Start by marking “Wetware” as Want to Read:
Wetware

Wetware

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  11 reviews
As a programmer for Galapagos Wetware, Hal Briggs is responsible for writing the genetic code for simple, efficient creatures to be employed in menial jobs–sweeping streets or washing dishes. But the demands for “wetware” are changing, and Briggs is given a project that calls for more sophisticated models: clients are demanding more human appearance and behavior.

As the pro...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Vintage (first published January 8th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Wetware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wetware

Stephanie Jobe
I picked up this one for a different reason than usual, the author is going to be one of my professors in the fall. I’m not a huge science fiction person, as far as I usually go is Ender’s Game or maybe some Anne McCaffrey depending on where you draw the line. The descriptions are beautiful. The futuristic world is believable and disturbing. There is a morbid beauty to the entire thing. There was a bit more sexually explicitness than I anticipated but it suited. It was a bit hard to get into unt...more
Travis Todd
This book was my first exposure to Nova's work, and I only have about 40 minutes until I have to be at work so this is gonna be a short review. Basically, it's like Philip K. Dick if he could write dialogue and without the sometimes taxing overlays of religiosity and paranoia. The sentences keep coming in a clipped, unpretentious way that makes the "noir" references I've seen to Nova's work make sense. Nova's also capable of very poetic and insightful prose that can catch you slightly off-guard,...more
Spencer
Mr. Nova's characterization is what made this book keep going. The reviews I read about the book said somewhat the same. However, the pacing of this book is far too slow until the final ten chapters of the book where things go far too fast and seem not to match the pacing of the first part of the book. I find the world interesting and Craig Nova lends the world description that feels damp and like the title of the book I could sense the dryness and dampness of the world. Though, it would have be...more
Anh Ta
I found this book thoroughly engaging. The characters are convincingly human, even the ones who aren't as human as we are. I found the evocation of their needs particularly moving. We all deal with loneliness and purpose. Craig Nova relates the struggle with both in a strange and fascinating near-future, near reality setting. I loved it. If you like intelligent sci-fi, then definitely give this a read.
Barry Bridges
In the Philip K Dick tradition without the paranoia. In the future where people who do unpleasant jobs have to be manufactured.

I find it interesting how Nova paints scenic word pictures as both "natural" humans and "manufactured" humans pass through the environment, using the passing scenery to show that they are the same without passing a moral judgment.
Karenbike Patterson
Part Science Fiction, part a novel set in the future, there is a common dilemma of what is man's responsibility to what he may create. In the end, the two "humans" Briggs creates draw the conclusion that they were slaves. This novel was bewildering but thought provoking.
Mick
Didn't get engaged by this, and put it down 100 pages in. The writing was occasionally very interesting, but there's a distance to it. It was never emotionally engaging.
Thomas Litchford
I just never felt that urgency to keep turning the pages. I've heard great things about Nova, so maybe this one was just a miss.
Doug Clark
really weird. some parts were interesting, some were hot, some sad.
Zed
A sci-fi foray into "programming" new humans.
Terry
Pedestrian modern/urban/techno SF.
William
William marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Steve Saunders
Steve Saunders marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Robobobo
Robobobo marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Amy Elizabeth
Amy Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Constant Heart The Good Son The Informer: A Novel All the Dead Yale Men Cruisers: A Novel