Start by marking “Violet Eyes” as Want to Read:
Violet Eyes

Violet Eyes (Once Upon a Time #18)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  5,313 Ratings  ·  399 Reviews
To be united with her one true love, Violet must prove her sensitivity and spirit in this retelling of "The Princess and the Pea."
Paperback
Published February 23rd 2010 by Paw Prints (first published February 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Violet Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Violet Eyes

Marianna
Oct 05, 2010 Marianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OMG! The silliest book I have read this year. And not in a good way folks. I am never a fan of books that basically tell their readers that both cheating and self mutilation are okay.

Review also on my blog Books and Circuses.

Well, I have been disappointed with a lot of the books in this series. There are actually authors I avoid. And I love fairy tales! So of course I am frustrated when I don't like what they've done with the old versions. Sadly this book did nothing to bolster my opinion of the
Cara
Oct 16, 2009 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2010, fairy-tales
Out of all the fairy tales the story of the Princess and the Pea doesn't get too much limelight and I was curious to see what the retellings could make of it.

Violet is a farmgirl through and through. She is happy but lately she's been feeling unsettled. Especially this time since another storm is coming. The coming of a storm has always brought a dramatic change in her life and this last one will be no different.

Violet and Prince Richard will have their fateful meeting in one of these storms. R
Anne Osterlund
Sep 14, 2010 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Violet is a farm girl. With callused hands and a knack for pie baking. Not exactly your prime candidate for the Most Sensitive Princess Award. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what it’s going to take to marry Prince Richard, with whom she happens to have fallen in love. And Violet can’t allow him to become entrapped by the beautifully evil princess of the neighboring kingdom.

Even if that means—sigh—Violet will have to pretend to be in absolute agony over losing a single hair torn from her hard head
Valerie
May 01, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: Cara
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
I never really thought much of the Princess and the Pea but I thought this was a great take on the tale. I finished it in one night which is partly because it's short but partly because I liked reading it so much.

The romance in the story starts almost right way, I would say it starts too fast but it is a short read so it fits in just fine. I thought some of the lines Violet and Prince Richard said were a bit cheesy like, "You have bewitched me," and "I would move heaven and earth for you," (can
Lexie
Without a doubt this is one of my favorite 'Once Upon a Time' books in a long time. This isn't to say I haven't enjoyed the more recent books (The Diamond Secret or The Rose Bride), but they didn't grab me quite as much as some of the earlier books (The Storyteller's Daughter or The Midnight Dance). Often I think the problem rested on the fact that the novel didn't stay as true to the original tale as I perhaps wanted it to.

Violet Eyes more than makes up for those that strayed. Viguie managed to
snowplum
Jan 19, 2015 snowplum rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a story from the Once Upon a Time collection of revisionist fairy tales which is significantly simpler and more juvenile than some of the others (I'm thinking in particular of the more sophisticated works by Cameron Dokey). It's very loosely based on The Princess and the Pea, and features a number of princesses competing in a series of "sensitivity tests" to win the hand of Prince Richard -- who is already in love with one particular girl, Violet, who has entered the contest, determined ...more
Amy
Dec 25, 2010 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Such a bummer, really. I was really looking forward to reading a re-telling of my favorite fairy tale, but it wasn't...good. The characters were inch deep, their drama predictable, and the story itself not fleshed out well at all. I mean, what kind of daughter leaves a dying mother because the woman tells her she MIGHT be a princess to go moon after a guy she's known for like a day? And what's with said guy being able and strong to do all that after a fever that nearly killed him? And the wild, ...more
Bridgett
I loved this book, based on The Princess and the Pea, though I'm partial to fairy tale retellings. I liked how the tests weren't really about physical sensitivity, but more important good qualities to possess.
Lola  Reviewer
Really enjoyed reading this short book. When I discovered this series called ''Once Upon a Time Fairytales'', I immediately felt like being in wonderland. I mean, a complete series of retellings? YES, please. So I bought this book along with Wild Orchid which I have yet to read but look very forward to.

I recommend Violet Eyes to everyone looking for a simple yet beautiful story with charming and endearing characters!

