Start by marking “The Dancing Floor (Sir Edward Leithen, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dancing Floor (Sir Edward Leithen, #3)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Dancing Floor (Sir Edward Leithen #3)

Vernon Milbourne, orphaned since childhood and haunted by a recurring dream, is friends with the protective lawyer and MP, Sir Edward Leithen. An Aegean cruise takes them to the mysterious island of Plakos, where Vernon is fascinated by the island's myths. Local superstitions turn to menace as Vernon's encounter with a beautiful woman results in obsession and adventure.
Published July 1st 2008 by Classic Books Library (first published January 1st 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Dancing Floor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dancing Floor

Eleanor
Dec 27, 2016 Eleanor rated it it was ok
All pretty wildly improbable, but okay as a holiday read.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
May 04, 2013 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it liked it
Recommended to Jayaprakash by: jayaprakash@gmail.com
Shelves: adventure
This is an expanded version of a short story, first published in 1914, called 'Basilissa'. I've read it in a volume of Buchan's weird fiction published by Penguin Classics, 'The Strange Adventures of Mr. Andrew Hawthorn and other stories'. Edward Leithen, Buchan's barrister/MP protagonist isn't present in the original story, which may explain why his role in this narrative isn't really pivotal so much as that of a fly on the wall, albeit a fly whose paths intersect with those of the main players ...more
Narin
Jan 02, 2017 Narin rated it it was amazing
In an effort to gain some perspective, I spent this Christmas break rereading old favorites. Incidentally, the first time I read John Buchan's The Dancing Floor, in 2010, was also during a Christmas break. At the time, the story of Vernon, Kore, and Leithen comforted me. An attempt at re-experiencing those feelings and thoughts drew me back to this book.

Though I read this book with different - older - eyes than I did the first time around, my hope of comfort was not disappointed. John Buchan wri
dragonhelmuk
Jun 01, 2012 dragonhelmuk rated it really liked it
Suzannah
Oct 23, 2012 Suzannah rated it it was amazing
This re-read was long overdue, and just as with the Austen books I've been re-reading lately, The Dancing Floor seemed almost a different book, with so much more to enjoy and digest in it than I remember.

The story, narrated by Sir Edward Leithen, a respected barrister, follows his friendships with two very different people and the peculiar, terrifying scenes they end up dragging him into. Vernon Milburne is still in his teens when Leithen meets him and is immediately struck by his unusual qualit
Kylie W
Oct 06, 2008 Kylie W rated it liked it
I picked this up in a dusty little second hand bookshop at some point expecting it to be a nice light historical romance. It was a delightful surprise to find something really interesting and quite dark (not that I don't love historical romance).

Some parts of the story line left me a bit cold, and the narrative voice was a bit detached for my taste, but it had one amazing theme...

Spoiler alert!

One of the central characters has this recurring dream of lying in his bed in his bedroom. There is a
Rog Harrison
Apr 07, 2014 Rog Harrison rated it it was ok
This was originally published in 1926. Although I like the character of Sir Edward Leithen I struggled a bit with this and kept putting it down. The book starts slowly while the author introduces two characters who play a major part in this book. A young man who is haunted by a recurring dream which occurs once a year on the same date and a young woman who seems somewhat eccentric and other-worldly. The story then turns into a sort of gothic horror story where superstitious villagers want to mak ...more
Chris Chinchilla
Apr 19, 2014 Chris Chinchilla rated it liked it

Vernon Milbourne, orphaned since childhood and haunted by a recurring dream, is friends with the protective lawyer and MP Sir Edward Leithen.

Daniel Etherington
A bit of a disjointed read, with the middle section sagging heavily. But as ever with Buchan an interesting portrait of the era - before and after WWI - and class. This one also gets into the whole issue of the clash between Christianity and pre-Christian, pagan beliefs, and how they're conflated with matters of "evil", "witchcraft", "devils" etc. Hence the intro by Wicker Man director Robin Hardy, which provides a solid discussion and context.
Jamie Cain
May 06, 2014 Jamie Cain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, really enjoyed this novel. Despite Buchan's stereotyping at times, such a powerful story of Christianity vs. paganism.
Madison
Aug 02, 2015 Madison rated it it was ok
Weird story plot but nice writing style.
Polly
Eerie and quite beautiful at moments, this is one of Buchan's best books.
Mark
Jun 27, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
One of Buchan's best! This book is mystic in nature combined with action and a great plot. This would make a superb movie.
Adam
Apr 17, 2015 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
A good yarn well spun, reflecting on the relationship between Christianity and its pagan forebears. Set in the Greek islands which is a pleasure in itself.
Anne Dart
Jul 08, 2013 Anne Dart rated it really liked it
What superstition can do to people! Quite an adventure. I enjoyed this book.
Dougie Morgan
Dougie Morgan rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2009
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
May 08, 2012
Mick Scheinin
Mick Scheinin rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Archie
Archie rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2011
William J. Macdonald
William J. Macdonald rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Megan Bailey
Megan Bailey rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Robert Naysmith
Robert Naysmith rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Rosie
Rosie rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2008
Ringer
Ringer rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2012
Laura Brooks
Laura Brooks rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Cover 2 12 Nov 02, 2015 06:08AM
  • All in One Basket
  • Sergeant Lamb's America
  • My Outdoor Life
  • Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition)
  • Oswald Bastable and Others (Bastable Children, #4)
  • On the Shores of the Mediterranean
  • 100 Great Breads
  • The Siberians
  • By Permission of Heaven: The True Story of the Great Fire of London
  • A Postillion Struck by Lightning
  • The Brethren
  • The Sense of Order (Wrightsman Lectures 9)
  • Le salaire de la peur
  • End of the Earth: Voyaging to Antarctica
  • Eothen
  • The Persian Bride
  • An Academic Question
  • The Silver Locomotive Mystery (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #6)
John Buchan (1st Baron Tweedsmuir) was a Scottish novelist and public servant who combined a successful career as an author of thrillers, historical novels, histories and biographies with a parallel career in public life. At the time of his death he was Governor-General of Canada.

Buchan was educated at Glasgow and Oxford Universities. After a brief career in law he went to South Africa in 1902 wh
More about John Buchan...

Sir Edward Leithen (5 books)
  • The Power House (Sir Edward Leithen, #1)
  • John Macnab (Sir Edward Leithen, #2)
  • The Gap in the Curtain (Sir Edward Leithen #4)
  • Sick Heart River (Sir Edward Leithen, #5)