Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3)

Dreaming the Hound (Boudica #3)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  773 ratings  ·  31 reviews
In a spellbinding novel of gods and men, myth and brutality, acclaimed author Manda Scott returns to her heralded saga of a world under siege. For here is the epic tale of Boudica, the legendary Celtic queen, and her embattled Eceni tribe—a bold new work of imaginative fiction that takes us on a thrilling journey into a clash between magic and mankind.

To the Eceni tribe o...more
Published January 31st 2006 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2005)

Sam
I loved this third installment of the Boudica series, the characters were again brilliantly written and the storyline believable and once again well researched. Scott has continues to recreate the intricacies of Celtic Britain and the Roman Empire very well with a distinct attention to detail that continues to support the story. Each character continues to be developed well and the situations that arise are again handled and written well and portrayed in a manner to make each as relevent to the...more
Graham Crawford
After a rather messy Book 2 - Manda Scott is back in form with "Dreaming the Hound". I am in two minds about this series now as it's turning out to have a lot more hippy new age Celtic neo-paganism than I'd bargained for. I'm sure this opened up a big new fan-base for Scott's books (and her "Dreaming" workshops), but this sort of wishy-washy Celtic mist masquerading as history sets my teeth on edge.

On the plus side, I really enjoy Scott's considered interpretations of Tacitus in light of recent...more
Ronda  Tutt
Amazing and Mind Boggling!

With this 3rd book in the 4 book series I can tell you each book gets into more dept of Boudica's life. The story is truly amazing with the sacrifices that Boudica takes to ensure her leadership role for her tribe the Eceni in order to raise an army to push back Rome. The Romans see the Tribes as savages yet Rome's actions are brutally horrifying and worse than any savage actions. Rome's greed knows no boundaries and becomes hungry with their taxation of the tribes good...more
Mark ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
The first book in this quadrilogy was a little slow but still well written and never failed to grip the interest of the reader.
However, after reading the second book and now the third the saga really does pick up speed making both books into real page turners. The figures all start to take on a real depth of character but only due to the good basis laid out in the first book.
It has been criticised that this quadrilogy is based on the classic model or metaphor of the greedy, profit driven, reso...more
Shmendrick
This probably my fourth or fifth time re-reading this book and I fall more in love with it every time. I find Graine's character slightly as she does feel overly perfect in this book but she's still a likeable character. I have to admit I was slightly confused by the appearance of Gunovar as in the first book Gunovic's family was said to have been taken by slavers and there was no mention of a daughter among the tribes but I liked her as well. Valerius just gets better with every book and his re...more
Bethany
I really love this series. I am a huge fan, I love the descriptions, the charcters, the plots. They are so well created and usually in a book there are parts that flow and others that re rather heavy going but in this it all just creates a lovely image in my head. Ban is one of my favourite characters of all time as he is just a wonderful character with a tortured soul that just appeals to me.
Jane
This series has gotten better through each book. I am enjoying the most the story of Bán/Valerius, the conflicted brother of Boudica, caught between two cultures--Briton and Roman. I appreciate each prologue, told by a narrator, which recounts the action in the previous volumes. I'm pretending that who the author means by 'dreamers' we would call Druids.
Lauren
So I enjoyed Dreaming the Hound even more and even less than the rest of the Boudica books. My main issue with the book was Boudica and her daughters after Prasutagus died. Because Boudica is an amazing warrior along with her half - daughter. So I just don't understand how they were captured and then raped by the Roman guards. A warrior of such immense power like Boudica wouldn't have let that happen, right? But other than that fault the book was amazing. I loved having Ban/ Valerius find his wa...more
Ritiel
A great and tragic ending, or perhaps the great beginning of something…

This novel, and its historical note, made me see how hard can be write a historical novel with few facts and little information. And of course, it changed my perception of the series, and of Manda’s work. But it is not just for it, that Dreaming the Hound was to me a great novel.

