.

What went on there--the sights, the sounds, the assault on all the senses--turned the blood cold.”
18 likes