Start by marking “Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies” as Want to Read:
Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies

Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,007 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In Purpose, world-renowned thought leader Nikos Mourkogiannis turns the entire idea of leadership on its head and shows that the choice between values and success is no choice at all. Mourkogiannis argues that companies must satisfy the need for purpose--a set of values that defines an organization and inspires and motivates its employees. Rather than organization and stru ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade

To ask other readers questions about Purpose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purpose

Ben
If you are on the verge of discovering who you are or are thinking to yourself "my life needs meaning", this might be a good place to start. The book starts describing examples of three types of purposeful lives in the business world and their type of purpose. The last half of the book discusses more details as well as how to discover your purpose. Mine is "Excellence". Now I need to apply all of my focus and effort to execute on that.
David
Nov 22, 2014 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Leadership, mamagers
Recommended to David by: Thomas K Wentz
Purpose is an importantant element for any company to become a great company. Mourkogiannis has done a good job to help understand the Purpose.
Evan
Spent an hour with Nikos. Very insightful businessman. He signed my book.
Marc Brackett
I think that I've read to many of the books in this genre. Had this been the first book I read in this particular genre no doubt I would have been far more impressed. At this point the stories are all well known to me.

I also didn't find the categories or means by which the author sorted businesses to be of great value. The system being used was to rigid and not in touch with how business actually works in the real world. Just picking one or four across several categories is not realistic, a bet
Phil Lamb
What is the purpose of your business? Mourkogiannis identifies the four major types of purpose--discovery, excellence, altruism and heroism. I really liked the examples of Sam Walton, Warburg and Ford Motor.
It also opened my thinking as to the purpose of any company. The read teaches that we have different motives and nothing is wrong with that as long as we know which category we fall under.
Great book!
Michael Macey
Michael Macey marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Ryan Cross
Ryan Cross marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Alale Daniel
Alale Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Rafael Buzon
Rafael Buzon marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Nick Matthew
Nick Matthew marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Amr
Amr marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Tina Kuo
Tina Kuo marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Nodumo Silimela
Nodumo Silimela marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Robera
Robera marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepeneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less