Start by marking “One Day In May” as Want to Read:
One Day In May

One Day In May

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  56 reviews
One fine day in May, Hattie's life changes for ever...Single mother Hattie has plenty of reasons to be happy. Her antiques business is flourishing, her teenage son is settled at boarding school and she's enjoying a fling with a younger, very sexy man. But when her job takes her back to the idyllic village of Little Crandon, painful memories of her first love - Dominic Forb...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Michael Joseph (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about One Day In May, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day In May

Karen
This is a story all about lies. Big lies, little lies. Lies to yourself and lies to your family. I first started this book some time ago, and I trundled along with it, but in the last two weeks I have seriously started to get back into it.

I have to admit, that I was bowled over by the shocking admission that happens towards the end of the story. I, as a reader, had been suckered into the lies that Hattie had managed to weave around her life, and when I read it, I was as shocked as the character...more
Kaye
This is the story of Hattie, an almost 40-year-old single mum with teenage son Seffen, who has a serious attitude problem (what teenager doesn't?). She runs a French antiques business with her friend Maggie, and has a secret toy-boy Ivan.

Her gorgeous sister Laura is married to an upper-crust rich man with a country manor in need of serious re-decorating, so Hattie is called in to oblige. This brings back memories of Hattie's first love Dominic, a married politician, as the manor is located in th...more
Jacqueline
This was a four star read right up until the end - then it was ruined. I cannot remember the last time i was let down so badly by a story.
I don't want to ruin the story, but I cannot understand how she ended up with that guy. Perhaps the author did too good a job of persuading me that he was wrong and the other was right. Perhaps the author just changed her mind. Either way, it was ruined for me. Such a shame.
Vera
I thought I was going to love this book but I was dissapointed by its weak story line, and I really didn't like the end. I thought some parts were exagerated and some were boring. I don't think I will ever read it again.
Kaley
One Day in May by Catherine Alliott may be one of my favourite chick lit reads of the year so far! I decided to read it for this month's Chick Lit Plus Challenge read because it's May and since the book has "May" in the title I found it fitting. It's been sitting on my shelf for awhile but I'm glad I finally got around to reading it because I really enjoyed it!

I'm a huge fan of British/Irish chick lit. I have some favourites - Matthews, O'Flanagan, Ahern - and I think Alliott may end up on this...more
Leah
I absolutely love Catherine Alliott’s books and have read the majority of those she’s had published so far. She has a quirky kind of writing style and although some of her plots are a little bit odd (see Rosie Meadows Regrets to know what I mean), her books are ultimately enjoyable. Therefore I was thrilled to see Catherine was back after a two-year absence with a new book (The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton) and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. The fact it’s still sitting on my shelf is irr...more
Jouraine
Where do I begin to express my dislike for this book? I'm not sure because anything I say might actually spoil the read for anyone who might want to (piece of advice: don't). The characters are really weak, and even after finishing the book I can't say that I know enough about the main character to think of her with anything but indifference; and as for the plot, that's another story (I crack myself up), it's totally non-existent. Based on the blurb, I got the impression going in that there woul...more
Sam
Second book I have read from this author. Enjoyed rural affair but this book annoyed me. I wont give it away but hate it when authors blatantly lie to you and mislead you. It is lazy writing. Not just the most obvious twist - but the way the author paints our leading ladies perception of different characters. Also I am not averse to a bit of artistic licence but there are some major inaccuracies in the book - the aristocracy don't put modern art all over their stately homes for a start - emails...more
Jennie
The author does a good job of making you like the characters in this book except for the main character, Hattie. From the beginning, she oscillates wildly between uninteresting and grating. The story moved along at a good pace and was organized in an interesting way, but the end felt rushed, sloppy and awkward. It is one of those books that you read KNOWING it is building to a big reveal, and once the "reveal" happens in this book, it renders everything you read previously pointless and makes yo...more
Gail Mallin
Catherine Alliot is on top form with this book. It's funny and the characters are engaging. I would have given it five stars except for one thing, I think the plot twist towards the end of the book is a bit of a cheat. The story is told in the first person by the heroine, Hattie, who is very open about her life, but Alliot deliberately misleads the reader about Hattie's son so that the plot twist can have the necessary impact, which struck me as a bit devious.
Laura ★☮☯
This is a story about 39 year old Hattie who has a successful antiques business, a teenage son, and a broken heart. Alliott takes us back to when Hattie is newly out of university and meets the handsome and charming Dominic Forbes, whom she falls head over heels in love with. But I don’t really feel it. She is so ditsy with love, imagining their perfect future with their small children running around the garden, oh but one slight problem- he’s married. I just don’t see how this love affair bloss...more
Jo at Jaffareadstoo
This is a nice easy read and a perfect antidote to a rainy afternoon. I've tried a few Catherine Alliott books and have always been entertained by her effortless style of writing and her ability to weave some fairly intense family relationships into a light-hearted story-line.

