Start by marking “Empyrion (Empyrion, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Empyrion (Empyrion, #1-2)

Empyrion (Empyrion #1-2)

Traveler, debt-dodger, itinerant critic, and writer of history books nobody buys, Orion Treet is astonished when he's invited to accompany a top-secret mission to observe and document an extraterrestrial colony on a newly discovered planet. But when Treet and his companions reach the paradise planet they have been promised, they find themselves enmeshed in an ancient and d ...more
Published February 1st 1990 by Lion Publishing Plc

To ask other readers questions about Empyrion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empyrion

Andrew
Apr 04, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
I have what you might call a like/dislike relationship to Lawhead's work. Often I find him rather sterile and unengaging. This book (which is two books to create one overall story with an obvious break in the middle).

I actually got this book originally by mistake. A friend had been telling about a Lawhead book and I'd forgotten the name (It was Dream Thief) and my parents were going to a book shop in Oxford and asked if I wanted anything. As I couldn't remember the name, I asked for his latest.
Jon Gill
Jul 20, 2016 Jon Gill rated it it was amazing
This two book series was a great example of good but accessible literature. I read it as a teen, and I expect I would get just as many things out of it as an adult. It's certainly sci-fi, but it's also a great exploration of civilization, the place our history has in our future, and what "dystopian" should even mean. When I say dystopian, these novels don't *quite* qualify, and they're not trying to; they're neither utopian nor dystopian, but find a great halfway contrast, especially in the high ...more
Sheena
May 24, 2008 Sheena rated it really liked it
Empyrion is a fun science-fiction novel. However, like the better science-fiction novels, there's more to it than space travel, brand-new worlds, and cultures to understand. For one thing, there are no aliens. :)

Lawhead typically writes fantasy, based on legends and historical events. Empyrion is one of his two science-fiction projects. And while Lawhead is a master of fantasy, he's pretty good at science-fiction as well.
Mel
Aug 02, 2007 Mel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young sci fi readers
This sci fi pair were my first introduction to Stephen Lawhead. I enjoyed this journey to the stars and was sorry that he hasn't written anything else in this genre. I spoke to Mr. Lawhead last summer, and asked him why he didn't write anymore sci fi. He said that the market was flooded with good Science Fiction and his priority has been Historical Fiction and alternate realities since he wrote these books.
Alistair Archibald
Mar 18, 2014 Alistair Archibald rated it really liked it
Although it takes a bit to get into, with a lot to get ones head around , the world of the dome is very rich and detailed, with some great ideas. Although the author doesn't follow through satisfactorily on a couple of them ie the evil/good mental presences, especially trabant wasn't followed through particularly well, should've been aliens, dammit. Also too much banging on about how great the Fieri were, on my re read, i skipped all the boating nonsense and stuck with Orion's adventures for the ...more
Josh
May 24, 2007 Josh rated it it was amazing
I read this book (2 actually, back then) in high school & they were among my favorites ever to that point in time. Fantasy & sci-fi with a fun plot.
Kyle Pratt
Jan 25, 2013 Kyle Pratt rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Christian science fiction
Shelves: science-fiction
Empyrion is an epic science fiction story by Christian writer Stephen Lawhead. Originally two books, The Search for Fierra and The Siege of Dome, the first book ends with too much unresolved and the second cannot stand on its own. The two books of this volume are in fact one story.

All too often Christian fiction is second-rate fiction but this is not the case with Stephen Lawhead and Empyrion. This story is excellent science fiction. However, Empyrion is not just the story of four travelers to a
Reza
Jan 15, 2009 Reza rated it liked it
Well, some things age well. Other things don't hold the charm that time seems to imbue them with. The Empyrion Books were among my favorites growing up. I remember my sister getting me the first, The Search for Fierra, when I visited my father in Portland at age 11 or 12.

The first is an interesting concept and the plot moves quickly to get the characters to their destination. However, the investigations that our protagonist, Orion Treet, go through lacked the seeming immenseness that I attribut
Piper Mejia
Jun 28, 2016 Piper Mejia rated it liked it
This book was recommended by a friend and like all recommendations I was eager to read. Though dated, which is to be expected, there was enough complexity to keep me reading. Set in the future this novel looks at how a society is forced to recreate itself when it is cut off for the world it knows best. I particularly enjoyed the fast paced beginning but was a bit disappointed in the almost too neatly tied up ending. A must read of all world builders.
Johan Haneveld
Apr 10, 2013 Johan Haneveld rated it liked it
Not too shabby SF from an author who writes predominantly in the historical fantasy genre. It's been a while since I read it, but I liked the theologica speculation in this one, the rich description of an alien civilization, and the viewpoint character. I didn't like the ending too much, some of the idea's were not taken to their full potential, an issue I observe more often in Lawhéads books, especially his early ones, so the story did not leave a huge impression. I don't think Lawhead's streng ...more
Craig
May 13, 2014 Craig rated it it was amazing
My favourites book(s).
I remember picking these up originally as the separate novels back when I was 14. I had a gift voucher for a bookstore, but it was only enough for one of the books. I begged and pleaded with my mother that she get me the second one and I'm so glad it paid off. I love this book so much, that even when I loaned the books to someone and they moved away, I went out and re-bought them (although I had to get the omnibus version).
I am not normally a huge fan of sci-fi novels (I pr
Banner
Sep 21, 2011 Banner rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This edition has both books. I would give a three star to The Search for Fierra and a four star to Siege of Dome. It's the story of the future exploration of space by powerful corporations. However, this is just more about setting up the story; once we get to Empyrion (which is pretty quick) the corporation plays only a small part. This is really about humanity's colonization of an alien plant after being cut off from earth. The contrast between good and evil is the predominate theme.

