A Town Like Paris: Falling In Love In The City Of Light

A Town Like Paris: Falling In Love In The City Of Light

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  62 reviews
At the age of twenty-eight, stuck in a dead-end job in London, and on the run from a broken heart, Bryce Corbett takes a job in Paris, home of "l'amour" and "la vie boheme"; he is determined to make the city his own--no matter how many bottles of Bordeaux it takes. He rents an apartment in Le Marais, the heart of the city's gay district, hardly the ideal place for a guy ho...more
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Town Like Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Town Like Paris

Lizanne
Aug 06, 2011 Lizanne rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
I was so irritated by the condescending and self-important writing in this book, not to mention its dreadful lack of structure (it is a series of lazy, over-written yet underdeveloped essays) and its endless cliches. It is an exercise in turning a book supposedly about a magical city into a shrine to the author's ego and narcissism. Thoroughly unpleasant reading experience.
Jacquie South
This started off with promise, and I was looking forward to reading a book set in modern day Paris, and what it's like living there, as an Australian. I was somewhat disappointed. Corbett was quite an unlikable character, completely full of himself and a whinger to boot. He seemed to genuinely enjoy Paris, and goes into raptures constantly about how wonderful and beautiful it is, but then complains consistanly about French people. He heads back to Australia at one stage, full of the greatness of...more
Clare
I'm not going to lie: I'll read pretty much anything about Paris. If, say, Rush Limbaugh or Andrew Dice Clay wrote a book about living in Paris, I'd probably read it. (Maybe.) So even though I got the impression that Bryce Corbett was not the sort of person I'd ever want to hang out with in real life, I was nonetheless semi-enchanted by his account of life in Paris. Had one of my favorite cities not been the backdrop, however, I'm not sure if reading about an endless stream of drunken nights wit...more
Christine Brennen-leigh
I've read a lot of books like this, foreigner coming to live in Paris. Funnily enough, a lot of them were Australians, as is this author. Bryce Corbett writes about French customs with a lot of humour while still managing to remain respectful of the differences. He certainly makes you want to move there and partake of the 35 hour week, hour long lunch that is paid for by the government, and long vacations weeks.

Being an expatriate in Paris has it's ups and downs, but when you end up with a fanta...more
Mary
A Town Like Paris is a city profile crossed with a memoir that is hilarious and engaging. Corbett's commentary is constantly self-deprecating, witty, and a lot of fun. His writing style reminded me of Bill Bryson -- except with less historical information and more pop culture references. The majority of the chapters in the book functioned as stand-alone essays about a particular topic or situation in Paris. It wasn't until the end of A Town Like Paris that a more narrative story line was followe...more
Lizanne
Aug 06, 2011 Lizanne rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody
Julie
yuck.only read if you care about a white male from Australia's take on living in Paris. Boring. He ends up marrying a show girl. The only funny thing in this book was the author's observations on the faux bohemians sleeping at Shakespeare & Co.
Linda
Unless you are interested in the intimate details of the author's self-absorbed life, this book is a bore. Although the title suggests the book is about Paris, it offers no insight on the city. I suggest you skip this one.
Stacey Peters
Parisiens are apparently hard on Aussie expats! On a whim, the author moves to Paris and tries his best to assimilate into French life and concludes its tres impossible. Outsiders can't get in. It was a fun read, which is the saving grace for this book because the author writes very, very well. Some of it reads like prose, so beautiful I reread some passages out loud. And in other places, I laughed out loud. You get a sense of a few neighborhoods including the Marais, but little else in the way...more
Katie
Lori
This book was about a Aussie bachelor who unfortunately wrote about his wild lifestyle that I don't want to read (the reason for "2 stars"). I was only interested in how he lived and deal with a French country through his job, government, food, housing problems (like plumbing and how no one will come asap and he was forced to take showers else where, that's how things get done very slowly) and just enjoying living in Paris. It was funny regarding the problems he has to deal with but there are sw...more
Annie
Bryce Corbett's tale of his Parisian existence is rather amusing... mostly because of the fact that it takes place in Paris and that he is rather witty and interesting. I really enjoyed reading this book because of its Parisian slice-of-life quality, though I could have done very well without Corbett's habit of using the same "choice" words too frequently. He has a penchant for the words: bemused, proffered, prophylactic, aversion, among others.

Also, I would have preferred that he spare us from...more
Jennie
This was a difficult book to rate. While the writing was really good, the author was so unlikable that it made it tiresome, at times, to get through. A narcissist who bragged about his exploits throughout the book, his life seemed pretty pathetic, using substances to justify his immature behavior. I gave it 3* mainly because I can't resist a book about Paris & find something to enjoy, even when written by someone like the author.
Hyden
The writer is an obnoxious character spreading his noxious gases over every page, the fetid fumes of which will rot your brain and transform into a bitter outlook the formerly rosy view of travel, Paris, the French, Australians, and everything on Earth.

Avoid with gusto.
Irving
I began to read this book prior to my trip to Paris in July 2013. It was worth dipping the toe into the many stories and quips about the City of Light prior to my departure, and it still resonates now having completed it. Once you've been to Paris, you know within that there is nothing like it, nowhere in the world. The book does a great job of highlighting some of the many neighborhoods and customs of Paris' society. It is a funny and compelling look at Paris by someone who never intended in st...more
Mark
This semi-nonfiction smart-alecky story from a former gossip columnnist is not the sort of book I'd normally read or enjoy. My wife reads everything David Sedaris writes, plus some David Rakoff & Augustin Burrows. I like hearing about the funnier stories, but I don't read them myself.

