Start by marking “A Town Like Paris: Falling In Love In The City Of Light” as Want to Read:
A Town Like Paris: Falling In Love In The City Of Light

A Town Like Paris: Falling In Love In The City Of Light

At the age of twenty-eight, stuck in a dead-end job in London, and on the run from a broken heart, Bryce Corbett takes a job in Paris, home of "l'amour" and "la vie boheme"; he is determined to make the city his own--no matter how many bottles of Bordeaux it takes. He rents an apartment in Le Marais, the heart of the city's gay district, hardly the ideal place for a guy ho ...more
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Town Like Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Town Like Paris

Lizanne
Aug 06, 2011 Lizanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
I was so irritated by the condescending and self-important writing in this book, not to mention its dreadful lack of structure (it is a series of lazy, over-written yet underdeveloped essays) and its endless cliches. It is an exercise in turning a book supposedly about a magical city into a shrine to the author's ego and narcissism. Thoroughly unpleasant reading experience.
Clare
Feb 23, 2009 Clare rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to lie: I'll read pretty much anything about Paris. If, say, Rush Limbaugh or Andrew Dice Clay wrote a book about living in Paris, I'd probably read it. (Maybe.) So even though I got the impression that Bryce Corbett was not the sort of person I'd ever want to hang out with in real life, I was nonetheless semi-enchanted by his account of life in Paris. Had one of my favorite cities not been the backdrop, however, I'm not sure if reading about an endless stream of drunken nights wit ...more
Christine Brennen-leigh
I've read a lot of books like this, foreigner coming to live in Paris. Funnily enough, a lot of them were Australians, as is this author. Bryce Corbett writes about French customs with a lot of humour while still managing to remain respectful of the differences. He certainly makes you want to move there and partake of the 35 hour week, hour long lunch that is paid for by the government, and long vacations weeks.

Being an expatriate in Paris has it's ups and downs, but when you end up with a fanta
Jacquie South
Jan 24, 2013 Jacquie South rated it it was ok
This started off with promise, and I was looking forward to reading a book set in modern day Paris, and what it's like living there, as an Australian. I was somewhat disappointed. Corbett was quite an unlikable character, completely full of himself and a whinger to boot. He seemed to genuinely enjoy Paris, and goes into raptures constantly about how wonderful and beautiful it is, but then complains consistanly about French people. He heads back to Australia at one stage, full of the greatness of ...more
Mary
Aug 24, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, 2014
A Town Like Paris is a city profile crossed with a memoir that is hilarious and engaging. Corbett's commentary is constantly self-deprecating, witty, and a lot of fun. His writing style reminded me of Bill Bryson -- except with less historical information and more pop culture references. The majority of the chapters in the book functioned as stand-alone essays about a particular topic or situation in Paris. It wasn't until the end of A Town Like Paris that a more narrative story line was followe ...more
Lizanne
Aug 06, 2011 Lizanne rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Linda
Jul 29, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unless you are interested in the intimate details of the author's self-absorbed life, this book is a bore. Although the title suggests the book is about Paris, it offers no insight on the city. I suggest you skip this one.
Stacey Peters
Apr 23, 2010 Stacey Peters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Parisiens are apparently hard on Aussie expats! On a whim, the author moves to Paris and tries his best to assimilate into French life and concludes its tres impossible. Outsiders can't get in. It was a fun read, which is the saving grace for this book because the author writes very, very well. Some of it reads like prose, so beautiful I reread some passages out loud. And in other places, I laughed out loud. You get a sense of a few neighborhoods including the Marais, but little else in the way ...more
Lori
This book was about a Aussie bachelor who unfortunately wrote about his wild lifestyle that I don't want to read (the reason for "2 stars"). I was only interested in how he lived and deal with a French country through his job, government, food, housing problems (like plumbing and how no one will come asap and he was forced to take showers else where, that's how things get done very slowly) and just enjoying living in Paris. It was funny regarding the problems he has to deal with but there are sw ...more
Annie
Aug 26, 2008 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bryce Corbett's tale of his Parisian existence is rather amusing... mostly because of the fact that it takes place in Paris and that he is rather witty and interesting. I really enjoyed reading this book because of its Parisian slice-of-life quality, though I could have done very well without Corbett's habit of using the same "choice" words too frequently. He has a penchant for the words: bemused, proffered, prophylactic, aversion, among others.

