Start by marking “Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades” as Want to Read:
Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades

Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  1,433 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
If you have ever wondered how to teach comprehension strategies to primary-age children, read on.

First, imagine a primary-grade classroom where all the children are engaged and motivated; where the buzz of excited, emerging readers fills the air; where simultaneously words are sounded out and connections are made between the books of their choice and the experiences of the
Published January 1st 2002 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Reading with Meaning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading with Meaning

Alison Condliffe
Feb 19, 2015 Alison Condliffe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-books
I love this book and writer. Dipping into this book is like talking to a trusted colleague who always shares great ideas. Feel inspired and renewed each time I read this.
Angela
Apr 28, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to be Debbie Miller when I grow up. This second edition of Reading with Meaning is so relevant to education today. While I consult my original copy constantly, it was nice to reread the book with Debbie's updated ideas on reader's workshop. I recommend to all teachers everywhere.
Mandy Robek
Dec 30, 2014 Mandy Robek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the changes in this second edition providing more insight to Debbie's unit plans. She's shared with readers big questions, possible targets and things to think about to plan more effectively. Lots of mentor text suggestions!
Marianne
Sep 11, 2010 Marianne rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite professional development book. I've read it so much the pages are falling out. I love the theories and activities. They all revolve around a calm, meaningful classroom in which children are engaged in learning.
Jen
Dec 27, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education-books
Amazing book that I plan to read repeatedly during my years teaching.
Jill
Jul 24, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: primary teachers
Recommended to Jill by: Donalyn
This book SERIOUSLY rocked my world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After I read The Book Whisperer, I was inspired to throw out my basal (which my principal JUST ordered) and do my reading instruction just like she does. But I was wondering how I could do this in a primary classroom, since Donalyn Miller teaches sixth grade. So, when a teacher blog set up a read-along of the Book Whisperer, I loosely followed along, and that's where I found that Donalyn Miller would answer bloggers' questions if they sub
Jenny
Mar 05, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
From Amazon...
Here you will learn:

techniques for modeling thinking;
specific examples of modeled strategy lessons for inferring, asking questions, making connections, determining importance in text, creating mental images, and synthesizing information;
how to help children make their thinking visible through oral, written, artistic, and dramatic responses to literature;
how to successfully develop book clubs as a way for children to share their thinking.

Reading with Meaning shows you how to bri
Stevie
May 17, 2016 Stevie rated it liked it
Shelves: book-lists
Funny how nothing ever goes wrong in these text books. They have perfect ideas and all of the students are so bright and try so very hard. It seems like there would be at least one student that would not want to go along with these wonderful ideas. Maybe those kids get edited out. I want to read a book about those kids.
Natalie
Jul 26, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
This book will definitely change my reading instruction next year. The title is perfect - the book is full of ways to place reading in a meaningful context for children. It reminds me of what is important in reading instruction, with getting the kids reading as top priority.
Emyjokep
Sep 17, 2014 Emyjokep rated it it was amazing
I read this as part of my required reading for an undergraduate elementary ed degree class. It was fabulous and one I have held onto through the years both for its ease of reading and the wonderful examples and lists throughout the book!
Danette
Feb 17, 2010 Danette rated it really liked it
This book has some really great ideas for mini lessons when teaching Reading Comprehension. Concrete examples help the newer teacher like myself.

It isn't the only reading book you should purchase if you are a new teacher but it is a helpful one. Other reading books that are incredibly helpful are The Book Whispererby Donalyn Miller, The Daily Five by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser, and Growing Readers: Units of study in the Primary Classroom by Kathy Collins

These 3 books will shape your reading cu
Kowanda Richardson
Mar 06, 2016 Kowanda Richardson rated it it was amazing
Great book with lessons and ideas for teaching comprehension. There is a newer version that would have updated lists of books to read. I read this one quite a few years ago and am so glad I reread it!
Kimberly
Jul 08, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This to me is my "Bible", if you would, from the very first day that I begin setting up my Second Grade classroom. Debbie Miller invites you into her own class, and takes you on an amazing journey, as she teaches her primary students the seven keys to comprehension. She is absolutely an outstanding author, so engaging, and her lessons and books that she chooses as mentor texts just incredible. A truly worthwhile read ... and extremely enjoyable one, at that. You will love it!
Oct 24, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
Debbie Miller's disarming writing style makes you feel as if you're dialoguing with her about teaching reading in an elementary setting - the book nearly vanishes and there you are, sipping a cup of coffee and listening to Miller respond (patiently!) to your myriad questions. Throughout the text she takes the reader with her, through teaching hiccups and tough lessons learned, and anticipates every question you have. It's easy to see she's a realistic idealist, someone who has high expectations ...more
Amanda Kaye
Nov 28, 2013 Amanda Kaye rated it it was amazing
What a great book to read when teaching reading! Reading is more than just phonics and fluency. So often the comprehension part of reading is over looked and under taught. Debbie Miller does a fantastic job at explaining through classroom examples of how even the youngest students can use connections, schema, predictions, questioning, inferences, and synthesizing through out their reading and life.

