Start by marking “Much Ado About Marriage (MacLean Curse, #6, Hurst Amulet Prequel)” as Want to Read:
Much Ado About Marriage (MacLean Curse, #6, Hurst Amulet Prequel)

Much Ado About Marriage (MacLean Curse #6)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,126 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Dear Reader,

At long last, I'm getting to fulfill a dream: completely rewriting my first book to include my beloved MacLeans. This book, an Elizabethan-set historical romance, was written under another name. I still love saucy Fia MacLean and the dashing English earl Thomas Wentworth, but as I grew as a writer I longed to tell the story as well as it deserved to be told. No
Mass Market Paperback, 365 pages
Published August 31st 2010 by Pocket Star (first published August 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Much Ado About Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Much Ado About Marriage

Sans
Dec 28, 2010 Sans rated it it was ok
Well. I managed to finish this without throwing it against the wall. It went from silly to ridiculous to ok to "Why the hell am I still reading this??" I've also come to the realization that there is nothing sexy about Elizabethan romances. When you read about the heroine grabbing the hero's codpiece, it kinda ruins the mood for me.

I did like Fia. And her cousin, Duncan (I think that was his name?). I wish there was more said about his interactions with the White Witch, but we did see the first
Laura the Highland Hussy

This is the "prequel" to the MacLean Curse series, even though it's listed as the 6th in the series-it tells about the White Witch a bit.

I enjoyed this book from the get-go. I loved Karen Hawkins' writing style, in fact I've got the rest of the series of the MacLean Curse, so I'm going to continue on. And the humor was great, the characters were fun and likeable. BUUUT there was a small part at the ending that made me so mad, I docked it a half a star!

Lady Fia is one of those incredibly
Angelc
Sep 02, 2010 Angelc rated it really liked it
Fia MacLean does not want to marry the sniveling fool that her cousin, Duncan, the Laird MacLean, wants her to wed. She only wants to go to London and find a patron for the many plays she's written. Thomas Wentworth, a wealthy, titled Englishman, was sent to get a bit of evidence from Duncan. He didn't expect to become smitten with the adventurous Fia. Thomas agrees to take Fia to London with him, not knowing who she is. But before they can leave, the Laird himself finds them in a compromising p ...more
Leah
Oct 30, 2010 Leah rated it it was ok
So, I've finally finished this book and...I didn't like it. From the book description, I really thought I was going to enjoy this book. And, while I liked the overall plotline and concept of the book, I just wasn't feeling it. The characters, while they had their good parts, all irritated me. They continually frustrated and angered me throughout the whole novel to the point that it just ruined everything else about it.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I'm not trying to say that it is a comp
Canan  ^^
Mar 17, 2012 Canan ^^ rated it really liked it
Shelves: wid
Şimdi İskoçları seviyoruz bu kesin dimi?Bende Fia karakterini oldukça sevdim..Çok neşeli,zeki bir kızdı.Thomas ise..ahh bilemiyorum Fia'nın tabiriyle yakışılıydı işte.Kıskançlık halleriyse çok tatlı Tanışma sahneleri, yaptıkları diologlar çok eğlenceliydi.Duncan ve Robert ise adeta renk kattı kitaba, ben göremedim ama umarım yazar onlarında kitaplarını yazar;)

Thomas casus olaraktan İskoçya/MacLean Kalesi'ne bir mektup aramaya gitmiş ve bazı olaylar sonucu Fia ile uygunsuz bi durumda yakalanıp Du
ilknur a.k.a. iko ◬

ya çok mutsuzum şu an, yine okuduğumu bilmediğim bir kitabı okumak isterken buldum kendimi...

asdfasdfasd
ekitap sitelerinde dolanıyordum, tanıdık geldi adı da kapağı da.
konusunu okudum yine tanıdık.
sonra kendi arşivimi açtım. bingo. 2014'te indirilmiş ve ana klasörden kaldırılmış. yani okumuşum. halbuki okumak istiyordum. üzdü.
belki tekrar okurum.

neyse kitabı karıştırdım, hatırladığım kadarıyla eğlenceliydi, bayağı güzeldi, yani kurcaladığım kadarıyla, tam hatırlamıyorum adfasdf.

historical yani n
Monica
Sep 03, 2010 Monica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
So...this book started out slow; I had to read to about page eighty or ninety until I was riveted to the pages, which was almost to my stopping limit. I am so glad I continued to read on. There are so many things I love about this book I am completely dumbfounded at where to start.

