Start by marking “Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken: Transform Your Life with the Power of Authenticity” as Want to Read:

Praise for Be Yourself, Everyone Else is Already Taken "Mike's book is a wonderful expression of authenticity in action--clear, honest, instructive, and a passionate call to be your true Divine Self."
--Cheryl Richardson, New York Times best-selling author, Take Time for Your Life

"Mike Robbins provides a clear guide for intelligently and compassionately coming face-to-face
Published March 23rd 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken

Jessica Thornton
Superb book! I listened to it on audiobook, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well written, well organized, and well presented. I thought the author gave some excellent pointers about authenticity, and it's something the world desperately needs. Highly recommended!
Johnny
Jun 22, 2009 Johnny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear, fantastic book... a must read!
Jacob Sullivan
Jan 15, 2017 Jacob Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read my Mike Robbins that is based on making yourself a better person. I decided to read this book because of the title, it really speaks to me. The controversial topic in this book is one that I struggle with a lot on a personal level. I always think to myself, "Oh, this persons cool, let me act exactly like them and I'll be just as cool." Although that may work, it's not a good thing to do. Everybody is born authentic, with their own unique personality. What makes ...more
Lianne
Nov 06, 2016 Lianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't change my life, but interesting with some helpful tidbits and an all-around great message.
Karl Niebuhr
I had high expectations for this book as I think it is a very important subject and I really liked a talk on YouTube Mike gave. Unfortunately for me at least, this book gave me the feeling of loosing my time, too much clutter for my taste. I love books which go to the point. For me, watching his talk did the job of absorbing the main message. In case you are interested, here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4iFA...
Emmanuelle
Apr 09, 2010 Emmanuelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read through this one twice because there are so many good things he brings up. I docked a star for the fact that this book makes you notice too many things about yourself you never focused on before; all things you've always noticed but usually avoided dwelling on. You will learn a lot; there are great tips and suggestions, such as writing yourself a letter, sealing it and having a trusted friend mail it to you at a time of their choosing. While you can read it in one setting, it's bes ...more
adllto
Nov 05, 2010 adllto rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ologies
This is a very different book to the last book I read on authenticity which was The Authenticity Hoax and it has perhaps even a slightly unfamiliar understanding of what authenticity is. It is about finding your true Self rather than being your false self or your shadow and in doing so it is to be authentic rather than have authenticity. It is not the common excuse of being true to yourself and not doing anything about your life circumstances.In religious language we might say living to our pers ...more
Daniel DeFrances
This book was a God-send for me and my life. I've been bashing my head against the wall doing the same thing but expecting different results. I was introduced to authenticity a few years ago but felt that it just wasnt something acceptable in society..or myself. My oh my how times have changed. Thank you to the author for speaking so honestly and passionately. this is a very easy read, broken up into esentially two parts: Why we sabotage ourselves AKA Why we feel fucked up. 2nd part discusses th ...more
Craig
Nov 28, 2012 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some good lessons about caring for yourself and being true to yourself without being a jerk to everyone else. Mike Robbins comes off as he teaches, authentic, he admits that it's a struggle to be authentic and describes several situations where he struggled and how he got past it. He also relays some real life stories to drive points home. Worth a read.
Janetymj
Apr 17, 2015 Janetymj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read on 'authenticity'--I think it does touch some of the core dysfunctional aspects in my life and my attitudes towards myself and people around me. It's an inspiring book to me. I highly recommend this book if you feel some deep insecurity within you from time to time, whilst everything on the surface looks perfect for you. Very helpful and easy to read :)
Rachel
Jan 31, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great book to start the process of truly being yourself. The book was long, repeated itself and felt somewhat over the top in its delivery. I had a hard time with all the grammer and spelling errors as well. I would still recommend this book to anyone who wants to start the journey of self discovery.
Lara
Apr 04, 2009 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the before-publishing copy....really amazing. I learned so much on just being real and vulnerable even when I won't look "cool" or "together" and how that connects us all....powerfully written in an honest and yes, vulnerable voice. I think therapists and coaches should gift their clients with this highly researched, yet easy-to-read book!
Jonathan Minnick
Some good concepts, I would almost give it 3 stars for its inspirational quality, but there are a lot of big problems with the book.
Gaby
Dec 31, 2009 Gaby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a book on how to being really authentic and live your life with integrity, this is the book!
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2010
Renato Petković
Renato Petković rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Lê Phương
Lê Phương rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Zephan
Zephan rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Mayer
Mayer rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
rhonda guy
rhonda guy rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016
Miranda
Miranda rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2009
Azwad Enam
Azwad Enam rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2015
CAN TIKIROGLU
CAN TIKIROGLU rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Diana Schlößin
Diana Schlößin rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Amanda Lettmann
Amanda Lettmann rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Derek Flanzraich
Derek Flanzraich rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Hungry Spirit
  • Relationship Skills 101 for Teens: Your Guide to Dealing with Daily Drama, Stress, and Difficult Emotions Using DBT
  • Complaint Free Relationships: Transforming Your Life One Relationship at a Time
  • The Compassionate Mind
  • Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder: A Family Guide for Healing and Change
  • Feeling Loved: The Science of Nurturing Meaningful Connections and Building Lasting Happiness
  • Healing Your Aloneness: Finding Love and Wholeness Through Your Inner Child
  • Children of Hoarders: How to Minimize Conflict, Reduce the Clutter, and Improve Your Relationship
  • Home in Harmony: Designing an Inspired Life
  • Quantum Success: The Astounding Science of Wealth and Happiness
  • Repacking Your Bags: Lighten Your Load for the Rest of Your Life
  • Constructive Wallowing: How to Beat Bad Feelings by Letting Yourself Have Them
  • Mindfulness for Borderline Personality Disorder: Relieve Your Suffering Using the Core Skill of Dialectical Behavior Therapy
  • The Bounce Back Book: How to Thrive in the Face of Adversity, Setbacks, and Losses
  • Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder: How to Keep Out-of-Control Emotions from Destroying Your Relationship
  • Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD
  • The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder: New Tools and Techniques to Stop Walking on Eggshells
  • Seven Kinds of Smart: Identifying and Developing Your Multiple Intelligences