Start by marking “Blair's Nightmare (Stanley Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blair's Nightmare (Stanley Family, #3)

Blair's Nightmare (Stanley Family #3)

The Stanley kids and their stepsister try to keep secret a dog that Blair finds, keep David out of the clutches of the school bully, and find out if some escaped convicts really are nearby. Sequel to "The Famous Stanley Kidnapping Case."
Published November 1st 1985 by Yearling (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Blair's Nightmare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blair's Nightmare

Chris
Nov 18, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my least favorite book in the Stanley series, and yet I'm giving it 3 stars anyway, which is saying a lot about Zilpha Keatley Snyder as an author. She really knows how to create fun and interesting characters. I just wish she'd created a plot I could get more into here.

Basically, this is a story about a dog. An enormous one, appropriately given the name Nightmare, as initially everyone believes that Blair is not telling the truth when he claims a giant dog visits him every night. Once t
Chris
Feb 17, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myles
Jun 30, 2010 Myles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff
Blair gets used more for creepy village-of-the-damned prescience in this outing, which is nice.

It's the end of the summer after they've returned from Italy (the 'famous' kidnapping isn't referred to, it really is best forgotten) and David and co. have been trying to convince their parents to let them have another pet, to no avail.

David is still our narrator, but Snyder has given him something interesting to think about, that is, a bully. But there's more going on: Amanda's become even more boy
Maria
Oct 14, 2008 Maria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the third installment in the Stanley family series (although I forgot this and read it second this time). The children have aged and seem to have grown out of the magic for the most part, although there is still a sense of mystery. I also thing the characters seem more one dimensional which is a shame since it seems like they would get richer the more time was spent writing about them. One nice thing about the books though are the black and white illustrations. They are nothing at all li ...more
Jun 09, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
In the latest Stanley family novel, 6 year old Blair has been sleepwalking lately and talking about seeing a dog no one else can see. Also, some escaped convicts might be hiding in the woods nearby. Meanwhile, David is dealing with a bully at school. The blended family also grows closer throughout the course of this novel.
I really admire Snyder for being able to tell a tale that is interesting and plausible and, while meant for children, is also enjoyable to an adult reader.
Phoebe
Feb 07, 2010 Phoebe rated it really liked it
Another Stanley adventure, this time involving Blair and the dog everyone thinks is imaginary, escaped prisoners, and David's unlikely friendship with the school bully. Well written and funny. Out of print.
Wooden Horse
The last few chapters had me laughing out loud. A refreshingly fast read with just the right number of sticky situations for the family to go through. It almost makes me want to trade my Pug for an Irish Wolfhound.
Craig
Sep 17, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-2011
Again, the fear of criminals on the loose and adolescent traumas via bullies come together to make for a really solid book about handling fear and anxiety in children.
Enere Aits Bonite
Aug 27, 2012 Enere Aits Bonite rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. This is the first book of Zilpha Keatley Snyder I've read.'twas amazing!
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his books.
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it did not like it
Oct 10, 2007
catastrophegirl
catastrophegirl rated it liked it
May 01, 2008
Deana
Deana rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2008
Deepthi
Deepthi rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2007
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Jennifer Heise
Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Elizabeth Creegan
Elizabeth Creegan rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Bjm
Bjm rated it liked it
May 07, 2009
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2008
Emily rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2011
nap385
nap385 rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Susie
Susie rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2007
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2011
Brian Cribb
Brian Cribb rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2017
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2008
Chicklet
Read in elementary school and found it good and scary.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Melusine
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • Taking Care of Terrific
  • Encyclopedia Prehistorica Mega-Beasts Pop-Up
  • Far to Go
  • Our Sixth-Grade Sugar Babies
  • Freddy and the Men from Mars
  • Favorite Norse Myths
  • Nobody's Family Is Going to Change
  • Bøvsedragernes hemmelighed (Freddy-serien #3)
  • One-Eyed Cat
  • The Hex Witch of Seldom
  • Beowulf: Dragonslayer
  • Time and Mr. Bass (Mushroom Planet, #6)
  • Report to the Principal's Office!
  • Class President
  • I and You and Don't Forget Who
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game," "The Headless Cupid," and "The Witches of Worm," Zilpha Keatley Snyder began writing books for children in 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies," was published. Over the course of the career she completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for y ...more
More about Zilpha Keatley Snyder...

Stanley Family (4 books)
  • The Headless Cupid (Stanley Family, #1)
  • The Famous Stanley Kidnapping Case (Stanley Family, #2)
  • Janie's Private Eyes (Stanley Family, #4)