Start by marking “The Seafarer” as Want to Read:
The Seafarer

The Seafarer

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  25 reviews
“Conor McPherson, who [turned] 35 in August, is one of the genuine treasures of the English-language theatre. It is absolutely intoxicating to ponder what he will give us in the future.”—Irish Echo

“The unique and extraordinary aspect of McPherson’s writing is the way in which his characters reveal themselves in tiny details which almost imperceptibly build up an extensive
Published August 1st 2007 by Theatre Communications Group (first published January 29th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Seafarer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seafarer

Hamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareA Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
Best Plays Ever
125th out of 532 books — 671 voters
Angels in America by Tony KushnerAugust by Tracy LettsArcadia by Tom StoppardThe Pillowman by Martin McDonaghThe History Boys by Alan Bennett
Best Plays Since 1990
50th out of 124 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Christmas Eve in Baldoyle, five men play cards. Person histories are touched on, the disappointments of lives are mourned, poteen is drank, and shite is yacked. Oh, and one of these men is the devil who has come to collect a soul.

In case I haven't said it yet: my goodness I love McPherson! He is a master of speech and storytelling. In all his plays he touches upon the realities of life and how it compares to what we hoped it to be, and a good deal of his work utilizes folklore and superstitions
Steven Laverty
The first play I've read in a long time didn't disappoint.

Set in Dublin, The Seafarer is a ruggedly charming mx of the mundane and the magical. The engaging plot becomes increasingly exciting and ties together a bunch of lively, robust characters. The play has a strong sense of identity but flexible enough to excite a creative director, whilst the lyrical dialogue blends base colloquialisms with the subtlety profound.

Dangerous, hilarious and,above all, thoroughly memorable.

Think O'Casey mixed w
Frederick
Dec 27, 2007 Frederick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers of Joyce, Eugene O'Neill's Audience
Shelves: plays, mcpherson
I saw this play performed last night (December 26th, 2007) at the Booth Theatre in New York.
So, if listening to an audio-book doesn't count as reading, then, having seen the play without actually reading the book of the script, I haven't read this book. But does reading a play count as experiencing what the playwright intended? I think seeing a play is, indeed, a legitimate way of absorbing it.
I imbibed this play!
It's two parts O'Neill, one part Joyce and as marvelous a touch of the poet as ha
Tom Romig
Few playwrights can so convincingly create unique, compelling characters. Though the point of a play is performance, McPherson's works actually read quite well. He's a master at creating mood, at melding supernatural elements into the quotidian in a completely convincing way. I've seen The Birds (yes, it's based on the same Daphne du Maurier story that the Hitchcock movie is based on) and Shining City and am looking forward to seeing The Veil, which will be performed in DC in the spring.
Matt Allen
James Rose
The play is a beautiful interpretation of a theme that runs deeply through European story telling. The set is perfectly constructed to demonstrate the subtle and overt connotations of the play. The dialogue begins with very choppy language typical of the vernacular, but as the play progresses, and the characters become more intoxicated, their statements begin to gain confidence. One of my observations was the deep connection to Irish mythology in the play; it related to one play in particular. S ...more
Jeff
Another in the current wave of Irish plays so popular in America. McPherson, author of "The Weir," creates another well-written, realistic series of conversations amongst working-class Irish people. Though the conversations here are absorbing, and there is one terrific surprise, the play ultimately adds up to little that the reader or audience member will remember the next day. The theme seems to be, "There's a lot of living to do, so best get to it." "Bye, Bye Birdie" said the same thing, only ...more
Ayne Ray
Irish playwright McPherson crafts a unique tale involving a crew of down-and-out Dubliners who gather together one Christmas Eve for a boozy, bleary eyed evening of cards and blarney. The evening takes an unexpected and surreal twist when "Sharky" Harkin, a rough ex-fisherman, is unexpectedly confronted by the oddly familiar stranger Mr. Lockhart, who reminds him of a previous bet they made in jail. Suddenly, Sharky finds himself playing a game of cards where the stake is his soul. Wonderfully a ...more
Jenny
Oct 29, 2009 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jenny by: Donald's Play
John Rutledge
Outstanding, brilliant, and twisted. This book follows broken brothers and friends through what looks to be a dark and darkly-comedic Christmas and it ends with a hopeful message for even the most hopeless.

The play is by no means a children's play, but it is an outstanding play nonetheless and absolutely worth seeing if there's a company who can pull it off. Not all can...
Jeff
Another home run from McPherson, as he spins a Christmas Eve fable about cards, drinking, Faustian bargains, and possible redemption. Like The Weir, this is deeply authentic and creeps up on you slowly, with a last-minute twist that would be ridiculous if not so deeply earned.
Jack
Who ever heard of an Irish play loaded with washed up drunks getting by on their wits and their will to stay drunk? Oh, me too! Here's another one where the writing is fine but the import falls short of, for example, a Martin McDonough play.
Tyler Crumrine
Irish playwriting at its finest. Like the devil comes down to Georgia but with cards instead of fiddles and liquor instead of Georgia. The second act is especially to die for. My favorite McPherson yet.
Brendan Cheney
I don't know if I would have liked reading it as much if I hadn't seen the play performed first. Even so, it is a great play. And it feels very Irish - full of drinking, cursing and a lot of heart.
Danna
I'd really love to see this play performed now, or at least listen to a full-cast recording. Great sense of place, engaging characters, a Faustian element... good stuff!
Cat
I saw this play last week in New York and was so moved by the imagery, the characterizations, the feeling of loss, redemption, and community...Very powerful and often funny.
Ana Rusness-petersen
Interesting play...dialog kinda threw me at first, but when I got past that and started seeing actors on stage (in my head) acting it out, it really engrossed me.
Hilary
I saw this performed, directed by McPherson himself and with an amazing cast..in London! How could I not like this play.
Brian
Saw the play in 2009 at Steppenwolf, but this is my first time reading it. Maybe McPherson's best play that I've read.
Karen
Dec 17, 2009 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama
Very dark but beautiful play set during Christmas in Ireland. McPherson is a playwright to watch!
Rebecca
Such a great play! Very intriguing concept. It starts a little show, but still a great read.
Livinginthecastle
Atmospheric and unsettling play from Conor McPherson.
Topher Rasmussen
Lockhart's monologue in act 2 about hell is magnificent.
Lily
We went to the theatre in New Brunswick.
Steve
Dark, depressing....
Paige Borak
Paige Borak marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Charlie Cook
Charlie Cook marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
The Seafarer by Conor McPherson 1 5 Oct 17, 2008 05:06AM
  • Reasons to Be Pretty
  • The Lieutenant of Inishmore
  • Stuff Happens
  • Frost/Nixon
  • Three Plays: Gruesome Playground Injuries / Animals Out of Paper / Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
  • Circle Mirror Transformation
  • The Coast of Utopia (Box Set)
  • Speed-the-Plow
  • In the Next Room, or the vibrator play
  • The God of Carnage
  • I Am My Own Wife
  • Red
  • 4000 Miles
  • This is Our Youth
Conor McPherson is an Irish playwright and director.
More about Conor McPherson...
The Weir The Weir and Other Plays Shining City Port Authority Dublin Carol