This one is about the secrets and lies that families have stashed away and what happens when those secrets and lies are finally exposed.

Lisa (scarlet21)
Catherine Alliott has a fail proof system with her books which make them nontheless amusing, witty, touching and brilliant and they never fail to leave an impression.
Her slightly scatty character Hattie is experiencing probems with her adopted son Seffy and qualms about her toy-boy lover, whilst the older sister Laura, she of good looks, rich husband, gorgeous children has that age old problem of inheriting the country pile and trying to update it with the help of Hattie and her interior design...more
Sharlene
I have always loved Catherine Alliott, from the moment I picked up 'Rosie Meadows Regrets' - she is absolutely laugh out loud, embarrass yourself on public transport funny. But this book was VERY different- and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!! Don't want to give anything away, so I'm literally going to say NOTHING!
Mica
Ich war sehr überrascht über dieses Buch. Habe es günstig gekauft und dachte, naja, wieder mal so ein typischer Frauenroman ohne grosse Überraschungen. Je länger man drin liest, desto spannender wird es und gegen Schluss immer mehr dieser unerwarteten Geschehnisse.
Angela
A good story with pretty decent characters and the dialogue was hilarious at times. Didn't see the revelation near the end of the book coming. Would recommend the book for chick lit fans.
Kelly
After reading the majority of alliott books this was one of the last on my list! Unfortunately it is not my favourite as it seemed quite slow and wasn't keen on the speaking in French (the odd word )
it took me While to get 'into' it then when it did pick up it was only for a chapter or two, I did like the ending as it wasn't what I expected just seem to take all the book to get some joyful reading.
Best part ; the last few chapters
Worst part:the beginning-middle
This book has not 'put me off''...more
Supriya
easy read but a bit of lazy writing
Marina Andreou
ΜΕ ΕΧΕΙ ΛΙΓΟ ΑΠΟΓΟΗΤΕΥΣΕΙ ΓΙΑΤΙ ΕΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΑΝ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΠΟΛΛΕΣ ΑΝΑΦΟΡΕΣ ΣΤΟ ΠΑΡΕΛΘΟΝ ΤΗΣ ΧΑΤΙΣ,ΚΑΠΟΥ ΚΑΤΑΝΤΑ ΑΡΓΟ ΚΑΙ ΒΑΡΕΤΟ ΚΑΙ ΠΕΡΙΜΕΝΕΙΣ ΝΑ ΚΑΛΥΤΕΡΕΥΣΕΙ ΚΑΙ ΕΚΕΙ ΠΟΥ ΠΑΣ ΝΑ ΣΥΜΠΑΘΗΣΕΙΣ ΤΗΝ ΗΡΩΩΙΔΑ, ΜΑΘΑΙΝΕΙΣ ΤΑ ΨΕΜΑΤΑ ΠΟΥ ΕΙΠΕ ΚΑΙ ΚΑΠΟΥ ΤΗΝ ΜΙΣΑΣ,ΟΧΙ ΑΠΟ ΤΑ ΛΑΘΗ ΑΛΛΑ ΑΠΟ ΤΗΣ ΠΡΑΞΕΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΠΩΣ ΣΥΝΕΧΕΙΑ ΠΛΗΓΩΝΕΙ ΤΟΥΣ ΑΛΛΟΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΕΙΔΙΚΑ ΤΟΝ ΣΥΜΠΑΘΗΤΙΚΟ ΧΑΛ..ΠΟΥ ΤΟΥ ΑΞΕΙΖΕ ΚΑΤΙ ΚΑΛΥΕΡΟ.ΤΩΡΑ ΓΙΑ ΤΟ ΤΕΛΟΣ ΑΝΑΤΡΟΠΗ ΣΕ 10 ΣΕΛΙΔΕΣ ΠΟΥ ΜΕΝΕΙΣ ΜΕ ΑΝΟΙΚΤΟ ΤΟ ΣΤΟΜΑ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΝ ΧΩΝΕΥΕΙΣ ΟΤΙ ΕΓΙΝΕ ΕΤΣΙ..ΑΝ ΞΑΝΑΠΑΡΩ ΞΑΝΑ...more
Katrina Mccrea
good holiday read
Tomi
I never would have thought that the circumstances surrounding the birth and parentage of Seffy was what the book played out in the second half. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
I was bought over by the war in Croatia, all the problems.... all of that. But then I can understand how and why it was hidden. Who would have thought!!. I know it definitely was not to protect the other family, but more because of a selfish position.... not wanting to deal with the embarrassment that may ensue.... Hmmm... interesting
Eeedawg
