Start by marking “Baked” as Want to Read:
Baked

Baked

Miro Basinas is an experimental botanist who sells his rarefied product to a discerning clientele. Only Miro’s not growing heirloom tomatoes or making organic wine—he’s growing weed. And when Miro hits the big time by winning Amsterdam’s famed Cannabis Cup, cannasseurs and ganjaficionados aren’t the only people who want a piece of him and his mind-blowing pot that tastes l ...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by Grove/Atlantic, Black Cat (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Baked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baked

Andrew Cheney-Feid
Sep 04, 2011 Andrew Cheney-Feid rated it it was amazing
Not a pothead, Mormon missionary, Irish-Hispanic gangster, or an unscrupulous owner of cannibas-for-medicinal-purposes centers.

I did, however, laugh out loud and devour the novel in just a few sittings. It is one more in a delicious string of books from this author whose lovable, fallibile and, at times, downright dispicably hilarious characters aren't afraid to dispose of their adversaries in the desert.

Loved it!
Edan
Aug 11, 2010 Edan rated it really liked it
Fun, fun, fun!

Marijuana, taco trucks, strap-ons, murders, Amsterdam, Eagle Rock, bondage. What more could a reader want in a summer read? This was a rollicking good crime novel.

My only complaint is that twice the book had "parent's" when it should have been "parents'"...that is just inexcusable! Where is the copy editor?

Eric
Aug 24, 2010 Eric rated it really liked it
Lots of fun! I want to be a character in this book - they all live in my neighborhood!
Adam
May 09, 2010 Adam rated it really liked it
Recommended to Adam by: Mark Haskell Smith
Shelves: fiction
This was another solid, action packed and crazy novel by Mark Haskell Smith.

I have read all of his books so far, and this one stands apart from the rest in that there are quite a few more characters and quite a few more things going on in general throughout the book, and a few more twists than in his previous works. Smith has a great gift for being able to connect all of the characters and show events unfolding from several different angles, all the while giving us a very comic look at the pers
Matt Smith
Sep 16, 2011 Matt Smith rated it really liked it
Okay, I admit it, the cover of Mark Haskell Smith's Baked is what caught my attention at first. However, it was the back cover description and critical praise that put Smith on par as being "as riotous as Carl Hiaasen on really good dope" that piqued my literary curiosity for terrific satire.

Meet Miro. He's a part-time botonist and "gentleman farmer" in Los Angeles. Okay, let's be blunt (pun intended) — he grows some seriously awesome weed. After Miro wins Amsterdam's Cannibis Cup everyone wants
Stacy Fetters
Nov 10, 2014 Stacy Fetters rated it it was amazing
Think I found another favorite author.

Cannabis cup winning ganja, a "gangbanger" named Shamus, Amsterdam, Mormon's speaking the good word and all of this leading up to weird heinous crimes.

"But would God fart like a donkey? Did Jesus cut the cheese?

Exactly at page one, I was reeled into the life of a award winning ganja grower. Before and after he was shot for the power of pot. His life takes on some serious turns as he try's to find who shot him and stole all of his seeds. He befriends a Morm
James
Aug 28, 2011 James rated it really liked it
Recommended to James by: Aloud LA
Shelves: aloud
Baked, as with all of Mark Haskell Smith's other work, did not disappoint. This story was just as unique and interesting as his other fiction. Set in Los Angeles and Amsterdam, Baked draws on Smith's personal experience researching the annual Cannabis Cup competition for his reporting for the Los Angeles Times and his excellent non-fiction book on the same subject, Heart of Dankness. My only disappointment is that I have now read all of Smith's books and that I must now wait for his next work to ...more
Chris
Oct 19, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
I once heard that Chuck Palahniuk was worried about meeting one of his writing heroes, Amy Hemple, that she would not be the person he imagined her to be. If you're wondering what Mark Haskell Smith is like, you'll find a good indication here. A dark humorist, laid back guy, who likes to keep the action moving and the violence in his life restricted to his novels.

