Start by marking “Innocent in Death (In Death, #24)” as Want to Read:
Innocent in Death (In Death, #24)

Innocent in Death (In Death #24)

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  20,714 Ratings  ·  762 Reviews
New York Lieutenant Eve Dallas doesn't like to see innocent people murdered. And the death of Craig Foster is clearly a murder. He was seemingly ordinary history teacher, but uncovers some extraordinary surprises. Foster's death devastated his young wife, who'd sent him to work that day with a lovingly packed lunch. It shocked his colleagues at the private school, too, and ...more
Published February 20th 2007 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Innocent in Death, please sign up.

Eric Oppen She's smart, and knows how to play people. Give her enough time and she'll likely be out.

Jilly
Aug 08, 2016 Jilly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Points for the best murderer in the series. Creepy and unexpected.

But, the main story in this is the woman who is trying to come between Roarke and Eve. And, she's succeeding. This book has an emotional pull if you have come to know and love this couple - which I have. I was pissed off at Roarke, so it was my first fight with a book boyfriend. I felt bad for Eve, but kept hoping she'd knock that bitch back. But, I also had no doubt that they would come through it.

(view spoiler)
Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~
Although I'm an absolute fan of this series, I'll be the first to admit the majority of the "whodunnits" in the books are relatively easy to figure out before the halfway point. However, Innocent In Death was a nice change. There were so many possible suspects going in so many different directions I was never quite sure who could have killed the innocent Craig Foster. The fact that throughout the story Eve herself couldn't even pinpoint a motive only added to the mystery's mystery!! When I final ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
May 26, 2013 Aly is so frigging bored rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, mistery
1st read 11-16 September 2013

2nd read 9-18 January 2016
The kid is the creepiest one I have ever read.
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
My favorite in the series so far!!

I knew it was that demon!!
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
Roarke vs. Magdalena:"Listen carefully. I'd crush you like a bug for causing my wife one single moment of pain. Believe it. Fear it." ....

Any threat to Eve, whether it be emotional or physical, sure brings out Scary Roarke with a vengenance. Yeah, Roarke was a blind fool at first when it came to Magdalena, but he came to his senses and when he finally saw through Maggie's farce he didn't hold back one bit on his wrath.

Eve vs. Magdalena: I had no doubt Eve would come out swinging, literally. In
Samantha
Feb 08, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Innocent in Death is number 24 of J.D. Robb’s “In Death” series and my introduction to the books.

It’s the year 2060 and lieutenant Eve Dallas has taken a case involving a young teacher’s murder. The case seems like a standard poisoning, but Eve is having trouble building a good list of possible suspects. The young teacher seemed honestly well liked in the community with no real enemies. On the home front, Eve is battling her own insecurities as an old flame from her husband’s, path has suddenly
Jul 08, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
It probably means there's something wrong with me but it was good to see a bit of a shake-up in Eve and Roarke's relationship. The introduction of Magdelena, Roarke's reaction, then Eve's reaction to his, and most of all, Summerset's, somehow...it was just all really, really good. There was some really genuine emotion going on, as usual for her books with these characters. But deeper, sadder, more difficult. For the first half of the book at least, the murder seemed almost a distraction from the ...more
Holly
I decided to re-read this book after a discussion about it on Twitter. This was the last In Death book I really loved. Though I've enjoyed some of her other latest releases, none have touched me as much as this one.

I figured out early in who the killer was the first time I read it, but it was still chilling. While the case was interesting and the direction Robb took us for the killer unique, it was the relationship aspects that really grabbed me.

It's no secret that my favorite books in the serie
Jen
Feb 27, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eve-and-roarke
Eve and Roarke

One of my favorite books in the series. Magdelana was huge pain in the rear and it was painful yet compelling to watch Eve and Roarke stumble their way through her.

I had an idea who the killer was pretty early on but it was still quite chilling to hear the confession at the end. Very sick.
Angela James
This has always been one of my favorite In Death books, because the appearance of Magdalena and the interpersonal tension between Eve and Roarke is totally delicious and full of awesome. The only problem with this book is that Roarke doesn't do NEARLY enough groveling.
Catherine
Oy, that was a tough one. The crime was ick. Love it!
Tina
Mar 05, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery
This is the 24th book of the In Death Series.

The body young idealistic teacher at a tony private school is found by two young students. The hot chocolate that he imbibed daily was found to be poisoned. Eve catches the case and has a very frustrating time trying figure out whodunit.

