Start by marking “Prairie” as Want to Read:
Prairie
read book* *Different edition

Prairie (The Leatherstocking Tales #5)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  757 ratings  ·  39 reviews
"The Prairie" finds James Fenimore Cooper's heroic frontiersman, Natty Bumppo, near the end of his adventurous life. But even at "eighty seasons," Natty stands "a little remarkable," as Cooper describes him. Natty's sinewy build allows him to carry his heavy rifle with an ease that promises he still knows how to use it. And when someone needs to reason with the Indians, Na ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Alan Rodgers Books (first published 1825)

To ask other readers questions about Prairie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prairie

Sarah C
I take it Fenimore was not so familiar with this landscape as his descriptions of the prairie, to me, didn't convince. Natty, now a very old man, is the fittest 80/90 year old man in existence. Still, it was a good story and for me quite emotional at the end as our hero has become "my friend" over all the five books of the leather-stocking series. Very corny in places and sometimes predictable but I shall miss reading about his adventures. I have really enjoyed this series of books, at times the ...more
Gena Lott
The first book I read by Cooper and I certainly took things out of order. It took a while for me to get into Cooper's stride. But the book is deep and rich, though parts are haunting. I must read some of his other books. I consider his work some that any "well read" person should have purused!
Mark Oppenlander
Fabian
Analyze the shit outta any of these classics and you are bound to discover the golden nugget that someone somewhere once found and classified as such. Not the case with this, the last of the Leatherstocking tales, one not for modern readers. At all.

Campfire philosophy is perhaps the least interesting aspect of this tale (the opposite case of, say, the superlative "Lonesome Dove") which is about 200 years old… and by setting all players on leveled, even ground (Shakespeare’s plays are often quote
Ross
This book is simply awful. It was written in the 1820's about the far west of which the author knew nothing. Of course he was writing for an audience that also knew nothing of the far west.
The book starts with the characters camped on the west bank of the Missouri River and the next day they reach the Rocky Mountains pulling their wagon by hand. The quality of the prose is childish and the story line is absurd.
This book came out shortly after "The Last of the Mohicans" which I read as a child 6
Michael Roy
Worth a read

Not quite at the same level as The Last of the Mohicans, but satisfying overall, as it tells the last years of Leatherstocking. it is also an interesting description of the move westward across the prairies. with examples of both positive and negative interactions between whites and natives.
Shannon Moore
Apr 10, 2007 Shannon Moore rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Long-winded Men
Is it worth the reams of boring and roundabout discussions to get to the epic battle between the good settlers, the bad settlers, the good Indians, and the bad Indians? Yes. Yes it is. I suppose you could just cut to that part but you would have no idea who anyone is and would not hate Ishmael the way you should. You would also miss out on some cool historical references about the white settlement of the American West. And you would miss the flotsam and jetsom of people as they hide from each ot ...more
Aaron Cance
If one can read books promiscuously, as I was reassured in graduate school that one could, I read all five of the books in this series like a complete whore, giving myself entirely over to the story - loved all five. A word of caution, however: They were written in a different order than the chronology of the narrative. Imagine my disappointment at the Deerslayer's death at the end of the third book out of five.

The order that the author produced them:

The Pioneers
Last of the Mohicans
The Prairie
T
Tahca
I loved this book ,however, I found that at times it dragged on a little too far. But other than that its plot, characters , and description were amazing!
Patrick Walsh
In The Writer's Almanac for 15th September 2013, the writers noted the birthday anniversary of James Fenimore Cooper, the author of the series known as the Leatherstocking Tales. The comment was made that Cooper made the "wild, untamed America seem romantic." Having read the entire series, I can understand that comment as it applies to some of the storytelling, but I find the notion that the fourth and fifth novels in the series (in historical order, not order of writing) are romantic to be at o ...more
D. Fackelman
An outstanding finish to The Leatherstocking Tales.
Michael
Lindsey
I read most of this book for a class earlier in the semester, but I didn't have a chance to finish it until today. Yes, Cooper can be longwinded, but for the most part I found the descriptions beautiful, and I was surprised by how involved I became in the plot. Also, since this is the final book in the Leatherstocking series, Natty's character is quite old, which makes him more humble and less obnoxious than he is in the Deerslayer (at least from what Brian has told me). Overall, a thoroughly en ...more
Data
Hawkeye rules forever! Cooper is once again the master of action, with some soliloquy that rivals the bard. You can find a wide range of truths in this novel, with some wise comment on human nature and the environment. It's worth wading through the prose of the time to get a darn good story, and realize that logical thinking has always given good answers on a lot of subjects. A little slow to get into it, but I couldn't put it down by the end.
Tessa
2.5 I'm done! Cooper is long winded. He's a better storyteller than Brockton Brown, but holy cow, get to the point. It didn't help that I was behind the reading schedule for class and was constantly trying to catch up.

