Start by marking “Owls Aren't Wise & Bats Aren't Blind: A Naturalist Debunks Our Favorite Fallacies About Wildlife” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Did you know that "flying" squirrels are incapable of true flight? Were you aware that opossums don't "play dead," as in the common folk saying "playing possum"? In this fascinating and gorgeously illustrated new book, wildlife expert and enthusiast Warner Shedd, former executive for the National Wildlife Federation, uncovers the scientific realities obscured by our numero ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Crown (first published June 27th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Owls Aren't Wise & Bats Aren't Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owls Aren't Wise & Bats Aren't Blind

Suzanne Watkins
Amusing book! I learned a lot of really great things about common animals, and now have some points of random trivia. However, there are some of the "myths" that he mentioned that I had never heard of before, and I feel like he maybe made them up so he could divulge some more information about that animal. Some of the animal chapters has must more than I wanted to hear, or much less. Still, a fun read.
Read this for work.

I was unfamiliar with at least half of the myths presented in this book. The use of myths seemed like a weak vehicle for writing short life histories of the mammals and amphibians presented in this book. This book is appropriate for an general audience being introduced to these species.

I could have done without the personal stories about wildlife observations.
Tippy Jackson
This was fun. Learned some cool new facts. I felt like sometimes they were cheating a little. For example, one of the debunked myths is that opossums play dead. They do essentially appear to be dead for a would be predator. However, the author notes that they are not "playing" dead, in that it is not a conscious action and not an active attempt at deception. So okay, he's right, but that's not the main point of the common use of the "myth." It's more just getting nit-picky with the language, whi ...more
It’s funny that such a little thing should be such a distraction, especially something as small as an exclamation point!!! But where was the editor on this project? I have read book after book and never come across a single exclamation point! Guess what? They are all in this book! After awhile the very sight of one made me moan! There must be one per page!

Otherwise, the book is filled with useful, fun information! It debunks a lot of old folk wisdom! Example: I have worked with owls for years;
A very readable introduction to a wide variety of U.S. wildlife. The details about the various animals' life cycles, diets, activities, environment, and so forth was interesting, and Shedd also talks about things we *don't* know about particular animals.

My only complaint about this book is that there are parts where Shedd conflates "common sight in New England" with "common sight in the U.S." I've never seen a beaver's dam that I can recall, for example, because I've never lived in the northern
As a wildlife lover and a voracious reader of books about wildlife, I already knew that most of the myths listed at the beginning of the chapter are truly myths. The book is very engaging just the same. Although the book confirms much of what I know, there was still much to discover, like that beavers are often flattened and killed by the very trees they're trying to fell and that coy-dog lines die out quickly because the introduction of the dog genes throw procreation out of whack by introducin ...more
Chris Meads
Since I am an avid outdoor and nature nut, I really liked this book. It is informative as well as a bit humorous. The author has many tales to tell that happened not only to himself but to others also.

Each chapter deals with a particular animal such as the bat, the cougar, whitetail deer and salamander. Each lists the myths about each critter and why they aren't true. Some of these myths have been around for a long time so there is the question of how they got started, while others come about be
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was both informative and entertaining. It took me a while to finish because I wanted to read a chapter or two and digest them and then come back to the book. Otherwise I thought the information was too overwhelming. I found the facts in this book interesting and the antidotes related by the author both informative and amusing. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading material on wildlife and nature.
Meh. I would like to do some further myth busting. I was especially annoyed with the bear chapter. Mr Shed states that bears have poor eyesight. This is a common misconception. He also makes no mention of elk and claims that the whitetail deer is the most iconic member of the deer family. He's obviously never spent time in the west. Disappointing overall.
This is one of the books that me and my mom read together when I was little. I know that seems strange, especially since I was the one who longed to read it. I was very into animals (still am) and was always reading animal encyclopedias so no matter how strange it seems for a six-year-old to read this book, I enjoyed it.
Most of these myths I already knew weren't true, or had never heard of. However, that didn't stop this book from being exceptionally engaging and informative. Lots of information about the species all around me: deer, rodents, squirrels, owls: love it!
Lynda Gross
I live in a very rural area. I appreciated the personal experiences and the information. I now know why I find golf balls in the meadow and on the forest floor. Great book full of information of lots of animals I have seen and made assumptions about.
This book has a completely delightful style, both informative and anecdotal. I sometimes dip into it when I need cheering up. With great pictures by Trudy Nicholson, too.
Mediocre naturalist book. Maybe I'm just over it because none of it was new information, and it's not a particularly good version of the same old thing.
Julie R
Interesting, simple read about fun animal facts. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys learning about wildlife.
Michael Powell
Many interesting facts about wildlife, delivered in a style not particularly to my liking
Kind of dry but I learned a few things, and the drawings were gorgeous.
Very good introduction to those of us ignoramuses out there!
Read it the first time on 5/6/14.
Great one for debunking nature myths.
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
stacey m
stacey m marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Jase added it
Nov 24, 2015
Levi Wiseman
Levi Wiseman marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Jared Cash
Jared Cash is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2015
Jillian Cross
Jillian Cross marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Casseroll marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
  • Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
  • Winter World
  • Appointments at the Ends of the World: Memoirs of a Wildlife Veterinarian
  • Forbidden Creatures: Inside the World of Animal Smuggling and Exotic Pets
  • Bitten: True Medical Stories of Bites and Stings
  • The Wisdom of Donkeys: Finding Tranquility in a Chaotic World
  • Swimming with Piranhas at Feeding Time: My Life Doing Dumb Stuff with Animals
  • The Parrot's Lament, and Other True Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity
  • The Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
  • Wild America: The Record of a 30,000 Mile Journey Around the Continent by a Distinguished Naturalist and His British Colleague
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
  • How to Scratch a Wombat: Where to Find It . . . What to Feed It . . . Why It Sleeps All Day
  • Mean and Lowly Things: Snakes, Science, and Survival in the Congo