Her approach to "Reader's Workshop" is wonderful and straightforward. I had no problem reading thi
Jen Munnerlyn
Sep 09, 2009 Jen Munnerlyn is currently reading it
Shelves: reading, acs-library
This is one of those books that seemed to have disappeared from school. Everyone says we had it, but I can't find it. It is on order for next year. Any hints, tips for using it as a PD tool would be welcome.

From Carrie E: A great book to help teachers help to understand how to be more explicit with comprehension strategies. One point to not get stuck in is her model of teaching a comprehension strategy a month. Many other experts in the field would suggest that teaching comprehension strategies
Debbie
Jul 02, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Great resource for primary classroom teachers, especially helpful lessons that can be used to model reading strategies with students.
Bonnie
Jan 27, 2016 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Favorite teaching book! I read this each year for school and learn something new every time!
Blake
Jun 05, 2016 Blake rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary
Christina Davis recommends this book for teaching reading comprehension.
Megan
Jul 29, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
I bought this book over the summer for another one of my master's classs. It is a must have resource for any lower elementary teacher. Debbie Miller does an outstanding job of teaching you about how to implement explicit reading instruction in your classroom. She begins with how she lays out the beginning of the school year and takes you all the way through June. There are wonderful examples of students work and of Miller modeling various ideas and strategies. I plan on using this resource to be ...more
Paula Gebhardt
Nov 15, 2014 Paula Gebhardt rated it it was amazing
Excellent read for all teachers.
Nancy Parisi
Oct 30, 2014 Diana Pettis rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.
Sara
Jul 21, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it
This book is a quick read but really thought- provoking and overflowing with good ideas. I am so excited to put some of this to use in my classroom. She gives really good tips on how to cultivate a calm, child- centered classroom environment. I wish her strategies were illustrated a little more by providing examples of children who really struggle with literacy and how they perform/ progress within her framework as opposed to mainly giving examples of those who excel.
Gariann Jacobs
Great resource!! Love the graphic organizer examples on evoking vivid mental images in their writing, making connections, questioning charts, questioning webs, and more. Making predictions about text. Sticky notes to share on page 110. Making inferences easier for them by providing them with experiences and them being able to say "Inferring is thinking about waht's going to happen in the future". These graphic organizers show evidence of their LEARNING!!!!
Julie
Feb 20, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book. Debbie Miller's writing makes me want to jump up and run to my Media Center to try out her teaching strategies. She has a warm and descriptive way of writing that makes it so easy to visualize her classroom and makes me wish I could be there! She has some great ideas for teaching reading comprehension. The only thing is, it's a whole lot at once. It'll take some re-reading for it to all sink in.
Anita
Jan 20, 2012 Anita rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Primary Teachers, Principals, Intermediate Teachers could even tweak it a bit
Recommended to Anita by: 2nd Grade Teacher I work with
I moved from 4th to 3rd grade last year and had to relearn reading. I did not like what I did, so I read a book recommended by the 2nd grade teacher. It revolutionized my teaching for language arts. Love the way she teaches active reading strategies and makes them so organically part of the classroom routine. Now my kids come to me loving to read and they continue that love in my class. Amazing!
Marianna
Jan 15, 2010 Marianna rated it liked it
I think was one of the texts for a class I took while working on my reading courses. Although, I currently work with intermediate to middle grades in reading, there were ideas there that can be formed to use in all grades. Gave a good look at what the primary grades are doing to evolve into a reader.
Sharon
Jan 25, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Debbie's book changed the way I thought about teaching primary students to read. Instead of thinking of beginning readers as simply decoders, she invited me to open up space for my young students to think and engage deeply in books. Every primary reading teacher should read this book.
Reading with Meaning: Second Edition 1 3 Mar 23, 2013 11:42AM
  • The Daily Five
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Craft Lessons
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • Wondrous Words: Writers and Writing in the Elementary Classroom
  • On Solid Ground: Strategies for Teaching Reading K-3
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • Choice Words: How Our Language Affects Children's Learning
  • Spaces & Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers

“No one has a patent on the truth. Find yours.” 3 likes