The wife of the victim, who prepares his lunch (and the offending cup of chocolate) seems the obvious culprit, but Eve has a hard time with the obvious. The school is a hot bed of sex, blackmail, harassment and any nu
Jennifer Wardrip
May 05, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it it was amazing
I've said before that the "...IN DEATH" series by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts) is my all-time favorite series, and after 24 books, that still holds true.

With INNOCENT IN DEATH, I spent as much time crying over the emotional disturbance between my favorite couple, Eve Dallas and Roarke, as I did trying to find out who committed the crimes.

When a likeable, all-around good guy teacher at a private school ends up dead, poisoned by ricin in his hot chocolate, the school is in shock. Eve immediately
Kristen
This series by Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb are great if you like an action/murder/suspense story with just a little hot romance thrown in for good measure.

Eve Dallas is a complex, interesting, but flawed character. A hard as nails homicide cop who is excellent at solving murders, but has a past filled with the ghosts of an abusive childhood.

With Roarke - her sexy as anything, former crook, turned legitimate billionaire husband - helping her out when needed with his "unique" knowledge of cr
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
While the case in this book is a good one with a shocker ending, it's the character relationships that shoot this one to the top of my list of In Death books. When a past love of Roarke's returns to claim the love she left behind 12 years ago, Eve's world is severely rattled. Roarke is blinded by the manipulation of his past girlfriend, & Eve is nearly destroyed after witnessing the look on Roarke's face when he first saw Maggie again...it's the look that he usually only gives to Eve. The he ...more
Lynn Cahoon
Feb 10, 2017 Lynn Cahoon rated it it was amazing
Made me cry. But in a good way.
Caro
Mar 26, 2011 Caro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-death, own
A really good but horrible one. Tough on emotions, personalities, and basic humanity. Pulls you in and doesn't let go. I laughed, held my breath, had a death grip on the book, had a Take that, Woman! moment, was completely stumped then shocked, dismayed, and overly grateful that this case is done with. Another one that won't be forgotten simply due to the nature of the sin and sinner. This had everything and was written so well that I was completely in the book. Gotta love Mavis, some UnSpooky-l ...more
Bakudis
Jun 20, 2012 Bakudis rated it it was amazing

OWW Roarke you make Eve so sad, i feel her heart broke and hurt so much and little bit suprised that Roarke got serious relationship with OW the evil Magdalena (first love) before Eve.

“First, it’s not your concern, and don’t even think about raising that fist to me. This is my doing, her coming here, her causing troubl
Amy
Oct 16, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-death, audiobooks

Probably the best and most gut-wrenching book in the series that I have read to date. The murder plot was fantastic and the personal struggles that Roarke and Eve faced really brought their relationship to a new level. "The look" literally killed me as much as it did Eve. I admit my stomach was in knots and this story brought me to tears more than once. I've never seen Eve so vulnerable and Roarke such a bloody oblivious ass! This story is some of J.D. Robb's best work and there is no better way
Berls (Fantasy is More Fun)
Another great one! I was as thrown as everyone in the story by the killer, and man did that make for a great thread! I also really enjoyed seeing Rourke and Eve struggle a bit - no relationship is perfect and I love that there's isn't. It's just got a lot of love to make it work. Mavis as a mom is just great and so excited about Nadine's show Now - had a great little piece. All the little details just make it great!
Sabrina
Nov 20, 2007 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
This is, to date, the best book of the series. Whereas Born in Death is sort of light-hearted, this book has challenging subject matter. It is a credit to Roberts' writing that her characters are so realistic to me that I cried through a good bit of the middle of the book. Skip some of the other books in the series, but this is one you just do not want to miss.
Polluxa
Dec 09, 2008 Polluxa marked it as to-read
Shelves: e-book
I'm not sure why I keep reading this series. I don't really read romance and the murder mysteries in this series are nothing compared to Doyle's or Christie's. But, damn it, I'm hooked.
Felicia
Jan 20, 2009 Felicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
One of my faves of the series, and that's saying a lot, because I'm medically obsessed with this series!
Eve
Jan 05, 2017 Eve rated it really liked it
Innocent in Death by J.D. Robb
Series: In Death, #24
Suspense > futuristic > romance > mystery