Influential contribution to American literature, but it in no way compels me to read more of Cooper. Good discussions in class about it.

I did like the portrayal of Ishmael and Mahtoree.
Melodee
Aug 28, 2008 Melodee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys reading adventures
Shelves: misc
This book continued the Leatherstocking Tales series. It tells the story of a man who loves the wilderness, and fights against the progress of "civilization." He befriends certain Indians, and fights with others, then goes his own way. I won't spoil the ending for anyone who wishes to read it, but it is sad. I enjoyed this book, and look forward to reading the next installment.
Kendra
Another book club pick. Almost exactly what I expected. Quite lovely in parts, unbearably tedious in others, with dialogue that makes you want to tear your hair out (if real frontiers-people were this long-winded, they all would have been dead before finishing a sentence). Still, entertaining to a certain degree.
Peter Wolfley
There's a reason James Fenimore Cooper is no longer read and it almost all has to do with the fact that he takes 500 pages to tell you a story he could have told in 150. It was good to get at least one of his books under my belt because he was a big deal in 19th century America.
Michelle
I didn't love it, even after talking about it in my English class. The characters were flat. The action scenes not exciting enough. There is some value, but I don't think it is Cooper's best work. Plus, it needed a good editor. It is a good example of early American literature.
Fredrick Danysh
The closing work of the series featuring Natty Bumppo. Seeking solitude on the Great Plains, he is drawn back to society through interaction with an emigrant group. Once again he comes into conlict with civilization.
J. Alfred
American Romance at its most unabashed. It is pretty unbelievable that anyone, at any time, was ever able to think seriously of a hero named 'Natty Bumppo,' but heck, if it works it works, I guess.
Jim
Though Cooper has been blamed for creating the concept of the Noble Red Man. I liked his books because I could lose myself in his descriptions of his characters and scenes.
Amber
Feb 03, 2009 Amber is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I was pretty bored with this book and attempted to read it several times over two years and never made it. One day I might try again.
Benkurtwilson
After reading this book you can summarize the entire plot in about ten sentences; very wordy. There are some nice moments, however.
Julie
I don't love historical novels much so not one of my personal favorites. I had to read it to graduate, so glad I did it!
John
This was ok but I was disappointed , thinking of the last of the mohichans . Nothing special about it at all.
Natalie Ethington
I enjoy this author but not as much this book. There was one character that I found particularly obnoxious!
Shane Van Cleve
This is the last in the series of the Leatherstocking tales. This is by far one of the best series I've ever read.
Andrew
Haven't read Last of the Mohicans in a while, but I thought this was better than the other 3.
  • Kenilworth
  • The Sea-Wolf and Selected Stories
  • The History of Pendennis: His Fortunes & Misfortunes, His Friends & His Greatest Enemy
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Osceola the Seminole: The Red Fawn of the Flower Land
  • New Orleans Sketches
  • American Notes For General Circulation
  • Humorous Stories and Sketches
  • The Virginian: A Horseman of the Plains
  • Winnetou I: Kepala Suku Apache
  • Dick Sands the Boy Captain (The Extraordinary Voyages #17)
  • The Country Doctor
  • At the Foot of the Rainbow
  • Hobomok & Other Writings on Indians by Lydia Maria Child
  • The Rise of Silas Lapham (Penguin Classics)
  • Redburn
James Fenimore Cooper was a popular and prolific American writer. He is best known for his historical novel The Last of the Mohicans, one of the Leatherstocking Tales stories, and he also wrote political fiction, maritime fiction, travelogues, and essays on the American politics of the time. His daughter Susan Fenimore Cooper was also a writer.

Series:
* The Leatherstocking Tales
* The Littlepage Man
More about James Fenimore Cooper...
The Last of the Mohicans (The Leatherstocking Tales #2) The Deerslayer (The Leatherstocking Tales, #1) The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales, #3) The Pioneers The Spy

“The air, the water, and the ground are free gifts to man, and no one has the power to portion them out in parcels. Man must drink, breath, and walk - and therefore each has a right to his share of earth.” 2 likes
“It is the fate of all things to ripen, and then to decay.” 2 likes