Fire City

Fire City

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Twenty-five years ago the world changed forever. A great war, which had raged for three years ended, and the reign of the Demons began...

Within the crumbling walls of Fire City, fifteen-year-old Martha is a member of the resistance, a small band of humans fighting for freedom in a lawless and horrifying new world. Amidst the chaos of battle arrives Jonah, a handsome strang...more
Published August 30th 2012 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about Fire City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire City

Adriel
My first Bali Rai read, received as a proof. An interesting read set in an England (presumably whole world) that has been taken over by demons. It has a slow start, but gets better as it goes along. Some ideas are a bit vague or not believable, but Rai has set up a fascinating world.
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
This review was originally posted on my blog on 18th September, here

The Demons Arrive
As soon as I heard about Fire City, I was instantly intrigued and simply had to get my hands on a copy. I am so glad that this intrigued ended up with me reading a great book that I would easily recommend to others. It was the first Bali Rai book that I have ever read so that fact that it is his first dystopian did not phase me. It was so easy to read and the style made me know why so many others have loved his...more
Ettie Kirkpatrick-Tice
This is NOT the Hunger Games. Not at all. For a start, it's fantasy. It's just one book. But it is still as good, if not better. It's different, more post-apocolyptic than dysotopian, considering the cause of the world downfall is demons.

Perfect for anyone who wants something else to read other than The Hunger Games or Divergent.
Charlotte Cutler
I could barely put this book down all the way through, it was an amazing read however I was disappointed by the ending. I would be interested in a sequel with more about the future of Fire City.
Rebecca
Amazing book! Thoroughly enjoyed it and it has a great plot, wonderful characters and really gets you pulled into the story line.

Really enjoyed it for a future novel where humans and demons had joined together to rule the world with a few humans offering resistance against them all.

Enjoyed it so much
Stephanie
Whilst clearly aimed at a teenager audience (the hero and heroine are about sixteen years old), this post-apocalyptic fantasy is gritty enough for adults too. The author is uncompromising in his depictions of the brutality of life after the demons arrive. The violence isn't gratuitous, but there is quite a bit of it; characters die with some regularity. It is an unflinching look at the struggle for survival when humans are no longer at the top of the food chain.
Owen
Bali Rai writes yet another wonderful, thought-provokibg book of astonishing imagination. In a world were demons rule there is a small resistance in Fire City a working area fir the Unwanted (people who are not rich and live in poverty). An unlikley member of this resistance is a 15 year old girl named Martha a girl who works at a bar and is the step daughter of the Mayor. When a hlf demon half human boy comes along tgings change. Forever........
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
I have a deep affection for his work.
I'll admit, I'm a little anxious with him heading into Dystopian territory.
Plus, it has a guy named JONAH.
Instant WIN (!!)
Please blow me away :)

Update: just not doing it for me right now. after a 100 pages or so have decided to give something else a go :/. might come back to this later.

-----------------

honestly, i don't think i have ever tried so hard to get through a book.
very fucking annoying.
Joe Birch
A great book, I read this and the graphic novel version, which was pretty cool. But this was my first Bali Rai read. An interesting read set in an England (presumably whole world) that has been taken over by demons. It has a slow start, but gets better as it goes along. Some ideas are a bit vague or not believable, but Rai has set up a fascinating world.
Martha Bowsher
He comes into our school and this was the first book by him I have ever read and so Farr its amazing and I'll definitely read more of his books. I can't wait to read more of his books and The more I read this one the more I want to read it!
Ronette
A very good "post apocalyptic-ish", dystopian type of story It would be very nice if this book would have a sequel though. I want to know what happens to Martha and Jonah!
Kirsty (overflowing library)
Jun 19, 2014 Kirsty (overflowing library) marked it as did-not-finish
Lovely ideas but not in the right mood at the moment for it. May come back to later
E.r.johnhotmail.co.uk
gripping. pretty easy reading for something with an ace storyline
Ange
A pretty awesome book! I definitely would recommend it
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Jul 17, 2014
Chloe Orme
Chloe Orme marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Eba
Eba marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Carolyn Craggs
Carolyn Craggs marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Courtney Robinson
Courtney Robinson marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bali Rai was born in 1971 and grew up in Leicester. As a child, Bali wanted to be a footballer or to write stories. Always an avid reader, he hails Sue Townsend, Douglas Adams and Robert Swindells as his writing heroes. Bali grew up reading Dr Seuss and Meg and Mog and his first book purchase was The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. He realised he wasn't good enough to play for Liverpool F.C. and...more
More about Bali Rai...