Start by marking “Tintin v Americe (Tintinova dobrodružství) (Tintin, #3)” as Want to Read:
Tintin v Americe (Tintinova dobrodružství) (Tintin, #3)

Tintin v Americe (Tintinova dobrodružství) (Tintin #3)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  8,226 ratings  ·  209 reviews
Having overcome Al Capone’s gangsters in Tintin in the Congo, Tintin is sent to Chicago, Illinois, to clean up the city. He’s captured by gangsters several times and soon meets Capone himself. Although he temporarily captures Capone and some of his henchmen, the policeman he calls to arrest the gangsters doesn’t believe his story and tries to have Tintin locked up instead! ...more
Published 2004 by Albatros (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Tintin v Americe (Tintinova dobrodružství), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tintin v Americe (Tintinova dobrodružství)

Dirk Grobbelaar
We've arrived. I smell gangsters!

To quote Snowy: Tintin has arrived. This is, as far as all logic dictates, the first Tintin book in the series (in the conventional sense). The first two (Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin au Congo) are oddities which are interesting in their own right, but really recommended for Tintin completists only.

Great snakes! This is entertaining as all heck, and to think the best is yet to come!

There isn't much more I can add to this review, really. If you are
Melki
Gangsters, machine guns and police brutality!

Welcome to the good ole U.S. of A., Tintin!

On a mission to clean up corruption in Chicago, Tintin is kidnapped, shot at, gassed, tossed in a lake, and clubbed by a copper. Then it's onward to the Redskin Reservation to make fun of some Native Americans. Here Tintin, the little towheaded Paleface, is shot at some more, trapped in a tunnel, and manages to discover oil. (Don't worry - oil company men instantly materialize to reap the profits and screw th
Neil
My first taste of Tintin... I can see the cheeky appeal.

There isn't much plot here, just a long series of narrow escapes, some through clever planning, but most by dumb luck. Yes, the attitudes on race are badly dated, but I think it's at least a little tongue-in-cheek. In other cases, the attitudes of the time are refreshing. There isn't much of it, but the political and social commentary, when it comes into the story, is still fresh all these years later.

My favorite bit was when a hotel detec
Mohammed
Re-reading Tintin series is special experience to me, he was the comics hero i rated highly when i came to Sweden as a kid. Of course i cant remember much from the actual stories now other than i liked the over the top fun,adventure.

Rating this as an adult is different and i thought this volume was a clear improvement on the black and white early,immature artwork of the first volume Tintin in Soviet and the weird,off putting animal slaughterhouse that is Tintin in Congo.

This volume the art is mu
Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli
This is the first color edition of tin tin!!

As I have read few latest editions than these, I felt that it is not like those!! All the adventures in the latest editions are wonderful and tin tin escapes from them by his intelligence and spontaneity, where as in this one it is more of luck!!

Also the cartoons are too geeky and the narration was boring at some times!! Nevertheless the brand name of tin tin will make u read it completely and entertains u well!!
David Sarkies
Feb 04, 2012 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diehard Tintin Fans (can be ignored)
Recommended to David by: Herge
Shelves: adventure
This is not really my favourite Tintin story, though it is only the third one ever written. The story appears to be set immediately after Tintin in the Congo and it is suggested (it has been a long time since I read a Tintin in the Congo, if I ever actually read it in English) so I can only garner from what was said about it at the beginning of this story, namely that Tintin busted a diamond smuggling ring in the Congo and then travelled to the United States to clean up the rest of the mess.
Th
Catherine Woodman
We love the Tin Tin series since we traveled through the Loire. Although it begins with a precise date (1931) and location (Chicago) and features a real historical figure (Al Capone), 'Tintin In America' is Herge's tribute to the mythical America of dime novels and silent serials (especially gangster stories and Westerns). There's a real 'Perils Of Pauline' quality to Tintin's misadventures, which see the young reporter and his faithful terrier Snowy attempt to clean Chicago of gangsters, and wh ...more
Vlad
While it's one of the earlier Tintins, this one already bears many classic hallmarks of the series. Tintin is in constant danger, and always escapes by the skin of his teeth. In many instances, the reason for his escape is something wonderfully ridiculous and improbable. Oh, and these occur every few pages! While it might seem contrived and repetitive at first (and it is!), one quickly realizes that it is also a large part of the humor and appeal of Tintin.

