Start by marking “Owls Aren't Wise & Bats Aren't Blind: A Naturalist Debunks Our Favorite Fallacies About Wildlife” as Want to Read:

Did you know that "flying" squirrels are incapable of true flight? Were you aware that opossums don't "play dead," as in the common folk saying "playing possum"? In this fascinating and gorgeously illustrated new book, wildlife expert and enthusiast Warner Shedd, former executive for the National Wildlife Federation, uncovers the scientific realities obscured by our numero ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Crown (first published June 27th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Owls Aren't Wise & Bats Aren't Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owls Aren't Wise & Bats Aren't Blind

Linda
Aug 05, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a wildlife lover and a voracious reader of books about wildlife, I already knew that most of the myths listed at the beginning of the chapter are truly myths. The book is very engaging just the same. Although the book confirms much of what I know, there was still much to discover, like that beavers are often flattened and killed by the very trees they're trying to fell and that coy-dog lines die out quickly because the introduction of the dog genes throw procreation out of whack by introducin ...more
Chris Meads
Apr 20, 2014 Chris Meads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, wildlife
Since I am an avid outdoor and nature nut, I really liked this book. It is informative as well as a bit humorous. The author has many tales to tell that happened not only to himself but to others also.

Each chapter deals with a particular animal such as the bat, the cougar, whitetail deer and salamander. Each lists the myths about each critter and why they aren't true. Some of these myths have been around for a long time so there is the question of how they got started, while others come about be
Suzanne Watkins
Amusing book! I learned a lot of really great things about common animals, and now have some points of random trivia. However, there are some of the "myths" that he mentioned that I had never heard of before, and I feel like he maybe made them up so he could divulge some more information about that animal. Some of the animal chapters has must more than I wanted to hear, or much less. Still, a fun read.
Emily
May 30, 2011 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this for work.

I was unfamiliar with at least half of the myths presented in this book. The use of myths seemed like a weak vehicle for writing short life histories of the mammals and amphibians presented in this book. This book is appropriate for an general audience being introduced to these species.

I could have done without the personal stories about wildlife observations.
Deidre
May 10, 2017 Deidre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and debunks a lot of animals myths, but would have preferred more engaging prose style.
Tippy Jackson
This was fun. Learned some cool new facts. I felt like sometimes they were cheating a little. For example, one of the debunked myths is that opossums play dead. They do essentially appear to be dead for a would be predator. However, the author notes that they are not "playing" dead, in that it is not a conscious action and not an active attempt at deception. So okay, he's right, but that's not the main point of the common use of the "myth." It's more just getting nit-picky with the language, whi ...more
Stephen
It’s funny that such a little thing should be such a distraction, especially something as small as an exclamation point!!! But where was the editor on this project? I have read book after book and never come across a single exclamation point! Guess what? They are all in this book! After awhile the very sight of one made me moan! There must be one per page!

Otherwise, the book is filled with useful, fun information! It debunks a lot of old folk wisdom! Example: I have worked with owls for years;
Castiron
Jul 21, 2010 Castiron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-checkout
A very readable introduction to a wide variety of U.S. wildlife. The details about the various animals' life cycles, diets, activities, environment, and so forth was interesting, and Shedd also talks about things we *don't* know about particular animals.

My only complaint about this book is that there are parts where Shedd conflates "common sight in New England" with "common sight in the U.S." I've never seen a beaver's dam that I can recall, for example, because I've never lived in the northern
Amy
May 02, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was both informative and entertaining. It took me a while to finish because I wanted to read a chapter or two and digest them and then come back to the book. Otherwise I thought the information was too overwhelming. I found the facts in this book interesting and the antidotes related by the author both informative and amusing. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading material on wildlife and nature.
Ashley
Apr 24, 2016 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
NC
Own in hardback.

FS: "The path that led to this book began with an instinctive fascination with wildlife, evident even when I was very young."

LS: "Nonetheless, we may well witness the return of relatively large herds of these great, shaggy, magnificent beasts - the quintessential North American mammal - grazing as in centuries past."
Sacha
May 21, 2015 Sacha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. I would like to do some further myth busting. I was especially annoyed with the bear chapter. Mr Shed states that bears have poor eyesight. This is a common misconception. He also makes no mention of elk and claims that the whitetail deer is the most iconic member of the deer family. He's obviously never spent time in the west. Disappointing overall.
Jessie
Aug 12, 2011 Jessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books that me and my mom read together when I was little. I know that seems strange, especially since I was the one who longed to read it. I was very into animals (still am) and was always reading animal encyclopedias so no matter how strange it seems for a six-year-old to read this book, I enjoyed it.
Lynda Gross
Nov 28, 2012 Lynda Gross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I live in a very rural area. I appreciated the personal experiences and the information. I now know why I find golf balls in the meadow and on the forest floor. Great book full of information of lots of animals I have seen and made assumptions about.
Amy
Jun 14, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfict, animals
Most of these myths I already knew weren't true, or had never heard of. However, that didn't stop this book from being exceptionally engaging and informative. Lots of information about the species all around me: deer, rodents, squirrels, owls: love it!
Robert
Apr 09, 2014 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it the first time on 5/6/14.
Ami
Jan 10, 2013 Ami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish, 2013
Kind of dry but I learned a few things, and the drawings were gorgeous.
Jeremy
Jul 04, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great one for debunking nature myths.
Lauren
Jan 07, 2010 Lauren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mediocre naturalist book. Maybe I'm just over it because none of it was new information, and it's not a particularly good version of the same old thing.
Anne
Very good introduction to those of us ignoramuses out there!
Julie R
Apr 16, 2010 Julie R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, simple read about fun animal facts. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys learning about wildlife.
Amy Sawyer
Feb 14, 2016 Amy Sawyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read for the average person looking to learn more. Enjoyed the sprinkling of anecdotes provided by the author.
Vasha7
May 28, 2011 Vasha7 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has a completely delightful style, both informative and anecdotal. I sometimes dip into it when I need cheering up. With great pictures by Trudy Nicholson, too.
Ka Muccilli
Ka Muccilli rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
C.T.
C.T. rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Pauline
Pauline rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2017
David
David rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Marie
Marie rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2017
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
  • Appointments at the Ends of the World: Memoirs of a Wildlife Veterinarian
  • Forbidden Creatures: Inside the World of Animal Smuggling and Exotic Pets
  • The Wisdom of Donkeys: Finding Tranquility in a Chaotic World
  • The Parrot's Lament, and Other True Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity
  • Bitten: True Medical Stories of Bites and Stings
  • The Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior
  • Swimming with Piranhas at Feeding Time: My Life Doing Dumb Stuff with Animals
  • Wild America: The Record of a 30,000 Mile Journey Around the Continent by a Distinguished Naturalist and His British Colleague
  • Volcano Cowboys: The Rocky Evolution of a Dangerous Science
  • Brain Games for Dogs: Fun Ways to Build a Strong Bond with Your Dog and Provide It with Vital Mental Stimulation
  • Dogs and the Women Who Love Them: Extraordinary True Stories of Loyalty, Healing, and Inspiration
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
  • Shell Games: Rogues, Smugglers, and the Hunt for Nature's Bounty
  • Winter World: The Ingenuity of Animal Survival
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
  • How to Scratch a Wombat: Where to Find It . . . What to Feed It . . . Why It Sleeps All Day
  • Hiss and Tell