Start by marking “Baked” as Want to Read:
Baked

Baked

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Miro Basinas is an experimental botanist who sells his rarefied product to a discerning clientele. Only Miro’s not growing heirloom tomatoes or making organic wine—he’s growing weed. And when Miro hits the big time by winning Amsterdam’s famed Cannabis Cup, cannasseurs and ganjaficionados aren’t the only people who want a piece of him and his mind-blowing pot that tastes l ...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by Grove/Atlantic, Black Cat (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Baked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baked

Andrew Cheney-Feid
Not a pothead, Mormon missionary, Irish-Hispanic gangster, or an unscrupulous owner of cannibas-for-medicinal-purposes centers.

I did, however, laugh out loud and devour the novel in just a few sittings. It is one more in a delicious string of books from this author whose lovable, fallibile and, at times, downright dispicably hilarious characters aren't afraid to dispose of their adversaries in the desert.

Loved it!
Edan
Fun, fun, fun!

Marijuana, taco trucks, strap-ons, murders, Amsterdam, Eagle Rock, bondage. What more could a reader want in a summer read? This was a rollicking good crime novel.

My only complaint is that twice the book had "parent's" when it should have been "parents'"...that is just inexcusable! Where is the copy editor?

Eric
Lots of fun! I want to be a character in this book - they all live in my neighborhood!
Matt Smith
Okay, I admit it, the cover of Mark Haskell Smith's Baked is what caught my attention at first. However, it was the back cover description and critical praise that put Smith on par as being "as riotous as Carl Hiaasen on really good dope" that piqued my literary curiosity for terrific satire.

Meet Miro. He's a part-time botonist and "gentleman farmer" in Los Angeles. Okay, let's be blunt (pun intended) — he grows some seriously awesome weed. After Miro wins Amsterdam's Cannibis Cup everyone wants
Adam
Aug 12, 2010 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Adam by: Mark Haskell Smith
Shelves: fiction
This was another solid, action packed and crazy novel by Mark Haskell Smith.

I have read all of his books so far, and this one stands apart from the rest in that there are quite a few more characters and quite a few more things going on in general throughout the book, and a few more twists than in his previous works. Smith has a great gift for being able to connect all of the characters and show events unfolding from several different angles, all the while giving us a very comic look at the pers
James
Aug 18, 2012 James rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to James by: Aloud LA
Shelves: aloud
Baked, as with all of Mark Haskell Smith's other work, did not disappoint. This story was just as unique and interesting as his other fiction. Set in Los Angeles and Amsterdam, Baked draws on Smith's personal experience researching the annual Cannabis Cup competition for his reporting for the Los Angeles Times and his excellent non-fiction book on the same subject, Heart of Dankness. My only disappointment is that I have now read all of Smith's books and that I must now wait for his next work to ...more
Chris
I once heard that Chuck Palahniuk was worried about meeting one of his writing heroes, Amy Hemple, that she would not be the person he imagined her to be. If you're wondering what Mark Haskell Smith is like, you'll find a good indication here. A dark humorist, laid back guy, who likes to keep the action moving and the violence in his life restricted to his novels.