The comics never take themselves serio
Melanie Soble
1. This book would fall under the category of a junior book, graphic novel.
2. Tintin is a reporter who somehow gets out of extremely sticky situations. It is set in 1931 in Chicago where Tintin manages to chase down gangsters across the Midwest.
3. critique
a. As far as graphic novels go, this book is not that great. The characters lack development and the plot is pretty lame.
b. Graphic novels often lack the depth of character development, but this book goes seems to lack even a bit of develop
Ashley
Read this for my brother and sisters as a bed time story and they loved it. Needless to say, so did I. Who doesn't love Tintin? It's a timeless classic and never fails to make me feel all giddy and happy inside, like when you come out of the movie theatre and you feel like the invincible main character from a badass super hero movie; like you can do anything. Basically, this comic makes me feel like a kid again. And who couldn't do without that?
Maria Carmo
I decided, as in each beginning of a new year, to go back to books I read in my childhood or youth...here I am re reading Tin-tin books!

A funny adventure in which the young reporter faces the Mafia and its "Unions"! And also encounters tribes of Indians... Milu the dog is the great star, saving Tin-tin several times...

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 1 January 2015.
Mimansa Bairathi
All stereotypes busted! Tintin is in the city of gangster- Chicago. Really hilarious with all the stereotypes of the time gone wrong- the accident prone railroads, the cowboys filled Wild West, forest fires, incompetent Italian gangsters, the mad rush for oil, gullible tribes and Tintin warding off all dangers with his loyal mutt Snowy!
Jake
This book was so lazily written. Everything was soooooo convenient. Tintin should died, like, ten times. Oh, Tintin's been tied to metal and dropped into the sea? Nevermind. It was accidentally made of wood. Oh, Tintin is tied to railroad tracks? Nevermind. Some lady stopped the train because she saw a puma maul a deer. Tintin needs a way out of the room! Oh, there's a secret door. Tintin needs to find the criminal! Oh, he bumped into him in the desert. It'd be insulting to the reader if it wasn ...more
Sam
Sherlock Holmes Meets Scooby-Doo

I think one of the biggest arguments in all of literature is whether comic books can be taken as serious literature. I personally think that they should be taken seriously but only in graphic novel form and I think one of the best examples of this would have to be The Adventures of Tintin series (by Herge). To be more specific Tintin in America. Overall Tintin is an awesome series of books; they’re funny, have great characters, and the stories could never get old.
TeacherMrLoria
Tintin in America
An intro, 3 things that will offend you, 2 things that will surprise you, and 1 overall point to wrap things up

I’m going to focus on the positives, but quickly list the negatives. First, a brief overview. For those of you not familiar with the Tintin series, he’s a boy reporter slash detective who takes down bad guys. It’s written comic book style. It was written in the 1940s so there is plenty of outdated racial language and other such moments that would not fly in modern kids
Julian Meynell
Tintin in America is very early Tintin. I wanted to give an early work by Hergé a try to see what his progress was as a writer and artist. From reading this one, it is clear that Hergé improved as he went along. The plot of this one really amounts to no more than Tintin goes to America to investigate the mob. The mob get wind of this and repeatedly attempt to capture, kill or scare off Tintin. Tintin repeatedly foils these plans, mostly through lucky accident.

The merits of Herge as a writer are
Tom Donaghey
I recently picked up four stories that were friends of mine when I was in sixth grade. I had wandered into the school library and was browsing. At the time I wasn’t a big reader, but that changed when I came across the Adventures Of Tintin.
I borrowed one, then another and soon had read through every collection the library had in stock. Those books led me to other action/adventure books and I was soon consuming stories at an alarming rate. Not so much so as to interfere with playing baseball, b
Andrea Ika
Book Review : Tintin in America (1932)

Hergé #review2014

Tintin in America (1932)
by Hergé (Author)

The boy hero comes to the United States and triumphs over gangsters in Chicago of the 1930's and the pitfalls of the wild West.

Review
Tintin in America continues with the theme of Al Capone introduced in "Tintin in the Congo," but the greater part of the story revolves around other Chicago gangsters of the early 1930s

This comic book looks like a short fun read for those of all ages, which it is. This b
Indah Threez Lestari
#Program BUBU

"Dengar baik-baik... Tintin, wartawan nomor satu dunia akan datang ke sini untuk bersih-bersih. Ini gawat! Dia meringkus perdagangan gelap berlian di Congo dan memasukkan orang-orangku ke penjara... Jadi dia tidak boleh menghabiskan satu hari pun di Chicago... Oke?"