In fact, I picked up A Town Like Paris as a gift for her, but then I decided to read it myself. It was only because we both went there on vacation last March that I got a good kick out of it. Funny Paris observa...more
Sam
It's a fast read and mildly amusing, but it didn't so much capture the mood of Paris, as chronicle how he liked to party and drink; got a case of the crabs; formed a rock band on the side; and dated a show girl. All this stuff could've happened anywhere. Yes, he sprinkled some passages that hinted at what it's like to live in Paris, but that all seemed incidental to his partying. Heck, except for one token Frenchman, his circle of friends was composed of ex-pats! I was expecting something more l...more
Catherine
I liked this book but definitely didn't love it. Some chapters were more interesting than others. I could have done without many of his bachelor stories, which are all too common and could have happened anywhere. I felt the title was a little misleading. His "falling in love" doesn't happen until much later in the book. Or perhaps I missed the point. The writing felt a little bland, not expressing much emotion, funny or otherwise. For this type of genre, I would recommend "Almost French" by Sara...more
Rebecca
Corbett's story is a good read but lacks re-read quality. I understand that it's about his experiences, but you can get drunk and laid anywhere in the world and his circle of friends was wholly made up, (with one exception) of ex pats. Not really too many insider tips on France per se (even a dunce knows that customer service is nonexistent in France and that they protest at the drop of a hat) but what he does include is interesting and written in a witty fashion. It's more about Corbett than Pa...more
Lisa Urso
I was looking for something light but not too fluffy to read. This fulfilled both of my requirements. Corbett definitely has a sense of humor.

As someone who once studied abroad in Paris, I found Corbett's descriptions of the city to be spot-on. I felt as if I was walking through the city with him.

The only time that the book kind of dragged was when he wrote about courting the Showgirl. Still, he was courting a Lido showgirl, and that alone made for some interesting reading.
Debra
My copy of the book with this ISBN was actually titled A Town Like Paris : Falling in Love with the City of Light.

Bryce Corbett interviewed for a job in Paris as a lark -- and was flabbergasted to actually get it. In this book he chronicles the life of an Australian ex-pat by way of London. It is fun, breezy, and ultimately unsatisfying. Like a meringue, there is nothing to it. Like a meringue, you won't care too much because of the enjoyment. At least until you realize you need more.
Susanne
Although I enjoyed this book as a whole, I think a lot of the reason is due to the fact that I'm Australian and can understand where the author is coming from. At times though it's almost too Australian, to the extent where it seems like it might not make as much sense to other nationalities. The writing is engaging, can be very funny and moving at times, but in depth chapters on pets don't really seem necessary to the story of living and finding love in Paris.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Australian Bryce Corbett somehow finds himself in the most bewitching, the most bewildering of towns, Paris. He bungles his way through working at his new job, finding an apartment, going to the doctor, visiting the gym, and trying (desperately) to find a girlfriend.

A quick, funny read for all of us who can’t get enough of the exploits of those who try to take on the City of Light.
Rosemary
Really enjoyed it. This book is lovely and descriptive it really conveys the atmosphere of Paris. If you enjoyed this book I'd recomend you read Corbett's wife Shay Stafford's book Memoirs of A showgirl which tells her side of their relationship which is another fantastic book about an Australian expat in Paris.
Amanda
I found this on an Anthropologie sale shelf and bought it because I had a few remaining dollars to spend on a gift card. I didn't have high hopes, but it actually wasn't bad. A little long-winded and repetitive at times, but definitely made me laugh out loud a few times. And now I want to visit Paris!
Maggie Hall
I liked this guy's writing style and humor. Learned more about scooters and showgirls than I had expected, but very funny bit about the inner workings of Parisian immigration/visa procedure. Brought back a lot of memories from our trip to Paris and made me want to return sooner than later.
Kara
Aug 23, 2010 Kara rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one I know
I learned a few interesting things about Paris and the French, but mostly the author was self-indulgent and was more interested in writing about himself, his drunken exploits, and chasing girls than writing about Paris. Dissappointing; would not recommend. Giving away to Good Will.
Eric Q
With my love affair with Paris in full tilt boogie, this was a nice read. Nice writing style, like you are sitting at a cafe or bar with him and he's telling you his story of Paris. Nice observations, sentimental without being cheesy. Looking forward to see if he writes any more books.
Meredith
While books about time in Paris number in the hundreds if not thousands, this is unusual in so much as it is written by an Australian man. His interpretation of the French Femme Fatale is rather amusing and for francophiles, it is a refreshing perspective on our beloved city..
Emma
By far the BEST travel memoir I have read...This book is a delight! A real laugh out loud - embarrass yourself on the train in front of other passengers experience. It's written by an Aussie so it's easy to relate to the way he sees and experiences Paris. A gem of a read!
  • Words in a French Life: Lessons in Love and Language from the South of France
  • My French Life
  • Paris, Paris: Journey into the City of Light
  • Tout Sweet: Hanging Up My High Heels For A New Life In Rural France
  • The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrian in Paris
  • Petite Anglaise
  • French By Heart: An American Family's Adventures in La Belle France
  • All You Need to Be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women
  • Paris: The Secret History
  • Foreign Tongue: A Novel of Life and Love in Paris
  • I'll Never Be French (no matter what I do): Living in a Small Village in Brittany
  • Paris: The Biography of a City
  • A Pig in Provence: Good Food and Simple Pleasures in the South of France
  • Paris to the Past: Traveling through French History by Train
  • From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant
  • French Toast: An American in Paris Celebrates the Maddening Mysteries of the French
  • C'est la Vie: An American Woman Begins a New Life in Paris and--Voila!--Becomes Almost French
  • Pardon My French: Unleash Your Inner Gaul
A Town Like Paris A Town Like Paris: Living and loving in the city of light Town Like Paris, A: Falling in Love in the City of Light