Start by marking “Kidnapped at Birth?” as Want to Read:
Kidnapped at Birth?

Kidnapped at Birth? (Marvin Redpost #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,239 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Illus. in black-and-white. Marvin Redpost has finally figured out why he doesn't look like anyone in his family. He's not really Marvin Redpost--he's Robert, the lost prince of Shampoon!
Published July 28th 1992 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Kidnapped at Birth?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kidnapped at Birth?

Joseph S
Mar 06, 2011 Joseph S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvin Redpost Kidnapped at birth was an amazing thrill ride. The book was amazing, because it had everything a reader wants in a book. It had comedy suspense and over all it was just an awesome book. If I had to rate it I would give it a solid 9 because it was an amazing book , but some parts in the book weren't real interesting.
My favorite part was when Marvin called the King of Shampoon and the call attendant picked up the phone and she said her name was "Jennifer Duchess of Bathwater". I t
Reed S
Jan 10, 2013 Reed S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently finished reading Kidnapped at birth By: Louis Sachar. I really like this book because its a mystery in a way because he is trying to find out if he's the lost prince of Shampoon. Its also very funny because he stretches the truth alot and convinces his teachers, class mates, family and parents that he should be treated like a prince because he thinks he is. I think that the author did a good job with the detail and that also another reason I really like this book. I think that everybo ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Son read aloud to me as his reader. This was his very first proper chapter book with one b/w drawing per chapter.

At a reading level of 1.9, this was a very good choice for my son's first chapter book. He did very well with the reading and was not intimidated with the full pages of text or infrequent b/w drawings. I have never read a Marvin Redpost book before and thought it was a fun story of a boy who reads in the paper that a King is coming to town searching for his lost so
Abduraafi Andrian
He was the one and only Marvin Redpost. He was a good boy.

Bahasanya mudah dimengerti. Cocok untuk anak-anak 7-11 tahun. Dengan ilustrasi khas tahun 90an, membuat buku ini terkesan antik.

Marvin memang berbeda dari kedua orangtuanya, dan kakak-adiknya. Mereka berambut dan bermata coklat, tapi Marvin berambut merah dan bermata biru. Seperti Pangeran Robert yang hilang, anak dari Raja Shampoon.

Marvin berpikir mungkin dia bukan anak keluarga Redpost. Mungkin dialah Pangeran Robert yang dicari-cari it
Yumi Learner
Mar 27, 2015 Yumi Learner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 7th Book Review This Year

I just finished my 7th book, Marvin Redpost 1 this year in English. I realized that I am 4 books behind schedule.

The book was really easy for me to read, but the story was interesting. Marvin is third grade student and thinking that he was kidnapped at birth. He has believed that he was a prince.

The funny part of this book was his family and friends pretended to believe that he was a prince. Nobody didn't say that he wasn't a prince to Marvin. The great thing was he
Em
Sep 02, 2011 Em rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 6-8 yr olds
My daughter borrowed this book at the library and left it on the dining room table today so I had a quick read with a cuppa!

I thought it was a great book for kids - it is accessible and funny, Marvin is a likeable character, who is left handed and writes too fast (much like my daughter!) I found the interactions with his school friends and family tp be authentic and made me smile.

The book is good choice for young readers who're ready for longer, chapter books as the humourous story and dialog i
Carol
I bought the Marvin Redpost series because I love reading the hilarious Wayside School books.

Marvin was born with red hair, which is same as the lost son of the royal family. When many kids in the US. rush to try the blood test, Marvin refuses as he knows it's best for him to stay with his own family.

