Start by marking “Far From Home” as Want to Read:
Far From Home

Far From Home

His plots are ingenious - Time Out

This long-overdue collection of Walter Tevis' s best short stories proves him to be a master of the form. they range from the ingenuity of The Other End of the Line, in which a man receives a phone call from himself in the future and follows the instructions he is given with unexpected and disastrous results, to the sophistication of Rent
Published September 21st 1984 by Corgi Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Far From Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far From Home

Deborah Sheldon
Apr 28, 2017 Deborah Sheldon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apart from the incest-themed stories, which were a little too ick, I enjoyed the collection. Tevis uses humour so delicately and well in his science fiction. In particular, "Out of Luck" was a gem; its sense of increasing paranoia and claustrophobia reads like the perfect Twilight Zone story.
Aaron
Feb 05, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contains two of the absolutely grossest stories I have ever read, both dealing with the same creepy awful subject. Unfortunately Tevis wrote like a friggin dream and I can't help but love this entire collection, even though those two stories are making me retch a little because I have to think about them while I write this.

The 2nd half of the collection contains stories from his early career(mostly fun tales centered around a goofy hard science idea)and don't deliver the same emotional whallop o
Pedro
Jan 01, 2013 Pedro rated it really liked it
Colecção Ficção Científica da Caminho Editora
TrumanCoyote
Oct 13, 2012 TrumanCoyote rated it it was ok
Contains two quite good stories: "Rent Control," which is nicely snide, and "The Ifth of Oofth." In general the early stories are preferable to the later ones. All that stuff about incest and whatnot grew tiresome quickly, especially the two stories back to back that were specifically about it. Also contains some well-worn retreads..."Echo" is a pretty cornball idea, and "The Goldbrick" rather resembles (if I'm remembering right) "The Beast" by A E Van Vogt. The funny thing is, I'd thought that ...more
Jon Butterfield
All over the place. Some stories were interesting - a man's obsession with his girl's ex makes every person turn into that ex, etc. and some were just wrong and horribly disturbing - stories of Oedipal fantasies, for instance really aren't my thing.... Tevis excelled at using surreal plots to study human nature through a fresh paradigm, and this book is full of examples of this. As a whole, I don't really reccomend the book unless you just can't get enough Tevis - it's pretty raw stuff comparati ...more
Dave Butler
Nov 23, 2015 Dave Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final volume of my complete Tevis read, An excellent collection of short stories, some old favorites from the novels appear, and many of the themes and elements from most Tevis books are present. (chess, oedipal issues, disease and loneliness, etc.) Many stories feature clever SF ideas and twists which are always fun, there is even a devil vs. lazy hedonistic writer grace note at the end. Tevis deserves more acclaim, i wish someone would make a proper production of Mockingbird.
Brian Stillman
There's a twofer story: "A Visit From Mother" and "Daddy" that is unbelievably twisted. "Daddy" could be kept out of the collection and "...Mother" would gain significant oomph. Intimations of incest aren't edgy enough for the story. It's ghosts and shape shifting ghosts at that, but still so unnerving.

"Echo" is pretty daunting, too.

And the title story might be the best short story I have ever read.

Lisa F
Apr 18, 2015 Lisa F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i rescued this collection from my childhood stash of books and reread it with delight, one story at a time. rent control had been the stand out for me all those years before at least in part because of the idea of time control. the reread yielded so many delights that i doubt i could have understand when i first read this as a teen. tevis was clearly a man in therapy and seeing a writer work through his own demons so visibly in a fantasy format was thoroughly engaging.
Pamela
Oct 20, 2014 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very uneven collection. The earlier stories are very good, some of them border on being great. The last third or so, not so much. Very not so much.
Kelly Livesay
May 23, 2011 Kelly Livesay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. disturbing.
Ademption
The earlier (i.e. Far from Home) stories are better, though a bit formulaic. The later (i.e. Closer to Home) stories are more discursive and not good.
Steven Drachman
Sep 16, 2012 Steven Drachman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like his whole career, the early stuff is great, the later stuff is awful. But 4 stars because of the astonishing brilliance Of his early writing.
Betty O
Hands down my favorite collection of short stories. Out of print, but worht searching for. I love a story that makes me somehow a little uncomfortable and Tevis is a master.
Manuel
Manuel rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2008
Mingewizzard
Mingewizzard rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
New Texture
New Texture rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2011
Rex Cherry
Rex Cherry rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Prairiewillow
Prairiewillow rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Portersson
Portersson rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Bernard
Bernard rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2017
Susan Kenneally
Susan Kenneally rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2016
Francois Coetzee
Francois Coetzee rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2015
Garett Ratliff
Garett Ratliff rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Michelle (Shelley)
Michelle (Shelley) rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Darius
Darius rated it it was ok
Dec 03, 2007
James
James rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2017
Jason Major
Jason Major rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Konrad Lenz
Konrad Lenz rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Walter Stone Tevis was an American novelist and short story writer. Three of his six novels were adapted into major films: The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth. His books have been translated into at least 18 languages.
More about Walter Tevis...