Start by marking “Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children” as Want to Read:

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  25 reviews
"Simple changes in the way you parent can make a huge difference in your child's confidence, resilience and ability to love. Attached at the Heart is thoroughly loving, compelling and supportive-packed with practical, good-sense advice to help you to strengthen and deepen your child's humanity...every single day."
-Harvey Karp, MD, FAAP, Creator of the book/DVD, The Happie
Published October 8th 2009 by iUniverse (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Attached at the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attached at the Heart

Kimberly Tardy
Since I'm already an "attached" parent myself, and pretty well-informed on the subject, I sat down with this book the first time expecting to scan it and nod my head. Instead, I was quickly engrossed by the accessible writing style, friendly tone and heavy supportive documentation -- I couldn't put it down and read it through in a night. Besides having certain concepts reinforced, I learned more about why it's so important to choose a compassionate parenting approach to produce healthy, well-adj ...more
Kate Ditzler
I couldn't help comparing this to The Mommy Myth. The book does frame parents -- and particularly mothers -- as solely able to respond to their children's needs, without discussing the role that society should play in supporting parents (that is to say, beyond some cursory "We need to support parents" propaganda).

I found this book wholly fascinating and worth reading as a parent who wants to treat her children as the persons they are, but I thought it glossed over some of the more systematic pr
Courtney
I wish I would have read this before I had my son. I requested my library order it, so now lots of parents and parents-to-be have the opportunity.
Joni Thomas
I'm a believer in Attachment Parenting but not a fan of how this book explains it. I felt like they were guilt tripping me the whole time. I recently had twins and reading the little paragraphs by the mother of multiples explaining, pretty much, how her experience using attachment parenting with her twins was disastrious and then the author following up all of her explaining by telling out moms of multiples that you absolutely need to have help in order to attachment parent the right way really ...more
Jaimee
This book is entirely an overview of API's 8 Principles of Parenting. It's a great introduction to attachment parenting and includes citations from studies and lists of additional resources. I would recommend it to someone interested in simply learning more about AP. But, because it does not contain a lot of specific examples and strategies (it does have some general ideas in the discipline and balance sections), I wouldn't recommend it to someone needing more detailed guidance.
Alley
An excellent book for anyone who desires to apply attachment theory to parenting. A very enjoyable read with lots of good examples of the benefits of attachment parenting and the risks involved in raising children with an insecure attachment. At its heart, attachment parenting calls a parent to rely on his or her instinct and getting to know their children in a real and connected way.
Bess
A great "why to" book on attachment parenting. Nice to have a parenting resource with evidence from research as well as philosophical statements on attachment theory, not just opinions and vignettes (though those are included too).
Jessica Lavander-Biggs
I do not plan to follow the Attachment Parenting plan in most regards, but the book made some interesting points. It was well-written and easy to understand.
Intan Gustiarti
Lots of useful references to any AP related journals, books, magazines and other medias.
Jamie
For the most part the content was good. Would be a great introduction to attachment parenting for a new or soon-to-be parent, although I'm not sure how much most soon-to-be parents who aren't familiar with attachment parenting would be open to reading it or if they would even find it. For those already settled on attachment parenting, it might feel a little redundant, but I feel like it was worth the read, especially the chapter on balance, just as a reminder.
Thystle
Enjoyed this book as it helped me to get back to my roots when thinking about parenting my son. By dedicating a chapter to each of the 8 principles of API, it sometimes feels shallow at best. However, the ideas behind each of the 8 principles is reassuring. I was a bit wary of API's official ideas on parenting but discovered that the big idea behind each of the 8 principles was in line with my own world view (we just disagree on the boundaries).
Dana
This book is an excellent resource about attachment parenting. It is well-researched and I think that all parents to be and parents of babies and toddlers should read it. It is well written and easy to read and explains why attachment parenting is important and how to do in in a variety of steps. I wish that this book had been around before I had children. I would have found it quite helpful.
Emily Mellow
Loved this book. It really is a complete parenting resource, perfect for anyone even thinking of having kids, but also useful for me with 5 & 3 year olds.
The advice boils down to: Listen to your heart, listen to your kids, and think about how you would want to be treated. Of course you should read the actual book for more detailed explanations.
Jessica
This was a wonderful book to remind parents to be loving and empathetic with their children. Parenting by example with patience and a deep breath. It has helped me have a new and more patient approach with my toddler and has reminded me of how I wanted to parent from the beginning.
Jen
Nov 29, 2009 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms-to-be/dads-to-be, new parents, parents
Recommended to Jen by: friend
My favorite motherhood/parenting book! Wish I had read this pre-baby, as it is as realistic, informative, and compassionate a book I could have wanted. Love the philosophy and the fact that it gives history and background to the parenting style that fits my family and lifestyle.
Crystalalene
This book would be one of my first choices for any parent, parent to be, or even of young children if it hasn't reached their hands sooner. It is easy to read, researched and explained well, and presented with love and gentleness (that's the AP way)!
Kirstin
The best parenting advice book I've read to date. Spot on with what I've felt intuitively as a parent, and lots of clear usable strategies for those situations where I've felt ill-equipped and overwhelmed.
Likkia
I am so glad I chose to read about Attachment parenting than go by what I heard. Book has some good information. Like everything, take what works for you and leave the rest.
Thiago Queiroz
This is the book I was needing to read on attachment parenting. Fantastic!

It's easy to read and has all evidences one might need to support their parenting decisions.
Sara
I like some aspects and don't like others...alot of guilt-ridden statements. I did enjoy the idea of doing some self introspection and evaluating your own upbringing.
Kirsten Clemmensen
A little too much general principals and not enough practical advice for me. Good arguments and a nice, to the point breakdown of the main tenants.
Nicole
This makes sense! And it feels like the right way to parent to me! I can't wait to try it out!
Sally
Apr 07, 2009 Sally marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
API's new book. geared more towards the infant?
Stephanie
Compassionate, informative advice about how to best care for a baby.
Antonina
Antonina marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Eve Koenig
Eve Koenig marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Becky Cannon
Becky Cannon marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • The Attachment Parenting Book: A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
  • The Attachment Connection: Parenting a Secure and Confident Child Using the Science of Attachment Theory
  • Playful Parenting
  • Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
  • Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason
  • The Science of Parenting
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • The Continuum Concept: In Search Of Happiness Lost
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Liberated Parents, Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier Family
Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children Attached at the Heart: Eight Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children The Other Baby Book: A Natural Approach to Baby's First Year Streetcar Guide: The Restaurants and Bars of the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar Line

“Adults teach children in three important ways: The first is by example, the second is by example, the third is by example.” 3 likes
“With all the safety mechanisms in place to make cribs safer, still more infants die alone in cribs than in the family bed; yet, there has never been an outcry to ban cribs.” 1 likes