An easy reading. Yet somewhat boring.
Bonnie
Jan 25, 2016 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Sachar, Louis, and Neal Hughes. Marvin Redpost. Kidnapped at Birth? New York: Random House, 1992. Print.
Summary: Marvin Redpost doesn 19t look anything like anyone else in his family. He has red hair and blue eyes. Everyone else has brown hair and brown eyes. Then he reads a newspaper article about the King of Shampoon whose son was kidnapped. His son has red hair and blue eyes. Marvin begins to believe that he is adopted. Maybe his parents are the kidnappers. He and his friends are sure that he
Dani Butler
Feb 23, 2008 Dani Butler rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children (ages 7-11)
Recommended to Dani by: probably a teacher or something
Shelves: childhood
Yomaris
Riho Uto
Oct 07, 2012 Riho Uto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-Random House, level1.8
-Time:10/1=48min 10/2=13min
-7words summary:Marvin-delusion-kidnapped-royal-recall-family-back
-Discussion question:
1.What would you do if your friends say"I were kidnapped!"?
Maybe, she or he is crazy. I think kidnaping is a unusual thing for us. I would listen definitely reasons from her or him.
2.Finally, Marvin remembered that he was taken care by mother. Did you bother to your family? What was it?
Yes, I did. When I was a n elementary school student, I was broken my leg. F
megkens
Mar 26, 2013 megkens rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: second-grade
So fun! My class loves the Marvin Redpost series, and Louis Sachar has a knack for understanding how kids brains work. This book is an L, but would be excellent for early 3rd grade readers as well. Marvin is so relatable, with a dry wit and sense of humor. This book is a perfect choice to teach character change and motivation, a big push at the second grade level. Most of the chapters are suspenseful, and the kids went crazy at the twist(ish) ending. My guided reading group was very invested in ...more
Dolly
Apr 28, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the first book in the Marvin Redpost series. It is an entertaining story about a young boy who is convinced that he is the long-lost heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Shampoon.

The story is a bit silly, but it shows how much we love our families, whether we are born of our parents or adopted by them. The protagonist of the tale, Marvin Redpost, has a vivid imagination and even goes so far as to disassociate himself with his family, but in the end, he makes the decision that is right f
Nina
Feb 24, 2011 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
What a fun book! Even if it took me less than 30 minutes to read it, I still thought it was very entertaining. Marvin Redpost, a boy who doesn't look like the rest of his family, is convinced that he's the lost Prince Robert since he has red hair, blue eyes and is left-handed!

We see him telling his family and friends that he really is the lost prince and even sets up an appointment for a blood test! When breaking the news to his family, we see his parents play along. I was disappointed by the en
Tam Tam
I borrowed this book via overdrive from my library. I got it on the kindle. I was expecting a longer novel. This must have been about "40 pages" if I had to guess.

The story itself was interesting and I wish the book had been longer. But again I guess it's not aimed toward my age group!

I also thought it ended quite abruptly. It didn't seem to tie itself up too well. I mean, it did, but it also didn't.

But since this is the first in a series of books, I wonder if this story will still flow throug
Shuhei Ota
Sep 26, 2012 Shuhei Ota rated it really liked it

It took me 60 minutes to read.
Seven words summery: -birth- kidnapped- hair- eye - family- king - test
Discussion Question:
Q1. Do you believe that he is real son of King?
A: Yes, the color of his eyes and hair are different from his parent. However, the Kind has same color of them.
Q2. If you were King's son, would you start your life as a prince with him?
A: No, I want to live with my parent even if I had the blood of King because they have raised me until now. I appreciate them.
Comment: Such a
Barney
Jan 04, 2009 Barney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvin Redpost thinks that he belongs to another family. He thinks that he is the son of King Robert. He infers that his parents took the wrong baby home in the hospital. He though that he belonged to King Robert because there was a news that King Robert's son was gone. So King Robert opened a DNA test to see if his son was with another family. Many kids from all over town came to the DNA test. All the kids that tried had a different DNA. When it was Marvin's turn to take his DNA test, he refuse ...more
Moeko Matsuo
Oct 14, 2012 Moeko Matsuo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-Random House level 2
-Time: 10/14 = 60 minutes
-7-word summary: royal-kidnapped-baby-test-prince-family-sorry
-Discussion questions:
1.In this story, the main character was a prince actually! If you notice that you are actually prince of princess, are you going to go back to royal home?
Maybe not, because I like my present family. I don't want to leave my home.
2.If you are said by someone that you are actually prince of princess, do you believe it?
No, I don't. I don't think I'm really princess. But
Beth
Sep 24, 2015 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Louis Sachar books. This series is fun to read and boys who are reluctant readers would love it. Marvin is a funny character who lives with a normal family in a grey house with a white fence all around it except for one read fence post. His family are sweet and his best friends always stick up for Marvin and join in with his crazy ideas. I will read the rest in the series as they are quick and easy reads which remind me of the Amber Brown books by Paula Danziger.
Monique
May 20, 2012 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Aughhhh!!! The cliff hanger at the end of the book is amazing. Even though this is probably for a younger audience, it was hilariously funny, with good moral story. I really want to know if the King ever does find his son. What I also want to know is if the parents are really the parents. I mean, it is possible that the grandparents had red hair or their parents had red hair, so I really want to know more. Short read. Very short. finished in like, half an hour.
Ayaka Tamakoshi
Jul 15, 2013 Ayaka Tamakoshi rated it really liked it
-Random House,RL:1.8
-Time:07/15=60minutes
-7-word summary
boy/different/kidnapped/King/same/family/back
-Discussion question:
Q:If you were kidnapped at birth and when you understood the truth,would you bo back to your real family?
A:No,I wouldn't. Actually,this is a difficult question. But,I'm sure that I respect my parents and appreciate it.