The turnabouts presented in parts two and three of the series catches the reader, they create that impulse of continue reading, while, somehow the fi...more
A. Murtagh
It's been so long since I read these that I can't remember what happens in which book, but I just had to leave a review saying that, as well as being generally ridonculously gritty and well-written, these books had one of the greatest characters I've ever read.

(view spoiler)...more
Neill Smith
Breaca is living on Mona, hunting Romans quietly and alone at night. Ban (Valerius) is a smith in Hibernia, away from the Eceni and the Romans. After the death of Veranius, the new governor of Britannia, Suetonius Paulinus, has been tasked with conquering the western tribes, a task he pursues with a vengeance as his tax collector tries to impoverish the tribes. When Breaca moves back to the Eceni homeland in the east to be ready to attack Camulodunum when Suetonius moves west, her life becomes t...more
Ted Hopkins
The word "Dreaming" in the title of all four books in this series is important. The dream-like quality moves these books more towards fantasy than would normally be expected of historical fiction. Unlike Pauline Gedge's covering of the same ground, Scott occasionally delves into magic to advance her plot. Scott's Boudica and Caradoc are both very different characters than Gedge's. An absorbing read.
Brenna

For the first time, the third book in a series stands up to the first two. The story is heart-breaking and you know it will only get worse in the fourth but there is also a sense of peace about the whole thing. I know I will be sad at the end of the fourth novel and will miss the characters I have come to love and respect.
Barbara
Now well invested in this series, I devoured Dreaming the Hound and was delighted to learn today that there is a fourth instalment - Dreaming the Serpent-Spear. The characters are wonderfully developed and many became a part of my circle of friends while others became my arch enemies as I became totally immersed in this thrilling story.
Tanzanite
So far, the best of the three I have read. Still somewhat slow going, but the last 50 pages or so more than make up for it in emotional impact. Full review here: http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/200...
Míami
Again quite a dark, gloomy read but considering the events unfolding it could hardly have been any other way! The characters evolve in a very deep and credible way. A great book overall setting the scene for the story's dramatic conclusion.
Margareth8537
I have really enjoyed this series. The characterisation, depth of knowledge and good guesses about a period that is very little known. As they say, "History is written by the victors", and even they haven't left us that much
Shilo
I loved these books. Now I'm off on a boudica tangent. Great for lovers of historical fiction, king arthur, roman warfare, etc. Not for those with a weak stomach for the realities and gore of war.
Lori
Still like this series, looking forward to the next. Enjoy the story and the themes, love, loss, redemption, honor, death, and the cyclical nature of things.
Amanda Squires
So far this is the best of the series. Fast moving and detailed and character development good. Looking forward to Dreaming the Serpent Spear.
Nancy
Good airplane/book while traveling. It was a bit hard to wrap my head around all the characters, but by the end I cared about most of them.
Sara Foley
Loved it, the series is really coming together. The end was totally shattering though.
Marsha Robinson
Started a bit slowly but overall still a good read.
Ulla
This is a brilliant breathtaking story!
Leanne
My favourite one of the series so far.
Valerie
I enjoyed the series.
Florence
i loooooved it!
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • Song of the North (Dalriada Trilogy, #3)
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • The Eagle's Prey (Eagle, #5)
  • Killer of Men (Long War, #1)
  • The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia
  • Holy Warrior (The Outlaw Chronicles, #2)
  • Dark Moon of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #2)
  • Crusade (Brethren Trilogy, #2)
Novelist, columnist and broadcaster MC Scott (aka Manda Scott) trained as a veterinary surgeon in Glasgow and worked at the Universities of Cambridge and Dublin, specialising in anaesthesia. A brief three year stint as a Director of the computer games company, Frontier Developments (Elite, Frontier First Encounter, Wallace and Gromit; Elite: Dangerous) bridged the gap from veterinary medicine to w...more
More about Manda Scott...
Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1) Dreaming the Bull (Boudica, #2) Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4) The Crystal Skull No Good Deed