Start by marking “Artificial Life: A Report from the Frontier Where Computers Meet Biology” as Want to Read:
Artificial Life: A Report from the Frontier Where Computers Meet Biology

Artificial Life: A Report from the Frontier Where Computers Meet Biology

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  218 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This enthralling book alerts us to nothing less than the existence of new varieties of life. Some of these species can move and eat, see, reproduce, and die. Some behave like birds or ants. One such life form may turn out to be our best weapon in the war against AIDS.

What these species have in common is that they exist inside computers, their DNA is digital, and they have
Published July 27th 1993 by Vintage (first published May 30th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Artificial Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artificial Life

Artificial Life by Steven LevyIntroduction to Artificial Life by Christoph AdamiArtificial Life by Christopher G. LangtonCreation by Steve GrandThe Garden in the Machine by Claus Emmeche
Artificial Life
1st out of 12 books — 2 voters
The Systems View of Life by Fritjof CapraThe Ecological Rift by John Bellamy FosterThis Changes Everything by Naomi KleinEmergence by Steven JohnsonSync by Steven H. Strogatz
Complex Systems (networks, ecology, etc.)
22nd out of 49 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Jul 26, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it
Ah, the book responsible for a strange little diversion in my life. There I was, a 19 year old first year linguistics student, when I borrowed this book from my mathematics student flatmate. And I thought - "this is really interesting, how can I get into it?" and ended up - someone who hadn't programmed a computer in my life - switching to study artificial intelligence. Which led some years later to working as a programmer in a chaotically run start-up as the dotcom boom petered out... An experi ...more
Facedeer
A bit dated in light of recent advances, the book is 20 years old now, but still a nice summary of ideas in the field.
George Higgins
Oct 18, 2007 George Higgins rated it liked it
Recommends it for: AI people
This was a very interesting read. I am interested in Artificial Intelligence, not a good title since I make little distinction between thinking devices made of proteins and those made of other material, except that the protein made thinking devices have been in development for a long time and are vastly superior in many ways to the others. This book takes complexity seriously, so it is a good read for me.
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
False
Gogs
Oct 07, 2012 Gogs rated it really liked it
I read this as it was suggested as a good introduction to Artificial Intelligence, however whilst there is elements of AI mentioned it primarily focuses, as the title suggests, on Life.

Nevertheless, a good read albeit at times a hard slog for those like me that are not overly scientific
Wael Al-alwani
Nov 12, 2011 Wael Al-alwani rated it really liked it
I read this book 3 years ago.. it is definitely amongst the best popular-science books I read. As the name implies, this book talks about computer algorithms inspired from biology, cell programming, in silico, and much more interesting stuff.
Brent Werness
Jan 13, 2013 Brent Werness rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a very formative book for me on my path to becoming a mathematician. I read it when I was in 4th grade, and it completely boggled my youthful mind. No clue how it holds up now 20 years later, but it gets 5 stars for the memory.
Hank
Dec 18, 2011 Hank rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011

Really two-and-a-half stars. A light-weight overview of efforts to build 'reproducing' computer programs. The author admits even any-type behavior will not be possible for years.
Phoenix
Mar 08, 2013 Phoenix rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book. Levy's exposition is very clear, and his storytelling is intriguing. I couldn't put it down.
Chris Adami
Jul 18, 2011 Chris Adami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The first laymen's book about Artificial Life, and also the most influential. By now it is somewhat dated.
Tim Robinson
May 09, 2016 Tim Robinson rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I didn't exactly read this book, but I did dip into it and it was very interesting.
Chris Feldman
Aug 01, 2009 Chris Feldman rated it really liked it
Allegedly one of Oshii's inspirations for the Ghost In The Shell series.
Dan
Nov 27, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it
Fascinating book about people trying to create "intelligence" in software.
Emily
Feb 10, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
A fun, imagination-stirring book I read back in my comp sci days.
David Leach
David Leach is currently reading it
May 15, 2016
Devrim
Devrim marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Utkarsh Rai
Utkarsh Rai rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2016
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
yes marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Joshua Sandeman
Joshua Sandeman rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Lilly Tao
Lilly Tao rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Na Setyowati
Na Setyowati marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
andrew parker
andrew parker rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Barry
Barry rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Ross
Ross marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Rob O'Connor
Rob O'Connor marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Byzantine
Byzantine marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Johnny McMenamin
Johnny McMenamin marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Ville V.
Ville V. marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
  • An Introduction to Genetic Algorithms
  • The Arrow of Time
  • Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning
  • The Complexity of Cooperation: Agent-Based Models of Competition and Collaboration
  • A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics from the Bottom Down
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • The Mathematical Tourist: New & Updated Snapshots of Modern Mathematics
  • The Lifebox, the Seashell, and the Soul: What Gnarly Computation Taught Me About Ultimate Reality, the Meaning of Life, and How to Be Happy
  • Introduction to Machine Learning
  • Life's Matrix: A Biography of Water, With a new preface
  • Fuzzy Thinking: The New Science of Fuzzy Logic
  • Thumbs, Toes, and Tears: And Other Traits That Make Us Human
  • Artificial Intelligence: Structures and Strategies for Complex Problem Solving
  • Why Things Break: Understanding the World By the Way It Comes Apart
  • Creation: Life and How to Make It
  • Artificial Intelligence for Games (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology)
  • Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World
  • Robot: Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind
Steven Levy (born 1951) is an American journalist who has written several books on computers, technology, cryptography, the Internet, cybersecurity, and privacy. Levy is chief technology writer and a senior editor for Newsweek, writing mainly in the "Science & Technology" section. He also writes the column "Random Access" in the monthly feature "Focus On Technology." Levy is also a contributor ...more
More about Steven Levy...