Also, I would have preferred that he spare us from
Katie
May 09, 2010 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark
Jun 21, 2008 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This semi-nonfiction smart-alecky story from a former gossip columnnist is not the sort of book I'd normally read or enjoy. My wife reads everything David Sedaris writes, plus some David Rakoff & Augustin Burrows. I like hearing about the funnier stories, but I don't read them myself.

In fact, I picked up A Town Like Paris as a gift for her, but then I decided to read it myself. It was only because we both went there on vacation last March that I got a good kick out of it. Funny Paris observa
Irving
Feb 05, 2014 Irving rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began to read this book prior to my trip to Paris in July 2013. It was worth dipping the toe into the many stories and quips about the City of Light prior to my departure, and it still resonates now having completed it. Once you've been to Paris, you know within that there is nothing like it, nowhere in the world. The book does a great job of highlighting some of the many neighborhoods and customs of Paris' society. It is a funny and compelling look at Paris by someone who never intended in st ...more
Rebecca
Nov 28, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Corbett's story is a good read but lacks re-read quality. I understand that it's about his experiences, but you can get drunk and laid anywhere in the world and his circle of friends was wholly made up, (with one exception) of ex pats. Not really too many insider tips on France per se (even a dunce knows that customer service is nonexistent in France and that they protest at the drop of a hat) but what he does include is interesting and written in a witty fashion. It's more about Corbett than Pa ...more
Sam
It's a fast read and mildly amusing, but it didn't so much capture the mood of Paris, as chronicle how he liked to party and drink; got a case of the crabs; formed a rock band on the side; and dated a show girl. All this stuff could've happened anywhere. Yes, he sprinkled some passages that hinted at what it's like to live in Paris, but that all seemed incidental to his partying. Heck, except for one token Frenchman, his circle of friends was composed of ex-pats! I was expecting something more l ...more
Catherine
I liked this book but definitely didn't love it. Some chapters were more interesting than others. I could have done without many of his bachelor stories, which are all too common and could have happened anywhere. I felt the title was a little misleading. His "falling in love" doesn't happen until much later in the book. Or perhaps I missed the point. The writing felt a little bland, not expressing much emotion, funny or otherwise. For this type of genre, I would recommend "Almost French" by Sara ...more
Debra
My copy of the book with this ISBN was actually titled A Town Like Paris : Falling in Love with the City of Light.

Bryce Corbett interviewed for a job in Paris as a lark -- and was flabbergasted to actually get it. In this book he chronicles the life of an Australian ex-pat by way of London. It is fun, breezy, and ultimately unsatisfying. Like a meringue, there is nothing to it. Like a meringue, you won't care too much because of the enjoyment. At least until you realize you need more.
Diane Raitanen
It was fun to enter the life of a young Aussie bachelor living it up in Paris. I enjoyed his sense of humour, however, some parts stretched believability. I found his descriptions of people condescending and sometimes annoying. You did get a feeling that he felt his world was far superior to that of any reader. The cultural differences were hilarious, as were his encounters with his friends' pets. I didn't like the chapters on rock band at all. Overall an enjoyable read.
Susanne
Although I enjoyed this book as a whole, I think a lot of the reason is due to the fact that I'm Australian and can understand where the author is coming from. At times though it's almost too Australian, to the extent where it seems like it might not make as much sense to other nationalities. The writing is engaging, can be very funny and moving at times, but in depth chapters on pets don't really seem necessary to the story of living and finding love in Paris.
Lisa Urso
May 25, 2008 Lisa Urso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for something light but not too fluffy to read. This fulfilled both of my requirements. Corbett definitely has a sense of humor.

