Start by marking “Owls Aren't Wise & Bats Aren't Blind: A Naturalist Debunks Our Favorite Fallacies About Wildlife” as Want to Read:

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Did you know that "flying" squirrels are incapable of true flight? Were you aware that opossums don't "play dead," as in the common folk saying "playing possum"? In this fascinating and gorgeously illustrated new book, wildlife expert and enthusiast Warner Shedd, former executive for the National Wildlife Federation, uncovers the scientific realities obscured by our numero ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Crown (first published June 27th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Owls Aren't Wise & Bats Aren't Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owls Aren't Wise & Bats Aren't Blind

Suzanne Watkins
Amusing book! I learned a lot of really great things about common animals, and now have some points of random trivia. However, there are some of the "myths" that he mentioned that I had never heard of before, and I feel like he maybe made them up so he could divulge some more information about that animal. Some of the animal chapters has must more than I wanted to hear, or much less. Still, a fun read.
Emily
Read this for work.

I was unfamiliar with at least half of the myths presented in this book. The use of myths seemed like a weak vehicle for writing short life histories of the mammals and amphibians presented in this book. This book is appropriate for an general audience being introduced to these species.

I could have done without the personal stories about wildlife observations.
Tippy Jackson
This was fun. Learned some cool new facts. I felt like sometimes they were cheating a little. For example, one of the debunked myths is that opossums play dead. They do essentially appear to be dead for a would be predator. However, the author notes that they are not "playing" dead, in that it is not a conscious action and not an active attempt at deception. So okay, he's right, but that's not the main point of the common use of the "myth." It's more just getting nit-picky with the language, whi ...more
Stephen
It’s funny that such a little thing should be such a distraction, especially something as small as an exclamation point!!! But where was the editor on this project? I have read book after book and never come across a single exclamation point! Guess what? They are all in this book! After awhile the very sight of one made me moan! There must be one per page!

Otherwise, the book is filled with useful, fun information! It debunks a lot of old folk wisdom! Example: I have worked with owls for years;
Castiron
A very readable introduction to a wide variety of U.S. wildlife. The details about the various animals' life cycles, diets, activities, environment, and so forth was interesting, and Shedd also talks about things we *don't* know about particular animals.

My only complaint about this book is that there are parts where Shedd conflates "common sight in New England" with "common sight in the U.S." I've never seen a beaver's dam that I can recall, for example, because I've never lived in the northern
Linda
As a wildlife lover and a voracious reader of books about wildlife, I already knew that most of the myths listed at the beginning of the chapter are truly myths. The book is very engaging just the same. Although the book confirms much of what I know, there was still much to discover, like that beavers are often flattened and killed by the very trees they're trying to fell and that coy-dog lines die out quickly because the introduction of the dog genes throw procreation out of whack by introducin ...more
Chris Meads
Since I am an avid outdoor and nature nut, I really liked this book. It is informative as well as a bit humorous. The author has many tales to tell that happened not only to himself but to others also.

Each chapter deals with a particular animal such as the bat, the cougar, whitetail deer and salamander. Each lists the myths about each critter and why they aren't true. Some of these myths have been around for a long time so there is the question of how they got started, while others come about be
Jessie
This is one of the books that me and my mom read together when I was little. I know that seems strange, especially since I was the one who longed to read it. I was very into animals (still am) and was always reading animal encyclopedias so no matter how strange it seems for a six-year-old to read this book, I enjoyed it.
Amy
Most of these myths I already knew weren't true, or had never heard of. However, that didn't stop this book from being exceptionally engaging and informative. Lots of information about the species all around me: deer, rodents, squirrels, owls: love it!
Lynda Gross
I live in a very rural area. I appreciated the personal experiences and the information. I now know why I find golf balls in the meadow and on the forest floor. Great book full of information of lots of animals I have seen and made assumptions about.
Vasha7
This book has a completely delightful style, both informative and anecdotal. I sometimes dip into it when I need cheering up. With great pictures by Trudy Nicholson, too.
Lauren
Mediocre naturalist book. Maybe I'm just over it because none of it was new information, and it's not a particularly good version of the same old thing.
Julie R
Interesting, simple read about fun animal facts. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys learning about wildlife.
Michael Powell
Many interesting facts about wildlife, delivered in a style not particularly to my liking
Ami
Kind of dry but I learned a few things, and the drawings were gorgeous.
Anne
Very good introduction to those of us ignoramuses out there!
Robert
Read it the first time on 5/6/14.
Jeremy
Great one for debunking nature myths.
Amy
Amy is currently reading it
May 02, 2015
Sanne Lynam
Sanne Lynam marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Bondboy
Bondboy marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Rachael
Rachael is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Haley
Haley is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Feb 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
  • The Octopus and the Orangutan: New Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity
  • Winter World
  • Eels: An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish
  • Out of Eden: An Odyssey of Ecological Invasion
  • Appointments at the Ends of the World: Memoirs of a Wildlife Veterinarian
  • The Wolf in the Parlor: The Eternal Connection between Humans and Dogs
  • Bitten: True Medical Stories of Bites and Stings
  • For Love of Insects
  • The Wisdom of Donkeys: Finding Tranquility in a Chaotic World
  • Ghosts of Tsavo: Stalking the Mystery Lions of East Africa
  • Beautiful Minds: The Parallel Lives of Great Apes and Dolphins
  • A Spring without Bees: How Colony Collapse Disorder Has Endangered Our Food Supply
  • An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World
  • How to Build a Dinosaur: Extinction Doesn't Have to Be Forever
  • Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
  • The Tapir's Morning Bath: Mysteries of the Tropical Rain Forest and the Scientists Who Are Trying to Solve Them
  • Poseidon's Steed: The Story of Seahorses, from Myth to Reality
Owls arent wise and bats arent blind The Kids' Wildlife Book: Exploring Animal Worlds Through Indoor/Outdoor Experiences