While I admit that MOIST is still my favorite of his, I enjoyed BAKED. I'll say it here and now that not everyone will enjoy this book
David
"Baked" has got to be Mark's best work yet. It is completely wild and funny and at the same time the writing is very tight and clean. He has incredible characters in unimaginable circumstances and he pulls it all off like it is completely natural. A lesser writer might try to use Mark's type of material to flash and awe the reader, distract them from the actual writing. Mark doesn't do that, though. The insane aspects are fully integrated with all the necessary components of a good story. They c ...more
jeff caddell
One of the best books that I have read in a very long time. For once i have found an author that can keep me entertained throughout an entire book. I started on this book and never wanted to put it down, finished it in three days (which is good for me considering my work schedule). I'm not very good at giving explanations and details so sorry for the lack of graphic description but trust me you will not be sorry you picked up this book, it makes me wish I would have learned of him sooner because ...more
Brandon James
Oh so tempted to give this five stars. Easily the best and most enjoyable book I've read in the last few months. I wish I had read this book when I first got it so I could have spent the last year reading everything else by Mark Haskell Smith. Great subject matter and pacing. The author did a fantastic job giving a distinct voice to each of the major characters, from the timid little Mormon, Daniel to Shamus, the gun toting pot dealer. Laughed out loud and loved every single page. Can't wait to ...more
Tiffany Hawk
I loved this book. The only disappointment was coming to the end, and maybe losing sleep when I couldn’t put it down. Subtly layered under the hilarious and suspenseful plot, are moving and thought provoking questions about life and spirituality. When lesser writers try to get too deep, I find myself groaning. Haskell Smith was spot on.
Even if you’re turned off by drug use, as I am, I think you will thoroughly enjoy this read.
Tim
The botany and business behind marijuana provide the perfect subject for Mark Haskell Smith's wily, subversive voice. The book teems with sex, drugs, and violence, but it's all so hilariously cheerful. There's no question the book is coming from a good place.

I tried recently to explain a scene in which a near-assassination is unraveled by a sex toy, but I kept laughing too much at the awesome of audacity of it.
Lauren
Super enlightening. It truly reflects how the drug war is completely pointless and causes more violence. Decriminalize drugs and put drug gangs to an end, America.
Kelly
This can only be described as "dude lit." fast action, guns, drugs, a little kinky sex for good measure. Excellent beach or plane reading, easily read in a day.
Janc Mendoza
BEST BOOK EVER
Hallie
“Baked,” Mark Haskell Smith’s very funny fourth crime novel, tells a sprawling story. The protagonist is Miro Basinos, a sweet underground botanist who’s turned three rooms of his 1950s Los Angeles tract house into a sophisticated indoor farm. He’s a consummate geek, and he relishes telling how he started with a strain of cannabis from Northern Thailand (“undiluted, pure, old-school Thai sativa”), crossed it with a strain wild Hawaiian Indica, and refined it endlessly until he was satisfied. The ...more
Amy
My review for Library Journal:
If books came with MPAA ratings, Smith’s fourth novel (after Moist, Delicious, and Salty) would definitely get an NC-17. But if you can’t tell that from looking at the cover (the ARC showed a silhouette of a nude woman with marijuana leaves covering her breasts), rest assured that the novel contains plenty of drug references, drug use, and sexual content. But it’s also a tightly plotted, well-paced caper with a message, à la Carl Hiaasen. Miro, our hero, is an exper
Walter
Like a lot of avid readers of fiction I often find myself at a loss for what to read next. I have grown so tired of the same old plots, and characters, sometimes I find myself rereading old books I know I can count on. I was having one of those nights when I came across Baked. I didn't get any sleep that night. Smith's style reminds me of Elmore Leonard, shocking, funny and utterly readable.
Diogenes
Absolute fun. If you're not upset by smoking and growing pot, not taking religion too seriously (the discovery of heavenly pleasure by some Mormon missionaries is LOL) or the antics of some very nasty people, you'll by tickled by nearly every page of this novel. Smith feels like an original hybrid of Carl Hiaasen, Elmore Leonard and Dave Barry. And this may be his best.
N.K.
Bought this on a whim and really enjoyed it. Really like Mr. Smith's writing style. Funny and well-written. The story moved along. The characters were very interesting and easy to follow without becoming annoyed as the plot progressed.
Emily Linacre
wildly entertaining; diverse cast of characters just quirky enough to be realistic; interesting to learn of the "cannabis cup" and the intricate science of creating marijuana strains--it's serious business.
Tony DuShane
I laughed out loud, I underlined passages, my copy of the book looks like it's been beat up all to hell because of my notes throughout.

