Start by marking “Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4)

Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica #4)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  950 ratings  ·  45 reviews
It has been twenty years since the Romans first occupied Britannia, and the rebellion by Boudica and her people nears its bloody climax. Now, as the Roman army marches on Mona, the last protected village in Britannia, the only hope for her nation lies with Boudica. With so much to lose—the very lives of her children and an entire culture on the verge of obliteration—Boudic ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Delta (first published February 13th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming the Serpent Spear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming the Serpent Spear

Hilary Green
No fiction has captured my imagination and occupied my mind, waking and dreaming, to the extent that these four books have, for a very long time. Which is why I have read all four straight off, without taking a break to read something else in between. I wrote about the first book, Dreaming the Eagle, some time back, so what I said there still stands. Scott has created a world of warriors and dreamers where to kill or to die in battle is the highest honour, for both men and women. It is her great ...more
Graham Crawford
I have a love hate relationship with the works of Manda Scott. Her subject matter and overall plot design is often engaging but the quality of her writing can be dreadfully variable. Some days she gets it together enough to move me, but on others she buries herself under laughable purple prose and melodrama. I much prefer her camp action thriller series about the Emperor's spy, which is essentially a lighthearted James Bond in sandals. She's so much more enjoyable when the bar is lowered.

The mor
Ronda  Tutt
Brilliant and Mind Blowing!

Wow what a journey Boudica goes through in raising a war host to fight against Rome. Even with many of the sacrifices to the gods and the dedication from the tribe warriors to include some of the Roman Soldiers who turned to Boudica's side the war was a brutal ending with great loss on each side.

The story that the author weaves is brilliant. This is not a fast pace read, it is filled with lots of details and must be savored to get the full effect of the feelings toward
Mark ~ Sinfully All Male Romance
This last book of four almost left me in tears at the end. Especially the reconciliation of Valerius and Corvus before the battle - major lump in throat!. A big thumbs down for history, however can't change what happened I guess. Great read for anyone who likes historical novels. All four books for me personally were a joy to read. Well done Ms Scott!

Claire
Finished this series again last night. I am always reading them, even while reading other things. I cry the whole way through all four because they are so profoundly moving, engaging... and of the spirit. Can't live without them. Thank you, m. So much. You don't even know.
Phil
I love historical novels about this period. I started read this quadrilogy a few years ago but stopped because the last two books hadn't been released yet. A few weeks ago I got the last two and read the set all the way through. Scott is a very good writer and the subject is interesting but her more modern agenda tends to weigh down the narrative. More time than is wise is given to the interaction between these barbarian savages and the ancestors and ghosts of the dead who seem to plague their e ...more
Rob Humphreys
Very enthralling final book in the series.
Things really paced fast in the third book and I went into the last one without pausing as it was all fresh on my mind. I just devoured the pages and even cancelled everything to sit down and read the final 150 pages in one afternoon.
I was not sure of the true ending so had an open mind how it would end by the author. The final battle scenes were engrossing and some of the most exciting I've read.
I felt sad when it ended and would like to know how the ch
Robert Herworth
I to halfway through the book and and said 'stuff it' hid it away in cupboard so that daylight may never look upon this book again.
I read the other books and i couldn't help but feel bored. Bored out of my skull, sure, we you can kill romans who doesn't want to?
But it would have been nice to add say, a little romance? some side plots?
We all knew the main plot for the series, thats all well and good. But add something else to it, just about all the characters were flat as pancakes. The only chara
Bethany
I have that horrible feeling now the one you get when you've been rushing through a book to find out what happens and when you do and it all ends you realise you should have savoured it because this was the last in the series!

An amazing end to a brilliant story. What more can I say? I highly recommend these books to anyone. The characters are so well created and I find myself nodding and grinning along with them, the plot is intricate and all though this wasn't the fastest paced book of the four
J
It’s over. It was sad, as I expected, but it could have been worse. One of the fascinations of reading the Boudica series is that Scott will bring events right up to the point where you think it can’t get any worse and she is going to have to pull away except she doesn’t and the worst does happen. Of course, heroic things happen. It couldn’t be a book about iron-age warriors without heroism. But somehow, even when they do it is still sad. Oh, maybe I’m just sad the series is over. I will say tha ...more
Sadie Anjum
I really enjoyed the final book of the Boudica series. This book sets the scene for the final battle, which is utterly epic. The ending was a shock to me, not what I was expecting at all. I love the character developments in this book. Each character comes to the final battle scarred and broken in their own ways, having been through the worst, yet the fire and passion that burns within them, to save their land and fight alongside the Boudica is awesome and very well written. I love everything ab ...more
Leanne
Would have been 4 stars but the extra is for Valerius and Corvus by the river. Yep I cried at that (just a little bit). Their final meeting in battle wasn't as intense and heart-wrenching as it could've been, but I suppose it was Boudica's story, not Valerius'. More's the pity, such a great character.

Also noticed Scott left out some of the more grisly parts of the sacking of the Roman cities, like cutting off women's breasts and sowing them to their mouths. I suppose this could make readers empa
Lorina Stephens
In this the final novel in Manda Scott's Boudica series, the entire historical credibility of the novels falls apart for this reader. Scott seemingly abandons research in favour of complete immersion into lucid-dreaming and its alleged effects upon the physical world.