Lets start with characters! I loved the nice mix up of a Scottish lady and an English gentlemen because for some reason in Scottish historical romance it is always the other way around, I found the switch refreshing. I
HÜLYA
Feb 11, 2013 HÜLYA rated it it was amazing
Harika bir historical romandı..Yazarın ilk romanı Aşkına Talibim beni her ne kadar hayal kırıklığına uğrattıysa da yazarda yine de görmüş olduğum ışıltılar vardı..O yüzden yazara bir şans daha vermeye karar verdim...

İlk önce roman 1.Elzabeth zamanıda geçiyor onu söylemeliyim..Ülkesi için casusluk ve korsanlık yapan Thomas Wwentworth'ün kaderi Fia ile umulmadık bir zamanda karşılaştığında herşeyi altüst oldu..
Önceleri hizmetçi sandığı Fia'nın çekim alanına bir anda giren Thomas kendini umulmadık
Jules
Sep 03, 2010 Jules rated it really liked it
I really got a kick out of all of the mishaps poor Thomas suffers at the hands of the lovely Fia and her family. She is a determined young playwright who is also just a bit clueless when it comes to the real world of espionage and intrigue that Thomas is heavily involved in. Fia's devotion to her unusual animal companions is another source of amusement for the reader and extreme irritation for Thomas.

Several of the characters aside from Thomas and Fia were very interesting and believable, especi
Kristine
Sep 24, 2010 Kristine rated it really liked it
The banter between Fia and Thomas was hysterical. Fia and her fiery personality are just about Thomas' undoing--and the sexual tenstion between them engulfs them both.

They went back and forth, and I wondered if this would be the time that Karen failed to give me a HEA.

It was so fun to see where the MacLean curse came from. My only thing was that I wish I could have seen more of Duncan and the Hurst witch. Their story would be one for the ages, I'm sure! *sighs* Maybe it'll come later.

I look fo
LuvGirl
2.5 stars. This book started off great, but it ended up being a little too over the top cute. I laughed at some of the silly things in the beginning but quickly started eye rolling when the attempts at being funny went too far and took away from the book having any semblance of authenticity. I usually like books that have a little humor, but not so much that it destroys the realness of the story. I did appreciate the fact that this book took place in the 1500's though.
Bridget
Sep 02, 2010 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Reading this entertaining romance is a great way to spend a weekend. I devoured the entire thing only stopping every now and then to go to the bathroom or get something to eat. It's a must read for historical romance fans.
BecksBookPicks
Aug 27, 2010 BecksBookPicks rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. It is considered her "lost" book and boy am I glad that it came out. The chemistry in this book was awesome. I really enjoyed it!
Brandy
Aug 25, 2010 Brandy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for historical adventure and heated interactions.
Quick and dirty... I REALLY enjoyed this book. There's laughter, emotion and adventure.