Happy reading!
Miss Clark
Jul 04, 2009 Miss Clark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fairytale Fans
Elevetha
Aug 15, 2012 Elevetha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fairytales retold, reimagined, or twisted on it's side
It was enjoyable to read but nothing stellar. The characters were under developed. Side characters were far more interesting than the main ones. The romance felt rushed. Love at first sight

description

and then on to the palace and the tests and then the end where love conquers all. I liked that she wasn't actually a princess but it did annoy me that they were willing to cheat on the tests. That never fit into the version of the story in my head. Overall, it was a okay retelling of a classic fairytale.
Anna Marie
Nov 22, 2013 Anna Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-telling of 'The Princess and the Pea'... which I hadn't realized was a 'May the odds be ever in your favor' story, but apparently it's THE ORIGINAL odds-in-your-favor story. Princesses competing for the hand of the prince. This is what 'The Elite' was stolen from (that, and the dystopian part was from Hunger Games, natch.).

Violet grew up on a farm, had a simple life until a prince's horse slips in a storm and the prince hits his head and has a little layover at her house. There she
Cheryl
Jun 28, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like this 'series,' particularly the ones by Cameron Dokey. But this particular one is ridiculous. Some concepts are interesting, and I won't say that the author spoiled one of my very favorite fairy tales. But the working out of the ideas and the writing style are atrocious. Sorry, but they are. Read Amy's review for details: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Melanie
Feb 20, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute story! I loved all the tests the princesses had to go through and the characters. The romance happened a little quickly, but it is a fairytale and that happens a lot in the genre. A very fun read!
♠ Tabi ♠
Oct 31, 2011 ♠ Tabi ♠ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, wishlist
There aren't that many retellings of The Princess and the Pea, so I was very interested when I saw this one. When I read the blurb however, my interest sagged. C'mon, this is about a princess who is doubted to be real and so put to a test involving a bunch of mattresses and a pea, not some prince's love affair with a peasant girl!

But, whatever, it's a fairytale retelling so I read it. Wow. I was happily surprised! Now, first off, once Violet came to the castle I was very much reminded of The Se
Briana
Jul 22, 2012 Briana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I knew as soon as I read the opening sentence that something was wrong with the writing. I don't often come across books like this, but then I try to read high-quality books. I'm a fan of the "Once Upon Time" series, but I've learned that different authors write them, so you have to be careful of which retelling you choose.

I kept thinking as I was reading, this is printed? The writing seemed more like a fluffy fanfiction then a novel.

I had to force myself to keep reading awhile, mostly to see if
Dixie A.
Feb 06, 2015 Dixie A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a re-imagining of the fairy tale, The Princess and the Pea. Only with twists. There is indeed a competition of princesses vying to see who gets to marry a prince, and a pea is involved, but that's about as much resemblance as this story has to the tale.

The heroine is a farm girl whose family takes the prince in after he has a horse riding accident on their farm. In a short span of time, they fall in love. (I found their supposed love to be the shallowest, most unbelievable part of the st
Bonnie
I'm really falling out of love with the Once Upon a Time series. None of the books that have come out recently have been very good, and nothing nearly as great as Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of "Sleeping Beauty", which was what got me hooked on this series in the first place.