While I admit that MOIST is still my favorite of his, I enjoyed BAKED. I'll say it here and now that not everyone will enjoy this book
David
Aug 07, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
"Baked" has got to be Mark's best work yet. It is completely wild and funny and at the same time the writing is very tight and clean. He has incredible characters in unimaginable circumstances and he pulls it all off like it is completely natural. A lesser writer might try to use Mark's type of material to flash and awe the reader, distract them from the actual writing. Mark doesn't do that, though. The insane aspects are fully integrated with all the necessary components of a good story. They c ...more
jeff caddell
Mar 07, 2011 jeff caddell rated it it was amazing
One of the best books that I have read in a very long time. For once i have found an author that can keep me entertained throughout an entire book. I started on this book and never wanted to put it down, finished it in three days (which is good for me considering my work schedule). I'm not very good at giving explanations and details so sorry for the lack of graphic description but trust me you will not be sorry you picked up this book, it makes me wish I would have learned of him sooner because ...more
Brandon James
Jan 12, 2013 Brandon James rated it really liked it
Oh so tempted to give this five stars. Easily the best and most enjoyable book I've read in the last few months. I wish I had read this book when I first got it so I could have spent the last year reading everything else by Mark Haskell Smith. Great subject matter and pacing. The author did a fantastic job giving a distinct voice to each of the major characters, from the timid little Mormon, Daniel to Shamus, the gun toting pot dealer. Laughed out loud and loved every single page. Can't wait to ...more
Tiffany Hawk
Aug 19, 2010 Tiffany Hawk rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The only disappointment was coming to the end, and maybe losing sleep when I couldn’t put it down. Subtly layered under the hilarious and suspenseful plot, are moving and thought provoking questions about life and spirituality. When lesser writers try to get too deep, I find myself groaning. Haskell Smith was spot on.
Even if you’re turned off by drug use, as I am, I think you will thoroughly enjoy this read.
Tim
May 04, 2010 Tim rated it it was amazing
The botany and business behind marijuana provide the perfect subject for Mark Haskell Smith's wily, subversive voice. The book teems with sex, drugs, and violence, but it's all so hilariously cheerful. There's no question the book is coming from a good place.

I tried recently to explain a scene in which a near-assassination is unraveled by a sex toy, but I kept laughing too much at the awesome of audacity of it.
Diogenes
Mar 27, 2015 Diogenes rated it really liked it
Absolute fun. If you're not upset by smoking and growing pot, not taking religion too seriously (the discovery of heavenly pleasure by some Mormon missionaries is LOL) or the antics of some very nasty people, you'll by tickled by nearly every page of this novel. Smith feels like an original hybrid of Carl Hiaasen, Elmore Leonard and Dave Barry. And this may be his best.
Kelly
May 30, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
This can only be described as "dude lit." fast action, guns, drugs, a little kinky sex for good measure. Excellent beach or plane reading, easily read in a day.
Janc Mendoza
May 21, 2012 Janc Mendoza rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK EVER
Lauren
Jul 18, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Super enlightening. It truly reflects how the drug war is completely pointless and causes more violence. Decriminalize drugs and put drug gangs to an end, America.
Hallie
Jan 27, 2011 Hallie rated it really liked it
“Baked,” Mark Haskell Smith’s very funny fourth crime novel, tells a sprawling story. The protagonist is Miro Basinos, a sweet underground botanist who’s turned three rooms of his 1950s Los Angeles tract house into a sophisticated indoor farm. He’s a consummate geek, and he relishes telling how he started with a strain of cannabis from Northern Thailand (“undiluted, pure, old-school Thai sativa”), crossed it with a strain wild Hawaiian Indica, and refined it endlessly until he was satisfied. The ...more
Amy
Dec 16, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
My review for Library Journal:
If books came with MPAA ratings, Smith’s fourth novel (after Moist, Delicious, and Salty) would definitely get an NC-17. But if you can’t tell that from looking at the cover (the ARC showed a silhouette of a nude woman with marijuana leaves covering her breasts), rest assured that the novel contains plenty of drug references, drug use, and sexual content. But it’s also a tightly plotted, well-paced caper with a message, à la Carl Hiaasen. Miro, our hero, is an exper
Tony DuShane
Sep 10, 2010 Tony DuShane rated it it was amazing
I laughed out loud, I underlined passages, my copy of the book looks like it's been beat up all to hell because of my notes throughout.

There was no way I couldn't deface the copy, there are so many passages that deserve a second reading....and I plan to give it another read sometime in the next year.

It's a literary fun bag, and refreshing to read in a world of authors who tend to take themselves too seriously. Myself included.