I'll come back later to put my thoughts in order.
Taneeya
Sep 20, 2010 Taneeya rated it really liked it
Over all, it was a pretty quick read. I wish Thomas was made to be more loveable.
Cora
Dec 12, 2016 Cora rated it liked it
Rabia Yentür
Jan 07, 2017 Rabia Yentür rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bazı kitaplar vardır, biter ve sonunda size kocaman bir gülümse bırakır. Göğsünüze yaslar ve o dünyaya veda ettiğiniz için bir hüzün kaplasa da içinizi, mutlu sonuyla beraber siz de keyiflenirsiniz. Karen Hawkins ile bu kitap ile tanıştım. Harika bir yazar olduğunu söylememe gerek yok sanırım, anlamışsınızdır zaten. Thomas, İskoçya'ya gizli bir görev için gönderilir. Fakat hesaba katmadığı şey güzeller güzeli, asi ve ateşli bir İskoç kadınıdır.
Paranormal Romance
When the hero and heroine meets, it's at the time when she is knocking him off a window ledge and having him fall to the ground below. He is stunned and knocked senseless for a moment but awakens to see the most stunning creature leaning over him. But what goddess like beauty she possesses is match equally by stubbornness and mayhem. Both are sneaking out of the Scottish castle and in possession of stolen goods from the keep. The hero has come on a mission to retrieve important documents for his ...more
Cruth
Author: Karen Hawkins
First published: 2000 as Love Spell in One Lucky Lord by Kim Bennet. Re-published 2010.
Length: 365 pages, 4731 kindle locations.
Setting: Scotland and London, 1567. Elizabethan
Sex: Explicit. Infrequent.
Hero: Privateer
Heroine: Playwright-wannabe.
Includes: excerpt from The Prince Who Loved Me, Book 1 of The Oxenburg Princes by Karen Hawkins.

I liked it. It had nice characters and a good story and happily suited my need for a comfortable holiday read. But it has problems. Not lea
Titish A.K.
Setelah saya ingat-ingat lagi (dan cek di Goodreads), Much Ado about Marriage ini rupanya merupakan genre hisrom pertama yang saya baca. Sebelumnya saya memang tidak pernah tertarik dengan hisrom karena untuk urusan novel hhhottt saya kadung cinta dengan yang dipadukan unsur suspense ala Sandra Brown. Hisrom pertama saya ini pun sepertinya belum bisa membuat saya tertarik untuk membaca hisrom lainnya :P

Dari sisi karakter, misalnya. Heroin semacam Fia ini jelas bukan tipe favorit saya. Awalnya si
Helena
Jan 23, 2011 Helena rated it it was amazing
‘Much Ado About Marriage’ has solidified my opinion that what Karen Hawkins writes, shines like gold! This Elizabethan-era novel is an outstanding read perfectly balanced in every way: rich with colorful characters, strong females, espionage and adventures, pivotal action, sub-plots a plenty and enough dialogue and humor to fortify against forbidding times and the extreme English and Scottish settings.
This book- the first she ever wrote - unfolds the tale of her beloved MacLean clan, setting the
Lady Rogue
Sep 06, 2010 Lady Rogue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May Mostly Romance
Oct 11, 2012 May Mostly Romance rated it it was ok
Meliana
May 14, 2014 Meliana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saat menjalankan sebuah misi, Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Rotherwood, tak sengaja terjatuh diakibatkan seorang gadis yang tiba-tiba membuka jendela tepat dimana ia sedang memanjat. Thomas yang dikenal sebagai pria paling beruntung di Inggris, ternyata tak seberuntung itu ketika ia datang ke Skotlandia dan bertemu dengan Fia MacLean beserta peliharaan gadis itu. Rencana meloloskan diri Thomas gagal total dan Thomas pun tertangkap oleh Duncan MacLean, sepupu Fia.
Fia tidak ingin menikah dan ingin men
Kimberly
Jun 10, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-r...

Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Rotherwood, is considered the luckiest man in all of England. He doesn’t feel too lucky, however, when he’s sent to Scotland on a mission for Walsingham to steal a letter and finds himself knocked out of a window and robbed by an uppity young woman who so happens to be the cousin of the laird whose castle Thomas was sneaking into.