In INNOCENT IN DEATH Eve Dallas has two problems. The first is that she and her partner try to solve a case at the exclusive Sarah Child Academy, where two bright 10-year-old girls discover the body of Craig Foster, a popular history teacher who proves to have been poisoned by ricin-laced cocoa. Eve Dallas wonders if another staff member or a parent might be involved the murder. There seem to be
Connie N.
#24 in the In Death series, narrated by Susan Ericksen

This was one of the most chilling books in this series so far. An "average-joe" teacher in a private school is found poisoned, and Dallas and Peabody need to find out who did it. The "how" turns out to be fairly easy, but the "who" is more difficult and unbelievable. As more bodies start to appear, the case becomes even more urgent. I guessed the murderer, but it didn't take away from the story at all since it was really all about proving it.
Silver James
Innocent in Death (In Death, #24) by J.D. Robb [Edit] 2017 reread/listen as I'm going through the whole series. Thoughts haven't changed much since I listened to this one June/2016.

2016 reread thoughts: Actually, this was a first-time listen as I bought the book in audio. I now have it in hardback, digital, and audio. I came across a discussion of INNOCENT while on-line and that triggered a deep, abiding need to reread it, or in this case, listen. I still got angry with Roarke but the end satisfied, as it always does. As more books come ou
rivka
Apr 07, 2010 rivka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alexis
Dec 04, 2008 Alexis rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of JD Robb or other homicide mystery series
If you've read any book in this series before, you know Lieutenant Eve Dallas is a homicide cop in New York City about fifty years in the future. This time around, Eve has caught a case that seems to have no motive and no suspect. Who would kill a much-loved grade school history teacher? But someone has killed him, and Eve will find out who and why. And while all this is going on, she's dealing with a woman from her husband, Roarke's, past - a woman who actually mattered.

As usual, J.D. Robb/Nor
Penni
I loved this installment of the In Death series. The murder was wicked scary and heartbreaking. As was Roarke's blast from the past ex and the strain that put on Roarke and Eve's relationship.

Roarke was pretty blind in this one to his ex - not like his usual canny self. Eve was undone by this situation, which was unusual for her. As usual, it is great to see their relationship weather any storm.

The crime was one that will stick with me. One of those that no matter what justice is served, it will
Andree
May 02, 2016 Andree rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Well, this was chilling. After reading one of these a week ago, I decided to go for another one, in my sporadic perusal of this series. I kind of wish I hadn't. It's not badly done, not by any means. It hits all the notes it needs to (Roarke and Eve's fight over Roarke's old love interest showing up hit the right notes, and the associated Eve-Mira and Eve-Somerset scenes were a delight). But the killer is kind of, well, chilling. Not unpredictable (totally called it early on, as I am wont to do ...more
J.D. Robb : Innocent in Death (Spoiler Zone) 60 214 Mar 31, 2017 04:53PM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Innocent In Death (Jan. 2015) Spoiler Zone 103 36 Jan 14, 2015 05:41AM
persistence 3 74 May 05, 2014 01:58PM
CASTING CALL: CHA...: August 2012 8 19 Aug 05, 2012 11:37AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.6)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Echoes in Death, on sale February 2017, is the 44th ent ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“No. No, I don't believe you'd betray me with her. I don't believe you'd cheat on me. But I'm afraid, and I'm sick in my heart that you might look at her, then at me. And regret.” 889 likes
“She stepped forward as if to pick up the fur she'd tossed over a chair. Smoothly, she turned to hand it to him. And with perfect timing, flung herself into his arms.

The sable fell as he took her shoulders to shove her back.

Eve stepped to the doorway to see Magdelana with her arms locked around Roarke's neck, his hands on her bare shoulders--one of the ivory straps sliding to her elbow.

"Son of a bitch," she said.

On cue, Magdelana spun around, her face full of passion and shock. "Oh, God. Oh...it's not what it looks like."

"Bet." Eve strode in.

Actually, Roarke thought, it was more of a swagger. He had a moment to admire it, before Eve rammed her fist in his face.

"Fuck me." His head snapped back, and he tasted blood.

Magdelana cried out, but even the deaf would have caught the suppressed laughter in the sound. "Roarke! Oh, my God, you're bleeding. Please, let me just--"

"Don't look now," Eve said cheerfully. "But he's not the only one." She decked Magdelana with a straight-armed jab. "Bitch," Eve added as Magdelana's eyes rolled back and she fell, unconscious, to the floor.

Roarke looked down. "Well, now, fuck us all.”
74 likes