It's a fast read and as the characters come together to interact with
Nicole
Nov 29, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
Funny novel about a botanist Miro who designed a superior brand of weed that ends up winning the Academy Award of pot in Amsterdam, the Cannabis Cup. His superior product gets the attention of some seedy underworld characters who seek to take over the distribution of "Elephant Crush". Smith writes with a sarcasism and humor that reminds me of Elmore Leonard's works (ie "Get Shorty", etc) with lots of subtle jabs of laughter. Passages are filled with modern scenes of drugs, crime, sex and even th ...more
Walter
May 15, 2014 Walter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a lot of avid readers of fiction I often find myself at a loss for what to read next. I have grown so tired of the same old plots, and characters, sometimes I find myself rereading old books I know I can count on. I was having one of those nights when I came across Baked. I didn't get any sleep that night. Smith's style reminds me of Elmore Leonard, shocking, funny and utterly readable.
Angel
Apr 18, 2013 Angel rated it it was amazing
Baked is a thoroughly fun book. Baked is full of intrigue, murder, good guys, bad guys and even a few Mormons thrown in. It is a Cops and robbers whirlwind. Miro is a botanist who wins the famous Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam. Little does he know what insanity is coming into his life. Baked flows well and is a laugh out-loud type of book. Definitely an amusing read. The thrills, twists and unexpected plot is worth the read. I highly recommend it.
Christopher
Apr 18, 2013 Christopher rated it it was amazing
I first heard of Mark Haskell Smith by a reader of one of my books who said I had to try Smith. I downloaded a sample of "Baked" on my Kindle and when I came to the end of the sample, I had to know what happened and bought it. I've since read two more of his novels. "Baked" simply got me involved. I ended up writing a whole blog on "Baked." You can read it here: http://redroom.com/member/christopher...
Brandon Nagel
Mar 31, 2013 Brandon Nagel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
From the Cannibis Cup in Amsterdam to the streets of L.A. Marajuana, mayhem, Mormons, and madness. Easily one of my favorite reads in a long time. 5 stars all the way. Laugh out loud funny crime novel. I am going to be reading Smith's whole catalog after this masterpiece. Recomended for all drive lovers and marijuana lovers out there. Couldn't put this one down!
Stacy Burke
Oct 26, 2010 Stacy Burke rated it it was ok
It's obvious that Mark Haskell Smith worked in TV. The book's predictable, following a strict formula, and the characters all seem to be movie fillers, most notably the screw up best friend of the protagonist. Basically, I thought it was a failed Coen Brothers movie. Throwing a strap on into a story does not make it a good story.
Emily Linacre
Jan 17, 2015 Emily Linacre rated it really liked it
wildly entertaining; diverse cast of characters just quirky enough to be realistic; interesting to learn of the "cannabis cup" and the intricate science of creating marijuana strains--it's serious business.
N.K.
Oct 18, 2014 N.K. rated it it was amazing
Bought this on a whim and really enjoyed it. Really like Mr. Smith's writing style. Funny and well-written. The story moved along. The characters were very interesting and easy to follow without becoming annoyed as the plot progressed.
Tuck
Sep 23, 2010 Tuck rated it it was ok
farcical noir? some good violence and sex here, and fairly knowledgeable about kb and the life of 4:20ers and mormons. i guess this is entertaining and well written but not my style. if i want sardonic and "funny" with my noir i will stick with Robert Lewis, Daniel Chavarria, and Patrick Hamilton.
Chris Holt
Apr 28, 2016 Chris Holt rated it really liked it
Fun, irreverent and funny. It moves really quick. I've never read a screenplay before, but I felt like that's what I was reading. I wasn't surprised to find out afterward that the author is also a screenwriter.
  • The Riptide Ultra-Glide (Serge Storms, #16)
  • Strip
  • Fake I.D. (Hard Case Crime #56)
  • Everybody Smokes In Hell
  • Frank Sinatra in a Blender
  • Hell on Church Street
  • Reefer Madness: A History of Marijuana
  • Flash and Filigree
  • The Hasheesh Eater: Being Passages from the Life of a Pythagorean
  • No Sleep Till Wonderland (Mark Genevich, #2)
  • Pot Planet: Adventures in Global Marijuana Culture
  • A Death in China
  • The Speed Chronicles
  • Pain Killers
  • The Cocaine Chronicles
  • Mortal Lock
  • Stop This Man! (Hard Case Crime #58)
  • Smokescreen
Mark Haskell Smith is the author of five novels and the nonfiction books Naked at Lunch and Heart of Dankness. His work has appeared in the Los Angeles Times, the Los Angeles Review of Books, The Independent, Salon, Literary Hub, Slate, Howler, and Vulture.

He lives in Los Angeles. He likes Mexican food.
More about Mark Haskell Smith...

“One bullet can really fuck up your day.” 11 likes