I enjoyed reading this book! It was interesting! I was surpried at the end. I thought that I want to read this series.
Yusuke Sato
Sep 22, 2012 Yusuke Sato rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
7word
boy king lost prince blood test mistake

Question
If you are king, what do you want to do?
I want to do get my way. I want to relax.

DO you want to live in castle?
NO, because castle is very big. If I live in castle, I often tierd just walk in casle.

I enjoyed to reading this book. If the boy is prince, he wants to be prince? He wants to prince that mean is he will live apart from his parents. I can think another story. It is necessity that I can improve my thinking power.

CaroleHeidi
I skipped ahead and read the rest of this before Tori did. It was enjoyable and an easy read (for me, Tori is struggling with the Americanisms a little) but I did find the ending a bit of a cop-out. I guess it was just setting up for the rest of the series but I won't be going out and hunting down the next book unless Tori wants it.

I will wait and see what Tori thinks of the ending when she gets there.
Stacey
Dec 13, 2014 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben (age 7): I liked it but I would like to see (view spoiler) The rest of the book was really good though.
Anoushka G.
Sep 15, 2013 Anoushka G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvin Redpost thinks he is the lost,long son of a great king when he hears it on the news. Everything about him matched the description of the king's son and soon he is convinced that he is the king's son. But when he goes to the last round he realizes that he doesn't have the same accent as the king and therefore cannot be his son and really is Marvin Redpost and nothing can change that.
Steph
Feb 20, 2016 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read and it's really cute. I honestly laughed out loud a few times. :-) Not sure that the kids in my library are going to actually be able to read into some of the humor but I still think they'd enjoy Marvin Redpost, especially if we replace our outdated copies with the newer design. Adorable!
Sylvia
Aug 13, 2015 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What kid hasn't thought that they were adopted or switched at birth? Well, in the case of Mervin Redpost it very well may be true.
A wonderful story of a boy who very well might be the long lost Prince Robert and the emotions and decisions he must make. To be a prince or not to be a prince?

A good read for kids who feel out of sync with their family.
Kristine Hansen
Sep 13, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-book
Finally, an easy book that boys will enjoy! This was a fun story - a boy who thinks he might be a missing prince, kidnapped at birth and the lengths he goes to in order to prove it. The conclusion is unexpected and leaves you wondering.

Overall a good story and one I would recommend for your young readers. I'll read the next in the series. :)
Barbara
Mar 21, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my second grade class, and they really enjoyed it. It is funny, interesting, and imaginative. The only part my students didn't like that much was the ending. However, they went to the school library when I finished and many of them checked out some of the other Marvin Redpost books by Louis Sachar, so I know it ignited their enthusiasm.
Afnan Aldimasi
Feb 13, 2012 Afnan Aldimasi rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Not my level of reading at all but the title and cover greatly caught my attention! I really liked it because it wasn't as predictable as I expected but turned out to be plot twisted. It is obviously meant for younger readers though.
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • Great-Grandpa's in the Litter Box (The Zack Files #1)
  • Sprite's Secret (Pixie Tricks, #1)
  • Moonsilver (The Unicorn's Secret, #1)
  • The Case of the Missing Family (The Buddy Files, #3)
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • Only Emma
  • Amber Brown Sees Red
  • Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1)
  • Class Trip to the Cave of Doom (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #3)
  • Thanksgiving Turkey Trouble (Ready, Freddy!, #15)
  • The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Heather, Belle of the Ball (Magic Attic Club, #7)
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • Mrs. Dole Is Out of Control! (My Weird School Daze, #1)
  • The Emperor of Absurdia
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...

Marvin Redpost (8 books)
  • Marvin Redpost: Why Pick on Me?
  • Marvin Redpost: Is He a Girl? (Marvin Redpost, #3)
  • Alone in His Teacher's House
  • Class President
  • Flying Birthday Cake?
  • Super Fast, Out of Control!
  • A Magic Crystal? (Marvin Redpost)