Start by marking “The Lady in the Attic (Annie's Attic Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lady in the Attic (Annie's Attic Mysteries #1)

The Lady in the Attic (Annie's Attic Mysteries #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Upon the death of her beloved grandmother, Annie Dawson travels to Stony Point, Maine to tie up affairs and decide the fate of the family home, Grey Gables. In the attic, she comes across an unusual cross stitch featuring a young woman seated on a porch swing of the grand old house. Who is the woman? It isn’t her grandmother. Annie is intrigued and determined to discover h ...more
Published 2010

To ask other readers questions about The Lady in the Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady in the Attic

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Cozy Mystery Series
280th out of 445 books — 1,389 voters
The Lady in the Attic by Tara RandelJazzed by Donna KellyDiary in the Attic by DeAnna Julie DodsonMedals In The Attic by Cathy  ElliottThe Photo Album by Marlene Chase
Cozy Mystery Series by Annie's Publishing
1st out of 34 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane Ferbrache
Annie spent many summers with her grandmother in Stony Point, Maine, but in recent years she's been living in Texas near her children and grandchildren. When her grandmother, Betsy, dies and Annie inherits her house, she goes to Maine to settle the estate and finds herself involved in a mystery.

I bought this book on a whim. It was advertised in a needlecraft/quilting catalog. I had not heard of the author, but thought it might be a nice book to read and then share with my mother-in-law. I was ri
Christe
This is a new author for me & I will definitely be reading more of her work! ;) I came across the ad for this book in a crochet magazine so I checked it out. If you are into needlecraft as well as a good mystery, you'll love this book. It really made me think about where I grew up & family history since it's about a house being inherited by a granddaughter & finding the mysteries of the grandmother's life. So pick it up to read today because it's the perfect book to cuddle up with in ...more
Helen Rosenberger
Annie Dawson lost her husband, she had a independent daughter with twins...Annie hears that her Grandmother died and left her the house that she spent her summers when she was young. She drove from Texas to Maine. When Annie arrived at the house, the mystery starts with the cross stitch her grandmother left in the attic. It leads Annie all over town and she meets up with the Hook and Needle Club and they all want to help her solve the mystery.

Mom
I had been looking at this book for some time. I love crafts and wanted to read it, but I never wanted to only order it. I wanted to purchase more books.
What a lovely birthday present from my sweet daughter.
Annie inherited her grandmother's home, Grey Gables in Maine. She lived in Texas and had spent her childhood summers there. With the pace of caring for a child and car sales company with her husband, she had not made it back to Maine to visit her grandma.
She went to see the home only to fall
Mary
This book is the first in a series of mysteries from of all places Annie's Attic Craft Patterns and books. I enjoyed reading it because it had knitting, crocheting, and counted cross stitch all of which I have done and do more often than housework! If I am not reading, you can usually find me in my favorite chair with either needles or cloth for cross stitch.

Annie Dawson is trying to deal with the loss of her husband when she hears that her Grandma died and left her the house that she visited w
Pam
Lady In The Attic is the first book in a series of mysteries by Tara Randel. A quick read with a great story. It is the story of a woman finding herself and her place in life after the death of her husband. It is also a mystery to finding out who the woman is in a piece of needlework. It takes place in Stony Point, Maine.
Annie Dawson has had a year to come to grips with the death of her husband, Wayne. In this year, she has sold their business and now found herself sitting alone at home crochet
Elentarien
Nice 'gentle' NON-murder mystery. It was rather refreshing to read a mystery that was NOT about someone dying for a change. Interesting read, and it was a bit hard to put down though not much truly 'exciting' happened. Was fairly well written and intriguing. A little predictable near the end, but not in a bad way. Did seem odd that people got so 'fixated' on this image. Then again, sometimes odd things capture the imagination and anything is a break from the routine.
Ann
What a sweet story. I really enjoyed reading about a quaint little town. I also enjoyed trying to solve the mystery right along with the characters of the book. Approximately, three quarters of the way through the book, I had a feeling I solved the mystery. By the end of the book I found out I was correct. If you are looking for something light and fun to read, I would recommend this book.
Sandra Knapp
The first book in the "Annie's Attic" series. It was a nice easy read, with a simple but fun storyline. The characters were very easy to relate to, being a needle-crafter myself. I enjoyed it very much.
Elizabeth
A nice story about a middle aged woman who inherits a house from her grandmother. She discovers a cross stitch piece that causes quite a stir in the small town.
Sandra
Light easy read about a woman finding herself after the loss of her husband by solving a mystery left behind by her grandmother.
Jodi
I enjoyed the needlecraft aspect of this book, but the mystery wasn't so mysterious. Still it was a very good book.
Kim
Great book. You can always find friends where ever you go and don't let the one you do have get away.
Lauri Key
This was a pretty good book. I got it from a book club and am anxious to read the rest.
Carla Sokotuk
Always love a good mystery and this fell into that category.
Annie
Easy to read. Great story. Enjoyed this book.
Ebeth12001
what an excellent story!!
Anne Grimm
Good mystery book.
Terri Lynn
I am not a reader of chick lit nor "cozy" mysteries so I almost didn't listen to the suggestion to read this book because I feared it would be one or the other or both.

For those who do not know what "Annie's Attic" is, they sell crafting materials and craft kits. They even have craft clubs. I know this because I am their customer. I have always drawn, painted, and made crafts and sold all of these things as well as giving them as gifts and making them for my own home. My mother was an artist as
Danylle
If you're looking for a light, easy read with fun characters and an upbeat theme, this is the book for you. I enjoyed the characters and their stories. I enjoyed the upbeat theme about moving on after loss and heartache. I liked the story of the friendships between these women. I even liked the story revolving around their crafting projects.

