Start by marking “Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple and How It Changed the World” as Want to Read:

In 1984, "The Little Kingdom" told the story of Apple's first decade alongside the histories of Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Now Moritz revisits his classic biography in light of what Apple has become, offering for the first time in paperback the only from the ground up account of Apple's early years.
Published October 1st 2009 by Overlook Press

To ask other readers questions about Return to the Little Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to the Little Kingdom

Sharon
Jul 02, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great revisit to the 70s for me. Not many people know or even remember that Apple sold memory boards during the days of the Home Brew Club movement in now Silicon Valley first in the Byte Shop of Palo Alto and I was the person who sold them. I went to Jobs' family garage and picked them up (and occasionally experienced Jobs and Woz do their relationship thing - at times not a pretty sight) when I had orders -- all part of the emerging small computer world of the 70s. I keep to my ...more
Herve
Nov 02, 2012 Herve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading The Apple Revolution, I discovered Return to the Little Kingdom, subtitled How Apple and Steve Jobs Changed the World. It’s not just another book about Apple for 2 reasons: it was written in 1984 so when Apple, Inc was still Apple Computer, Inc and it was written by Michael Moritz, then a journalist at Time Magazine, but today one of the most famous venture capitalists, with investments in Yahoo and Google, just to mention two, although I must add that he has “a rare medical condit ...more
Nicholas Xifaras
Aug 13, 2014 Nicholas Xifaras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apple started in a garage with the ingenious marketer Jobs along with his brainiac partner, Wozniak. If you want an in-depth synopsis of the book - read this book. My objective is to retell the novel facets this book has offered me.

Not many authors shed light on the primordial stages of a company by actually being there. Moritz started this book the same time the company started; he gives us an insight from literally being there and doesn't have to rely solely on books of the past because he is
David Kopec
Dec 25, 2016 David Kopec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Return to the Little Kingdom is a reprint (with the addition of a short prologue and 2010 epilogue) of the first comprehensive history of Apple Computer, originally published in 1984 as The Little Kingdom. If you have read any later books on Steve Jobs or Apple, it is highly likely that The Little Kingdom served as source material for the later work. It reads as authentic and authoritative. Moritz, who went on to become a famous venture capitalist, had unique insight into the company, since he w ...more
Mark Johnson
Oct 16, 2011 Mark Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book on my Kindle the evening Steve Jobs passed away and found it to be such a bittersweet read with so much that resonated for me. I became an Apple fanboy in the early 80's and was an early adopter of Macintosh technology starting with the 512 Mac. Ten years later an Apple research group discovered the work I was doing with graphics for litigation and hired me to make a commercial aimed at lawyers. I moved to silicon valley in 1993 to marry a marketing director for Apple and got a c ...more
Matt2015
I enjoyed the book but I was genuinely disappointed with it. The book was originally written in the mid 80's and an Epilogue added a few years ago. The title is almost a total misnomer. It is not a biography of Steve Jobs, it is mostly about Apple's early life until the sacking of Jobs. It deals little or nothing with how it changed the world! The epilogue, of about 20 pages, vaguely tracks the interim without Jobs, and the return of Jobs and his impact (in a cursory way). I was given the book a ...more
Charles
Jan 22, 2011 Charles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bccls, nonfiction
The book is not really an updated version. It's the same content as the Little Kingdom except it added Introduction and Epilogue. The story itself is also too outdated. It might have been a fascinating read in the 80's. Besides, if you want to know more about Steve Jobs, you will be disappointed. It focuses too much on how Apple Computer was founded way back in the late 70's.

But it had one of the most memorable quotes on Steve Jobs.

"He was always walking around barefoot. He was one of the frea
Robert Linnemann
This was an entertaining read but the writer lacked technical prowess. The newest version has an extra prologue and epilogue and made some mistakes explaining some things. For example he said the original iPod was based on Unix while the truth is that it was based on bought technology (Portal player) not at all related to unix. He also mentioned that the A4 processor was entirely Apple tech which is actually ARM tech.

It also ended on a horrible note mentioning Woz's US fest which was a total fai
Nic Brisbourne
"This is an interesting history of Apple - two memorable but inconsequential takeaways:
1) Steve Jobs didn't like the name Apple and only went after a long period of failing to come up with a better idea
2) Steve used to relieve his fatigue by massaging his feet in the flush of a toilet bowl..

It is also an interesting story of how some brilliant founders were helped by high quality angels to grow their company through at an almost unbelievable rate, and then how the 'professional' management lost
Yashwanth K
May 27, 2014 Yashwanth K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the success of Apple Inc, its really difficult to find books which look at the company in a realistic manner without succumbing to the aura. this is one such book. it is so because it was written during 1980s and the author is one who followed the company for decades.

Jobs doesnt come off as the wonder kid who could do no wrong. The contribution of Mike Scott and Holt are recognized. Wozniak comes off a little bad at the end of the book.

It would have been better to have named the book "Cre
Lee
Sep 22, 2013 Lee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There wasn't too much detail of the technical innovations for me, but there was too much detail on the marketing and advertising. Switches often between the history leading up to Apple's first computer and the history leading up to the Macintosh, drawing some interesting parallels. On the other hand, the history leading up to the iPod is covered quickly in the epilogue. A surprising amount of profanity for such a book, in the quotes from various participants in the history.
Azmir Ismail
An interesting read on the beginnings of Apple. It does not solely focus on Jobs / Woz, but other characters that contributed to the birth and early going-ons at Apple. I do get the impression that the developments were influenced by the time they were in .. the 70s where there was a lot of going on everywhere around that time in the area where they were. Recommended especially for Apple afficonados, as it shows some parts of the Apple culture that still exists today :)
Tim Telcik
Jun 29, 2014 Tim Telcik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
If you want to learn the origins of Apple and some of the history of Silicon Valley, this is a book worthy of consideration. So many thing happened to raise Apple from the garage to the monster corporation it is today. This book turned up many factoids and nuances lost by other books, including the official Steve Jobs biography. To top it off, Michael Moritz is a good historian and wrote an engaging book.
Solor
May 26, 2012 Solor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apple Computer Inc.; Year Zero. This is a well informed and written story of the origins of one of the most extraordinary story of American Capitalism. The aloof geniuses of the two Steves, Wozniak and Jobs, combine to take a vision from a suburb garage to the whole world and create a brand that is possible the most successful ever.
Beto
Apr 17, 2012 Beto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like to understand how things get started and how they grow. This books gives that insight of the era and the simplicity and naiveness of starting an industry where no rules applied only common sense.

This book also provides answers to some of the questions that the official biography left out. I was surprised how close they where in terms of facts.

It's not dated it's history!
Michael Quinn
Jan 03, 2014 Michael Quinn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learnt a few things about the early days of Apple.

The Apple I wasn't much of a hit at the Homebrew Computer Club.

Steve Jobs wasn't behind every myth in the early days of Apple. The whole management team was probably more involved than Steve.

Lots of other little things. I definitely know more now than when I started this.
Thomas
Oct 16, 2016 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as Jobs by Walter Isaacson, this is a quick biography on Apple.

I enjoyed hearing about the history of the Bay Area prior to Apple and how companies like Lockheed Martin and Fairchild set up shop here, leading to a proliferation of engineers and infrastructure for engineers such as parts stores, hobbyist groups, and high school classes.
Jay Robinson
Apr 05, 2011 Jay Robinson rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jay by: Ed Spencer
This author is rather verbose and sesquipedalian, but I enjoyed the exclusive insights into the world of Apple. This book had the original scoop on folklore stories like those in Pirate of Silicon Valley. Considering I've heard these tall tales again and again, the most interesting fact to me was that Steve Jobs flushes his bare feet in the toilet when he needs to destress. (http://jwr.cc/x/9p)
Ben Scott
Jan 20, 2013 Ben Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
this was an OK book

if you want a good bit of advice

read the part where they are building computers in their garage its cool, the rest is dull its all from the perspective of the author (someone who invests in tech firms)
Janet C.
Jun 05, 2012 Janet C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Janet C. by: n/a
The more I learn about Steve Jobs the more amazed I become. He was an incredibly brilliant individual and the world might not be where it is today technologically speaking if it weren't for his contributions. Another great read for me!
Sean
May 25, 2012 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very nice history of the early days at Apple. Focusing more purely on the company than on Steve Jobs, there are some nice stories in here. Also some very interesting tidbits on how Apple was financed, who its early investors were, etc.
Atila Demirkasımoğlu
Türkçe çevirisi çok başarısız. İş bankasına yakışmamış.
Aneesha
Jun 13, 2012 Aneesha rated it did not like it
I hope it is as interesting as the author claims. This is the most BORING book I have ever read in my life
Harish B
This book is a comprehensive chronicle of the formative years of Apple. The non-linear narrative of the author sometimes make the reading difficult. Interesting but not an easy book to read.
Jeff
Nov 22, 2011 Jeff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't really like this one, it is about how Apple computers was founded and the corporate culture in the 80's (?).
Julie
Dec 13, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-care-for
This book was not what I thought it was be. I was as dry and excting as reading an owner's manual. I didn't even finish it. If you are suffering from insomnia, this would be a great book for you.
Tarik Behlul Karagoz
Çeviriyi başarısız buldum. Hikaye akıcılığından çok şey kaybetmiş. Orijinal dilinde okunsa belki daha başarılı olabilirdi.
Sighthor
Sighthor rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Matti Paksula
Matti Paksula rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
  • Infinite Loop: How Apple, the World's Most Insanely Great Computer Company, Went Insane
  • Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs
  • Apple: The Inside Story of Intrigue, Egomania, and Business Blunders
  • The Second Coming of Steve Jobs
  • Steve Jobs the Journey is the Reward: The Journey is the Reward
  • Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything
  • Apple Confidential 2.0: The Definitive History of the World's Most Colorful Company
  • Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made
  • The Apple Way
  • The Cult of Mac
  • Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry--and Made Himself the Richest Man in America
  • Fromms: How Julius Fromm's Condom Empire Fell to the Nazis
  • The Queen: A Biography of Elizabeth II
  • The Man Behind the Microchip: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley
  • Learn Objective-C on the Mac