That's Not My Dinosaur

That's Not My Dinosaur

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  585 ratings  ·  54 reviews
-- Two additions to the best-selling Touchy-Feely series, That's Not My Dinosaur and That's Not My Truck are sure to be favorites.-- Colorful illustrations and interesting textures make these sturdy board books perfect for hands-on fun!
Board Book, 10 pages
Published June 1st 2002 by E.D.C. Publishing (first published February 22nd 2002)

Jurassic Park by Michael CrichtonDragon Dawn by Deborah O'Neill CordesThe Lost World by Michael CrichtonRaptor Red by Robert T. BakkerThe Dinosaur Heresies by Robert T. Bakker
Best Dinosaur Books
81st out of 90 books — 101 voters
Dinotopia by James GurneyEdwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct by Mo WillemsDinosaur Bones by Bob BarnerHow Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane YolenHow Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You? by Jane Yolen
Dinosaur Picture Books
71st out of 99 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Rob Adey
Elizabeth
One, it uses the word "squashy," which should be used at every possible juncture. Two, it's one of two books that my 8-month old is obsessed with (besides Doggies by Sandra Boynton). Three, the pages are particularly thick, even for a board book, so she is actually able to help turn them. I'm already tired of reading the book, but isn't this just the beginning?
Ellary
This book reminds me of my childhood oh so many months ago. They say one's sense of smell holds the strongest ties to thoughts of nostalgia but this little gem leads me to believe, rather, it is one's sense of touch that can most strongly conjure fond memories of simpler times.
Charlotte
Jan 18, 2008 Charlotte rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: babies.
Recommended to Charlotte by: Kai
Charlotte's big cousin picked this one out for her. It has touchy-feely pages which she likes. She also seems to link the big pictures. I find a couple of things about this book mysterious - for example, on the back in big letters it says NOT FOR SALE IN CANADA, and I have to wonder about that. Also, the sandpaper-y feeling for "rough" is REALLY rough, which is an interesting choice for a baby's book. Another plus is that it also appears to be "Made with paper from a sustainable forest."

All in a...more
Vorbis
The 'That's not my' series. Gorgeous pictures, good concept, Matt loved finding the little mouse on each page. I'd recommend them highly except that the descriptors for the fabrics aren't really that accurate very often.
For instance, on that's not my dinosaur, my dinosaur on the front cover is barely squashy at all. It is shiny, which would be my guess if I couldn't read. The fuzzy tails only become fuzzy after repeated and repeated reads, they start off quite stiff. Slippery is not slippery at...more
Catharine Keeffe
Great for early childhood learners because each page has a different texture! Can teach students about different types of bodies and skin types animals have, and that each animal is special in its own way!
Sarah Sammis
That's Not My Dinosaur is a "Touch-Feely" Usborne book. It uses different tactile pieces to teach textures as a mouse tries to find his dinosaur.

Each page features a different kind of dinosaur drawn in a cute cartoony fashion. In terms of plot, its repetitive like Have You Seen My Cat by Eric Carle.

While this is a short board book, it's one that usually ends up being read multiple times. First I will read it to Harriet and then she will "read" it to herself. Then she will "read" it to me and let...more
James Mertz
my son loves this book
Heather
Great for little hands, with strong touchy parts. Recommended for little ones.
Connie
It's very simple. A little mouse runs around trying to find his dinosaur, each dinosaur is wrong for some touchy-feely reason.

Very striking, simple pictures, very easy text for little babies and toddlers. Any child is capable of sitting through this one!

I especially like that the rough horns on the triceratops are actually really *rough* - good touch!

A great book in a great series.
Voracious_reader
Our toddler loves this one. Unlike many touch and feel books, this one provides a variety of textures. With so many of this type the pages are all nearly the same. Also many of the touch and feel books are first word books, so they don't have a story as much as pictures of animals with a texture and an animal name etc. This has sentences, albeit repetitive ones, and a theme.
Jude
Do you know why I know that's not your dinosaur? Because DINOSAURS ARE EXTINCT, dude.

***

My eight-month-old enjoyed touching the velcro strips that substitute for the triceratops' three horns. While he enjoyed helping me turn the pages, he seemed no more or less interested in this book than his others. I thought it was cute, but too short.
Rebecka
Ok, so this is a Lila read but the 'That's not my...' series are really very awesome! The bright, bold illustrations and repetitive text keep her enthralled but it's the 'Touchy Feely' elements that set these titles aside from other board books and (although she is only 9 months old) enable her to 'read' the book on her own.
Tammy  King Carlton
Andrew just turned one last week, and we gave him this book for his birthday. This, and Watt's other board book, "That's not my pony", are his two favorite books right now. He will run his hands along the furry and squishy pages over and over and over.
Michelle Brandstetter
EL Skills - Print motivation, print awareness, vocabulary, & phonological awareness. Activities - Read & talk. Who doesn't like dinosaurs? Through color, shapes, and textures this book encourages sensory awareness.
Louis
My 22-month old loves this. After two readings he started reading along. Fits in well with his regular visits to the museum. It has taken a place in the regular bed time rotation over the past two months.
Kasey Marriott
My 20-month old son loves this book. It's always the first one he picks up when we sit down to read. I really like that it's a "touch" book so it becomes more interactive for him.
Anika
This was the perfect book for my son. When I bought it for him he was 1 y.o. and hit helped teach him to the differences in textures. I reccommend this book for all mothers.
Anaeka
“This is my favortite texture series. The textures go with the words. My daughter loved listening to and looking at it at 8 months but didn't care much about the textures
Jaimi
Again, one of my kids favorite books! They have so many different varieties of this book, there is sure to be one that suits your child's interests.
Emerson
One of Emerson's favorite books. Great contrasting colors, fun to touch textures and colors as the little mouse tries to find his dinosaur.
Sara
I'm a big fan of "That's Not My Reindeer" and "That's Not My Dinosaur" does not disappoint! I'm sure I will read this 100+ times :-)
Melissa
My husband loves anything dinosaur related for children, and i love all of the tough-and-feel books, so this was a winner!
Jason Beyer
I am a stickler for biological accuracy and this book teaches kids that dinosaurs' tails are fuzzy. Maybe I missed something.
jacky
Read these touch and feel books with William at the book store. He responded well. Awesome variety in textures!
Kara.braciale
I have a new found appreciation for sparkle spandex, gator board, fashion color sandpaper and the joys of repetition
Mahrya
Tactile, bright, bold--what else could you ask for in a board book? The boy gives it five drool drops.
Lisa
Sep 15, 2007 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: babies
Shelves: childhood, forbabies
My son adored this book from about six to 18 months. He loved to touch the different textures. A great gift!
Such a cute book! I really liked this board book and the way it incorporated tactile objects.
Shala Howell
My four-month old loves to feel the pictures and will turn the pages to touch her favorite spots!
  • Dinosaur Roar! Board Book
  • Big Little
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play With Their Friends?
  • Perfect Piggies!
  • Tails
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • How Do I Love You?
  • What Makes a Rainbow? Mini edition (A Magic Ribbon Book)
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • Global Babies
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • Noni The Pony
  • Peek-a-Moo!
Fiona Watt graduated from Exeter University with a B.Ed. (Hons.), specialising in Psychology and Art and Design. After university she worked as a researcher and writer for a company which published educational material for places where children went on school visits (zoos, museums, stately homes etc). She then taught seven, eight, and nine year olds for five years; three years at a state school in...more
More about Fiona Watt...
That's Not My Puppy...Its Coat is Too Hairy (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books) That's Not My Dragon... (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books) That's Not My Monster That's Not My Train That's Not My Monkey...