A Lesson for Martin Luther King Jr.

A Lesson for Martin Luther King Jr.

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  6 reviews

Level 2: Reading Independently

- More complex stories
- Varied sentence structure
- Paragraphs and short chapters

Published December 2nd 2003 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 2003)

Cheryl
Not sure what lessons a second grader would internalize from this very sad story of how a white child's parents stopped him from playing with a black child (Martin Luther King).

My concern is that this book is for seven year olds and I feel it is unbalanced in its focus on the negative.

Here is where I'm coming from on this:
I have few illusions about this being a perfect world. As a parent, I learned not to trust a stranger to discuss topics like this appropriately with my very young children. M...more
Dolly
Jan 22, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is a short story for beginning readers that gives an account of an episode in Martin Luther King Jr.'s childhood. The narrative is easy to read and the illustrations are colorful and expressive with a textured appearance. We read this book in honor of Dr. King's birthday and we enjoyed learning more about an event in his early life that helped to shape the great man he became.

interesting quote:

"You may have lost a friend today. But I want you to remember that friendship has no color, Marti...more
Denesha Allen
Because Martin Luther King Jr. is a very important and legendary figure, this book is a must have in many classrooms. It's an easy read for students starting at first grade and up. This book fosters valuable information and the illustrations are beautiful.Young readers are introduced to segregation, Jim Crow laws, King's incarceration, protests, speeches and the events the led up to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This book also has a glossary in the back to help with difficult words.
Codie Gates
Young Martin Luther King Jr. is having some problems with his best friend, Bobby. First, they are going to different schools this year. Next, Bobby's dad is not letting his son play with Martin. When Martin learns why, he is confused and hurt -- but he learns a lesson that he will never forget.

Another great book to use during February and Black History Month.
Marilyn
Cool story about losing a friend because friend's dad said he couldn't play with Martin anymore (because of the color of his skin). Good discussion about treating people differently because of how they look, etc.
Suz
An easily understood story of an episode in Martin's childhood. A good starting point for a lesson on Dr. King that will appeal to younger students.
Danilsa Encarnacion
Danilsa Encarnacion marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Deborah Waring
Deborah Waring marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Heejin
Heejin marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Luap Rebaf
Luap Rebaf marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2012
Katie Sargent
Katie Sargent marked it as to-read
May 15, 2012
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2012
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2010
Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2) Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4) Cécile's Gift (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #6) The Car Washing Street A Matter of Souls