Pros: I don't think I've read another Princess and the Pea retelling, so points for taking such a minor fairy tale and turning it into a book. It was WAY better than the Cheesy Monster Movie It's So Bad It's Hilarious feel of
Reggie
May 27, 2014 Reggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: feminist romance readers, fairytale lovers
I devoured this book in three sittings, all in one day. It's rare that a book can capture me that quickly or intensely, but the romance and strength of the characters was truly a wonderful read. Not only did it offer a twist on the traditional fairytale, but it was an incredibly feminist novel. And by that I mean that ALL of the female characters had a variety of traits, and while one obviously one the contest, it was made clear that all of the different histories and weaknesses of the other wom ...more
Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall
Not my favorite of Debbie Viguié's "Once Upon A Times" but nevertheless decent. I disliked the deficit of any affection between Violet and her parents - She's leaving her ailing mother...and rides off into the storm with nary a word? I felt there could unequivocally be at least a mention of emotion!
The best relationship I believe, was not the one between Richard and Violet, but Violet's friendship with Genevieve - Richard and Violet was hardly stirring.
Oh. Yes, I am reminded of this. Evidently R
~♥Alyssa♥~
Eh. I love fairy tales and retellings, but I would've liked this more five years ago. The plot (as far as the "retelling" goes) is ok, the characters are alright, and the writing was nothing special. It's pretty cliche and a tad predictable, but it was still cute. If nothing else, it was entertaining to read. Every now and then everyone needs to read an easy book with a princess and a prince and a happily ever after. So I'd say go ahead and read it if you need a book and have some time to kill. ...more
Bridget Little
Jul 30, 2015 Bridget Little rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cloe
Aug 04, 2015 Cloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful retelling of the Princess and the Pea. It's one of the less commonly retold stories, and I loved this one. It reminded me of the Selection because of how the princesses had to pass a series of tests in order to win. I loved the idea of a test behind a test. A lot of the princesses were pathetic and delicate, and it frustrated me at times. I really liked Violet and Arianne. They're awesome.
Hannah Renee
Probably one of the worst written Once Upon a Time series books I've read. The author wrote another one called Midnight Pearls, a retelling of the Little Mermaid, but I don't remember much of it; but this one was very badly written. The only thing that was good about it was that I wanted to keep reading simply to see what the tests would be...
Erica (daydreamer)
Violet Eyes was really cute. Silly and kind of dumb, but cute. It's not one of my favorite Once Upon a Time books, but I still really liked it. It's short and sweet. I read it in a couple of hours; it was a nice little escape into a beautiful romantic fairytale.

Cindy
Nov 07, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really sweet retailing of the princess and the Pea. I really enjoyed it!
Lisa
Apr 25, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this re-telling of "the Princess and The Pea"...quite a fun read. I really like this Debbie Viguie...must find more by her.
Melaniemouse
It started out okay, the first couple of chapters were promising. But it just got cheesier and dopier as it went on. I'm not exactly sure which audience it was supposed to be for. The overall writing was incredibly simple. It read as a very basic, entry-level fairy tale, with very little conflict, such as would appeal to a young reader. But there were cheesy professions of undying love and some smooching, so that made it seem more teen-like. So maybe a "tween" book, if they weren't grossed out b ...more
Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire
This book was a cute and a fast read. This is a retelling of the fairy tale of the princess in the pea. The story has some twists such as the Violet, the princess, didn't know she was a princess because she was wisked away to be raised by a farmer when her family was murdered when she was a baby. Her whole life she though she was just a farm girl when she was really a princess. Its on her farm that she meets Prince Richard of Cambria (Violet's homeland and rightful kingdom) who is on his way hom ...more
Abigail Venegas
Jul 07, 2017 Abigail Venegas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down at all. It was that good.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 09, 2015 10:00AM
  • The World Above:  A Retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk and Robin Hood (Once Upon A Time, #19)
  • The Diamond Secret:  A Retelling of Anastasia (Once Upon a Time, #16)
  • The Rose Bride: A Retelling of The White Bride and the Black Bride (Once Upon a Time, #12)
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Once Upon A Time, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
  • The Swan Maiden
  • The Phoenix Dance
  • The Thirteenth Princess
  • The Princess and the Bear (The Hound Saga, #2)
Debbie Viguié is the New York Times Bestselling author of more than three dozen novels including the Wicked series co-authored with Nancy Holder. In addition to her epic dark fantasy work Debbie also writes thrillers including The Psalm 23 Mysteries, the Kiss trilogy, and the Witch Hunt trilogy. Debbie also plays a recurring character on the audio drama, Doctor Geek’s Laboratory. When Debbie isn’t ...more
More about Debbie Viguié...

Once Upon a Time (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights (Once Upon a Time #1)
  • Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty (Once Upon A Time, #2)
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Once Upon A Time, #3)
  • Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Once Upon A Time, #4)
  • Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood (Once Upon A Time, #5)
  • Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of The Magic Flute (Once Upon A Time, #6)
  • Spirited (Once Upon A Time, #7)
  • The Night Dance:  A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses (Once Upon A Time, #8)
  • Golden:  A Retelling of Rapunzel (Once Upon A Time, #9)
  • Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince (Once Upon a Time, #10)