A Porta do Demónio

A Porta do Demónio (Catherine LeVendeur #2)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  555 ratings  ·  19 reviews
As novas aventuras da noviça Catherine La Vendeur que em plena Idade Média se refugia num convento em busca de paz de espírito - tudo o que não vai encontrar. Afinal, o crime e o mistério vão ser uma constante e Catherine não resistirá a procurar os culpados no segundo volume de uma série que se transformou num grande sucesso mundial, distinguido com o prémio "Macavity Bes...more
Published April 2003 by Bertrand Editora (first published 1994)

Clif Hostetler
The story in this historical novel takes place during the time period leading up to the final confrontation between Bernard of Clairvaux and Peter Abelard at the council of Sens. (The novel says this occurred 1140 A.D.; Wikipedia says 1141 A.D.) This historical setting is peripheral to the fictional murder-mystery story, and is not an important part of the story. However, it places it firmly into a particular time in history. One of the things I appreciate most about Sharan Newman is her concern...more
Jenny
This is actually the second book in "A Catherine LeVendeur Mystery" series. i did not tead the first one. However the details in the book often hint back at past evcents so it's not like you would not be able to understand it without reading the first one.

Ths book is about a girl who is a young noice scholar residing at a Convent, who falls in love and leaves the place where she had grown up. Though she left the church, she finds that her path still revolves around the arguements between the bib...more
Felicity
Jul 01, 2009 Felicity rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery readers, history buffs.
Another satisfying outing from the author of Death Comes as Epiphany. Sharan Newman's training as a historian and compendious research allows these books a breadth of subject matter. Whereas the first book was more closely concerned with the politics and practice of the medieval Catholic Church, this volume's murderous plot is squarely 'of the world' and concerns its laws and problems.

That plot was a good one: I was able to guess the central secret, but not too long before our heroine did. The v...more
Marieli
If brother Cadfeal were a young woman, this would be the story. Set in 12th century France during the reign of Henry and Eleanor and with the added backdrop of the building the great cathedral of Notre Dame, Catherine and Edgar seek the truth and uncover mysteries and murder.
Jere
I love historical fiction. I'm always looking for new authors. I found Sharan in The Oregonian book review announcing her new book "Shanghai Tunnel". While waiting for a copy "on-hold" I've read several of her earlier books from the Catherine LeVendeur series.

Her books are well researched and offer a wealth of information about medieval time. Did you know in France washing hands before eating was common and there were private rooms in public bath houses?

The mysteries become formulaic, but the su...more
Dawn
Catherine's second adventure begins with a countess dying at the convent that she will be leaving shortly. When the countess is discovered to have been beaten, Catherine cannot stop in her quest to bring the perpetrator to justice, even if that means putting off her impending marriage. In her pursuit of the truth, she stumbles on the countesses disturbing family secret.

I really like Catherine, she’s plucky and fearless. Taking her family secret of being Jewish in stride and expecting there to be...more
Lady Knight
So, so good! Plenty of action, with just enough thinking, a sprinkling of humour and a dash of romance between two very well suited people... could you ask for more? Yet another wonderfully researched and written medieval mystery by Sharan Newman! If you were a fan of the first one, you won't be disappointed.
Wendy Kobylarz-Chouvarda
The second installment in this series is a solid good. The characters are so likeable and believable, and Newman does a good job of bringing that world to life. However, the conflicts with Peter Abelard and Heloise go on a bit too long and slow the story down. It's not as interesting as the first one, but good enough to send me after the third book.
Delphine
If you want to
1) Have fun
2) Understand everything about medieval France and esp. about Héloïse and Abélard
3) Understand the religious debates of the time

Then this book is a must read.

Sharan Newman writes one of the very best historical detective novels in the whole world.
Kay Denham
just as engrossing as the first book by this author. I didn't think she could pull it off twice but I found myself engrossed in trying to figure out who the culprit was throughout this intriguing second installment with Catherine and Edgar.
I enjoyed every page!
Kellyann
I really like these books, set in the mid-12th century and featuring two students of Peter Abelard and Heloise. I appreciate how the main characters are on the progressive edge of their time while not being anachronistic. It's a great way to learn history!
Julie
I love Catherine LeVendeur. She is both a product of her time and refreshingly human. These books are never dumbed down or sensational, but are intricate and measured. If you like mysteries, give them a try.
Helene
2 1/2 stars, really. Not bad, but not great, either. The pace was too slow and the array of characters were too confusing.
Cayenne
I liked it, but these really sad things kept happening to the main characters and I decided not to continue the series.
Gary Raines
Good fiction with enough real history to make it interesting
Barrett  Dylan Brown
chock full of interesting historical factoids
Theresa
Medieval mystery. What's not to like?
Natalie
Really more like 2.5 stars...
for art history...
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
OddModicum Rachel Verdi
OddModicum Rachel Verdi marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Rparkinson
Rparkinson marked it as to-read
Janet Terra
Janet Terra marked it as to-read
Mamat
Mamat marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
  • The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)
  • The Boy's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #5)
  • The Raven in the Foregate (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #12)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Mortal Bane (Magdalene La Batarde, #1)
Sharan Newman is a medieval historian and author. She took her Master’s degree in Medieval Literature at Michigan State University and then did her doctoral work at the University of California at Santa Barbara in Medieval Studies, specializing in twelfth-century France. She is a member of the Medieval Academy and the Medieval Association of the Pacific.

Rather than teach, Newman chose to use her e...more
More about Sharan Newman...
Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1) Strong As Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4) The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3) The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6) Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)

“A piece of advice his father had given him surfaced in Edgar's mind. Sometimes, he had said, it's better just to keep quiet and think with your heart.” 3 likes
“Sister Bertrada should be grateful the pillows were so flimsy for Catherine was sorely tempted to smother her with one.” 1 likes