Crogan's March (Crogan's Adventures)

Crogan's March (Crogan Adventures #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  25 reviews
When Legionnaire Peter Crogan loses a friend to a violent sand storm, he is forced to confront some hard questions. Should he wait out the rapidly approaching end of his five-year term of service with the French Foreign Legion, or should he accept an offer of promotion and devote his life to a campaign whose purpose is an enigma to him?
Published February 3rd 2010 by Oni Press (first published 2010)

Ampion
I really like books like this. They reveal the characters while revealing just enough backstory for you to feel like you know their personalities while not really revealing anything at all. For the most part, it was a really funny book, but it still managed to put in some thought provoking, serious moments that were absolutely beautiful. For most of the book, I thought it was all fun and games with a copious use of the unreliable narrator technique. However, the ending of the book is serious and...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series. This was a Cybils '10 nominee and as a panelist for Graphic Novels was required reading for me. The panelists did not receive a review copy from the publisher and like most other panelists, I, unfortunately, was unable to find a copy before our nominations were due. My copy from Interlibrary Loan request had just now come in.

Set within the framework of the modern day Crogan family, the father tells the patriarchal story of a fellow Crogan ancestor from the...more
Khairul H.
I prefer this one to the first Crogan book because this seemed more topical to me. Peter Crogan is a member of the French Foreign Legion and part of the occupying force in French North Africa; though his sergeant insists that they are "peacekeepers". The story moves along at an action-movie pace with hardly any room for the reader to catch his breath (I really feel the Crogan books would resonate more with boys/men). What's the moral in this second volume? Something about differing opinions with...more
Wayne
I don't know how historically accurate this book is, but it give you a pretty good idea about what the French Foreign Legion was all about. I remember a couple movies from when I was a kid, but what stands out the most in my memory is an old Laurel and Hardy movie. The story flows from the present time as a father recounts a story of one of his ancestors. Peter Crogan was a corporal in the legion, in the last of his 5 year term. Personally, the art is not quite my cup of tea. Not that it's bad,...more
Rosa
Two children fight because an older brother has stopped a younger brother from buying a sweet. The older brother swears it's because he wouldn't have liked it. Their dad tells them a story about a relative in the French Foreign Legion as a way of making them think about whether it's okay for one person (country) to tell another what to do just because they think they know better.

Throughout Peter Crogan's story you can see the problems caused by one country running another, but it isn't really th...more
Nicole
I didn't enjoy this as much as the first volume (about pirates), but still an interesting tale...
Bryson Kopf
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this volume of Crogan, but I didn't quite dig it as much as Vengeance. This tale features a member of the French Foreign Legion who finds lots of action and another difficult moral quandary. I was impressed that Schweizer went for a bit more of a downbeat ending which made it feel believable (in comparison to the first volume I guess). Anyway, I know that I am damning it with faint praise, but I am eagerly looking forward to more Crogan, and Schweizer's art i...more
Reader
Now that's more like it! In this series we see several members of the Crogan family tree as they make their way through the world. This particular Crogan has joined the foreign legion, an organization that I am ashamed to admit, I'd never really understood before. Now all is clear! Schweizer does a fantastic job of explaining the legion, the problems that come with occupying a country that does not want to be occupied, and all that jazz. The art is great, the story even better. Two thumbs way wa...more
Erin Kelly
Jan 07, 2011 Erin Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle grade and up
Shelves: library
I loved this volume of the Crogan Adventures! While Crogan's Vengeance didn't teach me much, since I have a pretty good working knowledge of pirates and no memory about the moral of the story, Crogan's March, focusing on a member of the French Foreign Legion brought a new location into my head along with a thoughtful discussion about our perceptions about other people and how our actions affect them. Schweizer absolutely upped the ante in this book and I cannot wait for the next volume (American...more
Ryan Haupt
First off, the concept behind this series is fantastic. It allows Schweizer to tell many different genre tales all connected within this one family. Looking that family tree alone is just a ton of fun.

Don't be fooled by the cartooning (which is wonderful regardless) for this is not a kid's book. It could certainly be read with kids, but the themes are adult and well fleshed out without ever getting preachy. This well-told tales are completely engrossing and I eagerly await volume 3.
Matthew
Schweizer is a great cartoonist in that he really knows how to tell a story through his artwork. I wasn't especially grabbed by the story here, though. There some adventure, some gags but I felt pretty much the whole way through like I was missing out on some key part of the story. this is 2nd in series and I haven't read the first, so perhaps it would be better if I went back and read the first volume.
Frank
A fun read. Definitely targeted at young readers, but not cutesy (aside from the frame of the tale) or dondescending (if atad bit preachy). The art was engaging as was the dialogue and the main characcter. Recommended for young readers and I'll try another voulme of the series.

Besides, it a shame no one talks about the Foreign Legion anymore...
Nancy
Inkwork has improved much. The pages look more polished and crisp than the first volume.
Beautifully rendered and an engaging story that ties in well with the overall theme the present day Crogan ties to his sons' dilemma of loyalty and doing what's right.
Brittney Newton
well this book was very boring because i have already finished the book ab i still do not understand the moral of the story i would not recommend this book to anyone who doesn't like HISTORY And who also doesn't like a book without a good ending . !
Rad
I don't think I have anything to add on this series. It's really good! Chock full of action! With caricature-like cartoony style! And historic (sort of)! What are you waiting for? Go read it!

PS - The ending? MY GOD!

PSS - GO READ IT
Patty
A graphic novel with a history lesson inside. A great way to learn something about the French Foreign Legion and have fun doing it. I have been inspired to track down others in this series.
Alec Longstreth
Another great installment of the Crogan's Adventures! I can't wait for the next one. I think this series is going to get better and better with each new book.
Steve
Love the Crogan series. Each book set in a different historical era. High drama and adventure, definitely worth a read.
Sylvester
Great adventure and art. Liked the idea of a dad telling his kids stories about their ancestor.
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how love is great and worth to die for
Anna Kim
Check out my review for Crogan's Vengeance by the same author.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Crogan's Vengeance Crogan's Loyalty Tricky Coyote Tales (Tricky Journeys, #1) Tricky Rabbit Tales (Tricky Journeys, #2) Tricky Fox Tales (Tricky Journeys, #3)