Start by marking “A Porta do Demónio” as Want to Read:
A Porta do Demónio

A Porta do Demónio (Catherine LeVendeur #2)

As novas aventuras da noviça Catherine La Vendeur que em plena Idade Média se refugia num convento em busca de paz de espírito - tudo o que não vai encontrar. Afinal, o crime e o mistério vão ser uma constante e Catherine não resistirá a procurar os culpados no segundo volume de uma série que se transformou num grande sucesso mundial, distinguido com o prémio "Macavity Bes ...more
Published April 2003 by Bertrand Editora (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Porta do Demónio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Porta do Demónio

Clif Hostetler
The story in this historical novel takes place during the time period leading up to the final confrontation between Bernard of Clairvaux and Peter Abelard at the council of Sens. (The novel says this occurred 1140 A.D.; Wikipedia says 1141 A.D.) This historical setting is peripheral to the fictional murder-mystery story, and is not an important part of the story. However, it places it firmly into a particular time in history. One of the things I appreciate most about Sharan Newman is her concern ...more
Rebecca Mulligan
Oct 25, 2015 Rebecca Mulligan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catherine and Edgar, Part Two

This second book in the Catherine LeVendeur mystery series rivals the first in depth, plot complexity and sheer entertainment. Catherine is at the Abbey awaiting Edgar and their marriage when a woman, beaten nearly to death, is brought to the Abbey by her husband, a local Lord. He states that his wife was set upon and beaten by a local rival lord. However, he displays no upset at his wife's condition and abruptly leaves. Edgar appears, he and Catherine wed, but the w
Jenny
Nov 12, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is actually the second book in "A Catherine LeVendeur Mystery" series. i did not tead the first one. However the details in the book often hint back at past evcents so it's not like you would not be able to understand it without reading the first one.

Ths book is about a girl who is a young noice scholar residing at a Convent, who falls in love and leaves the place where she had grown up. Though she left the church, she finds that her path still revolves around the arguements between the bib
Felicity
Jun 23, 2009 Felicity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery readers, history buffs.
Another satisfying outing from the author of Death Comes as Epiphany. Sharan Newman's training as a historian and compendious research allows these books a breadth of subject matter. Whereas the first book was more closely concerned with the politics and practice of the medieval Catholic Church, this volume's murderous plot is squarely 'of the world' and concerns its laws and problems.

That plot was a good one: I was able to guess the central secret, but not too long before our heroine did. The v
Jere
Mar 23, 2008 Jere rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction. I'm always looking for new authors. I found Sharan in The Oregonian book review announcing her new book "Shanghai Tunnel". While waiting for a copy "on-hold" I've read several of her earlier books from the Catherine LeVendeur series.

Her books are well researched and offer a wealth of information about medieval time. Did you know in France washing hands before eating was common and there were private rooms in public bath houses?

The mysteries become formulaic, but the su
Betsy
The book jacket compares this book to the Brother Cadfel series. For some reason every medieval mystery is compared to that series. In this case the only similarity is that both are set in the 12th century. While I enjoyed the book, there is nothing particularly special about it. Several historical figures, most notably Heloise and Abelard, appear in the book but the historical details are sketchy at best. I don't think the presence of these figures particularly added to or detracted from the my ...more
Lindsey
Having recently read the first Catherine mystery, I found this one much better. I enjoyed Catherine and Edgar's excitement during the early days of their marriage (although why Edgar kept having to show the marriage certificate to everyone I do not know-can't they be trusted to just tell the truth?!) I had no clue what the big secret behind all the murders was until the end-which I love in a mystery. Catherine also seemed to have matured from her first escapade-it made her actions more believabl ...more
Dawn
Catherine's second adventure begins with a countess dying at the convent that she will be leaving shortly. When the countess is discovered to have been beaten, Catherine cannot stop in her quest to bring the perpetrator to justice, even if that means putting off her impending marriage. In her pursuit of the truth, she stumbles on the countesses disturbing family secret.