Her portrayal of pre-pubescent Grainne, who was raped by half a century of Roman troops, goes beyond any hope of credibility. If the child lived after such brutality, it is highly likely she would have been so traumatized both phys
Neill Smith
As Cunomar becomes the leader of the shebears, Graine heals and again gains her powers as a dreamer, and Breaca regains her power and motivation the Roman commander is tasked with taking Mona or dying. As he leads the legions to attack Mona in the west the way is clear for the Valerius and the Eceni to assemble the tribes to destroy Camulodunum leading to the final clash in the war for ancient Britain. This is a well written and well researched highly recommended series.
Sarah Davies hull
A fantastic end to an amazing series of books. I cried when I finished it and felt an enormous sense of loss. The characters had become like family to me. I wasn't much of a reader before so I am incredibly grateful to Scott, not just for the books but also for igniting a ferocious appetite for literature.
Ted Hopkins
The word "Dreaming" in the title of all four books in this series is important. The dream-like quality moves these books more towards fantasy than would normally be expected of historical fiction. Unlike Pauline Gedge's covering of the same ground, Scott occasionally delves into magic to advance her plot. Scott's Boudica and Caradoc are both very different characters than Gedge's. An absorbing read.
Barbara
I thoroughly enjoyed this last book in the Boudica series. I am greatly impressed with Manda Scott's talent as a story teller and am now having difficulty finding a book that promises to engage me in it's characters and their adventures the way Scott's books have over these past several weeks. Any suggestions, my fellow readers?
Shmendrick
I have to say I'm head over heels in love with this series. One of the best parts for me has been watching the different characters grow. Most of them have been with us for two or three books at least now and they've all come so far. As a final piece to a stunning series this worked beautifully.
Shilo
I loved these books. Now I'm off on a boudica tangent. Great for lovers of historical fiction, king arthur, roman warfare, etc. Not for those with a weak stomach for the realities and gore of war.
Margareth8537
Enjoyed this final volume very much. Satisfying way to end. Reads as fantasy as much as historical fiction, but that is bound to happen with such a long gone period.
windy
The overt use of magic despite the ostensibly historical setting and the pseudo-Native-American mysticism got more and more annoying as this series progressed. But I guess there was something entertaining enough about it to keep me reading through all four books.

Still, a few things kept nagging me:
-Shouldn't there have been war chariots in there somewhere?

-The Britons are so enlightened and understanding here that the tragedy of the original Boudicca's fate is lost. The failure of the historical
L. Sengul
A great finale! I wished there was more!
Deborah Pickstone
I have absolutely loved this series. Sometimes my pernicketyness about getting the history exactly right is just blown away - this is one of those times. Besides, I like Dark Ages historical fiction because so little is known - so, that part of me is less easily triggered; it's very annoying when an otherwise great book keeps bringing me out of my dazey haze to be irritated. Miss Pedant.

In this case - like in The Mists of Avalon - I really enjoyed the fantasy element - and I am so not into the f
Tina
The four books in this series, of which this is the last, are superbly written. Densely packed with battle action and the human interactions of both sides, although firmly on Boudica's team, the books are incredibly moving. I fought back tears more than once and felt myself ride with Breaca, Valerius/Ban and Corvus, and dream with Luan Mac Calma and Airmid. The songs of the Eceni and the tribes who fought with them are still alive.
Sam
I loved this fourth installment of the Boudica series, the characters were again brilliantly written and the storyline believable and once again well researched. Scott has continues to recreate the intricacies of Celtic Britain and the Roman Empire very well with a distinct attention to detail that continues to support the story. Each character continues to be developed well and the situations that arise are again handled and written well and portrayed in a manner to make each as relevent to the ...more
Eva Mitnick
This is the fourth and last in a series about Breaca, warrior Queen of Roman-occupied Britain. A blend of well-researched historical fiction and (because let's face it, we don't know much) a healthy dose of mysticism and spiritual magic, this series has been intense, violent, emotional, and just out and out fabulous. It will plunge you into a very different world, where gods and the dead exist very closely with us and can be accessed by Dreamers or even by ordinary people in extraordinary situat ...more
Jane
The 'dreamer' aspect left me completely cold. But I've enjoyed following Bán/Valerius through the whole tetralogy. He seemed to me to have the most character development. Boudica's revolt and final battle were both VERY exciting. I could visualize the whole scene. Boudica's end as told in this novel sounded much more plausible than Tacitus's saying she poisoned herself. The author has a gift for descriptive prose. I realize she played with history, but it irritated me she located both Lugdunum a ...more
Ice Bear
We dream our ending and our ending is not what we would have believed, so our belief is challenged only to remain steadfast.
Brenna
And it's over. What a ride. As I mentioned in my review of the third book, I am already missing the characters and have many, many questions for the author because she left some characters on a storyline "cliff." She doesn't mention that she will continue with any of the characters so I have to know what happened to them. Did they survive the final battle??? If you are looking for a comprehensive tale of Queen Boudica, this is the perfect series to read.
Amanda
I could not get through this book! I LOVED all the other books an in this series, but I could NOT get through this one and I don't know why. I think I kept waiting for the pace to pick up, and it just didn't. The intensity was just not there. It was a real disappointment for me.
  • Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome, #2)
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • The Dawn Stag (Dalriada Trilogy, #2)
  • The Legion (Eagle, #10)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • The Leopard Sword (Empire, #4)
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia
  • The Light Bearer
Novelist, columnist and broadcaster MC Scott (aka Manda Scott) trained as a veterinary surgeon in Glasgow and worked at the Universities of Cambridge and Dublin, specialising in anaesthesia. A brief three year stint as a Director of the computer games company, Frontier Developments (Elite, Frontier First Encounter, Wallace and Gromit; Elite: Dangerous) bridged the gap from veterinary medicine to w ...more
More about Manda Scott...

Boudica (4 books)
  • Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1)
  • Dreaming the Bull (Boudica, #2)
  • Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3)
Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1) Dreaming the Bull (Boudica, #2) Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3) The Crystal Skull No Good Deed