However, if you're looking for a compelling mystery book, well, this book may not be that for you. I found the mystery aspect ho-hum and very - VERY - predic
Janie  R.
I really enjoy reading books that feature old Victorian houses on the cover! I love Victorian houses! This house on the cover comes with secrets to be unveiled, and with that, plenty of suspense! This author did such an excellent job in describing the atmosphere and details of this house, that I could visualize it all really well, and I felt like I was right there! My favorite character was Annie's grandmother as remembered by her family and friends.
Tommie
This book was given to me by my mom and it's been sitting on my shelf for years. I finally decided to read it because it's light reading.
It's about Annie, a woman about my age, who moves to her Grandmother's house after her G-mother passed away. She spent her summers there as a child/teenager and going back was bitter sweet.
She finds a life in this small town and makes some friends which opens up endless possibilities for her. She joins a needlework group that sets the scene for the whole story.
Judy
As a mystery, this was very lacking. I knew who the Lady in the picture was very early on in the book. But as prepared as i was to give the book a mediocre review, I ended up liking it very much. The story about a widow who returns to the town where she spent summers is very heart-warming. I liked how the characters all came together at the end to support each other. I think this story is not so much about solving a mystery as it is about friendship and when to let go. I am anxiously waiting to ...more
Michelle
This is the first of "In The Attic" series published by Guideposts. Mystery involving a newly discovered "Betsy Original Cross-stitch". Who is the woman and why did Betsy cross-stitch her when she had never to anyone's knowledge put people in her cross-stitch patterns before? Why was it hidden in the attic? Interesting tale of developing friendships and searching for clues and answers.
Deborah
Very easy going, colorful and cute mystery. More about Annie's transition in life from being mom and grandma, to finding Annie again, after the death of her husband. The Maine setting sold me, as did the crafting club and woman starring in this story. It's a non violent, gentle, very quick read-a cross between a Hallmark channel movie and a Nancy Drew book.
Amber
I absolutely loved this book! It is the 1st of 30 in a series, all by different authors, so I am looking forward to getting a chance to read the other 29-I hope that they match the quality of this book. The story catches you from the start and draws you in little by little as the ladies of the crafting group track down the scenes in the needlepoint tapestry that Annie's grandma made and try to figure out who the lady is that is pictured. I could not put it down!
Sandra
I've been searching for this book for years, and finally got it through our library, now that we've expanded and have 32 other libraries at our convenience. My sister-in-law Sue, was interested in reading it also so I surprised her with it and she's a fast reader so I knew I'd still have time to enjoy it myself before returning to the library. We both loved it, and knew there were probably other books....about 15 more, but written by other authors...kind of a joint project I assume. Anyway, we ...more
Linda Munro
Annie Dawson, whose life has become dull & routine since her husband's death, takes a trip from her Texas home to the home of her grandmother, known as Grey Gables, in Maine, where she spent countless summers during her youth. Upon arriving, she discovers a never before seen cross stitch of her grabdmothers, with scenes from days of yore, a Betsy Original.

Trying to fit in to the small community who sees her as an outsider and unravel the message left behind in the form of her grandmother's
Deliasue
This book grabbed at my heart strings. I too lost my spouse and felt like I had lost a piece of my heart, and felt at loose ends. what to do with my life.
I felt as Annie did, but having her grams estate as a distraction she soon finds a needlecraft group for company. I love crocheting and have done crossstitch in years past. I have a lot of quilt tops from my grandmother and mom and aunts, yet to be quilted. I hope to get them done before I go to leave to family members. Tara Randel keeps us in
Cathi95
(Fiction 2010) Recent widow Annie Dawson returns to her grandmother's home to deal with her estate. She had spent many happy summers here as a child, but not since she married and raised her family. Now, as a widow and with her daughter raising her own family, Annie is at a loss of what to do with her life. As she begins sorting things out, she finds an old friend from her childhood, a mystery involving a cross-stitched portrait, and a new lease on life. There is mystery, growth, friendship, and ...more
Cozy Mysteries : Anyone familiar with Annies Attic Mysteries? 36 54 Dec 18, 2014 03:45PM
  • Medals In The Attic (Annie's Attic Mysteries #2)
  • The Photo Album  (Annie's Attic Mysteries #3)
  • The Drowning Spool
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Murder by Vegetable: The Baby Quilt (Theo and Tony Abernathy Mystery, #4)
  • Murder on a Starry Night
  • Edith Head's Hollywood
  • A Little Yuletide Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #11)
  • In the Garden of Stone
  • Grounds for Murder (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #2)
  • A Vicky Hill Exclusive! (Vicky Hill, #1)
  • Train Man
  • Clam Wake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #29)
  • Ghost Hunt: Chilling Tales of the Search for the Unknown
  • Doing It at the Dixie Dew: A Mystery (Dixie Dew Mystery, #1)
  • Hero's Journey
  • Among the Ghosts
  • Margaret from Maine: A Novel
Tara Randel is the author of heartwarming romance, including Magnolia Bride, Rival Hearts, Orange Blossom Brides, Lasting Love, Melody of Love and This Time Love. Tara is also the lead author of the Annie’s Mysteries series with The Lady in the Attic (see AnniesMysteries.com).
More about Tara Randel...

Annie's Attic Mysteries (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Medals In The Attic (Annie's Attic Mysteries #2)
  • The Photo Album  (Annie's Attic Mysteries #3)
  • Letters in the Attic (Annie's Attic Mysteries #4)
  • The Package
  • The Map In The Attic
  • Rag Doll In The Attic
  • Boxed in
  • The Deed in the Attic
  • Emeralds In The Attic
  • The Wedding Dress
Rival Hearts (Quilts of Love, #19) Love Assignment, The Hidden Hearts This Time Love Lasting Love