I really like Catherine, she’s plucky and fearless. Taking her family secret of being Jewish in stride and expecting there to be
Jennifer Heise
Sep 09, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice follow-up to the first volume, with a solid mystery of the type that reminds me of the Dame Frevisse ones. Of course, the denouement is a bit sloppy (you'll understand when you get there) and the construction of the puzzle could have been tighter. But the characters are good, and the motivations work.
Wendy
Aug 05, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second installment in this series is a solid good. The characters are so likeable and believable, and Newman does a good job of bringing that world to life. However, the conflicts with Peter Abelard and Heloise go on a bit too long and slow the story down. It's not as interesting as the first one, but good enough to send me after the third book.
Lady Knight
So, so good! Plenty of action, with just enough thinking, a sprinkling of humour and a dash of romance between two very well suited people... could you ask for more? Yet another wonderfully researched and written medieval mystery by Sharan Newman! If you were a fan of the first one, you won't be disappointed.
KA
Sep 30, 2011 KA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I really like these books, set in the mid-12th century and featuring two students of Peter Abelard and Heloise. I appreciate how the main characters are on the progressive edge of their time while not being anachronistic. It's a great way to learn history!
Julie
I love Catherine LeVendeur. She is both a product of her time and refreshingly human. These books are never dumbed down or sensational, but are intricate and measured. If you like mysteries, give them a try.
Delphine
Aug 30, 2007 Delphine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to
1) Have fun
2) Understand everything about medieval France and esp. about Héloïse and Abélard
3) Understand the religious debates of the time

Then this book is a must read.

Sharan Newman writes one of the very best historical detective novels in the whole world.
Marieli
Jul 09, 2014 Marieli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If brother Cadfeal were a young woman, this would be the story. Set in 12th century France during the reign of Henry and Eleanor and with the added backdrop of the building the great cathedral of Notre Dame, Catherine and Edgar seek the truth and uncover mysteries and murder.
Kay Denham
Jun 27, 2013 Kay Denham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just as engrossing as the first book by this author. I didn't think she could pull it off twice but I found myself engrossed in trying to figure out who the culprit was throughout this intriguing second installment with Catherine and Edgar.
I enjoyed every page!
Gary Raines
Jun 04, 2012 Gary Raines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fiction with enough real history to make it interesting
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Medieval historical fiction. Good read.
Natalie
Really more like 2.5 stars...
Cayenne
Aug 21, 2007 Cayenne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, but these really sad things kept happening to the main characters and I decided not to continue the series.
Jackie R
I found this a difficult read. The story somewhat interesting, the philosophy a complete bore, but her apparent accuracy of the time period interesting.
Laura Petto
for art history...
Helene
2 1/2 stars, really. Not bad, but not great, either. The pace was too slow and the array of characters were too confusing.
Theresa
Feb 11, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medieval mystery. What's not to like?
Anna
Mar 24, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of the people in these books are CRAZY!!!
Caitlin
I don't remember the story very well, but I remember enjoying it. I read it for a college history course.
Phil
Nov 21, 2016 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Just as good as the first.
Tjo
Tjo rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Audrey Parent
Audrey Parent rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2012
  • Bone of Contention (Magdalene La Batarde, #3)
  • The Raven in the Foregate (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #12)
  • The Boy's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #5)
  • Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1)
  • The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3)
Sharan Newman is a medieval historian and author. She took her Master’s degree in Medieval Literature at Michigan State University and then did her doctoral work at the University of California at Santa Barbara in Medieval Studies, specializing in twelfth-century France. She is a member of the Medieval Academy and the Medieval Association of the Pacific.

Rather than teach, Newman chose to use her e
More about Sharan Newman...

Catherine LeVendeur (10 books)
  • Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • Strong as Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4)
  • Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)
  • The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)
  • To Wear The White Cloak (Catherine LeVendeur, #7)
  • Heresy (Catherine LeVendeur, #8)
  • The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur, #9)
  • The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur, #10)

“A piece of advice his father had given him surfaced in Edgar's mind. Sometimes, he had said, it's better just to keep quiet and think with your heart.” 3 likes
“Sister Bertrada should be grateful the pillows were so flimsy for Catherine was sorely tempted to smother her with one.” 1 likes