Start by marking “Concrete Volume 4: Killer Smile” as Want to Read:
Concrete Volume 4: Killer Smile

Concrete Volume 4: Killer Smile (Concrete #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  9 reviews
All Larry Munro wanted was a tank of gas. What he got was a gun pointed at his head. Now he's being forced to play chauffeur to a pyromaniac looking to burn L.A. to the ground! Can Concrete race fast enough to stop the bullet aimed at his best friend?
Published March 28th 2006 by Dark Horse (first published October 15th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Concrete Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Concrete Volume 4

Nicolo Yu
I’ve never tried Paul Chadwick’s Concrete before, although I’ve read excellent reviews on it. So it was an easy choice to sample one when a random volume came out on top of a pile of manga in a bargain bookstore. It was easy why at first glance it could be mistaken for a manga title. It was a smaller than a regular comics trade paperback and flipping the pages would only yield black and white art. It is as different from manga as freshly squeezed orange juice is from the sugary flavored water pa ...more
Sarah Beaudoin
Mar 14, 2009 Sarah Beaudoin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Dave
Shelves: comics
Concrete:Killer Smile was enjoyable but I felt like it was much more a sketch than Fragile Creatures. The narration centers around Larry, who is abducted by a pair of criminals while at a gas station. I'm not particularly attracted to Larry as a character, but this did provide Chadwick with an opportunity to create two surprisingly sympathetic criminal characters. I loved the glimpses of their backgrounds that Chadwick intersperses in the story. Furthermore, this does serve to highlight the loya ...more
Molly
This was darker than I anticipated. Not neccessarily a bad thing, but not what I was expecting. Also, this was my introduction to the series- I don't know if it's the comic for me.
Summer
This is probably my least favorite of the Concrete collected works. While Paul Chadwick does write a good story, and his artwork is top-notch as usual, the main narrative in this one just didn't interest me very much, and the climax is just kind of bizarre. This is not to say that it's bad, just that Chadwick can do so much better.
matt
A straight up action/crime drama from an excellent storyteller. Because it is Paul Chadwick -- it is more than just an adventure - it also offers insights into the human condition, and thought provoking situations that will stay with you long after you have finished reading this.
Michael
This is an intense volume that the characters never really recover from. Even Frank Miller sings its praises (although I seriously doubt he would enjoy the entirety of Concrete).
Matt Piechocinski
Solid story telling ... I really like Chadwick's horror anthology at the end of this volume.
Tim
My favorite of the series so far. Chadwick is in complete control here, great stuff.
Mike Collins
My favorite of the Concrete series. Also one of the first comics I ever read.
Rick Fortin
Rick Fortin marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Mat
Mat marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
A David
A David marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Joy Floetic
Joy Floetic marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
  • X-Factor: Heart Of Ice
  • Omega the Unknown
  • Gotham Central, Book Three: On the Freak Beat
  • The Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot

Paul Chadwick (b.1957) has worked widely as an artist and writer for comic books, with collaborators like Ron Randall, Doug Wheatley, Alan Moore, John Bolton, Harlan Ellison, Jan Strnad, Randy Stradley, Archie Goodwin, Brian K. Vaughan, and others.

He's most noted for his award-winning series Concrete, about a thoughtful man stuck in a brutish, rock-coated body. Born in Seattle, he grew up in its
More about Paul Chadwick...

Concrete (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Concrete Volume 1: Depths
  • Concrete Volume 2: Heights
  • Concrete Volume 3: Fragile Creature
  • Concrete Volume 5: Think Like A Mountain
  • Concrete Volume 6: Strange Armor (Concrete (Graphic Novels))
  • Complete Concrete
  • Concrete: The Human Dilemma (Intl)
  • Concrete: The Complete Short Stories, 1986-1989
  • Concrete: The Complete Short Stories, 1990-1995
  • Concrete, Odd Jobs
Complete Concrete Concrete Volume 1: Depths Concrete Volume 3: Fragile Creature Concrete Volume 2: Heights Darklighter (Star Wars: Empire, #2)