As someone who once studied abroad in Paris, I found Corbett's descriptions of the city to be spot-on. I felt as if I was walking through the city with him.

The only time that the book kind of dragged was when he wrote about courting the Showgirl. Still, he was courting a Lido showgirl, and that alone made for some interesting reading.
Alyson
May 19, 2015 Alyson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the beginning of this memoir and liked Bryce's style of writing but quickly became tired of how much me, me, me was in the book. He was also quite derogatory about the French whom he insisted on calling 'Frenchies' throughout. Whilst he appeared to make some efforts to assimilate in his new environment he couldn't cope with cultural differences and ended up mixing mostly with expats and fellow Australians.
Jennie
Jan 27, 2014 Jennie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a difficult book to rate. While the writing was really good, the author was so unlikable that it made it tiresome, at times, to get through. A narcissist who bragged about his exploits throughout the book, his life seemed pretty pathetic, using substances to justify his immature behavior. I gave it 3* mainly because I can't resist a book about Paris & find something to enjoy, even when written by someone like the author.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 16, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, france
Australian Bryce Corbett somehow finds himself in the most bewitching, the most bewildering of towns, Paris. He bungles his way through working at his new job, finding an apartment, going to the doctor, visiting the gym, and trying (desperately) to find a girlfriend.

A quick, funny read for all of us who can’t get enough of the exploits of those who try to take on the City of Light.
Rosemary
Feb 28, 2011 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it. This book is lovely and descriptive it really conveys the atmosphere of Paris. If you enjoyed this book I'd recomend you read Corbett's wife Shay Stafford's book Memoirs of A showgirl which tells her side of their relationship which is another fantastic book about an Australian expat in Paris.
Amanda
Jan 30, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this on an Anthropologie sale shelf and bought it because I had a few remaining dollars to spend on a gift card. I didn't have high hopes, but it actually wasn't bad. A little long-winded and repetitive at times, but definitely made me laugh out loud a few times. And now I want to visit Paris!
Virginia Van
Jan 24, 2016 Virginia Van rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
28 year old Australian Bryce Corbett takes a job in Paris, even though he doesn't speak French. He quickly embraces his new culture, and, when he eventually embraces a Paris show girl as well, he realizes their adopted city has become home. A lively and funny book that effectively evokes the charms of Paris life.
Michelle
Jul 11, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I confess that I bought this book just because I liked the cover (plus I like novels that take place in France for some reason...). Anyway, it was really entertaining! It makes me want to plan a trip to Paris ASAP!!
Danie P.
Aug 07, 2009 Danie P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Australian moves to Paris after answering to a job add placed in the Economist. Being underqualified he none the less wins the job finds and apartment and gets involved with a Paris showgirl. A quick summer read for those who love Parisian novels.
Raquel
Oct 31, 2010 Raquel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked and hated this book at the same time. There were funny stories but it often felt like I was reading a 200+ page brag book by a self-confessed narcissist. But Bryce writes well, even when irritating and overly pompous.
Meredith
While books about time in Paris number in the hundreds if not thousands, this is unusual in so much as it is written by an Australian man. His interpretation of the French Femme Fatale is rather amusing and for francophiles, it is a refreshing perspective on our beloved city..
  • French By Heart: An American Family's Adventures in La Belle France
  • Words in a French Life: Lessons in Love and Language from the South of France
  • My French Life
  • French Toast: An American in Paris Celebrates the Maddening Mysteries of the French
  • A Corner in the Marais: Memoir of a Paris Neighborhood
  • Paris to the Past: Traveling through French History by Train
  • Remembrance of Things Paris: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet (Modern Library Food)
  • Petite Anglaise
  • Paris, Paris: Journey into the City of Light
  • Pardon My French: Unleash Your Inner Gaul
  • Paris: The Secret History
  • From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant
  • Immoveable Feast: A Paris Christmas
  • Paris Was Ours
  • Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong
  • All You Need to Be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women
  • Metro Stop Paris: An Underground History of the City of Light