Fia MacLean might just be the unluckiest woman in Scotl
April
Oct 02, 2010 April rated it it was amazing
MUCH ADO ABOUT MARRIAGE by Karen Hawkins is a historical romance set in 1567 Scotland and London.Is a prequel to MacLean Curse series and the Hurst Amulet series. It is well written with details, depth, page turner, and fast paced. It has wit, humor, drama, romance, sensuality, passion, sexual tension,Scottish lore, touch of fantasy, shady dealings, sassy dialog,
espionage, suspense and mistrust. The hero, Thomas, is dark, tall, an English spy, wealthy, fearless, handsome, strong,the Queen's favo
Fira Rosli
Oct 02, 2011 Fira Rosli rated it really liked it
I have always loved Karen Hawkins writing. She never fails to make me fall in love with her characters, such in this case, Thomas and his very charming close friend, Robert.

Reading the first few lines of the story got me hooked up instantly and damn, couldn't I be anymore happier reading a book from one of my favorite author who has such fine and impeccable writing. And a great storyteller! Not to mention that before this, I've read quite a handful of boring and stupid book, mind you. I won't m
Esther
Apr 10, 2014 Esther rated it liked it
why did i choose this book for my bookshelf was because of i wanted to try another author. and apparently i wasn't lucky at this time. i didn't know if the translation was bad or the book was really annoying. The hero Thomas, wasn't my fave hero ( even though Fia said Thomas was a deadly handsome, dazzling and so on ) and Lady Fia MacLean was a quiet attractive heroine, actually but she was too weak when confronted with Thomas.

at the part Thomas mis-understood and accused Fia about something sh
Tami
May 12, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
So we learn more about the MacLean curse and how it started. Though I don't see Duncan's temper to be THAT bad. I very much liked Duncan MacLean's character. But still we learn of the amulet and how it ended up where it did.

I really enjoyed this story. The characters were great. I love Thomas and Robert. They're too funny. Robert with Fia is the funniest. Especially when he is teaching her how to properly curtsey. haha.. Fia is a strong woman who isn't afraid to reach for what she wants. Even i
Shan ~ A ~
Jan 04, 2013 Shan ~ A ~ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I bow down to Ms. Karen Hawkins. I can't remember the last time I actually started a book and didn't stop until the end. I was totally engrossed from start to finish.

From the moment Fia knocked Thomas off the window ledge I was hooked. I love everything about the story from our hero and heroine, who I just mentioned, to the secondary characters(Duncan, Robert, and Mary). Most of the time I sat around with a goofy grin on my face when I wasn't laughing out loud. When I am reading with the "goofy
  • The Devil Wears Plaid
  • A Scotsman in Love
  • Highlander Ever After: Fantasy Romance (Nvengaria Book 3)
  • Healing the Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #7)
  • Tamed by a Laird (Galloway Trilogy, #1)
  • Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)
  • Sins of a Highland Devil (Highland Warriors, #1)
  • Don't Bargain with the Devil (School for Heiresses, #5)
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
  • Highlander for the Holidays (Pine Creek Highlanders, #8)
  • The Scottish Witch (The Chattan Curse, #2)
  • In Bed with the Duke (Governess Brides, #9)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • To Tempt a Scotsman (Somerhart, #1)
New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Karen Hawkins is known for her wonderfully humorous and emotion-tugging historical and contemporary romances. The author of over 30 novels, Karen writes for a living between shopping for shoes, playing around on Facebook and Pinterest, looking for fun items for Hawkins Manor, and napping, although usually not at the same time. Sometimes, for fun, sh ...more
More about Karen Hawkins...

MacLean Curse (6 books)
  • How to Abduct a Highland Lord (MacLean Curse, #1)
  • To Scotland, With Love (MacLean Curse, #2)
  • To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3)
  • Sleepless in Scotland (MacLean Curse, #4)
  • The Laird Who Loved Me (MacLean Curse, #5)

“If sarcasm were gold, she would have just made her fortune.” 5 likes
“Stop that! What were you doing, perched on the window ledge like a big chicken?"
Despite his aches and irritations, he couldn't help but grin. "I prefer to think of myself as a more noble bird, like a hawk."
"I'm sure you do. But you flew like a chicken than any hawk I've seen.”
2 likes