I'm torn between a 3 and 4 for this book. I found the main character unlikeable for the majority of the book. However, I appreciate the fact that Catherine Alliott went out on a limb to provide us with a different type of chick-lit. Then ending was not as I would've liked in the traditional chick-lit sense, but I can see how she worked it so that her choice of ending was a happy one as well. Overall, I enjoyed the book, but I've enjoyed Catherine Elliott's other books much more.
Nicola Mccallum
yes...another alliot..!! a gem of a read. a shade darker than her others (if u can go as far as to call it dark) and a richer more complex storyline than previous novels.
i loved it - unashamedly.
again...no award winner but a genuine book and as always the herione has an honest and frank approach to her own"quirks" / flaws, making her funny and, at times, despite the world it is set in, somehow easy to relate to.
sparkling chick lit at its best.
Jacqueline King
The heroine and her partner run a shabby~chic antique shop and decorating business, which grabbed me from the start. But there is a much grittier back~story, which unfolds against the back~drop of French antique and flea markets, coming to a head at a time of potential tragedy. There are surprising twists and turns and the ending was a complete surprise! Well written, easy to read and absorbing.
Trish
Picked this up on special as it sounded interesting, I liked the cover, and I wanted somethign light to read. I enjoyed it, but won't say it was a great book. However, i did find the main character, Hattie, a really intersting character in her way of dealing with 'truth' and loyalty.
Karen Clarke
This is the first Catherine Alliott book I have not liked. I gave up with it after reading around 30% and that was asking a lot.I will still invest in her new one however in the hope her magic comes back.Sorry Catherine it just wasn't for me.
Irishmaddoc
I've read Catherine Alliot books before and enjoyed them. I liked the story and the twists but it was just too long. I found myself skipping chapters as I knew I was getting bored. Liked the ending and thought it was right for Hattie.
Werlynefrena Justin
Really amazing. I never thought it would happen that away. It started with a little boring opening not until I read until the best part of it... and I never let the book out of my hand ...cos I know how the ending will work out. Amazing
Akilesh Sridharan
An aesthetically written book with the backdrop of Europe's countryside. The detailing and the flow of the author's writing are sublime with a good story plot finely interwoven with common people with complex relationships.
Jacqueline
The pace is slow moving most of the time though it picks up occasionally. The "suspense" is refreshing as compares to others in the same genre but unfortunately, it was not executed smooth enough and the twists appear contrived.
  • The Difference a Day Makes
  • Men I've Loved Before
  • A Season to Remember
  • Over You
  • The Perfect Lie
Catherine Alliott was born and raised in Hertfordshire. After graduating from Warwick university she moved to London, where she worked as a copywriter in advertising. She now lives with her husband, a barrister, and their three children.
More about Catherine Alliott...
A Crowded Marriage The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton A Rural Affair Olivia's Luck The Old Girl Network