Demikian arahan A.C. eh Al Capone pada anak buahnya pada halaman pertama panel kedua komik ini. Bersih-bersih? Dikata cleaning service apa? Kalau begini jadi bingung sebenarnya Tintin itu cuma wartawan seleb atau interpol
Fran Chartrand
J'ai lu Tintin en Amérique dans le cadre d'un défi de lecture, pour la catégorie "un livre banni" (interprêté au sens large du terme, quelques bibliothèques ont refusé, pendant un certain temps, de l'avoir sur leurs tablettes) et je dois dire que je ne suis vraiment pas surprise que ça soit le cas; certains passages sont tout simplement horribles, entre autres parce qu'ils contiennent des commentaires racistes, et ce même si ce genre de discours était plus accepté à l'époque.

Même en dehors de ce
Andrea

This is my summer of reading Proust and Tintin! I bought the whole selection of Tintin that were available. These have action, adventure, and humor! Snowy the dog is my favorite character. You never outgrow these stories as far as I am concerned. I look forward to reading more and I am pleased to have these books as the shelves where they reside in our local library are empty! Need, I say more?!?
Michael
A disappointing start to the Tintin series. A simplistic series of incidents strung together by unlikely coincidences onto a threadbare plot. Tintin is one-dimensional and uninteresting in this story.

I know that the series gets better as I read some of the later ones to my children when they were younger. Therefore, I will persevere and hope that Hergé hits his stride quickly.
Kim
Things are getting closer to the Tintin I remember. Still a bit of stereotyping going on but at least the white Americans weren't portrayed as being the nice guys. This time Tintin travels to America to investigate the mobs whose activities he disrupted in the Congo. A bit shorter than the first books and the first in colour. Onwards to the next adventure!
Germancho
Let's be honest, this is not an informed book: Herge had never been to America before drawing it. However, it has a high documentary value as a window to a time when Europe viewed the US with suspicion and more than a bit of contempt. It also shows Herge's more personal views towards big business and ruthless capitalism.
Patrick Fisackerly
Apr 10, 2011 Patrick Fisackerly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
While this still is more episodic than the later Tintin stories, this was a vast improvement in both storytelling and humor over the first Tintin installment. Sure, there are some unfortunate stereotypes (especially in the first edition), but I really enjoyed the hell out of it.
Julia
This is an early Tintin but one of the first where Herge did some research on the subject rather than just going with stereotypes of the day. A lot of lucky coincidences save the day for our boy hero and his dog.
Ash
I hardly remember anything. Read Tintin so many yrs back, maybe some 14 yrs back?! Rereading the whole series.. And thoroughly enjoying again :)
Kate
Another super-racist Tintin, this one wasn't all that memorable for me. I probably only read it 20 times, whereas favorites got a good 50 rereads.
Stef Rozitis
You know what? These are fun if you ignore the stereotyping, the repetition and the sometimes offensive humour as as don't expect any relatable (or even half-way likeable) female characters even among the cameos.

This particular one gets 2.5 from me because there is a fantastically sarcastic scene where the minute oil gets found some bastard capitalists turn up to exploit it and the "Indians" get ordered off their own ground, and Tintin is likeable for not being part of that.

I am not ashamed of h
Susan
This comic is a classic, first published in 1932. And it definitely shows its age. In particular, its treatment of the "Redskins" is incredibly insulting. Then again, nearly everyone in the entire comic seems to be rather inept, simply there as foils for Tintin and his dog Snowy: the Chicago gangsters mess up repeatedly, the cops accomplish nothing. If you can set aside the stereotypes, all Tintin's narrow escapes become rather funny. But I don't think I'd recommend this book to any children I k ...more
TinTin Books: Tintin cover fetches record-breaking 1.3m euros 4 17 Jun 13, 2012 10:15PM
  • Astérix in Spain (Asterix, #14)
  • Asterix and Son (Asterix #27)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics
More about Hergé...

Tintin (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin, #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin, #2)
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin, #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Crab With the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)
  • The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11)
Tintin in Tibet (Tintin, #20) Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin, #1) Red Rackham's Treasure (Tintin, #12) The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11) Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)