There was no way I couldn't deface the copy, there are so many passages that deserve a second reading....and I plan to give it another read sometime in the next year.

It's a literary fun bag, and refreshing to read in a world of authors who tend to take themselves too seriously. Myself included.

It's a fast read and as the characters come together to interact with
Nicole
Funny novel about a botanist Miro who designed a superior brand of weed that ends up winning the Academy Award of pot in Amsterdam, the Cannabis Cup. His superior product gets the attention of some seedy underworld characters who seek to take over the distribution of "Elephant Crush". Smith writes with a sarcasism and humor that reminds me of Elmore Leonard's works (ie "Get Shorty", etc) with lots of subtle jabs of laughter. Passages are filled with modern scenes of drugs, crime, sex and even th ...more
Susan
Primo shit
Christopher
I first heard of Mark Haskell Smith by a reader of one of my books who said I had to try Smith. I downloaded a sample of "Baked" on my Kindle and when I came to the end of the sample, I had to know what happened and bought it. I've since read two more of his novels. "Baked" simply got me involved. I ended up writing a whole blog on "Baked." You can read it here: http://redroom.com/member/christopher...
Angel
Baked is a thoroughly fun book. Baked is full of intrigue, murder, good guys, bad guys and even a few Mormons thrown in. It is a Cops and robbers whirlwind. Miro is a botanist who wins the famous Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam. Little does he know what insanity is coming into his life. Baked flows well and is a laugh out-loud type of book. Definitely an amusing read. The thrills, twists and unexpected plot is worth the read. I highly recommend it.
Brandon Nagel
From the Cannibis Cup in Amsterdam to the streets of L.A. Marajuana, mayhem, Mormons, and madness. Easily one of my favorite reads in a long time. 5 stars all the way. Laugh out loud funny crime novel. I am going to be reading Smith's whole catalog after this masterpiece. Recomended for all drive lovers and marijuana lovers out there. Couldn't put this one down!
Stacy Burke
It's obvious that Mark Haskell Smith worked in TV. The book's predictable, following a strict formula, and the characters all seem to be movie fillers, most notably the screw up best friend of the protagonist. Basically, I thought it was a failed Coen Brothers movie. Throwing a strap on into a story does not make it a good story.
Tuck
farcical noir? some good violence and sex here, and fairly knowledgeable about kb and the life of 4:20ers and mormons. i guess this is entertaining and well written but not my style. if i want sardonic and "funny" with my noir i will stick with Robert Lewis, Daniel Chavarria, and Patrick Hamilton.
Beth
An adolescent romp through pot-smoking LA and Amsterdam. Add a young, sex-obsessed Mormon, an Irish-Puerto Rican hit man, and a capitalist-pusher who wants to scoop the franchise on medical marijuana and you’ve got a pretty good idea of the plot.
  • Everybody Smokes In Hell
  • Hell on Church Street
  • The Riptide Ultra-Glide (Serge Storms, #16)
  • Strip
  • Frank Sinatra in a Blender
  • Fake I.D.
  • A Death in China
  • The Heroin Chronicles
  • No Sleep Till Wonderland (Mark Genevich, #2)
  • The Cleanup
  • Flinch: A Novel
  • Reefer Madness: A History of Marijuana
  • The Cocaine Chronicles
  • Flash and Filigree
  • Smokescreen
  • Stop This Man! (Hard Case Crime #58)
Mark Haskell Smith is the author of five novels and the nonfiction books Naked at Lunch and Heart of Dankness. His work has appeared in the Los Angeles Times, the Los Angeles Review of Books, The Independent, Salon, Literary Hub , and Vulture.

He lives in Los Angeles. He likes Mexican food.
More about Mark Haskell Smith...
Raw: A Love Story Moist Heart of Dankness: Underground Botanists, Outlaw Farmers, and the Race for the Cannabis Cup Salty Delicious

“One bullet can really fuck up your day.” 11 likes