Start by marking “My Pride and Joy: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:
My Pride and Joy: An Autobiography

My Pride and Joy: An Autobiography

In "Born Free" Joy Adamson told the story of how she and her, husband George raised Elas from a cub then returned her to the Kenyan wild, and the world was amazed and charmed. Now George tells the rest of the story.
Published December 31st 1987 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 22nd 1986)

To ask other readers questions about My Pride and Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Pride and Joy

Kristy Pitchford
Mar 06, 2013 Kristy Pitchford rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love George Adamson and have read all his books and watched the documentaries. His story made a life changing decision for me....to become a wildlife Vet and conservationist. His work is admired and inspiring. I can't recommend this book enough...all of them by him. It's a shame how he dies, but he did so a happily-accomplished man that took pride in his work, which still lives on. I know for sure he impacted my heart and my life. I love the dedication he gave, all the way to the ve ...more
Meli
Aug 06, 2011 Meli rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book by George Adamson describing his lifes story. From being born in India, schooled In England and moving to Kenya with his brother and of course meeting Joy. His descriptions off his life at Kora is beautiful and I get the impression he was a really lovely and genuine man
Skigirl
Oct 16, 2010 Skigirl rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Tells of his life as well as the stories of Born Free (as it happened as well as the making of the movie) and Christian the lion. Also some great safari tales.
Darren
Apr 21, 2012 Darren rated it it was amazing
A Great book by a great man
Linn Marie
Oct 30, 2012 Linn Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
A fascinating and touching tale about a man and his lions.
Sharonh
Jul 24, 2011 Sharonh rated it it was amazing
Covering 80 years of George Adamson's life - his 2nd autobiography. Well worth the read!!
Joe Rodeck
Aug 12, 2016 Joe Rodeck rated it liked it
George Adamson might have taken a back seat to the famous, Woman-Who-Lives-With-Lions, Joy Adamson. It's mostly all about George.

The good: Well-illustrated, incl sections of color plates. Lots of interesting passages about different animals in Kenya: rhinos, hippos, leopards, cheetahs.

Tough realism. He doesn't slip into romanticism or sentimentality. Excellent on the rough sides of living in Africa.

The bad: The story is more or less over after the filming of "Born Free," but there's still half a
Valerie
This is a terrible pun, of course, since George Adamson was the widower of Joy Adamson. You'd think he, of all people, would recognize that he was TEACHING lions to live in the wild; after all, if Elsa had had any 'instincts' for hunting, the story wouldn't've happened at all, since Elsa wouldn't've walked upwind of a family of elephants.

I'm not sure if all editions of this book were published posthumously. The edition I read ended with an account of George Adamson's death, and it's worth readin
Suanne
Apr 22, 2012 Suanne rated it liked it
Shelves: safari, memoir
Bwana Game is George Adamson's memoir of his early life with Elsa and Joy Adamson. Could have been better edited. His second book, My Pride and Joy, is quite repetitive of incidents in Bwana Game, but better written. He is quite gentlemanly regarding the collapse of his marriage to Joy Adams.
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Gunner
Gunner rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
Reea
Reea rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Lyra
Lyra rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2013
tami burden
tami burden rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
naomi gustafspm
naomi gustafspm rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Laura rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2013
Rafiki
Rafiki rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2009
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2017
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2011
Liz Harris
Liz Harris rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Lannoua
Lannoua rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2011
Kris
Kris rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Terri Church
Terri Church rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2011
ZoraNorka
ZoraNorka rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Edrie
Edrie rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Emily Stanford
Emily Stanford rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2013
Cheri
Cheri rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2013
Gina Watson-Haley
Gina Watson-Haley rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Eye of the Elephant: An Epic Adventure in the African Wilderness
  • Forever Free: Elsa's Pride (Story of Elsa, #3)
  • Elephants on the Edge: What Animals Teach Us about Humanity
  • The Elephant's Secret Sense: The Hidden Life of the Wild Herds of Africa
  • How to Walk a Puma: And Other Things I Learned While Stumbling through South America
  • Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa
  • De stille zonde (Paul Vegter #1)
  • Among the Elephants
  • Through Our Eyes Only?: The Search for Animal Consciousness
  • Irreconcilable Differences
  • Wildlife Wars: My Fight to Save Africa's Natural Treasures
  • Clicking with Your Dog: Step-By-Step in Pictures
George Adamson, the "Baba ya Simba" ("Father of Lions") of Africa, was one of the founding fathers of wildlife conservation and an author. He and his wife Joy Adamson are best known through the book and film Born Free, which is based on the true story of Elsa, an orphaned lioness cub they raised and later released into the wild.

Adamson first visited Kenya in 1924. After a series of adventures, whi
More about George Adamson...