Ecstasy Club

Ecstasy Club

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When the young, hypertalented idealists who call themselves Ecstasy Club find an abandoned piano factory in Oakland, they make it the focus of a round-the-clock rave the likes of which the Bay Area has never seen before. They also make the factory a base camp in their search for a method of time travel that combines computer wizardry, esoteric spirituality, and mind-alteri...more
Published June 1st 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ecstasy Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecstasy Club

Fuzzy Gerdes
If you're looking for a pastiche of the mid-90s San Francisco rave scene ("Plugged" magazine or Cosmotology, anyone?) with a stilted metaphysical plot, then this is your ticket. And what kind of freak are you, anyway, that that's what you're looking for? Weirdo.
This book passed from my husband's friend's wife to my husband, then to me, then my friend, who lost it because she "threw it somewhere" and lost track of it.

It is so poorly written and so hysterically (and unintentionally) funny that I sort of want it back.

Thom Foolery
I'm not sure what I was expecting when I first bought this book (in this edition), but I suspect I finally pulled it off the shelf to read (in the edition shown) because of the recently read review with Rushkoff in David Jay Brown's book. I had read at least one thing by Rushkoff at the point that I first purchased Ecstasy Club ( Cyberia , I think) and thought he would write an interesting science fiction novel. (I guess it never says anywhere on the book that it is SF, and it really isn't SF in...more
Tim
A seemingly utopian dream complete with the cracks in the foundation which grow larger and larger as time progresses. The dark side of art and communial living. Brilliant.
Cuneyt
This book was difficult to rate. Story around drugs was good enough to keep an old pharmacologist keep reading but certain graphic scenes do not add to the story and lack taste. It left a slight taste of "Umberto Econess" in the last one third (which I really enjoyed), although lacking Eco's intellectual depth. I read in the comments that some really liked it while others really hated it and I can see the point in both. I think three stars is fair. Story is good and could have had more stars if...more
Ray
For the time being, Ecstasy Club is a bit under the radar. Fans of Rushkoff and those circles are aware, but it isn't a particularly famous novel. I believe one day that will change and this book will get the recognition it deserves.

As we drift away from the time period of the 90s, the generation of my youth, and our memories glamorize and stereotype, eventually this book is going to be remembered as one of the defining works capturing the soul of that era. The cultural identity of the 90s will...more
Allie
This cult/rave book was entertaining and interesting for someone who didn't live through that culture of the 90s. However, I felt like the plot and characters were tedious. I couldn't buy into the whole conspiracy/time travel thing and the narrator made so many horrible, irrational decisions that it was impossible to identify with him. Maybe I needed to take some of the acid that all the characters were high on in this book.
Amy
I don't know why there are such bad reviews for this.. I read it cover to cover because I couldn't stop. I wasn't expecting it to be so scifi-y but it was still good. I had a few issues with it or I would have given it four stars. (Also I can't seem to figure out how to delete my reading progress update which is really bothering me as I accidently pretty much just repeated my self..)
Megan Rossman
I thought this book was interesting. I also thought it was a little stupid. Entertaining enough to read. It seemed kind of dated since it's based on the whole 90s rave thing. I assume.
Amber
So I read this book in the mid to late 90's when I was going to raves in old abandoned warehouses in Oakland which is exactly what this book is about... mostly.
Leonardo Etcheto
An interesting concept, lot of high flying ideals but music, sex and drugs are the daily reality. I liked the rooftop zen garden and the club/home set up.

Steve
You think I would like this book. Its rubbish, Douglas smears a bunch of pop culture drug refrences together and hopes it will stick. It doesnt.
hannaH
Duncan
This book was quite a mind bender, and gives you some of the atmosphere of those times.
Melissa Cavanaugh
Still a good read, but funny how the cultural references place it squarely in the 1990s.
Joseph Heaven
Fantastic read. Bit of a psychedelic adventure through the US 'E' generation.
Michelle
Sep 24, 2008 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Craig
Totally forgot that I read this book. Might have to re-read it soon.
sonia
i loved this book when i was a freshman in high school.
Michael
Good times. Read this in my younger days.
Leah
pretty vivid sex scene. and fun drug fodder.
Ruth
Quite possibly the worst book I've ever read.
Dean
Dean is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
Susanne Bylund Felixon
Susanne Bylund Felixon marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
  • Generation Ecstasy
  • Once You Break A Knuckle
  • An Exquisite Sense of What Is Beautiful
  • Argonauts of the Western Pacific
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Whirl Away
  • Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds
  • Penn and Teller's How to Play with Your Food
  • Ash Ock (The Paratwa Saga, Book 2)
  • The Prisoner
  • God Is My Broker: A Monk-Tycoon Reveals the 7 1/2 Laws of Spritual and Financial Growth
  • Time For Bed
  • The House of Stairs
  • Schrödinger's Cat Trilogy (Schrödinger's Cat, #1-3)
Douglas Rushkoff is a New York-based writer, columnist and lecturer on technology, media and popular culture.
More about Douglas Rushkoff...
Life Inc.: How the World Became a Corporation and How to Take it Back Present Shock: When Everything Happens Now Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture