Start by marking “Wetware” as Want to Read:
Wetware

Wetware

As a programmer for Galapagos Wetware, Hal Briggs is responsible for writing the genetic code for simple, efficient creatures to be employed in menial jobs–sweeping streets or washing dishes. But the demands for “wetware” are changing, and Briggs is given a project that calls for more sophisticated models: clients are demanding more human appearance and behavior.

As the pro
Published December 18th 2007 by Vintage (first published January 8th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Wetware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wetware

Stephanie Jobe
May 05, 2012 Stephanie Jobe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this one for a different reason than usual, the author is going to be one of my professors in the fall. I’m not a huge science fiction person, as far as I usually go is Ender’s Game or maybe some Anne McCaffrey depending on where you draw the line. The descriptions are beautiful. The futuristic world is believable and disturbing. There is a morbid beauty to the entire thing. There was a bit more sexually explicitness than I anticipated but it suited. It was a bit hard to get into unt ...more
Spencer
May 30, 2008 Spencer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Nova's characterization is what made this book keep going. The reviews I read about the book said somewhat the same. However, the pacing of this book is far too slow until the final ten chapters of the book where things go far too fast and seem not to match the pacing of the first part of the book. I find the world interesting and Craig Nova lends the world description that feels damp and like the title of the book I could sense the dryness and dampness of the world. Though, it would have be ...more
Travis Todd
Dec 15, 2012 Travis Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was my first exposure to Nova's work, and I only have about 40 minutes until I have to be at work so this is gonna be a short review. Basically, it's like Philip K. Dick if he could write dialogue and without the sometimes taxing overlays of religiosity and paranoia. The sentences keep coming in a clipped, unpretentious way that makes the "noir" references I've seen to Nova's work make sense. Nova's also capable of very poetic and insightful prose that can catch you slightly off-guard, ...more
Anh Ta
Feb 02, 2012 Anh Ta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book thoroughly engaging. The characters are convincingly human, even the ones who aren't as human as we are. I found the evocation of their needs particularly moving. We all deal with loneliness and purpose. Craig Nova relates the struggle with both in a strange and fascinating near-future, near reality setting. I loved it. If you like intelligent sci-fi, then definitely give this a read.
Barry Bridges
Sep 17, 2012 Barry Bridges rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Philip K Dick tradition without the paranoia. In the future where people who do unpleasant jobs have to be manufactured.

I find it interesting how Nova paints scenic word pictures as both "natural" humans and "manufactured" humans pass through the environment, using the passing scenery to show that they are the same without passing a moral judgment.
Karenbike Patterson
Part Science Fiction, part a novel set in the future, there is a common dilemma of what is man's responsibility to what he may create. In the end, the two "humans" Briggs creates draw the conclusion that they were slaves. This novel was bewildering but thought provoking.
Thomas Litchford
I just never felt that urgency to keep turning the pages. I've heard great things about Nova, so maybe this one was just a miss.
Mick
Jun 15, 2010 Mick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't get engaged by this, and put it down 100 pages in. The writing was occasionally very interesting, but there's a distance to it. It was never emotionally engaging.
Doug Clark
really weird. some parts were interesting, some were hot, some sad.
Terry
Pedestrian modern/urban/techno SF.
Roy
Roy rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2013
Eve Gravel
Eve Gravel rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Maven
Maven rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Benj
Benj rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2010
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2007
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2013
Zed
Jun 23, 2009 Zed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sci-fi foray into "programming" new humans.
RGS
RGS rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
Walanski
Walanski rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Russell Selkirk
Russell Selkirk rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2011
David
David rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Viatrix
Viatrix rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Alain
Alain rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Jonathan Galloway
Jonathan Galloway rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
K.B. Key
K.B. Key rated it did not like it
Nov 20, 2014
Merlin
Merlin rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2012
Tom Leary
Tom Leary rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2007
Vmaganti
Vmaganti rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2012