There's pl
Craig Becker
Dec 01, 2007 Craig Becker rated it it was ok
Still in progress on this one, a nice fat long story, looks like a standard good / evil space aliens book. We have met the space aliens, and they are US!

I finally finished this one and was disappointed in the ending yet again. Is a SCI/FI book, and this one is both novels massed together. The resulting book is rather heavy and difficult to hold for any length of time, at least it made my thumb tired.

Yes the space aliens were indeed us, and another space opera, good vs. evil, utopia vs. big broth
Josiah DeGraaf
Aug 06, 2014 Josiah DeGraaf rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Excellent Sci-Fi. A lot of great elements in this book.

4 Stars. (Very Good)
Patrick
Feb 04, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it
As a Christian and sci-fi fan, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. While the characters didn't captivate me emotionally (as in, say, LOTR or HP ), the landscape of Empyrion was fascinating. Were I closed off to the Christian perspective, I could see how the second book might become a bit droll and cumbersome. However, fans of John Carter, Avatar, and Firefly alike should find enjoyment within the realm of Fierra and Dome. Not my favorite Lawhead, nonetheless. That title goes to the Songs of Albion b ...more
Joshua
May 25, 2012 Joshua rated it it was ok
I'd say 2.5 stars, not 2, but I'm not sure how to do that.

I read this when I was a kid and loved it (it was my first foray into science fiction). I recently read it again and the writing is kind of choppy, but it's still a cool story. I don't think you should make a special effort to read it, but if you find yourself locked in a room with nothing but this book, you should read it.

It's a good, simplistic allegory.
Michaela
Sep 27, 2013 Michaela rated it it was amazing
This book I first read when i was14 years old, and have read again on several occasions since. An epic space tale that will keep you entertained from the first page to the last. A story told from the different perspectives of a cast of very interesting characters. Sci -fi is not usually my first choice of fictional genre, but this book will always be one of my favourites.
Paul
Jan 25, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I've read these, mostly on the strength of Lawhead's other works. This is a great book for Jr. High and up. This book is a strong commentary on mankind's tendancies toward destruction. Recommended (as are all of Lawhead's works).
Eric
Oct 31, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi buffs
I've read several Lawhead books, but I've really enjoyed his Sci-Fi stuff more more than his historical fiction. Empyrion is his best, IMHO.
Benthomas
Jun 02, 2008 Benthomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
This book helped determine theorys i have used throughout my life in how i look at the world.
Very good book, both in the series.
Julian
Aug 28, 2008 Julian rated it really liked it
This book is amazing so far and it has that sort of a star wars feeling that gives it a spark of glory. I love it!
Jason
Apr 27, 2012 Jason rated it liked it
Tried very hard to be "epic." The story was solid, but got a little preachy towards the end.
Melina
Aug 21, 2007 Melina rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy/Sci-Fi lovers
Two of Lawhead's earlier books. Good, but not as wonderful as his later writing.
Jonatron
Jan 30, 2009 Jonatron rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I liked these when I read them as a kid. Don't know if I still would.
Ice Bear
Feb 28, 2011 Ice Bear rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A gentle read, as books of his often are.
Erbegema
Sep 04, 2010 Erbegema rated it really liked it
Loved it! Great Sci-fi and amazing dystopia!
Aaron
Mar 23, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it
I liked this series.
Stephen Graham
Stephen Graham rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
  • Leviathan
  • Perseus Spur (Rampart Worlds #1)
  • Crown of Fire (Firebird, #3)
  • To Hold Infinity
  • Ramshackle Rose
  • Road to Underfall (Loremasters of Elundium, #1)
  • Wings of Dawn
  • Arena
  • Hide or Seek
  • The Science Fiction Century
  • Cloud Warrior (Amtrak Wars, #1)
  • The Wild (A Requiem For Homo Sapiens, #2)
  • The Inspirational Writings of C.S. Lewis
  • Polar City Blues
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)
  • Way of the Pilgrim
  • The Wizard Of Linn
  • Who?
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

Empyrion (2 books)
  • The Search for Fierra (Empyrion, #1)
  • The Siege of Dome (Empyrion, #2)